Civil War Along Came a Spider - The Peter Parker / Spider-Man Thread - Part 1

No where in this movie has it been alluded at that Spider-Man is stronger than Cap. Spidey catches a car while Cap prevents a Helicopter from taking off. Your simply bringing comic book logic to a film that never established who's stronger. And again, Spidey is 15 with no experience fighting superpowered humans like Cap.
spidey catches a moving car with his bare hands with ease. he also nonchalantly stops winter soldier's punch in its tracks. cap has never exhibited this kind of strength in any of the movies. holding down a helicopter is not nearly as impressive. cap's inferior strength is obvious, especially considering we've seen winter soldier and cap fight to a virtual standstill in which cap could never even dream of catching winter soldier's punch without his shield.

the fight just doesn't make sense.

Your evidence doesn't match with your conclusion. Just because Spider-man is stronger than Cap, doesn't mean he is *sufficiently* stronger to make the fight a non-fight. The fight made plenty sense: Spider-man has a physical edge, Cap is far more skilled and experienced.

Also, I think you underestimate the strength required to hold down a helicopter.

if only spidey n cap had a tug of war to see who is stronger.

oh wait.. that happened and cap won..

ps. i am of the view that cap winning the tug of war is lame and they could have easily written a different scenario to show experience trumping power.

for example, cap coulda leaned into spider-man pulling im back and gone flying towards him, spidey wouldnt expect this and cap could get a good hit in. easy simple way to show experience/tactics winning out, but nope, cap just overpowers spider-man in terms of strength.

if only spidey n cap had a tug of war to see who is stronger.

oh wait.. that happened and cap won..

ps. i am of the view that cap winning the tug of war is lame and they could have easily written a different scenario to show experience trumping power.

for example, cap coulda leaned into spider-man pulling im back and gone flying towards him, spidey wouldnt expect this and cap could get a good hit in. easy simple way to show experience/tactics winning out, but nope, cap just overpowers spider-man in terms of strength.

You wouldn't say jumping and spinning himself in the webbing is tactical? I mean, I do find the sequence iffy too but at least that was a creative way to go about it.

Holland was fine, but with all the hype I thought I'd be ready to drop Garfield like a bad habit. I actually missed him as Peter Parker :( It was ok, and most of the Spidey scenes were fun at least. I didn't feel he came across as legit for Spidey as Garfield though.

spidey catches a moving car with his bare hands with ease. he also nonchalantly stops winter soldier's punch in its tracks. cap has never exhibited this kind of strength in any of the movies. holding down a helicopter is not nearly as impressive. cap's inferior strength is obvious, especially considering we've seen winter soldier and cap fight to a virtual standstill in which cap could never even dream of catching winter soldier's punch without his shield.

the fight just doesn't make sense.

Cap almost stopped a car from going over a bridge in AOU with his bare hands. The only reason it fell was because the bumper came off. Cap threw a motorcycle at a tank and destroyed it. Cap stopped a helicopter with his bare hands. Cap jumped at least 20 stories from a building and seemed little more then dazed. He fought Tony in his Iron Man suit and the suit itself said that Tony couldn't beat him in a hand to hand fight. With all those feats as evidence you think Cap isn't a match for Spiderman?

Hell Iron Man caught a car in the first movie and Cap still went to dat ass.

Spidey's been battling purse snatchers for maybe 12 months, whereas Steve has been fighting guys out of his weight class since the 40s.

You don't get to lead Earth's Mightiest if you can't outwit a kid who probably hasn't ever been in a real fight in his life yet.

Spidey's been battling purse snatchers for maybe 12 months, whereas Steve has been fighting guys out of his weight class since the 40s.

You don't get to lead Earth's Mightiest if you can't outwit a kid who probably hasn't ever been in a real fight in his life yet.

Bitten 6 months ago, would be safe to assume he didn't go right out and start fighting crime. He might barely have 2 or 3 months under his belt!

Spider-man is stronger than Cap, but Cap has far more training and experience. So I had no problem with how the fight went down.

Spider-man is stronger than Cap, but Cap has far more training and experience. So I had no problem with how the fight went down.

Exactly. Parker is just starting out as a superhero, whereas Rogers has been doing it for far longer time. In the tug of war scene, Cap did the spinning move to get the advantage over Spider-Man's superior strength, and it was a tactical move that paid off. It's not only power vs. power, but smarts and experiences count for a lot as well. In the comics, Spider-Man also used his wits and intelligence to defeat foes who might have an advantage over him, such as Venom. If he can do it, then Cap can do it as well.

Holland was fine, but with all the hype I thought I'd be ready to drop Garfield like a bad habit. I actually missed him as Peter Parker :( It was ok, and most of the Spidey scenes were fun at least. I didn't feel he came across as legit for Spidey as Garfield though.

I felt the exact same way, especially considering how "definitive" everyone considered Holland's Spider-Man to be, and everyone stating that this was their favourite version of Spidey yet.

Holland's stammering, stuttering and animated awkwardness whilst talking to Stark made him feel very much like Garfield's Peter (but without the 'cockiness' as some would add?).

I don't think Holland felt like a legitimate Spidey just because of how brief his appearance was, but mainly because this Spider-Man was just a kid, and just starting out his superhero career, so he didn't have that 'confidence' that he would have had as our previous incarnations of Spider-Man, especially considering Spidey exists in a world that is already inhabited with similar super-powered beings and doesn't have the same experience as they do.

As much as I enjoyed Holland, I still saw him as "Tom Holland is acting as Peter Parker/Spider-Man" rather than Tom Holland as Spider-Man, but I'm sure the solo film next year will be enough to ease any hesitation anyone may have towards Marvel's new Spider-Man.

Last edited:
I thought Tom Holland did more with twenty minutes than Andrew Garfield did with two movies. But to be fair he had better material to work with.

Totally didn't expect to fall in love with this take on the character. The character I felt had been worn out in the past decade plus. Never would've thought he would be the best part of the movie by far.

Perfect portrayal. Young enough. Positive and upbeat with energy. Funny but not *****ey. And had depth, sincerity and believability to his Peter Parker as well. All done in a compact amount of screen time.

Loved the look of the character as well with the shifting lenses. Just great. Can't wait for Homecoming and I'm not even a Spider-Man kind of guy.

Garfield was the worst thing to happen to spidey film wise.

I hated Garfield's interpretation of PP, especially in his first spidey film. The guy was just so unlikable.

Garfield was the worst thing to happen to spidey film wise.
In my opinion, Garfield wasn't the problem at all, it was the script, direction and Studio interference that did the damage to the franchise.

Sony was big problem too. They mess up movies three times with their interferences.

As much crap as people give Garfield, I do think that his chemistry with Emma Stone far surpassed the scenes with Peter and Mary Jane, though I imagine a lot of that had to do with Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield dating in real life at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"