Homecoming All the technical details of this deal

I think it's highly unlikely that they'll shut spiderman out of the mcu after av3. that wouldn't make any sense considering continuity.

^ I don't see that (the arrangement expiring) happening either, but that doesn't mean people should be taking the perpetual extension of the deal as a given.

It's a lousy deal with enough technical loopholes in it that can be potentially problematic. the last thing the MCU needs is a couple of subpar associated movies.

On the plus side Sony and EON have a similar relationship and it works pretty well

Even if films are subpar, the world will continue spinning. Incredible Hulk being subpar and a disappointment didn't muck everything up.

It's in Sony's best interests to keep this arrangement going in perpetuity, but the current parameters of it do not specify a continuing direct creative involvement for Feige/Marvel Studios beyond the 2017 Spidey film, and Sony is not under any obligation - according to the parameters of the current deal - to extend that direct creative involvement beyond that film.

Well right now you are pushing the fact that this deal is not a guarantee. That's obvious: nothing in life is a guarantee.

has there been any indication that the deal will expire after 2018? if this is the spiderman sony will be using from here on out, it doesn't make sense for them to separate from the mcu after phase 3.

There is no indication that the deal will expire, just no confirmation that it will be indefinite. But either way, once Spider-Man is in the MCU, he's in the MCU. Whatever happens in the 2017 film will always be Marvel canon.

I think it's highly unlikely that they'll shut spiderman out of the mcu after av3. that wouldn't make any sense considering continuity.

Same.

^ I don't see that (the arrangement expiring) happening either, but that doesn't mean people should be taking the perpetual extension of the deal as a given.

Well you're right, we should not take the perpetual extension of the deal as a given because, well, nothing is really a given. For all we know RDJ could get sick and drop out of Captain America: Civil War. There are no guarantees in life. But right now we can assume that Sony and Marvel will continue to work together past the 2017 film.

Well right now you are pushing the fact that this deal is not a guarantee. That's obvious: nothing in life is a guarantee.

There is no indication that the deal will expire, just no confirmation that it will be indefinite. But either way, once Spider-Man is in the MCU, he's in the MCU. Whatever happens in the 2017 film will always be Marvel canon.

Same.

Well you're right, we should not take the perpetual extension of the deal as a given because, well, nothing is really a given. For all we know RDJ could get sick and drop out of Captain America: Civil War. There are no guarantees in life. But right now we can assume that Sony and Marvel will continue to work together past the 2017 film.

agreed on all :up:

Assuming the 2017 film is a success, it would be moronic for Sony to not want to work with Feige past the first film.

First, if the film is a success, it will first and foremost be due to input from Feige/Marvel Studios, both in terms of creative control and the novelty that comes with the MCU. That's not to say people will eat it up just because it's the MCU, but the fact it is the MCU generates a level of hype that can combat any preconceived notion of the franchise, especially in terms of why they're having a reboot so soon. The Webb reboot did not have such luxury going into it.

Second, Sony is still on thin ice with the fandom and the media in regards to TASM 2. The Marvel brand is in now, while Sony's franchise was quickly dying not too long ago. If they choose to cut off Feige or Marvel from the sequel, people would not be in their favor, and they know that. It would cause massive backlash.

Third, I trust Marvel wasn't stupid enough to make a deal allows Sony to screw them over down the line. I don't know what the terms would be, but I imagine it would be somewhat ongoing. Marvel/Disney had to have taken in account what they would do once Sony's franchise is back on track. I do think there will be a studio battle for the character down the line, but I don't see it anytime soon.

The only way Marvel has any chance of getting the character rights back is if they use their involvement to deliberately tank the 2017 film, but that would be shooting themselves in the foot because it'd just piss Sony off and deprive them of the ability to actually use Spider-Man themselves. It'd also probably kick off a costly legal battle.

The beauty of this deal is that Feige doesn't have to be directly involved in future films on Sony's end in order for Sony to reap the benefits of the arrangement. All they really have to do is let him help them right the ship and then steer it on their own - which I think they're more than capable of doing - whilst letting him and MS occasionally 'borrow' their character(s) and not doing anything that would paint him and MS into a corner as far as using the character(s).

I'm kinda surprised that Marvel co-financing the solo Spider-Man films isn't apart of this deal. Seems like such a situation would've Marvel more leverage as far as creative control goes while lessoning the financial risk to Sony.

I'm kinda surprised that Marvel co-financing the solo Spider-Man films isn't apart of this deal. Seems like such a situation would've Marvel more leverage as far as creative control goes while lessoning the financial risk to Sony.

Agree. Maybe Sony thinks connecting Spidey to the MCU and getting input from Feige is enough to lessen the risk. And they don't have to share profits.

Assuming the 2017 film is a success, it would be moronic for Sony to not want to work with Feige past the first film.

First, if the film is a success, it will first and foremost be due to input from Feige/Marvel Studios, both in terms of creative control and the novelty that comes with the MCU. That's not to say people will eat it up just because it's the MCU, but the fact it is the MCU generates a level of hype that can combat any preconceived notion of the franchise, especially in terms of why they're having a reboot so soon. The Webb reboot did not have such luxury going into it.

Second, Sony is still on thin ice with the fandom and the media in regards to TASM 2. The Marvel brand is in now, while Sony's franchise was quickly dying not too long ago. If they choose to cut off Feige or Marvel from the sequel, people would not be in their favor, and they know that. It would cause massive backlash.

Third, I trust Marvel wasn't stupid enough to make a deal allows Sony to screw them over down the line. I don't know what the terms would be, but I imagine it would be somewhat ongoing. Marvel/Disney had to have taken in account what they would do once Sony's franchise is back on track. I do think there will be a studio battle for the character down the line, but I don't see it anytime soon.

couldn't have said it any better myself.

If they get the franchise back on track, no one will give sony credit for that, it'll be all "Marvel saved Spidey"

And if sony ever feels like they can go back out on their own without marvel, then thats a whole different wave of backlash. Getting the character in a few MCU movies will only leave the fans hungry for more, I just hope sony realizes that there really isn't any going back on their own after Spidey is made an integral part of the MCU, and all signs point to that being the case with the shifting of phase 3 films and the supposed billions that Disney offered to get the character back in the first place.

Marvel didn't move Civil War to make room for Batman vs. Superman. They are very serious about this Spider-Man movie if they move a ton of their phase 3 films out of the way.

If they get the franchise back on track, no one will give sony credit for that, it'll be all "Marvel saved Spidey"

Which is, quite frankly, BS.

And if sony ever feels like they can go back out on their own without marvel, then thats a whole different wave of backlash. Getting the character in a few MCU movies will only leave the fans hungry for more, I just hope sony realizes that there really isn't any going back on their own after Spidey is made an integral part of the MCU, and all signs point to that being the case with the shifting of phase 3 films and the supposed billions that Disney offered to get the character back in the first place.

Billions that Sony rejected.

The beauty of this arrangement is that it benefits Sony far more directly than it does Marvel Studios, and that they get to reap those benefits without having to really give up all that much.

Unless MCU movies start stinking it up, sony will always be seen as the bad guy. Nothing anyone can do about it.

I agree that the arrangement works out for sony, but they have to do their part as well. This is their 3rd chance, they'd best hire the right creative people to make it work as opposed to hiring a puppet like Marc Webb to carry out their vision.

^ Actually, Kevin Feige can do something about the perception that the success of Sony's solo Spider-Man film is all due to his involvement by publicly stressing that he only did what Sony execs wanted him to do, and by not getting himself involved in any of the follow-ups to that film or Sony's still-forthcoming 'side project' films.

Unless MCU movies start stinking it up, sony will always be seen as the bad guy. Nothing anyone can do about it.

I agree that the arrangement works out for sony, but they have to do their part as well. This is their 3rd chance, they'd best hire the right creative people to make it work as opposed to hiring a puppet like Marc Webb to carry out their vision.
Sony is a very mismanaged studio and I don't think they are capable of doing anything good with Spider-Man without Marvel. And once they put themselves in the MCU they can't get out of it. This new version of Spider-Man will always be canon to the MCU. I guess they could back out, reboot, and no longer make Spider-Man movies that take place in the MCU, but are they that stupid? I hope not.

^ Actually, Kevin Feige can do something about the perception that the success of Sony's solo Spider-Man film is all due to his involvement by publicly stressing that he only did what Sony execs wanted him to do, and by not getting himself involved in any of the follow-ups to that film or Sony's still-forthcoming 'side project' films.

We don't know if he won't get involved in the Spider-Man sequels and we don't know if he is just going to do whatever the executives tell him to. Those spin-off side-projects may not even happen (hopefully they won't).

Sony gets to reap the benefits of Spider-Man being in the MCU even if Feige doesn't have any direct involvement in anything past the 2017 film. They're perfectly capable of building on the foundation(s) that Feige lays down without him constantly being there to 'hold their hands' through everything (even if people don't think they are). Feige is doing them a favor and then will likely step out of the way and let them steer things on their own while occasionally using the establishment of their inter-studio partnership to make suggestions and coordinate things relative to Spidey-s appearance in MS films.

We don't know if he won't get involved in the Spider-Man sequels and we don't know if he is just going to do whatever the executives tell him to. Those spin-off side-projects may not even happen (hopefully they won't).

They're happening. This has already been confirmed.

They're just going to happen on a different timetable than they would've previously.

It's confirmed that the spin-offs are not cancelled and are being reconsidered. That doesn't mean they are really happening. They've been talking about a Venom movie since SM3 and look where that went.

nothing is officially happen until they actually start filming the spinoffs.

Venom and the female-centric movie were already a ways off even before this deal was made. S6 is the only one of the three that has actually had its release status altered by this deal, and, as I noted, it makes sense for Sony to tap the brakes and figure out how to use their new MCU deal to maximize the benefit they can get from the S6 film and their other side project movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"