Almost Human

SDCC Interviews:
[YT]tx9iN2obleU[/YT]
[YT]YEMjZtrRON4[/YT]
[YT]5mDdaLtsOzI[/YT]
[YT]iL_NcVULaWw[/YT]
[YT]XUx_0YuF_BU[/YT]
[YT]5rxc3K2pl-M[/YT]
Still nothing about the actual panel. This year's coverage is sloppy as ****.

I just saw the trailer for this and I was not completely sold. But since I like Urban I will give it a shot.

New Promo:
[YT]48mu4aT0sAU[/YT]

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Almost-Human-Fox-1068759.aspx
Almost Human Tackles the Dangers of Robots in the Future
by Natalie Abrams

Fringe's J.H. Wyman is heading back to the future — but instead of fringe science, Almost Human will tackle robotics.

In the action-packed drama, LAPD officers like John Kennex (Karl Urban) are partnered with highly evolved human-like androids such as Dorian (Michael Ealy). But this isn't your typical robot story, in which Dorian yearns to be human. Instead, he's a flawed model that exhibits compassion, which can be both a blessing and a curse in the police department.

"We wanted to do something that was a little bit different," Wyman said at the Television Critics Association fall TV previews on Thursday. "I think we've all seen the robot that longs to be human. It was better for us to have a robot that was more human than he can handle. He's trying to understand what he is versus wanting or longing to be something he's not."

But Dorian's partner John is not a fan of robots, for which he uses the derogatory term synthetics. The drama will come from the duo trying to find common ground since John blames the newer, less compassionate android models for the loss of his former human partner and his own leg. "In the long arc of the show, he's going to realize in Dorian — even though he's a machine — he's still a real living, breathing, sentient being," executive producer Naren Shankar said.

Unlike the mythology-heavy Fringe, Wyman noted that they're approaching this show through emotion rather than mystery. "This is a police drama," he said. "It's about hardworking, brave people on the front line of a future that's just a stone's throw away. We're hoping that people care about them. I'm more interested in knowing about these people's lives."

However, the show will stray from the typical cop shows in other ways. "If you can see the case on another cop show, we're not going to do it," Urban added. That's the upside of setting the series in the not-so-distant future: finding a balance between reality and possibility.

"I just think it's the right time and people will give their imagination and suspension of disbelief to maybe see something that's not too far into the future," Wyman added. "It's such an incredible arena to tell great stories about the human condition. ... It points out why we're so flawed, but also so exceptional. Are we losing sight of these things in the future? Things change, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse."

Almost Human premieres Monday, Nov. 4 at 8/7c on Fox. Will you be watching?

I almost forgot, at midnight, FOX is supposed to air some, I believe, eight-minute previews for the fall line-up. If you're on the east coast, it's already too late. They'll probably end up online, though.

Really hoping this turns out good! Even okay, Fox is always sharpening that axe...

Just saw the preview on Fox and it has me intrigued. I've really got nothing else on Monday so I may give it a look.

Saw the pilot at FanExpo this weekend. Kinda disappointing. Very quite rushed. But I'm sticking with it because Karl Urban is good in it.

That's odd, considering all the responses I was seeing on twitter after that event were fairly glowing.

That's odd, considering all the responses I was seeing on twitter after that event were fairly glowing.

To be honest, the atmosphere made the show very fun to watch, but con reactions should never be taken seriously :)

I mean, the majority of the audience was screaming girls and everyone lost their minds when Karl Urban came on stage. It's a great concept, the CGI is pretty bad but some of the acting is off and the story kinda just...ended. They said our cut had "footage that won't make the air" and that's worrying to me because even with what we saw, I felt I needed more.

Also, people were just screaming in general or laughing or whatever which made some dialogue hard to hear.

Something funny that happened during the screening is that the show starts out with narration and text on the screen, sorta like a background thing. It talks about how cybernetics and drugs and crime have evolved/gone up, etc, and the woman narrator says

"So, the government deploys a new strategy"

and some guy screams at the top of his lungs "JUDGE DREDD" and the whole crowd just died laughing for a while.

Last edited:
http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/almost-human-co-showrunner-naren-shankar-exits/
‘Almost Human’ Co-Showrunner Naren Shankar Exits
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: I’ve learned that Naren Shankar is leaving Fox’s new drama series Almost Human where he served as executive producer/co-showrunner alongside creator/executive producer/showrunner J.H. Wyman. Almost Human, from Warner Bros. TV and J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot, is described as an action-packed police drama set 35 years in the future, when police officers are partnered with highly evolved human-like androids. Shankar joined Almost Human after the upfronts. Unlike Wyman/Bad Robot’s previous sci-fi Fox series, the heavily serialized Fringe, Almost Human is at heart a police drama. That explains the idea of bringing in a co-showrunner with extensive procedural background like CSI veteran Shankar, who served as co-showrunner on the long-running CBS crime drama and was an executive producer on another police drama with genre elements — NBC’s Grimm. While I hear Wyman and Shankar got along very well personally, like it happens with some showrunner marriages, this one didn’t quite work for this particular show. Wyman will continue as sole showrunner with no immediate plans to bring in a new co-showrunner. Almost Human premieres Nov. 4.

It may be a good thing. Perhaps he wanted the show to go in a different direction and didn't get his way.

Pepsi that could either be a good or bad thing depending. I don't know what made it seem that way to you -- but it could seem more complete with deletions here and there. It would basically be stream-lining it instead of a lot of loose strands that never went anywhere. It's just another way to make it feel like a whole. There's expanding and then there's stream-lining, so it's really up in the air at this point.

I'll give an example I had a screenplay that was 175 pages long (it was a biopic for a really famous man, so that's okay), but it just felt like there was a lot missing from it and that certain areas never went anywhere. Well, instead of making it even longer - I went back in and took out about 25 pages and now it feels like a cohesive whole that really works together and flows along nicely.

I haven't seen it - but cutting things could work out in it's favor as well.

ADDING: Also it could be sub-plots that they found aren't working any more that they're deleting are sub-plots that they think they could spend more time on so they're moving or spreading those points out throughout the season. Just, deletion even if the rough cut seems too short isn't necessarily a bad thing - especially with television - because that just gives things more breathing room and focus.

Last edited:
I had NO idea about this until today when I saw a trailer on YouTube, where I thought it was a movie at first.

Looks pretty interesting. :up:

New Promo

Earlier the article said it was supposed to air during NFL football, not it says Family Guy. Disappointing, as I'm reasonably sure no one really gives two ****s about Family Guy anymore, and football likely would've had a much larger audience...

Looking good, I think starting it in November to avoid breaks will turn out a smart call.

I think it was absolutely the right call. Not only does it avoid breaks, but it also avoids the initial slaughterhouse that is premiering a handful of new shows on the same night, AND gives the network the chance to drop a fair amount of promotion/advertisement during the MLB World Series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"