The Dark Knight Rises Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To say the majority of people here are TDKR defenders who gang up on the dissenters is just not accurate this time. It's very even keel.

I also didn't see anybody call anybody stupid.

Happens all the time on here. If you don't like something that the majority does....it's because you are too stupid to get it like they did. Personal opinion of multitudes of things in a movie doesn't count. You just didn't get it because you were stoopid.

I express my opinion of why I did not like it...and I am not a 56 year old adult with personal opinions, experiences, or knowledge of life....I'm just too damn stupid to get it.

Welcome to the Hype.

While I'm not the biggest fan of the film (as many will attest to), I think TDKR makes it clear that Bruce quits because of the Dent Act. That scene with Gordon in the hospital explicitly explains why he quits: "The Batman wasn't needed anymore, WE WON."

Exactly but my point being surely that would have a huge emotional impact on him too, and he never went reclusive, to the whole of his friends, etc he destroyed his home and was not suitable to run his fathers company, and yet he carried on, without giving up.

It was part of the whole process. At the beginning, Bruce only wanted revenge and cared little about everything else.

- With all due respect, sir, Wayne Manor is your house.

- No, Alfred, it's my father's house.

- Your father is dead.

- This place is a mausoleum. If I have my way, I'll pull the damn thing down brick by brick.

- This house, Master Wayne, has sheltered six generations of your family.

- Why do you give a damn, Alfred? It's not your family.

- I give a damn because a good man once made me responsible for what was most precious to him in the whole world.

Alfred calls Bruce on this before his birthday party:

Those are Bruce Wayne's guests. You have a name to maintain. I don't care about my name.

It's not just your name, sir. It's your father's name. And it's all that's left of him... Don't destroy it.

But Bruce does reflects upon his actions after all of this, Alfred too.

- What have I done, Alfred? Everything my family... my father, built...

- The Wayne legacy is more than bricks and mortar, sir.

- I wanted to save Gotham. I failed.

- Why do we fall, sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.

- You still haven't given up on me?

- Never.

Bruce learns to care about his legacy, setting up his goals to better Gotham as Bruce Wayne with the energy project. He fails, setting up the background for the film. However in the end, he manages to salvage this by setting up the orphanage.

And C. Lee. We are just defending our opinions the best we can, just as anyone would do. You have stated that you don't like the films and that's fine. I respect that. But I don't think anyone called anyone with "stoopidity".

While I'm not the biggest fan of the film (as many will attest to), I think TDKR makes it clear that Bruce quits because of the Dent Act.
Did someone argue otherwise? I might have missed that post.

It was part of the whole process. At the beginning, Bruce only wanted revenge and cared little about everything else.

Alfred calls Bruce on this before his birthday party:

But Bruce does reflects upon his actions after all of this, Alfred too.

Bruce learns to care about his legacy, setting up his goals to better Gotham as Bruce Wayne with the energy project. He fails, setting up the background for the film. However in the end, he manages to salvage this by setting up the orphanage.

And C. Lee. We are just defending our opinions the best we can, just as anyone would do. You have stated that you don't like the films and that's fine. I respect that. But I don't think anyone called anyone with "stoopidity".

Fair points, but just me personally I just donl't see it as a good enough reason for him just to let it keep him down with all the resolve and determination, we are shown him to have.

And just to note, i'm first one to admit I haven't seen any of the movies as many times, or thought as in depth about them as other posters, but I haven't been made to feel stupid, we arejust throwing about opinions, and I find I can learn and think about the films in different ways, while everyone may not agree, we may better understand likes/dislikes.

To say the majority of people here are TDKR defenders who gang up on the dissenters is just not accurate this time. It's very even keel.

I also didn't see anybody call anybody stupid.

This was the post from a couple of pages back that made me decide to post my opinion in this thread.

Just shows their stupidity, which is awesome :funny:

I knew my OPINION would not be popular. I knew my OPINION would be made fun of and dismissed. Don't bother me in the least.

I think its all too easy sometimes to write stuff off as people didn't understand the film and thats why they don't like it. Personally I understood it, but in the end, didn't like it as much as the previous two...lol...which I also understood.

I definitely respect everyone's opinions. They'll never satisfy 100% of fans with how Batman/Bruce is portrayed, so I get that.
There can't really be an opinion about this Bruce Wayne's reasons for quitting.
Those reasons are outlined in the film.

Did you guys think I dismissed your opinions when I said what I said?

I definitely respect everyone's opinions. They'll never satisfy 100% of fans with how Batman/Bruce is portrayed, so I get that.
There can't really be an opinion about this Bruce Wayne's reasons for quitting.
Those reasons are outlined in the film.

Did you guys think I dismissed your opinions when I said what I said?

Did you read my original post?

Happens all the time on here. If you don't like something that the majority does....it's because you are too stupid to get it like they did. Personal opinion of multitudes of things in a movie doesn't count. You just didn't get it because you were stoopid.

I express my opinion of why I did not like it...and I am not a 56 year old adult with personal opinions, experiences, or knowledge of life....I'm just too damn stupid to get it.

Welcome to the Hype.

Hey C. Lee, can I ask your opinion on something regarding Bane. Watching the movie, and specifically the reveal scene of Talia, did it come across to you that Talia was the instigator behind the whole scheme, and Bane was just doing it for her?

Last edited:
Hey C. Lee, can I ask your opinion on something regarding regarding Bane. Watching the movie, and specifically the reveal scene of Talia, did it come across to you that Talia was the instigator behind the whole scheme, and Bane was just doing it for her?

That's the way I saw it. Once she revealed herself he seemed to become , for lack of a better word at the moment, passive. Talia reveals herself, explains her story, and then says she is off to do her evil deeds. Bane doesn't ell her to do it. He doesn't imply that he has told her previously to do it. He stands idly by and takes orders from her (yes, he ignores them....after she is out of sight and would not know any better) as she drives off to finish the master plan.

That's the way I saw it. Once she revealed herself he seemed to become , for lack of a better word at the moment, passive. Talia reveals herself, explains her story, and then says she is off to do her evil deeds. Bane doesn't ell her to do it. He doesn't imply that he has told her previously to do it. He stands idly by and takes orders from her (yes, he ignores them....after she is out of sight and would not know any better) as she drives off to finish the master plan.

Thank you :up:

You also look at the back story she tells, when Bane was risking his life to protect her in the pit when she was just a child, when he had no incentive to do so either. Which means he did it simply because he loved her, as she specifies herself. Now here he was again willing to go up in ashes just so she can "honor" her father by finishing his work.

The one where you said you believed that Bruce retired because of Rachel's death?

Yes. I said that I believed that the scene between Bruce and Gordon could be interpreted in another way. Just as they had lied about Dent's death, Batman could have lied to Gordon about why he quit.

This was the post from a couple of pages back that made me decide to post my opinion in this thread.

Did you take a look at the context that was said in? It's very important, because if you would have, you'd know they were talking about people (namely Ralf Garman or what's his name) who base their dislike of the movie exclusively on the misguided perception that Bruce retired for 8 years because of Rachel's death.

In one of your previous posts, you specifically mentioned that that particular aspect is just one of the reasons you dislike TDKR, so I don't see why you feel insulted considering the original context of Anno Domini's line.

But he wasn't even nearly strong armed either.
I don't know weasel's original intent...maybe he just used the wrong word...but I understood what he was getting at. In BB, Bruce almost lost control of Wayne Enterprises because he was off on his self discovery odyssey of becoming the Batman for 7 years and was declared dead. Thus, he almost lost the company because of the Batman gig.

Speaking on people like Ralph Garman that puts a slam on TDKR without knowing why Bruce is really in exile. That is why I made my comment.
I said that people had called others stupid in here....people said that hadn't happened...I showed where it had in the last 2 pages.

Yes. I said that I believed that the scene between Bruce and Gordon could be interpreted in another way. Just as they had lied about Dent's death, Batman could have lied to Gordon about why he quit.

Yeah. I read that, quoted it in one of my responses, and outlined how Alfred confronted Bruce about wanting to be Batman again.
That he was, "...waiting for things to go bad again."
Meaning he's wanted to do it for these past years and couldn't because he might do more harm than good.
I also said I kind of hated the whole thing about him quitting. I don't want Bats to quit for any extended period of time, but I understand this is a different take.
I also said that it was kind of the point. That this character has so many ways he can go. We got this one for now, and next we might get one closer your favorite.

Did you take a look at the context that was said in? It's very important, because if you would have, you'd know they were talking about people (namely Ralf Garman or what's his name) who base their dislike of the movie exclusively on the misguided perception that Bruce retired for 8 years because of Rachel's death.

In one of your previous posts, you specifically mentioned that that particular aspect is just one of the reasons you dislike TDKR, so I don't see why you feel insulted considering the original context of Anno Domini's line.

I said....I believe that Bruce quit being Batman because of Rachel's death.

I said there were other reasons beyond that....that made me dislike the movie.

So.....saying that Ralf (or whoever, I have no idea who he is) is STUPID because he thinks that Bruce quit being Batman because of Rachel's death...is saying that ANYONE who has that opinion (which includes me) is stupid.

The whole point of my making my post was to put my opinion, that he and others call stupid, out there. Because others on here have that opinion also, but are afraid of being ganged up on by the rest of you guys.

Too many people on the Hype can not stand hearing someone say something contrary to the popular stand. They consider any deviation from the popular as trolling. You can have an opposite opinion without being a troll.

Welcome to the Hype.

:applaudMy sentiments exactly. This should be required reading when registering for the forums.

I'm definately up for differring opinion then mine, which is why I love to frequent these forums. But ya, when you get people calling other opinions stupid, it does get frustrating as it takes the air out of intelligent conversations.

In regards to Bruce quitting due to Rachel's death: if this was Nolan's entire intention, then why did Bruce decide to return as Batman, willingly, as soon as Bane appeared? He quit and stayed away because he felt Gotham didn't need him anymore: he accomplished the goal he set out to accomplish. When things got bad, he knew his responsibilities and returned.

I don't know weasel's original intent...maybe he just used the wrong word...but I understood what he was getting at. In BB, Bruce almost lost control of Wayne Enterprises because he was off on his self discovery odyssey of becoming the Batman for 7 years and was declared dead. Thus, he almost lost the company because of the Batman gig.

I said that people had called others stupid in here....people said that hadn't happened...I showed where it had in the last 2 pages.

Yeah basically my intent is i'm not a fan of the retired Bruce and was just debating why would he retire. And yeah thats basically what I meant about losing the company, and I more than likely did use the wrong wording, im not the most elloquent of posters, so it's easy fodder for people to pick up on that on here, but yeah i'm thick skinned, it's like in real life there's always a c**t to every group.

While I'm not the biggest fan of the film (as many will attest to), I think TDKR makes it clear that Bruce quits because of the Dent Act. That scene with Gordon in the hospital explicitly explains why he quits: "The Batman wasn't needed anymore, WE WON."

Well, apparently not since it's become such a point of contention. I'll admit I didn't buy that he quit because of the Dent Act; I figured he quit because...it was in the script. That was always a terrible creative decision IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"