Andy Serkis IS Alfred Pennyworth

Serkis is an actor with an incredible amount of range. He can portray a british gentleman butler no problem.

I'm very intrigued to see his take on Alfred Pennyworth, so far my favorite live action version is Sir Michael Caine in The Dark Knight Trilogy.

I wonder if his Alfred will be anything like Jeremy Irons

It will not and thank goodness for that. I have a feeling it will be much warmer in the Zimbalist/Caine tradition.

I wonder if his Alfred will be anything like Jeremy Irons

It will not and thank goodness for that. I have a feeling it will be much warmer in the Zimbalist/Caine tradition.
His Alfred is better than Michael Gough, instead of letting strangers into the cave he just told the Batman he serves to stop being a maniac obsessed with hunting the wrong person. I can easily accept that version of Alfred who was very helpful most of the time.

Happy birthday to our new Mr Pennyworth!!!

View attachment 33759
Precious birthday

Last edited:
His Alfred is better than Michael Gough, instead of letting strangers into the cave he just told the Batman he serves to stop being a maniac obsessed with hunting the wrong person. I can easily accept that version of Alfred who was very helpful most of the time.
I think Michael Gough's version has more depth.

Or if they have Serkis' character his version of Alfred be similar to Michael Caine in the Nolan trilogy then hey I am all for it

I just noticed these pictures of Andy Serkis taken at Warner Bros Leavesden in early March, back when Batman was also shooting on a soundstage.

Maybe he'll look like this in the film after all.

Haggard bearded ex military maybe? Or will they go the more traditional route with him being the more comic accurate gentle type? I hope he does get involved in the action at some point and even save batman a few times or teach him since reeves has said this is a batman who isn’t at his prime yet and has lots to learn

I'm more inclined to think he hadn't been filming yet. But maybe he was. I imagine alot if his scenes can be done in a recording studio.

I'm more inclined to think he hadn't been filming yet. But maybe he was. I imagine alot if his scenes can be done in a recording studio.
I find this more likely. They only got 25% of filming done, there’s no possible way for us to know if he factored into that at all or if he was due to start filming at some point in the other 75%.

I mean, he was at the same studio they were filming Batman in those pictures though. It's quite possible he filmed already.

I just noticed these pictures of Andy Serkis taken at Warner Bros Leavesden in early March, back when Batman was also shooting on a soundstage.

Maybe he'll look like this in the film after all.
God I hope it's not his Alfred look... :yuk:

He looks awesome! The thick, stylish beard suits him. If that's his look I'm super happy with it.

They need to do something different. I’m a bit tired of the clean shaven look. And I’m glad they got an actor that isn’t already in his 70’s when Bruce is starting out. Logically, Alfred would be in his 50’s right now, that way he’s deep in his 70’s when Batman is going on that 15-20 year period.

It’s just a dumb nitpick, but it wasn’t believable seeing Alfred in Batman Begins, clearly in his late 60’s (or older) when Bruce was 8. Then he looked like he was 75ish when Bruce was 21. Then Alfred looks the same age when Bruce is 30. Then it’s nine years later and it’s almost as if this guy has been an elderly man for 32 years lol. I’d like to see more detail and continuity in this trilogy. I get sucked into that stuff. It makes the world feel more real when they pay attention to the tiniest of details.

Last edited:
When asked whether fans were right to expect a 'darker, broodier' Batman, the Lord of The Rings star laughed: "I would say that's not far from the truth.

"It's very much about the emotional connection between Alfred and Bruce. That's really at the centre of it. And it is a really exquisite script that Matt has written."

He said: "He [Caine] was fantastic. His Alfred was legendary, I couldn't even begin to go there, really.

"You find it for yourself. It's like playing these iconic roles in Shakespeare, you go back, you revisit them and you have to make it your own, and see what it is about he character that connects with you and your personal venn diagram."

Adding: "I was literally half way through shooting my part in it when we got shut down. So it will be interesting to see when that resurfaces how it has been affected by it [lockdown].

"But it is, it's going to be a beautiful film."

I guess he will have that beard after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"