Andy Serkis IS Alfred Pennyworth

Mmm... no.

No need for countermeasures. Let Warner Bros. do their own thing.

Wonder how he got hurt.

Keeping the beard and hair for the role? I like it and would be interesting for Alfred

Yeah true but just saying I wouldn't it

Wonder how he got hurt.
He's just getting into character.

67086df31dc4cc1c864c1b282eb233d8.jpg

Just don't make him surley and say things like oy and crap like that. He can have the look and background but for the love of all that is holy do not go full Gotham on me please . That would be nice .

The military/Wayne's security background combined with being a little more traditional in some ways would be a fun balance. I know lots of older ex-military guys who are super fastidious and neat.

Earth One Alfred inspirations would be awesome!

Please God no, I hate that take and we pretty much got it with Jeremy Irons. We've never really got the comics/BTAS Alfred on film with all of his wonderful facets. Gough had the butler and paternal parts down pat, but felt too frail and elderly. Caine's interpretation had a lot of the key elements, but it felt different and like a fresh take, that was more rough and tumble with more overt military elements (which went on to inspire the more over the top military take in Earth One).

I'd like Serkis to look a little more.....tidy than his usual self.

Yeah, the heavily bearded look reminds me too much of his persona as Klaue in the MCU. I would love for him to change it up and take on a distinct look for the role.

The military/Wayne's security background combined with being a little more traditional in some ways would be a fun balance. I know lots of older ex-military guys who are super fastidious and neat.

So basically Michael Caine's Alfred, or Sean Pertwee's riff on the same idea from Gotham? It's been done a lot lately.

Serkis hobbling around on crutches almost like he’s using a walker at the BAFTA’s is not a good sign for the shoot.

Besides lifting Bruce from a burning pillar in Begins, it's not like Alfred has ever been a particularly active character.

Yea, I doubt it’s gonna matter. It’s not like he (probably) has action/fight scenes.

What I mean is, he looks like he can’t walk a few steps without them.

I’d imagine a fair amount of the time he can just stand there. What’s a usual Alfred role mostly consist of? Standing in Wayne Manor or th Batcave talking to Bruce?

Or he can sit.
Or they can incorporate that into the character somehow.

What I mean is, he looks like he can’t walk a few steps without them.
I dunno about that. It could be the advice he is getting to speed up recovery as much as possible. He doesn't seem to have wearing a cast, air boot, or anything. He also posed for photos without the crutches and seemed able to support his own weight. Harrison Ford suffered a worse injury on The Force Awakens and that movie went just fine with him in a lead action role. All they needed was a brief break in filming. Alfred's role in this is likely to be much smaller and less physically active. I'm sure they can schedule Serkis' scenes around his recovery.

What's to hate about Earth One Alfred or Earth One Batman in general, hater?

Serkis being like a younger version of animated series or Gough's Alfred would be very nice though

What's to hate about Earth One Alfred or Earth One Batman in general, hater?

Serkis being like a younger version of animated series or Gough's Alfred would be very nice though
I'm generally not a fan of Earth One. It takes Nolan's attempts at realistic explanation for Batman's world and goes overboard with them. Other things like Hollywood Harvey are just shudder. I also generally do not like the depiction of Bruce as dumb and overly aggressive or that Alfred pretty much oversaw most of his training.

I prefer depictions where Bruce is more of a self-starter on his journey and Alfred is more of a bystander, forced to watch the boy he helped raise descend deeper and deeper into his obsession. I also think Bruce paling around with a security expert like that is too overt. I prefer the depictions where Alfred is a butler but there is more to him than meets the eye. I really like the idea of Thomas Wayne hiring a former SIS officer or combat medic as the family butler as a hidden security measure.

Generally speaking, I think so many ideas or takes from the mainstream comics are still left unexplored that it seems premature to draw influences from more radical, Elseworlds takes.

I'm generally not a fan of Earth One. It takes Nolan's attempts at realistic explanation for Batman's world and goes overboard with them. Other things like Hollywood Harvey are just shudder. I also generally do not like the depiction of Bruce as dumb and overly aggressive or that Alfred pretty much oversaw most of his training.

I prefer depictions where Bruce is more of a self-starter on his journey and Alfred is more of a bystander, forced to watch the boy he helped raise descend deeper and deeper into his obsession. I also think Bruce paling around with a security expert like that is too overt. I prefer the depictions where Alfred is a butler but there is more to him than meets the eye. I really like the idea of Thomas Wayne hiring a former SIS officer or combat medic as the family butler as a hidden security measure.

Generally speaking, I think so many ideas or takes from the mainstream comics are still left unexplored that it seems premature to draw influences from more radical, Elseworlds takes.
I enjoy most of Earth One's concepts, it's my favourite Penguin take at least on paper and I personally really like Hollywood Harvey, but the execution is profoundly underwritten and I don't think Geoff Johns has a great deal of respect or affection for Bruce as a character. He's never displayed any real aptitude for writing him throughout his career.

Yeah, there’s just something a bit off in the way that Johns handles most Batman characters, really. I think his style just fits other characters a bit easier, and he tends to overcompensate a bit when dealing with the Bats. He’s somewhat better with the Robins... but he’s also the guy who thought that Tim Drake trying to clone the dead Impulse/Kid Flash and Superboy in his basement and making out with Superboy’s girlfriend Wondergirl was a good idea.

Earth One is just honestly an inferior take on a young Batman, as I think kind of became obvious when both WB Games and TellTale managed to overshadow and handle the character in his youth better than Johns. It’s one thing to not match up to the standards of Frank Miller or Christopher Nolan, but getting overshadowed by video game companies with either highly flexible narratives or boss battle quotas is not a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"