The JAWS Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Gamingboy, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Erzengel

Erzengel |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I'd add Star Wars to that list.

2. Drizzle

Drizzle I got my cake.

I wanted to see the rerelease today, but since I don't really have a lot of time to go see movies in theaters right now, I opted to see Inside Out instead and watch this one on Blu-ray when I got home. This movie never gets old.

3. danoyse

danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

Just got back from the TCM screening tonight. This is one of my favorite movies, but I’d never seen it in the theater before. It was SO great. The show was completely sold out, and the audience was amazing.

Everyone applauded when Quint first appeared. And they cheered at “You’re going to need a bigger boat”, and at the aftermath of “Smile, you son of a....!”

And even better, people were jumping out of their seats and screaming - the biggest reaction was Ben Gardner’s head falling out of the wrecked boat.

It was perfect. I’ve always wanted to see that in the theater, and I’m so glad I finally got the chance. It looked fantastic on the big screen, and it holds up better than ever now.

4. Lord

Lord All Mighty

This is worrying. Though i do see more potential in a new Jaws film than a Back to the Future one. Anyway, i realy hope they're not seriously considering a remake, i wouldn't mind it if they just did a follow up with new characters and motivation that could acknowledge the first film happened, sort of like Jurassic World did.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/03/are-universal-pictures-and-steven-spielberg-circling-a-remake-of-jaws-5374414/

While they kick started the Blockbuster era, i don't think they have ages as well as other blockbusters, E.T. for example doesn't seem to get as much talked about, but it has barely aged since it was released imao.

The Back to the Future trilogy has also surprisingly not aged much, aside from the instory ideas of 2015 and references, the style and pacing remains exactly the same modern films follow, not even having those slower scenes film back then used to have.

5. Brian Braddock

Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

I wouldn't be too concerned - it's only the Metro and they are far from reliable.

6. Supernova

Supernova Well-Known Member

Jaws has aged pretty well I think. Still makes people think twice when they go into the water.

7. Brian Braddock

Indeed it does. Saw it when I was four, was a HUGE thing for me to get over [wouldn't go into the sea, recurring nightmares etc] and it's now my favorite movie. If [and I do mean if] there is one thing that could be touched up with CG, I think they could do something with the FX where Bruce jumps onto the ORCA [it's funny, FX criticisms aside, for all the criticisms of that scene in regards to believability one only has to watch AIR JAWS on the Discovery Channel to see Great Whites leaping out of the water - I assume that's what they were going for].

8. antonydelfini

antonydelfini Strange Tales

Jaws and Raiders are timeless.

9. Lord

Lord All Mighty

They're great, but i don't think they have aged nearly as well as other films i pointed out, not that it makes them worse films, just means people nowadays in their 8-20s might have a harder time getting into them. I myself watched Raiders only when i was 16 years old and i remember not liking it all that much, i prefered Last Crusade, even though i've come to apreciate Raiders more over the past years.

Classics are classics for a good reason, but the older they are, the harder it is for people who are accostumed to modern films to get into them. For example, i loved Ben-Hur and Casablanca, and i think they have aged very well, but i doubt most people i know would be able to get into them.

10. Teelie

Teelie The Incredulous Spider-Man

I just finished rewatching Jaws: The Revenge a few minutes ago. I hadn't seen it in at least 15-20 years.

It is a great terrible movie. There are some scenes that truly are good, they would have gone well in a shark attack movie not tied down with so much useless clutter related to Jaws and with some better effects.

The ones that spring to mind as the best would be the scene in the sunken ship where Michael is trying to escape Jaws and has several near misses. And then the scene where Jaws comes right up on Jake (Mario van Peebles) in the mini submersible. Who expects a 25-30' shark to just pop up from nowhere in the Bahamas? Most of the water scenes in fact were pretty well done. That is where this movie is at its best.

The obvious exception is the finale which I'll get to.

Having the Brody family and especially Ellen's insistence the shark is stalking her family ruins everything else. The "alternate" ending is the most ridiculous and stupid conclusions in the history of cinema. I can't think of any movie with a more absurd and nonsensical finale. Blowing up the shark with the wodden tip of the boat's bow? How in the hell did they think that was logical in any way at all? What was explosive? This is not helped by the liberal reusing of the exploding shark footage from the first movie.

The original but still ridiculous ending of the shark being impaled on the bow is better (and excessively bloody) though it does not explain why the shark roars (no vocal cords or lungs) as it is zapped by the device. Why would it shoot up out of the water like that instead of trying to swim away or into deeper water? There is no explaining that logic.

All of that said, it was still fun to watch the movie. I would not want to see a remake of Jaws so much as another shark attack movie in the same vein but with the added scene of trying to escape from the sunken ship as it stalks the diver(s). Just maybe a little more plausibly large sunken ship. This one looked too small for a shark that size to enter it let alone swim menacingly around.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  11. Teelie

I watched Jaws 2 today and while a wholly unnecessary sequel it still stands up well enough compared to other sequels. This movie had no reason to exist except to cash in on the first one and it even treads over many of the same plot points but they made it just different enough to allow it to exist on its own.

You never had to have seen Jaws to understand this movie even as it references it. Everything was neatly contained.

I think if there ever is a reboot of the Jaws franchise (and these days you know they're itching for it) they should incorporate some of the elements from this into it.

Like I said previously though, I would rather they make an unrelated shark attack movie with the same kind of adventure, horror and seriousness of the first movie. One that isn't a blatant rip off of Jaws so much as a call back or homage. And add just a bit from this.

I have no intention of watching the worst of the Jaws movies, Jaws 3D. It was even worse than Jaws the Revenge IMO and that was a bad movie.

12. Brian Braddock

I'd watch 3D over Revenge any day of the week, to be honest.

13. A Necessary Evil

A Necessary Evil One. Bad. Day.

Jaws 3D sucks, but I absolutely and totally loathe Revenge. 19 was pretty good tho

14. Brian Braddock

3D at least has a nice retro early 80's vibe though, a great Alan Parker score and decent actors; its rubbish but its entertaining rubbish. Whereas apart from Seans death, Revenge literally has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, apart from if you watch it like youre watching a comedy.

15. Dave McFly

Dave McFly Zemeckis Cube!

I always liked that guy he was funny

16. Teelie

I watched it not quite like a comedy but close to it. There were some really stupid and lazy things done in Jaws 3D, like the entire 3D part where the shark literally does nothing but float into the glass and break it but there is no movement whatsoever. That singular part alone is enough to put it on the bottom of the pile for me.

17. DarkKnight88

DarkKnight88 Well-Known Member

[YT]_kdeY0SSvEc[/YT]

Crazy if true.

18. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

If you want a masterclass in filmmaking, watch the inlet scene.

From the joke of the two kids playing a practical joke, to the shark quietly entering the unmonitored area, to chief Brody going from “oh I have to check it as part of my job” to “oh no, this might be something” to the horror of the kids on the raft and the first proper look at the shark. Perfect scene

19. Schlosser85

Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

I never quite got why Brody thought the pond was safe when the ocean feeds straight into it.

20. Broseph44

Broseph44 Witness Me

Well considering hardly anybody really seemed to be using the pond. It was 4th of July weekend. The big attraction was people visiting to go to the beach. I doubt these visitors went on vacation to Amity to go to the pond. And Brody likely assumes the massive amount of people in the water at the beach is more of a target and attraction for the shark then a few people in the pond.