All-Time Worst Movie Quotes

Herr Logan said:
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me."

Batman Begins

:wolverine

Hey, that is one of my favorite quotes from any movie. :mad:

WOW... Talk about the thread that time forgot. Seeing this oldie but goodie back up on the boards is like when they made that Crocodile Dundee sequel 13 years after the previous one (only the difference is, this doesn't thoroughly suck).

Here are some bad quotes off the top of my head:

"I practice three hours a day so that when I meet a pirate, I can kill it!" - Pirates of the Caribbean

(I don't have the wording to this one exactly right, but it was something like this...) "She is in perfect health. We cannot find anything wrong with her. Yet she is dying. She has lost the will to live." - Star Wars Episode III

That-Guy said:
(I don't have the wording to this one exactly right, but it was something like this...) "She is in perfect health. We cannot find anything wrong with her. Yet she is dying. She has lost the will to live." - Star Wars Episode III
That's not so much a bad line, but rather a ******ed plot factor. He can't think of a real reason for Padme to bite it, after what; 30 years since he "wrote the back story" as he claimed? Yeah George, you're every bit the genius members at theforce.net make you out to be.

Herr Logan said:
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me."

Batman Begins

i love that line.......its sweet.:up: :(

xwolverine2 said:
i love that line.......its sweet.:up: :(
I know you do, xwolverine2, I know...

You can't help whom or what you love, no matter how unworthy they are. :(

"Suck my d*ck!"-Demi Moore...G.I. Jane...umm...yikes.

Herr Logan said:

The line's not actually terrible, within context.

But then, most people in these threads don't look at context, since it muddles perfectly uncreative snark.

Have at it.

Herr Logan said:

WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT??!??!?:confused:

JLBats said:
The line's not actually terrible, within context.

But then, most people in these threads don't look at context, since it muddles perfectly uncreative snark.

Have at it.

You can delude yourself if it makes you feel better about your so-called standards, but I always consider the context when it comes to superhero movies.

Also, you're not one to talk about uncreative snark.

rowan sjet said:
TBH, I really can't see how that line can be delivered without it sounding bad. But I'm happy that he also came up with the best line in the movie. It balances out the scales.:wolverine

Joss meant as just a throwaway line not intended to be delivered dramatically. Still uncharacteristic of Storm though.

"My body is a movie...and your penis is the star."-The Sweetest Thing

okay, not so much a quote, but...

in batman begins, before batman jumps off the roof to go fight ras, and down syndrome girl asks him "you could die, at least tell me your name!" and he says the line "it's not who i am underneath... blah blah blah." that is the worst thing i've ever heard. i mean, don't get me wrong, i don't mind the "it's not who i am underneath" line, but the line the katie asks him, the way he responds with that quote is just so damn out of place it makes me mad.

she could have simply said, "you could die, at least tell me who you are underneath your mask!" and then he could say "it's not who i am underneath, etc..."

sloppy sloppy writing, in my opinion.

Herr Logan said:
You can delude yourself if it makes you feel better about your so-called standards, but I always consider the context when it comes to superhero movies.

Also, you're not one to talk about uncreative snark.

Do you really?

You see, I think the delivery of the line, and some of the stuff leading up to it, might have been bad. But the line itself, as a callback, as a moment of revelation, as a philosophical viewpoint, seems perfectly fine to me.

And I don't snark. I feel like snark, or cheap cynicism, is beginning to play out as a comic sensibility. And I’ve always felt that the nihilistic approach to comedy is inherently limiting. It’s not particularly clever, and it’s so openly hostile that it even puts other people on the defensive, even if they aren't the targets of it.

JLBats said:
Do you really?
I'm sorry, but I missed the part where I'm in awe of the sheer brilliance of two scene fragments that could have easily been cut from the movie without any negative effect.

You see, I think the delivery of the line, and some of the stuff leading up to it, might have been bad. But the line itself, as a callback, as a moment of revelation, as a philosophical viewpoint, seems perfectly fine to me.
It was never an appropriate "philisophical viewpoint" in the first place, much less warranting a callback. The Batman doesn't need to hear that from anybody once he's already spent years training to become someone who acts for the benefit of the city and is clearly defined by those actions. It was never a valid line in the first place, and I honestly can't conceive of how a writer who supposedly understands this character would think this was a worthwhile idea.
Actually, I think I can. WB forced a superfluous, meaningless love interest into the film for marketing reasons, and this line is there to give the Batman a way to needlessly divulge his identity.

I'm thrilled that it seems "perfectly fine" to you. Can't you be happy for me and my irrational hatred of extraneous platitudes in movies that are only cheapened by them?

And I don't snark. I feel like snark, or cheap cynicism, is beginning to play out as a comic sensibility. And I’ve always felt that the nihilistic approach to comedy is inherently limiting. It’s not particularly clever, and it’s so openly hostile that it even puts other people on the defensive, even if they aren't the targets of it.
Yes, I clearly have put you on the defensive. So sorry about that, really. I'll try really hard to never again criticize a worthless theme in a movie to which people seem to staple their egos. Criticizing the movie obviously equates to attacking you and others personally, so, again, I'm terribly sorry.
Remember that you were the one who made this an argument, not me, so take responsibility for your own failings.

If you don't understand that the context of the entire film makes that line completely unneccesary and condescending to the audience, then why don't you try not talking to me. Save us both the trouble of teaching you how to think for yourself instead of hitching your wagon to a commercial product that you had no hand in creating.

Herr Logan said:
I'm sorry, but I missed the part where I'm in awe of the sheer brilliance of two scene fragments that could have easily been cut from the movie without any negative effect.

It was never an appropriate "philisophical viewpoint" in the first place, much less warranting a callback. The Batman doesn't need to hear that from anybody once he's already spent years training to become someone who acts for the benefit of the city and is clearly defined by those actions. It was never a valid line in the first place, and I honestly can't conceive of how a writer who supposedly understands this character would think this was a worthwhile idea.

I think that's sort of the whole point of the line. Yes, Batman has been taking action. Rachel doesn't know this. In another way, it demonstrates that Bruce's playboy act is at least relatively effective; Rachel buys it.

Now, if she had said the line to him with full knowledge of his "extra-curricular" activities, I would completely agree with you. Worthless line that makes no sense for the character. But she didn't know. And that was the point. Batman saying the line later is a way of finally showing her that he indeed HAS been taking action. Whether or not Rachel should have ever found out is not the argument here, since I agree with you on that point.

Actually, I think I can. WB forced a superfluous, meaningless love interest into the film for marketing reasons, and this line is there to give the Batman a way to needlessly divulge his identity.

I'm thrilled that it seems "perfectly fine" to you. Can't you be happy for me and my irrational hatred of extraneous platitudes in movies that are only cheapen by them?

I disagree. Is it the defining theme of the movie? Certainly not. But it's hardly extraneous, since the meat of act two is largely concerned with the concept of Bruce forming his two parallel identities. Taken as a platitude on its own and with no connection to this struggle, yes, it might seem extraneous. I, on the other hand, think it sums up the point of act two nicely. Perhaps it could have been done in a more subtle way, yes, or with more finesse, but ultimately it's entirely functional.

Yes, I clearly have put you on the defensive. So sorry about that, really. I'll try really hard to never again criticize a worthless theme in a movie to which people seem to staple their egos. Criticizing the movie obviously equates attacking you and others personally, so, again, I'm terribly sorry.
Remember that you were the one who made this an argument, not me, so take responsibility for your own failings.

You've misunderstood. My original reference to snark was not intended as an explicit attack on you. I'm sorry if it came off that way. My comment about cheap snark as a comic sensibility is less an evaluation of my feelings towards you then it is a completely divergent topic, although it does sum up my feelings towards conversation on the Internet sometimes, although certainly not this one.

I do not "staple my ego" to Batman Begins. Hardly. I enjoy film, however, (as a famous director whose name escapes me at the moment) as the distillation of theme into an understandable and enjoyable formula, so yes, I do perhaps get a tad overzealous in my defence of certain films and their (perhaps undeserving) themes and motifs. If I have, at any point, given off the impression that I felt personally attacked by your critique of a line from Batman Begins, I apologise.

If you don't understand that the context of the entire film makes that line completely unneccesary and condescening to the audience, then why don't you try not talking to me. Save us both the trouble of teaching you how to think for yourself instead of hitching your wagon to a commercial product that you had no hand in creating.

I think I've described already why I think the line fits, if it is perhaps a bit clunky. I don't think that the line was necessarily condescending to the audience. Yes, it handed some major themes of the second act to the audience on a platter, but most superhero movies do this, and, indeed, most films in general.

Clunky? Yes. Entirely superfluous and worthy of the title of "Worst movie quote"? Hardly.

Mr. Credible said:
okay, not so much a quote, but...

in batman begins, before batman jumps off the roof to go fight ras, and down syndrome girl asks him "you could die, at least tell me your name!" and he says the line "it's not who i am underneath... blah blah blah." that is the worst thing i've ever heard. i mean, don't get me wrong, i don't mind the "it's not who i am underneath" line, but the line the katie asks him, the way he responds with that quote is just so damn out of place it makes me mad.

she could have simply said, "you could die, at least tell me who you are underneath your mask!" and then he could say "it's not who i am underneath, etc..."

sloppy sloppy writing, in my opinion.

did you even watch the first half of the movie? He was repeating to her what she said to him earlier in the film. It wasn't out of place at all.

JLBats said:
I think that's sort of the whole point of the line. Yes, Batman has been taking action. Rachel doesn't know this. In another way, it demonstrates that Bruce's playboy act is at least relatively effective; Rachel buys it.

Now, if she had said the line to him with full knowledge of his "extra-curricular" activities, I would completely agree with you. Worthless line that makes no sense for the character. But she didn't know. And that was the point. Batman saying the line later is a way of finally showing her that he indeed HAS been taking action. Whether or not Rachel should have ever found out is not the argument here, since I agree with you on that point.

I disagree. Is it the defining theme of the movie? Certainly not. But it's hardly extraneous, since the meat of act two is largely concerned with the concept of Bruce forming his two parallel identities. Taken as a platitude on its own and with no connection to this struggle, yes, it might seem extraneous. I, on the other hand, think it sums up the point of act two nicely. Perhaps it could have been done in a more subtle way, yes, or with more finesse, but ultimately it's entirely functional.

You've misunderstood. My original reference to snark was not intended as an explicit attack on you. I'm sorry if it came off that way. My comment about cheap snark as a comic sensibility is less an evaluation of my feelings towards you then it is a completely divergent topic, although it does sum up my feelings towards conversation on the Internet sometimes, although certainly not this one.

I do not "staple my ego" to Batman Begins. Hardly. I enjoy film, however, (as a famous director whose name escapes me at the moment) as the distillation of theme into an understandable and enjoyable formula, so yes, I do perhaps get a tad overzealous in my defence of certain films and their (perhaps undeserving) themes and motifs. If I have, at any point, given off the impression that I felt personally attacked by your critique of a line from Batman Begins, I apologise.

I think I've described already why I think the line fits, if it is perhaps a bit clunky. I don't think that the line was necessarily condescending to the audience. Yes, it handed some major themes of the second act to the audience on a platter, but most superhero movies do this, and, indeed, most films in general.

Clunky? Yes. Entirely superfluous and worthy of the title of "Worst movie quote"? Hardly.

I appreciate your taking the time to explain your argument and explain your intent. I still emphatically disagree, but I still appreciate it (and I'm not being sarcastic this time).

I don't think there's much more to say about this. I am deeply disappointed that there is anyone here who has extensive knowledge of the Batman (at least I'm assuming you do), or at least a basic understanding of the somewhat altered character of the movie in his own context, who believes that this was a line of dialogue that either needed to be added to the script or can exist in the final cut without being condescending toward the audience and cheapening the film somewhat, but dissappointment is one of the defining qualities of this internet community. There's nothing to be done about that, I suppose.

Anakin: You are so... beautiful.
Padme: It's only because I'm so in love.
Anakin: No, it's because I'm so in love with you.

Anakin: I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

Vader: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Padme: Hold me, Ani! Hold me, like you did by the lake on Naboo!

Anakin: I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and gets everywhere. Not like things here. Everything here is smooth... and soft.

Savage said:
...:D
B00007CVRX.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:D

I SOOOOOO just ordered this off of Amazon.com :D:up:

It's a MUSICAL!!! JESUS saves LESBIANS!! How can this NOT be the greatest thing ever??

Max Shrek said:
Savage, i think that's from Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter.

OIts from a peter jackson movie called Brain Dead. funny as hell the movie, especially if you see the line in context.

Savage said:
"I KICK ARSE FOR THE LORD!!!:mad: "-some maniacal kung fu priest in some ******ed zombie movie...

Don't EVER diss braindead/dead Alive. ever again. that line kicks arse ;)

Not sure if these have been posted before, but...

"Uh thaynk sumpthin' bounced up intuh muh unduhcarriage!" - Jessica Simpson in her lame Southern accent in Dukes of Hazzard

"My name is Kira, now. And I'm a new animal." - The Chronicle Ridiculousness... er, I mean, The Chronicles of Riddick

"What's your name, honey? Valentine? I love that name!" - Richard Dreyfuss, playing the most sterotypical gay character in movie history, hitting on a guy while the two of them are seconds away from falling to their deaths in a burning elevator shaft (Poseidon)

Every line in the movie Aeon Flux.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"