The Boys Amazon's The Boys General Discussion Thread

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://deadline.com/2016/04/the-boy...rg-eric-kripke-original-film-sony-1201732097/
‘The Boys’ Drama Based On Comic Book Set At Cinemax With Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, Eric Kripke, Original Film & Sony
by Nellie Andreeva

After bringing Garth Ennis’ Preacher to the screen with the upcoming AMC series, Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and Neal Moritz are tackling another dark and violent comic book by Ennis on cable television. Cinemax has put in development The Boys, from the Preacher team of Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg’s Point Grey, Moritz’s Original Film and Sony TV.

Developed by Rogen, Goldberg and Supernatural creator Eric Kripke and to be written by Kripke based on the graphic novel written by Ennis and illustrated by Darick Robertson, the series is set in a time where most of the superheroes are corrupted by their celebrity status and often engage in reckless behavior, compromising the safety of the world. It centers on a CIA squad, known informally as “the boys,” whose job is to keep watch on the proliferation of superheroes and, if necessary, eliminate some of them. Rogen and Goldberg, who helmed the Preacher pilot, are set to direct.

Executive producing The Boys are Original Film’s Moritz, Pavun Shetty and Ori Marmur; Point Grey’s Rogen, Goldberg and James Weaver; Kripke; as well as Ken Levin and Kickstarter’s Jason Netter (Preacher). Ennis and Robertson will serve as co-executive producers.

Like with Preacher, which had gone though a number of TV and feature incarnations over 16 years until it was finally made by AMC, The Boys also has had a long development history. Over the past eight years, it had been in the works as a movie at Columbia Pictures and Paramount.

At Cinemax, The Boys joins another drama adaptation of a dark comic, Robert Kirkman’s Outcast, which was picked up to series.

The Boys ran for 72 issues from 2008-2012, published initially by Wildstorm (#1-6) and then by Dynamite Entertainment.

In addition to The Boys, Kripke wrote and is executive producing with Shawn Ryan NBC/Sony TV’s time-travel drama series Time. In features, Rogen and Goldberg next have Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising, which the two co-wrote and produce, with Rogan reprising his starring role from the original movie. Moritz also executive produces the NBC/Sony TV pilot Cruel Intentions and Syfy/Sony TV’s Roadside Picnic. Original Film’s upcoming features include the next installment in the Fast & Furious franchise and Passengers starring Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt.

Rogen and Goldberg are repped by UTA and Fred Toczek. Rogen is also managed by Marsha McManus. Original Films is repped by UTA and attorney Howard Abramson. Kripke is represented by WME.

Cinemax? Aw goddamit
at least they'll be comfortable with the graphic nudity I guess

also, Simon Pegg or GTFO

Ray Stevenson For Billy
stevenson4242012.jpeg

Simon Pegg For Wee Hughie
Simon-Pegg-008.jpg

Chad Coleman For Mothers Milk
Chad-Coleman-Walking-Dead.jpg

Rila Fukushima For The Female
RilaFukushimaMOBILE.jpg

Vincent Cassel For The Frenchmen
vincent_cassel_39219.jpg

Last edited:
I think The Boys is a good choice for TV and could very well be done better than it was in the comic. As much as I love Ennis' work, The Boys got too bogged down in the politics and corporate espionage with countless scenes of dreary dialogue explaining fictional conspiracy. At times The Boys felt like another writer trying to do their best Garth Ennis impression. Ennis tends to be masterful at quickly creating bonds between characters and getting the audience to care, but The Boys fell flat in that regard -at least compared to his previous work.

Unlike Preacher, which looks to be undergoing a slew of changes for it's screen adaptation, I really think The Boys could benefit greatly from the more streamlined presentation of a TV show. After watching 3 and bit seasons of Banshee, I think Cinemax is the right place for it too -they won't be worried about holding back anything.

Rila Fukushima For The Woman

The Female.

If they're doing these more of these bizarre comics, adapt Planetary goddammit. It'd be the most expensive thing of all time, but it'd be totally worth it.

I dunno if anybody in Hollywood is smart enough to make Planetary lol

Meaning most executives? You'd be right.

I mean you could sell it. It has everything that's popular right now jammed into one thing. Yet done in an intelligent way which is probably the thing most people would look past and only see, "BRANDS! BRANDS EVERYWHERE!!!"

exactly
executives and even most directors would be like "it's multiverse superhero stuff" without having the intelligence to actually understand it or do it justice
They'd just assume it's Sliders meets Legends of Tomorrow

They'd assume it's their next solution for a DC universe. :funny:

It'd be an excuse to put Batman or other superheroes in it. In fact, they'd probably just adapt that one Batman/Planetary story as a sole film.

I didn't realise just how much I wanted The Boys on TV until I heard this...

We have a Starlight. It's Hope from Jessica Jones. And she'll certainly have a rather...interesting initiation. Also, should this be updated to reflect that the series will be on Amazon now?

https://heroichollywood.com/erin-moriarty-amazon-superhero-boys/

Erin Moriarty, who played Hope Shlottman on the first season of Marvel’s Jessica Jones, will play a character named Annie who goes by the identity of Starlight. Starlight possesses the ability to flash lightning bolts from her eyes. Her character aspires to be a superhero just like the Seven, the world’s premiere crime-fighting group.

Antony Starr, Four More Join Cast of Amazon's Superhero Drama The Boys
Banshee alum Antony Starr will play Homelander, the leader of the show’s primary superhero collective known as The Seven. Along with Starr, four more actors have joined The Boys as members of The Seven: Chace Crawford (Gossip Girl), who’ll play aquatic superhero The Deep; Dominique McElligott (House of Cards‘ Hannah Conway), as Queen Maeve; Jessie T. Usher (Survivor’s Remorse) as speedster A-Train; and Nathan Mitchell (iZombie, Supernatural), as masked martial-arts expert Black Noir.

So are they making the show more from the superheroes' point-of-view, then?

I had no idea what to expect
superheroes have let fame go to their heads and gotten corrupt
is putting it politely.

From the pov of the superheroes could make the one-note corruption more dramatic

We have our Wee Hughie. Not that we were ever going to get Simon Pegg, but it would've been nice. We have Jack Quaid from The Hunger Games.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/the-boys-jack-quaid-cast-amazon-superhero-series-1202312390/

EXCLUSIVE: Jack Quaid (The Hunger Games) is set as a lead in Amazon’s straight-to-series drama The Boys, from Supernatural creator and Timeless co-creator Eric Kripke, Preacher‘s Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen and Sony Pictures TV.

Quaid will play Hughie. After the death of his girlfriend by fast-moving Superhero A-Train (Jessie Usher), Hughie is approached by a mysterious “government agent” named Billy Butcher, who drags Hughie into a covert war against a group of Superheroes who are not what everyone thinks they are.

I'm not against an American Hughie, and Jack Quaid actually has the boyish Hughie look. But I hear he's 6'2 feet.

Hughie is supposed to be small and intimidating. It's part of his charm, but now we have a Hughie that's going to be taller than Mother Milk.

I'm going to give it a chance, and I'm actually up for a few creative changes, but how hard is it to find a young 5'5 - 5'10 actor in Hollywood?

This feels like a Hollywood agent desperately trying to force his client into this show, despite him not having all of the correct character traits.

My personal fan choice would have been Iain Decaestecker or Brian "Tell that to Kanjiklub" Vernel. Both of them are native Scotts.

I'm not against an American Hughie, and Jack Quaid actually has the boyish Hughie look. But I hear he's 6'2 feet.

Hughie is supposed to be small and intimidating. It's part of his charm, but now we have a Hughie that's going to be taller than Mother Milk.

I'm going to give it a chance, and I'm actually up for a few creative changes, but how hard is it to find a young 5'5 - 5'10 actor in Hollywood?

This feels like a Hollywood agent desperately trying to force his client into this show, despite him not having all of the correct character traits.

My personal fan choice would have been Iain Decaestecker or Brian "Tell that to Kanjiklub" Vernel. Both of them are native Scotts.

Did not get the memo that they would be changing his ethnicity. I also did not realize Quaid was in Logan Lucky, so he can certainly act.

The guy playing Hughie looks more like the Homelander than the guy playing the Homelander.

So far most of the casting in has been pretty strange.

Did not get the memo that they would be changing his ethnicity. I also did not realize Quaid was in Logan Lucky, so he can certainly act.

I never said they officially changed his ethnicity. I'm just mentally prepared if they actually go ahead and do it.

I'm making a pretty broad assumption about his ability to do a Scottish accent but I'm not that confident he could do it, and even if he could, the studio are probably looking for an "all American" lead.

You know how studios think.

I never said they officially changed his ethnicity. I'm just mentally prepared if they actually go ahead and do it.

I'm making a pretty broad assumption about his ability to do a Scottish accent but I'm not that confident he could do it, and even if he could, the studio are probably looking for an "all American" lead.

You know how studios think.

Rogen and Goldberg have been fairly great at transforming actors who bear little resemblance into the characters.

Rogen and Goldberg have been fairly great at transforming actors who bear little resemblance into the characters.

I'm sure it will be fine. As long as he has Hughie's boyish innocence then I'm cool with any changes.

At 6'2 feet tall he's not going to be "wee" Hughie, unless there being ironic. Which I'm also cool with. I'm not one of these fans that needs things to be exactly like the comics.

I'm sure it will be fine. As long as he has Hughie's boyish innocence then I'm cool with any changes.

At 6'2 feet tall he's not going to be "wee" Hughie, unless there being ironic. Which I'm also cool with. I'm not one of these fans that needs things to be exactly like the comics.

Quaid is pretty darn skinny. So, "wee" in that sense.

Our Billy Butcher is Bones!

http://deadline.com/2018/04/the-boys-karl-urban-cast-amazon-superhero-drama-series-billy-butcher-1202359273/

‘The Boys’: Karl Urban To Play Lead Billy Butcher In Amazon’s Superhero Series

Karl Urban has been tapped to star in Amazon’s straight-to-series superhero drama The Boys.

Urban will play the Boys’ leader Billy Butcher. Mysterious, brutal and with a personal but secret agenda, Billy Butcher approaches Hughie (co-lead Jack Quaid), claiming to be a shadowy government operative. Butcher capitalizes on Hughie’s rage over his girlfriend Robin’s accidental death at the hands of superhero A-Train (Jesse T. Usher) and enlists Hughie as part of his plan to bring down the Superhero franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"