Andy Serkis IS Alfred Pennyworth

he should have a beard a mustache for one half and then shave it off for the other half

Wouldn't be surprised if the rumors are mixed up and Serkis is playing Penguin and Collin Farrell is playing Two Face

in that universe, Matt Ross is directing The Batman

Every person being cast in this role on their own is a fine talent. But I've never seen a bigger set of actors being miscast for a film in my life.

Every person being cast in this role on their own is a fine talent. But I've never seen a bigger set of actors being miscast for a film in my life.
You haven't?

Will Alfred bite off one of Battinson’s fingers for wearing one of his rings?

I really think they’re going for a hard core action role for Serkis’s Alfred here. Serkis is an extremely physical actor so there is no way he won’t be part of the action. I actually hope he saves Batman several times as I would love to see a much weaker Batman this time around who needs a lot of back up

To be honest I think Serkis Alfred will be much softer than what people are assuming he'll be.

If you look at his interviews, whenever Matt talks about Serkis he talks about how kind and compassionate and sensitive he is, I think he's even mentioned how they spent hours and hours talking about profound things until they both started crying, and he also mentions how it's those characteristics of Andy that he loved to see eventually translated into Caesar.

Another thing to consider is that: There's nothing more important to Matt Reeves in a story than emotion. He constantly talks about that in interviews as well, he also talks about how he likes to find ways to personally connect to themes or relationships or whatever in his movies, so having those two things in mind there's no way in hell he won't have some extremely emotionally charged surrogate father-son moments in this movie. Even if he appears in 3 scenes, they'll count. Alfred after all is the only person that REALLY knows Bruce to his fullest extent; he's his emotional cornerstone, he was there when his parents were alive, he was there when they were killed, and he's still with him after all that time. Seeing the way Reeves typically approaches things in his movies, I very much doubt he won't make use of that huge part of the Batman canon.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Matt cast Serkis as Alfred precisely because he wants people to see that softer side of him people don't usually associate him with instead of just casting him as a degenerate rogue.

To be honest I think Serkis Alfred will be much softer than what people are assuming he'll be.

If you look at his interviews, whenever Matt talks about Serkis he talks about how kind and compassionate and sensitive he is, I think he's even mentioned how they spent hours and hours talking about profound things until they both started crying, and he also mentions how it's those characteristics of Andy that he loved to see eventually translated into Caesar.

Another thing to consider is that: There's nothing more important to Matt Reeves in a story than emotion. He constantly talks about that in interviews as well, he also talks about how he likes to find ways to personally connect to themes or relationships or whatever in his movies, so having those two things in mind there's no way in hell he won't have some extremely emotionally charged surrogate father-son moments in this movie. Even if he appears in 3 scenes, they'll count. Alfred after all is the only person that REALLY knows Bruce to his fullest extent; he's his emotional cornerstone, he was there when his parents were alive, he was there when they were killed, and he's still with him after all that time. Seeing the way Reeves typically approaches things in his movies, I very much doubt he won't make use of that huge part of the Batman canon.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Matt cast Serkis as Alfred precisely because he wants people to see that softer side of him people don't usually associate him with instead of just casting him as a degenerate rogue.
Serkis may be great at playing bad guys but honestly I'm not surprised to hear about his more sensitive side. He has often brought a lot of humanity to his villains. Gollum was first and foremost a tragic figure and even his Klaw had a certain charm that wouldn't have been there with a lesser actor. Serkis as Alfred never occurred to me but I can totally see it working.

Me: Mr J...mc, did you bring your diary with you? DO you have any, negative thoughts?

Mr J...mc: all I have, is negative thoughts

I love this casting. Serkis is a chameleon, I get the he'd be better for this or that role talk cause he's good at what he does. Yeah he'd be a great Penguin but that's the obvious choice, and I like how we're not getting obvious choices for roles in this movie. I personally love to see actors "act" and flex their acting muscles and not just do the same old thing were used to seeing.

Honestly I'm actually very glad that Serkis landed Alfred over a lot of the other villain fancasts we'd been suggesting for so long. Yes, Serkis makes for a top notch baddie and can play eccentric characters with ease, but for my money, his best performance is Caesar. Not just for all of the small, technical details he put into his performance to better sell the ape elements of the character, but by injecting Caesar with a warm, soulful performance.

So to me, I have no trouble seeing Serkis in the role as Alfred. Because frankly, it has very little to do with how much he looks like a classic Alfred or an Earth One Alfred or the typical look that we've seen from previous Live Action Alfred's.

It's about the performance. It's about getting someone who can pair well off of Pattinson's Bruce and depict the other half of that storied, intimate father-son duo. No matter if Reeves goes with Bodyguard Alfred or Butler Alfred, his relationship with Bruce will always be that of father and son. And Andy Serkis has the acting chops to do that perfectly. He's going to make a top-notch Alfred Pennyworth, just you wait.

I'm honestly surprised that some people dont think Serkis is right for alfred.

I'm honestly surprised that some people dont think Serkis is right for alfred.

I'm even more surprised that a lot of people think he is, right after he was announced :funny:. It took me a while to get used to the idea.

I don't see Serkis being given a role in a big tentpole film where he doesn't get to show a certain amount of aggressiveness or flamboyance. I think him playing a soft-spoken, low-key Alfred would leave people familiar with his roles a little expectant, even if I'm sure he'd pull it off.

I don't see Serkis being given a role in a big tentpole film where he doesn't get to show a certain amount of aggressiveness or flamboyance. I think him playing a soft-spoken, low-key Alfred would leave people familiar with his roles a little expectant, even if I'm sure he'd pull it off.
I think that if there's any director that'd know that Andy is more than aggresiveness and flamboyance and wou, it's Reeves, I really could see him just doing a complete 180 on the way people normally see him. And I don't see how people familiar with his work would be bothered; were they bothered when he played Tesla's assistant?
This is a Gary Oldman as Gordon situation.

That's just it, that type of Alfred's been done, and you don't often get an actor known for eclectic role choices to do something that's been seen before and fairly recently. I think he'll at least be a much more "tough love", wryly humorous type of Alfred, with good nuance. Just a theory.

That's just it, that type of Alfred's been done, and you don't often get an actor known for eclectic role choices to do something that's been seen before and fairly recently. I think he'll at least be a much more "tough love", wryly humorous type of Alfred, with good nuance. Just a theory.
Isn't that pretty much every Alfted except Michael Gough and Alan Napier?

I imagine Serkis will be like the Gotham version of Alfred; merging the tougher and softer versions of the character. A bit more hands-on but still just a butler and still with that soft father love for Bruce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"