Alien Appreciation Thread

The Female Torch said:
I dont desire to watch a movie with sex and bad language in it, I'm a christian, we dont watch that stuff.

I have seen movies with that in them.

I just have a thing about not watching sexual content...

GET OFF MY BACK

I'm a Catholic and I've watched films that are scores worse than Alien.

The Female Torch said:
I dont desire to watch a movie with sex and bad language in it, I'm a christian, we dont watch that stuff.

GET OFF MY BACK
Umm, yeah. No.

The Female Torch said:

GET OFF MY BACK

Don't label me in with your supersticious lot, just because I believe that violence doesn't solve anything, and forgiveness is the path to happiness doesn't mean I can enjoy gratutious violence, sex, and of course BAD ASS MOTHA****A LANGUAGE! Movies are a mirror of society, and perhaps the blackness of our souls, which everyone has, the blackness that is not the souls for all you athiests out there, it's an outlet to enjoy pain, suffering, and in the end kicking ass, because we ourselves never will shoot or kill a man, because in real life the consequences outwiegh that 2 second rush of adrenline... So again I'm a Christian, albeit a Catholic, don't lump us all in with people who don't like gratutious gore or nudity, hell... We wouldn't have Evil Dead if we were all like that /rant

Movies205 said:
Don't label me in with your supersticious lot, just because I believe that violence doesn't solve anything, and forgiveness is the path to happiness doesn't mean I can enjoy gratutious violence, sex, and of course BAD ASS MOTHA****A LANGUAGE! Movies are a mirror of society, and perhaps the blackness of our souls, which everyone has, it's an outlet to enjoy pain, suffering, and in the end kicking ass, because we ourselves never will shoot or kill a man, because in real life the consequences outwiegh that 2 second rush of adrenline... So again I'm a Christian, albeit a Catholic, don't lump us all in with people who don't like gratutious gore or nudity, hell... We wouldn't have Evil Dead if we were all like that /rant

Movies205 =

john_hurt.jpg

OWNED!

I just think it's sad that a nineteen year old woman is so opposed to sexuality, but apparently is fine with violence.

It just seems like such an odd microcosmic representation of our society in general.

JLBats said:
I just think it's sad that a nineteen year old woman is so opposed to sexuality, but apparently is fine with violence.

It just seems like such an odd microcosmic representation of our society in general.

Well I agree slightly with that assement but surely not for the naive and supersticious reasons mentioned. I believe gratutious sex is worse simply for the subtle message it sends out that women are sexual objects, while violence it's taught from an early age, I hope, is wrong and it doesn't solve anything.

JLBats said:

I am an odd person o_O

Leave me alone you guys about my choises I dont ***** to you guys about watching sexually contented movies :down

The Female Torch said:
I am an odd person o_O

Leave me alone you guys about my choises I dont ***** to you guys about watching sexually contented movies :down

It's not your choice. It's just that it seems a little odd that you don't want to watch Aliens because you've been told it has mild nudity, but you're willing to watch Alien, which is filled with sexual symbolism.

The Female Torch said:
I am an odd person o_O

This forum is a place for the discussion of ideas, if you don't have any, except what your preacher is dishing out, why do you come? I'm perfectly fine with your not liking gratutious movies based on your faith, I'm simply saying there are those of us, who also are of that faith, who don't take the scriptures to mean the curbing of artistic expression.

JLBats said:
It's not your choice. It's just that it seems a little odd that you don't want to watch Aliens because you've been told it has mild nudity, but you're willing to watch Alien, which is filled with sexual symbolism.

Don't tell her what the Alien head symbolizes, she might not be old enough, I remember on the commentary one of the actresses just kept bringing it up every five minutes, it was really awkward :(

Movies205 said:
This forum is a place for the discussion of ideas, if you don't have any, except what your preacher is dishing out, why do you come? I'm perfectly fine with your not liking gratutious movies based on your faith, I'm simply saying there are those of us, who also are of that faith, who don't take the scriptures to mean the curbing of artistic expression.

My ideas are moral, people just take it as preaching...

Movies205 said:
Don't tell her what the Alien head symbolizes, she might not be old enough, I remember on the commentary one of the actresses just kept bringing it up every five minutes, it was really awkward :(

Great thanks for ruining it :down

I'm not too young, I can figure it out on my own, now I dont even want to watch it anymore :down

I still think Alien is cool looking though

The Female Torch said:
My ideas are moral, people just take it as preaching...

Not everyone takes to such a set definition of morality. Many don't take to your definition at all.

The Female Torch said:

You do realize you live in a society obsessed with sex.... I'm not quite sure if you've stepped out of that cave of yours :(

The Female Torch said:

Seriously, don't worry about it. Art can be enjoyed on a level, even if it has a moral agenda to it that doesn't agree with yours.

For instance, I don't agree with a Western morality, but I still love the aesthetics of Westerns, and find the Western to be an infinitely cinematic genre.

So, while you may not agree with blatant sexuality, and while most horror movies are basically metaphors for repressed sexuality in general, you can still enjoy them on other levels.

Movies205 said:
You do realize you live in a society obsessed with sex.... I'm not quite sure if you've stepped out of that cave of yours :(

Just because I live in the society I dont have to be part of the society, I am aware, I know more than you think I do :down

I am in the world but not OF the world, I dont fallow the trend.
I dont do what all the other girls do.
So i just deal with the crap people throw at me

The Female Torch said:

I'm not too young, I can figure it out on my own, now I dont even want to watch it anymore :down

I still think Alien is cool looking though

Welcome to the beauty of art, you take what you want from it. I personally don't subscribe to that thinking on the alien head, I personally just think it was some sex depraved has-been actress who just clinged on to the phallous imagery of the head, but hey... With art it's anyone's ball park... Does that make it all right for you again?

The Female Torch said:
Just because I live in the society I dont have to be part of the society, I am aware, I know more than you think I do :down

I am in the world but not OF the world, I dont fallow the trend.
I dont do what all the other girls do.
So i just deal with the crap people throw at me

What does that have to do with anything? I'm simply saying that in this society it's literally obsessed with sex, so there are plenty of movies that deal with it in a variety of ways, from makign jokes about, to having a direct plot devices made otu of it, subtle themes, etc. I'm just saying I don't get how you avoid movies about sex unless your watching VeggieTales?

Movies205 said:
Welcome to the beauty of art, you take what you want from it. I personally don't subscribe to that thinking on the alien head, I personally just think it was some sex depraved has-been actress who just clinged on to the phallous imagery of the head, but hey... With art it's anyone's ball park... Does that make it all right for you again?

Ummm okay? Now you lost me.

Yes to each thier own, the acrtess is a little sex obssesed x(

Why do they have to pack a perfectly good horror film with sex symbols?!!!

*cries*

The Female Torch said:
Ummm okay? Now you lost me.

Yes to each thier own, the acrtess is a little sex obssesed x(

*cries*

Well, like I said above, most horror is all about metaphorical repressed sexuality.

Movies205 said:
What does that have to do with anything? I'm simply saying that in this society it's literally obsessed with sex, so there are plenty of movies that deal with it in a variety of ways, from makign jokes about, to having a direct plot devices made otu of it, subtle themes, etc. I'm just saying I don't get how you avoid movies about sex unless your watching VeggieTales?

I try to ignoree the inuendos, I'm not so protective I dont get sex humor, I get it, but I dont laugh. I'm 19, I know what is in this world, stop calling me stupid.

I just choose to watch other things, I hardly watch movies and TV anyway.

But I do love horror films

The Female Torch said:

Funny, I never saw Sigourney Weaver as being recognizes as this mesmerizingly sexy woman along the lines of Grace Kelly, Marilyn Monroe or Michelle Pfeiffer.

And I really don't see any sexual symbolism in Alien, other than the possibility that Lambert was raped before the alien killed her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"