Anime that would make great film adaptations

I can't believe I never thought about Lupin III before. Kind of surprised no one has attempted that one, yet.

I can't believe I never thought about Lupin III before. Kind of surprised no one has attempted that one, yet.

There was speculation that Hollywood was planning a film back in 2002-2005 I believe, but it never materialized.

It could be done easily, especially since Lupin himself borrows elements from the Bond franchise as well as various heist/caper films. But it makes too much sense, so it will never happen.

I suppose the biggest challenge would be deciding how extreme to handle the characters or the universe. The main characters themselves are archetypes, and the plots often merge a lot of comedy with over the top adventures, which often involve 1970's era sci fi stuff. Then again, Steven Speilberg once noted inspiration from "CASTLE OF COGIOLSTRO" (made in 1978-1979 if memory serves), and he made a mint using similar things for the "INDIANA JONES" films.

That, and the franchise isn't familiar enough in the states - although it is very popular in Italy, and it's all about the international market these days. CN aired the TV show for a while, but rarely at good times and the animation quality was very dated. I believe CN should have aired some of the films/TV specials as Adult Swim specials, especially when FUNimation was merrily dubbing ten of them. Heck, "CASTLE OF COGLIOSTRO" was directed by the same guy who got praise for "SPIRITED AWAY"; it was his first film. But, again, that sense thing. :p

A fairly popular fan-trailer is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOrugmROSNE

LUPIN THE THIRD happens to be one of my favorite anime franchises, beside YU YU HAKUSHO and THE GUYVER.

Last edited:
I remember watching it on Adult Swim a long time ago. I liked that you could pretty much catch it whenever and enjoy it without coming in mid-story arc or something.

I remember watching it on Adult Swim a long time ago. I liked that you could pretty much catch it whenever and enjoy it without coming in mid-story arc or something.

LUPIN THE THIRD never had story arcs. It never even had very many repeat villains. The only re-occurring themes were character tropes and moments between them. In a way, I think the lack of such "arcs" is why the property hasn't ever really been terribly popular in America; that, and perhaps because even to fans used to 80's animation from "DBZ", the 2nd TV series from the 70's was a bit much for them.

Which is why I feel it would have been better to have tried airing the films on CN. The problem is that the TV series was owned by a different company. But not even the one Lupin film they owned, "SECRET OF MAMO" (formerly "MYSTERY OF MAMO") got to air on Swim. Still, CN was in bed with FUNimation for no end of anime, so arranging to air one of their Lupin flicks shouldn't have been terribly hard.

I was here to write the same thing.
But, actually, I can't think of an actor as funny as Lupin! Who do you think would be good to play Lupin III?

I was here to write the same thing.
But, actually, I can't think of an actor as funny as Lupin! Who do you think would be good to play Lupin III?

Due to looks and physical comedy, Jim Carrey at least in his younger years wouldn't have been a bad choice. The problem now is that he'd likely demand at least his usual $20-25 million salary and he often refuses to do any sequels. The only film he did a sequel do was "ACE VENTURA" and that was because he signed up before he was an instant sensation.

Some message boards touted Jason Lee as not being a bad choice.

To a degree, what actor one would cast as Lupin depends on what version of Lupin the film has. Some incarnations have him being sort of sweet with his letcherous ways a bit of a show for women he doesn't truly love; other incarnations have him as a letch, period. Still, the general rule with Lupin is that he only steals from those rich enough to handle the loss, and while he may flirt, grope, and literally jump out of his pants at a woman, in the end he still will try to do right by them. The fact that he loves Fujiko, for instance, is usually why she is always able to betray him.

Back in 2003, it was announced that Gerald R. Molen, the producer of "SCHLINDER'S LIST" gained the U.S. film rights to LUPIN THE THIRD from Monkey Punch, who didn't want to get involved. All that was known was that the five main characters - Lupin, Jigen, Fujiko, Goemon, and Zenigata - would be involved. Molen hinted that he would be willing to change certain things to make it sell in the U.S. market.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2003-02-27/lupin-iii-coming-to-hollywood

However, it is unknown whether WhiteLight Entertainment still has the rights or interest in a Lupin flick. I imagine with better known U.S. film adaptations to anime such as "SPEED RACER" and "DRAGONBALL: EVOLUTION" bombing, they would be hesitant to invest in one that isn't as well known.

There was a live action Lupin film made in Japan in 1974, which was released in America by DISCOTEK MEDIA in 2006.

Armitage III: Poly Matrix :up: Totally.

Tron Bonne said:

If it was done well, I'd be all over that. :woot:

Mobile Suit Gundam - Characters are better developed than any other Gundam series. Just need to update some of the mech designs, but not as convoluted
as the recent series.

Robotech - Cool aerial flights and the like with a great story.

Galaxy Express 999 - But based off the Anime movies instead of the manga. It might work if shot mostly green screen with some small sets like "300" and "Sin City"

Akira - But based off the manga. It would well as a two part movie separated where Akira first shows up.

Ghost in the Shell - Matrix based itself off of it, so it could be a big success.

Cowboy Bebop - But only if Yoko Kanno does the music.
And the movie would have to start with an extended version of the show's opening theme, after a prologue scene. No if's, and's or but's.

The Big O

Hugh Jackman for Roger Smith
Dakota Blue Richards for R. Dorothy Wayneright
Ian McShane for Gordon Rosewater
Liev Shreiber for Schwartzwald (Michael Seebach)
I picked the same a long ways back...I think I picked Kristen Stewart for Dorothy at the time.

Somebody cast Steins Gate....another good candidate for a live-action version.

ngomqf.jpg

bffm2v.jpg

I heard that Spielberg was interested in a Lupin III movie, either way i think that it could be made into a very interesting movie, the only difficult thing would be the casting as he's half-Japanese, half-french or something like that, as is Fujiko and Jigen.

They could simplify things by making each characters exactly what they represent, Lupin is a personification of Europe's wit and sophistication, Goemon signifies the discipline and quiet dignity of Japan, and Jigen is the rough and tumble all-American. These words were taken right from wikipedia :D

I would also like to see Cowboy Beebop and Evangelion movie, now for the less popular ideas i will say Bleach, it's in development and i think that the first arc could work, he becomes a shinigami and stops Hollows, the last battle can be the conquest between Ishigo and the last Quincy, to explain all this Japanese mythology he can be an American student in Japan or something like that as was done in the Karate Kid remake where he was in china.

I also think that Naruto could be great if done right and with a proper budget, the Zabuza arc i a great way to start, it has also many great villains and if sequels were done there is a lot of material to make the story deeper.

I always thought Ghost in the Shell would work really well. Almost matrix style you know? In fact the Wachowski's did get a lot of material from this film too.

Akira as well, and it is being filmed but recently put on hold due to budget... We shall see how this plays out.

I think Claymore would work as a cool horror/fantasy type movie :)

I would love to also see an Outlaw Star movie! :) <3 Hot Ice Hilda

Hi Everyone,

I have released an anime/live action retro inspired web series called Super Dingo a few days ago. It's jam packed with action, adventure, and fun FX.

If intrigued, the first episode Super Dingo Vs The Pirates can be viewed here:

http://youtu.be/rAlugcmkx-U

Cordially,

Secret Bush Agency
Australia

I think G Gundam would be entertaining. Different cultures, different Gundams, some good action.

Was that the one where they fought Gundams competitively?

Yeah, they held a competition to see which countries government would rule for the next year...I think it was a year. I thought it was pretty good.

Anime I think would make great adaptations:

Fullmetal Alchemist - I know it's been mentioned before, but still, this one is a no brainer. It could be a "Lord of the Rings" -type epic.

Death Note - This would be the easiest to adapt because, aside from the Shinigami and their world, it's pretty grounded in reality.

Cowboy Bebop - This is just begging for one. It's like if Han Solo had his own film. :woot:

Trigun - A western sci-fi with equal parts comedy and drama, starring a lovable, seemingly clumsy pacifist, (though a skilled shooter) with a troubled past. What's not to love about that?

Gungrave - I think this anime would be interesting to adapt, though it would have to be done in several parts to tell it right.

Steins;Gate - Maybe not adapt it wholesale, but the basic concept and same character types.

Death Note
Monster

Not much more tbh, I bet the extreme stuff like Bleach and Fairy Tail won't work

Crusher Joe could be fun if done right.

Any of the Mobile Suit Gundam shows would be great for a film adaption. I'd love to see a movie on the OYW.

Michael Fassbender would be a great Father/Homunculus from FMA. Jean Dujardin would be a great Lupin the 3rd.

I can DREAM.

Gun X Sword would be interesting to see. It's a good revenge story.

Funny, I just finished that a few days ago and thought to myself the same thing.

Some elements would have to be compressed and removed here and there in order to make it work. It would also have to be a trilogy in order to tell the story properly without sacrificing anything important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"