All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - Part 82

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking about the church scene.

It is Smallville. I found it appropriate that he would have grown up with one of those small town churches and seek some advice in such a situation. It also showed his human side vs Kryptonian mind set in taking this spiritual counsel. Just how I interpreted.

My feeling was, his overall objective was to preserve the human race which would have gone into immediate extinction if Zod won. Also as a Superman fan, I had it in my own head that he is able to see things ahead of time to know if his path of destruction such as going through buildings with Zod... would cause danger. To me, if he was willing to go through those buildings his sense such as xray and sound let him know that he had that pathway to do so.

So when he heat visions the inside of Zod's ship, and crashes into and knocks down several buildings, I'm feeling that's a pretty damn big stretch.

Gotta admit, I did kind of miss farm boy Superman.

We're going to see a TDKR and IM3 divide, no doubt in my mind.

I have my own set vision of a modern Superman and how he would think. I'd say some traditionalists would dislike some aspects that actually make me LOVE the film.

It is Smallville. I found it appropriate that he would have grown up with one of those small town churches and seek some advice in such a situation. It also showed his human side vs Kryptonian mind set in taking this spiritual counsel. Just how I interpreted.

He's talking to the priest about whether or not humanity is worth saving, and right over his soldier, clear as day, is a stained glass picture of Jesus arms outstretched.

It makes the scene the falling scene in Superman Returns actually look subtle.

I'm talking about the church scene.
Love that scene. I think it worked perfectly, especially considering Clark's inner conflict. He needed a little existential guidance at that moment.

Yeah, I think it will divide fans, even the traditionalists. Just hope it doesn't turn ugly like it did for TDKR. So much that I left this site for almost a year. :( Dark times....

He's talking to the priest about whether or not humanity is worth saving, and right over his soldier, clear as day, is a stained glass picture of Jesus arms outstretched.
And you don't expect that in a church why exactly?

So when he heat visions the inside of Zod's ship, and crashes into and knocks down several buildings, I'm feeling that's a pretty damn big stretch.

Zod is an enemy with powers equal to that of Superman. It struck me as quite fitting that he'd destroy his ship in that way. Also with the buildings, like I said, I assume Superman would see his pathway (look at all the xray scenes, the range seems quite far) and know that he is not heading his fight where a human is right near.

When everybody finally gets a chance to see it does anybody foresee a bit of fan divide here between those that love it and those that hate it? Is this movie going to divide a lot of people?

Yeah, the Donner fanboys probably won't like it.

Snyder and Goyer made a huge statement about that.

The end with Zod.

a few tidbits from my experience:

- I think our preconceived notions of "our" Clark Kent/Superman played an effect in some of the so so critic reviews. I actually have such an investment in Smallville's Clark that the first hour of Man of Steel I couldn't help but catch myself thinking of Henry as an imposter. It took Welling ten years to earn the uniform and Cavill gets it tossed to him after 30-40 minutes.
- It seemed like Jor-El predestined him to be Earth's role model. I would have rather had 15 minutes of fewer action scenes to show the formation of Clark's moral compass.
- I would have liked a little more restraint to the destruction in the action sequences. I just kept imagining all of the collateral damage that was occurring during the city scenes. I would have preferred Clark to bring the fight to a more deserted locale.
- The known identity of Superman by Lois is an interesting gamechanger as it occurs at a slower tempo in every other iteration.
- The fighting scenes were unreal as they were so brutal and lightning fast. faora almost seemed to warp around when taking down the army soldiers.
- The ending was a welcome conclusion as it brought us back to more familiar ground to which a sequel can build on.
- Overall I was pleasantly surprised after a half week of negativity from critics as forum posters. Add more character, warmth, and positivity to the sequel and we will be in prime territory.

That's because those type of things exist in a church. Jesus on stained glass is pretty common. Especially in an art style of a small town church I would presume. meh

Zod is an enemy with powers equal to that of Superman. It struck me as quite fitting that he'd destroy his ship in that way. Also with the buildings, like I said, I assume Superman would see his pathway (look at all the xray scenes, the range seems quite far) and know that he is not heading his fight where a human is right near.

I'm sorry, to me that's a huuuuge stretch.

I think my biggest smile came with the whole[BLACKOUT] "General Swanwick/I grew up in Kansas"[/BLACKOUT] line. Perfect. The American iconic. :)

That's because those type of things exist in a church. Jesus on stained glass is pretty common. Especially in an art style of a small town church I would presume. meh

Of course that stuff would be there, but the framing of that shot is done in such an obvious way to show a Christ parallel.

I think my biggest smile came with the whole[BLACKOUT] "General Swanwick/I grew up in Kansas"[/BLACKOUT] line. Perfect. The American iconic. :)

His accent in that moment sounded very western, very 'Murican. :yay:

It's the way that scene is framed.
Personally didn't notice the window, I was caught up in the conversation, but I didn't feel the scene was close to hamfisted. It isn't like they focused the camera on the window.

I'm not saying those things weren't stupid. They were stupid, and I don't like that film. That said, I have to say there were more things I enjoyed in that movie than this one. The final act of Man of Steel is some of the most joyless action scenes I've seen in awhile. Superman [BLACKOUT]ends the movie by snapping Zod's neck and crying.[/BLACKOUT] I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Batman Begins was more optimistic than this film.

That's where I agree with Waid. I was just sitting there thinking, "Um, why are you so concerned now?" It really made no sense to me. I take more issue with this than what Batman did in BB.

Oh, and I'd like to apologize to Bryan Singer in criticizing the Christ imagery, because Snyder is somehow even more hamfisted about it.

It made chuckle. They even made him 33 years old. :funny:

What is the issue ?

[BLACKOUT]Zod's death[/BLACKOUT] is very well done imo. As someone who was worried about the [BLACKOUT]No Kill rule,[/BLACKOUT] I was shocked by how perfectly executed the scene is. Especially with [BLACKOUT]Lois[/BLACKOUT] being there.

That's where I agree with Waid. I was just sitting there thinking, "Um, why are you so concerned now?" It really made no sense to me. I take more issue with this than what Batman did in BB.

It made chuckle. They even made him 33 years old. :funny:

You know, it bugged me a little in Batman, but I shrugged it off as a young Batman being overly aggressive and wreckless, and Alfred also calls him on it later.

Movie seems to be critic
Proof when you see audience reaction vs critics reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"