Any guys here cut their own hair?

imdaly

- Part 12
Reaction score
Howdy

So it's been about 5 months since I've had my hair cut and it's WELL past time to get it done. But I've been holding off because I'm thinking about trying a go at doing it myself, rather than spend $15 every month or two to have someone else do it.

Now, I can see how most people wouldn't trust themselves to do it themselves, as I'm sure haircutting is much more difficult that it looks, but my hairstyle looks VERY easy to do. It's basically all electric razor, just in 3 different lengths: very short on the side, a little longer on top, and a little longer than that at the crown. And after that they always take hair scissors to go around and even up any uneven parts the razor left behind.

So anyway, yeah, I'm thinking about trying to do this myself.

My question is: Has/does anyone else here cut their own hair?

I'm also growing out my facial hair, and am needing to get a beard trimmer. Is there any difference between a beard trimmer and an electric shaver, or could I find one that could double as both in one unit? Neither my hair or my facial hair would ever need to be any longer than about 1 inch at the longest.

Anyone have any tips on what to do and what not to do?

And just for the sake of making an interesting thread out of this, does anyone have any good stories about a time when you tried to cut/style your own hair or have someone non-professional do it?

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :) :up:

Please post before and after pics. Thanks. :up:

jag

I mean, look at my avatar...you think I can get a close shave like that on my own?

I cut it myself or have my roomie do it, depending upon how long or short it is at any given time.

I shave my head sometimes - either a number one or a number none (that's when my user name really suits :D) if I'm feeling silly. I've started letting it get a bit longer lately though - I figured I may as well enjoy having hair now in case I am ever to fall fowl to man disease :o

Psss Man disease = baldyness :D

I shave my head every monday, at 815 am. If you wanted to know. I don't have any tips, unless you are shaving it all the way, if it's just a cut. I Don't know.

I shave my head sometimes - either a number one or a number none (that's when my user name really suits :D) if I'm feeling silly. I've started letting it get a bit longer lately though - I figured I may as well enjoy having hair now in case I am ever to fall fowl to man disease :o

Are you drunk?

You are typing like your drunk.

I wish I was drunk. :csad:

I had my hair really short for a long time and the last year or so I've grown it out more. Like Eggy said you never know if and when you may fall fowl to man disease.

Howdy

So it's been about 5 months since I've had my hair cut and it's WELL past time to get it done. But I've been holding off because I'm thinking about trying a go at doing it myself, rather than spend $15 every month or two to have someone else do it.

Now, I can see how most people wouldn't trust themselves to do it themselves, as I'm sure haircutting is much more difficult that it looks, but my hairstyle looks VERY easy to do. It's basically all electric razor, just in 3 different lengths: very short on the side, a little longer on top, and a little longer than that at the crown. And after that they always take hair scissors to go around and even up any uneven parts the razor left behind.

So anyway, yeah, I'm thinking about trying to do this myself.

My question is: Has/does anyone else here cut their own hair?

I'm also growing out my facial hair, and am needing to get a beard trimmer. Is there any difference between a beard trimmer and an electric shaver, or could I find one that could double as both in one unit? Neither my hair or my facial hair would ever need to be any longer than about 1 inch at the longest.

Anyone have any tips on what to do and what not to do?

I've buzzed my friend's hair before. If you're maximum length is 1 inch, there's really not a whole lot you can do that can go wrong (famous last words)--just buzz away. The only bad experience I've seen is with ear tapers. Most trimmer kits come with ear tapers, and, if not used properly, you can accidentally buzz your hair almost down to the scalp around the ears... so you might want to avoid using those. Instead, just use the standard 1" attachment... or if you want to go a little shorter on the sides, use just under a 1" attachment.

I thought the Man Disease was an enlarged prostate? :huh:

jag

I've shaved my own head dozens of times with clippers and a guard. There's nothing to that. You just have to have someone trim up your neck and around your ears usually, but anybody with a halfway steady hand can take care of that for you.

I thought the Man Disease was an enlarged prostate? :huh:

jag

I suppose you're right, jag ol' pal. It isn't really fair to call baldness Man Disease any more due to the large increase of balding woman hitting the streets.

So now the enlarged prostate is the cornerstone of male diseases. I wonder how long it'll be before women steal that from us? :whatever::hehe:

I suppose you're right, jag ol' pal. It isn't really fair to call baldness Man Disease any more due to the large increase of balding woman hitting the streets.

So now the enlarged prostate is the cornerstone of male diseases. I wonder how long it'll be before women steal that from us? :whatever::hehe:

If they want it, they're welcome to it. :hehe:

jag

I just buzzed my hair today. I use a 1/8 inch blade. I think that is a #2.

:up:

I cut my own hair every two weeks, because my hair grows so fast.

Nah, I'd rather fork over the $11 to have a pro do it.

No idea, as their other services don't matter to me.

I've only paid for one haircut in the past 16 years (grade 9), and that was on my wedding day.
Mind you, I had long hair for a few years there and just needed to trim a bit here and there and the rest of the time it was either buzzed, slighty longer on top or mohawk type cuts.

If you want anything too layered it can get difficult. My tip on that is to just take your time. Separate your hair that you want cut a certain length (even wet the hair you aren't cutting that length so you can make a better part between).

DON'T RUSH ANYTHING!!! the minute you think you got it under control so you can do it faster is the time you'll mess up something (ie forget to change guards, cut too far etc..).

Th^t just reminded me off a workmate. LOL! He's balding and went to get his head shaved at lunch. When he came back it looked it usually did after he'd been buzzed, but when he turned round there was a big stripe along the side of his head. The barber had forgotten to put a gurd back on after trimming his neck line lol.

I couldn't believe it when he said he'd actually paid for it :lmao:

I SAW A LADY WITH HAIR LIKE LARRY FROM THE THREE STOOGES!!!

and for the record.. i buzz my own hair bout every two weeks. its easier and makes me look meaner for my metal band...jag knows whats up...We myspace buddies!!!

This thread made me think of the Flowbee. Remember that thing? Haha! :D

jag

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"