Akira

The Hurricane

Sidekick
Reaction score
Hey, any fans around here for AKira. I love it to death. Heard a roomer a while ago that tere were talks for makiong it into a live action movie. Wouldnt that be intense

When you talk Anime/Manga, you have to talk Akira. This film did so much for the genre and influenced a lot of people. I love the movie myself, I don't watch it as much as I could or should admittedly. But a bonafide classic no doubt.

actually just watched it again yesterday

I wasn't initially a fan of the new dubbing, I'll always picture Kaneda as voiced by Cam Clarke. But Johnny Yong Bosch did a good job.

I admit,I've never seen it. What's it about?

it's set about thirty years in the future, after Tokyo was destroyed in World War 3, and has been rebuilt as Neo-Tokyo. The real reason for Tokyo's destruction was government experimenting which led to the augmentation of four children. The most powerful of these children, Akira, was the cause of the explosion that destroyed the city.

Flash forward thirty years and the movie concentrates on a teenage gang of punk bikers. After an encounter with one of the other three augmented children, one of the bikers, named Tetsuo, begins to develop powers as well, eventually driving him mad.

The first time I watched it, I didn't really like it, but after seeing it a few times, it's great. I haven't read the manga yet though.

A live action version could be really good, or really bad. If they made it, I'd like to see it be based on the manga more. Not that the anime should have been closer; I would just like to see the manga's differing story elements on screen.

The Hurricane said:
Hey, any fans around here for AKira. I love it to death. Heard a roomer a while ago that tere were talks for makiong it into a live action movie. Wouldnt that be intense

Yeah, the last I heard of live-action rumors, it was said to be directed by...Pitof.

To say the least, if that happened, in the words of Jigsaw, "There will be blood."

As for the movie itself, I haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking for it. :up:

I watched this lastnight and was wondering what everyones interpretations of the end were? What was with the unfinished sentences? Where did Tutsuo go wit those kids?:confused:

I still have the 1994 VHS copy of Akira with the Siskel & Ebert two thumbs up review on the box, I also got the DVD with the new dubbing.

They've been talking about a live action movie for years and just like Dragonball Z it ain't gonna happen.

I have seen the movie and the movie was crap. Worst movie I have seen in years. The only reason I watched it all the way through was because one of the voice actor was a power ranger who also later voices vash from trigun. The movie was bad but the manga is fantastic great read. So lesson learned kids never read the book before you watch the movie.

deathshead2 said:
I have seen the movie and the movie was crap. Worst movie I have seen in years. The only reason I watched it all the way through was because one of the voice actor was a power ranger who also later voices vash from trigun. The movie was bad but the manga is fantastic great read. So lesson learned kids never read the book before you watch the movie.
you watched it ebcause of a power ranger. Thats sad.

Wait which Power Ranger?

I've seen it once, I think I need to see it again though to fully appreciate it.

Wolfwood said:
Wait which Power Ranger?

I've seen it once, I think I need to see it again though to fully appreciate it.
I can't spell his name but he was the green zeo ranger though.:up: Also it seems now people will make fun of me for that. Hey its not my falt someone should have thought of making the movie better first before they put this pile of crap out.

deathshead2 said:

Sure the worst movie movie you have seen in years...yeahhh......:rolleyes:

deathshead2 said:
:( You can't spell because. Thats sad.:(

That's obviously a typo

Guyverjay said:
Sure the worst movie movie you have seen in years...yeahhh......:rolleyes:

That's obviously a typo
Yeah I know it was a tybo I was just messing with you because you were making fun of me. For the power rangers comment. Really I didn't like Akira I read the manga excepting all the detail from it to be in the movie. Even though I can only blaim myself for it because the movie only has a short amount of time to tell the story. So it can't go into all the detail of the 8 vol manga. So its not the movie its me. But I do like steamboy that was cool.:up:

deathshead2 said:
Yeah I know it was a tybo I was just messing with you because you were making fun of me. For the power rangers comment. Really I didn't like Akira I read the manga excepting all the detail from it to be in the movie. Even though I can only blaim myself for it because the movie only has a short amount of time to tell the story. So it can't go into all the detail of the 8 vol manga. So its not the movie its me. But I do like steamboy that was cool.:up:

Um I'm NOT the Hurricane so I wasn't making fun of you:confused:

Fine I think everyone can agree that the manga is better but the worst movie you've seen in YEARS? Unless every film you've watched these past few years has been top quality I would say you're exaggerating

Guyverjay said:
Um I'm NOT the Hurricane so I wasn't making fun of you:confused:

Fine I think everyone can agree that the manga is better but the worst movie you've seen in YEARS? Unless every film you've watched these past few years has been top quality I would say you're exaggerating
Oh sorry your DBZ thing confused me sorry for the mix up there. Anyway its proboly not the worst one but right now I can't remember that many bad movies at the moment.

You're talking about Johnny Yong Bosch (Vash on Trigun) who replaced Cam Clarke (old Leonardo, new He-Man) as Kaneda in the new english translation of Akira. Johnny was the second Black Power Ranger, Adam. He was also in both movies, and became the Green Ranger in PW Zeo and Turbo. He then went on to almost exclusively do voice acting gigs in games and anime translations.

Hey those Japanese X-Men intros were incredible, they even mimicked Jim Lee's art style with all that ridiculous cross hatching inking style.

Now why in the hell couldn't the American version be animated that well?

deathshead2 said:
:( You can't spell because. Thats sad.:(
typo dude. Just curious how you can be a fan of the power rangers and not of the movie?

Elijya said:
You're talking about Johnny Yong Bosch (Vash on Trigun) who replaced Cam Clarke (old Leonardo, new He-Man) as Kaneda in the new english translation of Akira. Johnny was the second Black Power Ranger, Adam. He was also in both movies, and became the Green Ranger in PW Zeo and Turbo. He then went on to almost exclusively do voice acting gigs in games and anime translations.
Yes thats his name I just can't remember how to spell his name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"