Batman Begins Anyone still feel Bale wasn't the right choice??

I think Christian Bale is a fantastic Batman.
Still, I'd really enjoy seeing a bigger, taller Batman... like 6'8'' at least.

That might just be me though.

^Then everyone would know that this 6'8" guy dressed as a bat has to be the only other 6'8" guy in town-Bruce Wayne. 6 foot plus makes you one big,conspicious ****er. I'm glad they didn't pick a big guy. Bale's ?Wayen size is average-making his Batman cover less obvious....

*cough*Superman*cough*

To me, Batman will always be a fantasy hero. That's not something that would bother me much...
Plus, I'd have him be more of a shadowy figure... a giant, bat-like shadowy figure.

Oh yeah!

Alfie Luke said:
*cough*Superman*cough*

To me, Batman will always be a fantasy hero. That's not something that would bother me much...
Plus, I'd have him be more of a shadowy figure... a giant, bat-like shadowy figure.

Oh yeah!

agreed. burton did batman the best still, IMO. i wasnt crazy about nolans "realistic" approach as batman isnt really that realistic of a hero. a bit more grounded then others, yes, but still, whats batman without the fantasy aspect? please. thats why i simply didnt like BB as much as burtons films. after watching BTAS, i REALLY dislike nolans gotham, AND bales batman. no mystery to batman. that sucks. and that voice.......horrible.

You can't get much better than Bale as Batman...
Actually, I'm positive, YOU CAN'T GET A BETTER ACTOR FOR BATMAN / BRUCE WAYNE.

The thing is.....the fantasy aspect is what nearly killed Batman. That's why an extreme was needed, because of the "Oh.....well, he can do that...because....he's Batman" line. Schumacher just over did the fantasy aspect, and I think EVERYONE needed to see him grounded.......thus Begins.

Think of it as the BATMAN 89 to ADAM WEST type of formula.

Bale is 6'2.......6'1 if you believe whatever rants exist. Batman is 6'2, and you gotta believe Bale is ATLEAST 6'2 in the costume.

6'8 Batman.....? ATLEAST??!! Wtf????

That's just ridiculously tall.....Batman would be a joke, he'd never be able to dodge a single bullet, and he'd be off balance constantly with his opponents......lol.

I personally feel Nolan's Batman is better, IMO......but hey this is all opinions we are all sprouting so I can respect all.

^ According to IMDb, Christian Bale is 6'.
... and guess what, Michael Caine is 6' 2''.

To my knowledge, Alfred was never taller than Batman... sure, it's a minor detail, but I think it takes away from the character. The fact that he physically looks like an average man ( in good shape ) makes him feel somewhat more ridiculous to me. Batman is supposed to be bigger than most people... it's part of the character.

The thing is.....the fantasy aspect is what nearly killed Batman.

No. It's the " I'm a flashy extraverted metrosexual " aspect of Batman that Schumacher incorporated in the franchise that almost killed it. Plus, there isn't just 1 single 'type' of fantasy. Burton's version was also fantasy, but a lot darker and gothic like. All of the 3 different interpretations I've seen on film ( Burton, Shumacher and Nolan ), I feel that all of them have missed something. They all brought something different to the table with some interesting elements and others a little bit less, but in the end, you always compare them with your own personal view and they all fall short to your expectations.

... not saying they aren't good movies... well, some of them at least.

That's just ridiculously tall.....Batman would be a joke, he'd never be able to dodge a single bullet, and he'd be off balance constantly with his opponents......lol.

Wasn't the fact that they decided to give him bulletproof protection in the movies the whole point? That he WASN'T able to dodge bullets? They shoot him, but it doesn't do anything... it's part of why they think he's something more than human. Plus, there are many tall professional athletes and being tall doesn't involve having no balance. For Batman, I wouldn't want to go under 6' 5'', that's about as short as he can get.

Alfie Luke said:

There was a picture posted on the hype with all the actors standing side by side and Bale was exactly just as tall as Caine was.

To my knowledge, Alfred was never taller than Batman... sure, it's a minor detail, but I think it takes away from the character. The fact that he physically looks like an average man ( in good shape ) makes him feel somewhat more ridiculous to me. Batman is supposed to be bigger than most people... it's part of the character.

No. It's the " I'm a flashy extraverted metrosexual " aspect of Batman that Schumacher incorporated in the franchise that almost killed it. Plus, there isn't just 1 single 'type' of fantasy. Burton's version was also fantasy, but a lot darker and gothic like. All of the 3 different interpretations I've seen on film ( Burton, Shumacher and Nolan ), I feel that all of them have missed something. They all brought something different to the table with some interesting elements and others a little bit less, but in the end, you always compare them with your own personal view and they all fall short to your expectations.

Wasn't the fact that they decided to give him bulletproof protection in the movies the whole point? That he WASN'T able to dodge bullets? They shoot him, but it doesn't do anything... it's part of why they think he's something more than human. Plus, there are many tall professional athletes and being tall doesn't involve having no balance. For Batman, I wouldn't want to go under 6' 5'', that's about as short as he can get.

Alfie Luke said:

Is it noticeable in the movie? no, Bale and Caine are same height, you sound like Batwing6655.

There was a picture posted on the hype with all the actors standing side by side and Bale was exactly just as tall as Caine was.

Oh! That changes everything![/Sarcasm]

Is it noticeable in the movie? no, Bale and Caine are same height, you sound like Batwing6655.

It may not be 'noticeable' in the movie, but the fact still remains that he is taller and that Batman should be a lot taller than Alfred.
Well, they could always find a shorter actor to play Alfred, I guess... he he he.

... and just so you know, I'm not Batwing6655.

Batwing6655 said:
christian bale is a *****ebag as batman...you may argue the point that he makes a great bruce wayne however.. nobody can look, act, and talk better than keaton did in the bat suit. I hate how bale overexaggerates his lips whenever he's in the batsuit and makes his voice sound real gay... anywho keaton was the best of the batmans, if bruce waynes character would have been developed like it was in begins everybody would be ravvvvvvvving

This has got to be one of the most classless posts I've ever seen here. Not to mention biased. Aren't you banned yet?

Christian Bale has the look as Bruce Wayne and Batman. He looks like the type of guy who could handle himself. Of the four, which one would have the best chance of intimidating you?

His version could probably beat up Mr. Mom, that guy from Kiss, Kiss, Bang, and Danny Ocean at the same time. I respect each portrayal of Batman, well may except for Clooneys. (Joel Schumacher single-handedly almost killed comic book adaptations)

Batman is supposed to inherently display a dark side. Bale's prescence was perfect as both, because his eyes almost always showed him as a troubled human being. He was brooding due to a lack of self-definition.
His life had no purpose, and he had no moral code. This deeply afflicted him.

This is a character who suffers an unbearable pain, and his remedy, his obssession is too make sure that pain is never experienced by others.

Michael Keaton was good, but Bale is undoubtedly the best.
I don't think Bale's vocal performance was as great as others, but his visual stage prescence more that made up for that possible shortcoming.

I guess Christian Bale is just the type of actor who most people love or hate. Most of my friends pull vehemently for one or the other. Personally, I love his work and believe that he is one of Hollywood's genuinely nice people. The Machinist & American Psycho are both great films also.

HarleenQuinzel said:
So by calling Christian Bale a "*****ebag" you really think he's (this is from wikipedia):

Someone who is annoying, bossy or embarrassing.
Someone who is stupid, intellectually challenged or mentally deranged but less than clinically insane.
Someone who is unintelligently lying or scamming.
Someone who is arrogant, elitist or snobby.
Someone who is socially inept.

Yeah, that describes Chirstian Bale PERFECTLY.:down :down

Pathetic.

Do we know if Christian Bale, the man is actually like that or not to affirm/deny? Which is unimportant btw.

Alfie Luke said:

Uh....how does Alfred being taller than Batman take away the character? That is the most dumbest thing I ever heard. Batman is tall, but he doesn't have to be almost like tall than everyone else. It just Michael Caine is tall, so it doesn't matter. The acting is what count, not the height thing.

I think Bale did an awsomw job as batman. I couldn't and wouldn't want to see anyone else do the part. :)

Amen, sister

batgirl_wxm said:
I think Bale did an awsomw job as batman. I couldn't and wouldn't want to see anyone else do the part. :)

Uh....how does Alfred being taller than Batman take away the character? That is the most dumbest thing I ever heard. Batman is tall, but he doesn't have to be almost like tall than everyone else. It just Michael Caine is tall, so it doesn't matter. The acting is what count, not the height thing.

... most dumbest?

Anyways, it's not the fact that Alfred is taller than Batman that takes away from the character, it's the fact that Batman in the movie isn't really tall, period. I added the part about Alfred to add to the point. To me, Batman has always been a big guy and they never really made him like that on film.

Alfie Luke said:
... most dumbest?

Anyways, it's not the fact that Alfred is taller than Batman that takes away from the character, it's the fact that Batman in the movie isn't really tall, period. I added the part about Alfred to add to the point. To me, Batman has always been a big guy and they never really made him like that on film.

Michael Gough seems taller then Michael Keaton but you never complain about that?? since I don't care about that Batman 89 good movie, Caine is inches taller then Bale or even same height that is the lamest thing I heard no wonder you nitpick it like Batwing6655.

IMDB....? And they have credibility since when.....?

Right.......but don't you think the whole, "now he has a giant plane ready" aspect is kinda shot up? I mean, the concept of having the batmobile drive up a freaking wall was bad. Not because it was "homoerotic", but because it was fantastically stupid.

What do we want from the "fantasy" part? Do we want crazier villians? Do we want more comic inspired stuff? I mean....it seems like we are getting more of the comic world from Nolan's Batman, but with his take on it.

Look at this way....unless Robert Rodriguez someday wants to make a panel by panel copy of a Batman comic- most good directors will never do the same. It's a part of movie making. Same as making comics, always different takes.

6'8 is just clumsy tall. Those guys have a hard enough time getting through doorways.......imagine trying to sneak around ontop of warehouse rafters and balance beams when scoping out the area.

Nope, there's a reason why Batman is 6'2 in the comics. It's because its the perfect blend of atheltic quickness with the ability to intimidate when needed. 6'2 is tall. But, he's able to still get around easily without knocking his head on ceilings.

The reason for the armor suit is for protection.....but not to be hit with a barrage of bullets. Lucuius himself said it can take anything but a straight shot, and it'd be damn hard NOT to hit a 6'8 dude with a straight shot.

6'5 MAY be okay.....but I still think it's unnecessarily tall. Plus.....not many GOOD actors are that tall to begin with.

But, I'll respect your opinion man.....there are SO MANY different takes out there that a 6'5 Batman is probably drawn most of the time. But, I feel that Batman Begins is more like Neal Adams-Denny O'Neil and like a Jeph Loeb-Tim Sale......a Batman that is buff, but is lean.

Yup, I remember that pic. He was standing alonside most of the cast members. I think he was about even with Ken Watanbe too, who I've heard is like 6'2 or 6'3.

I think the only time Bale seems shorter than an actor is beside Ra's and Lucius......oh, and that asian dude with the scar on his face, "I'm the devil". But, C'mon......Neeson and Freeman are 6'4.

It may not be 'noticeable' in the movie, but the fact still remains that he is taller and that Batman should be a lot taller than Alfred.

Since when does Batman have to be alot taller than Alfred? Batman is 6'2......should Alfred be like 5'7??? Plus.......in MANY interpretations of Alfred, Alfie had served the armed forces...either as some agent, some solider, or some medic...so it can be suggested that Alfred is a big guy too whose been places. Obviously, he can't use karate......but I don't see why he needs to be less thab 6'0.

Do we know if Christian Bale, the man is actually like that or not to affirm/deny? Which is unimportant btw.

The funny thing about Bale is that he's alot like the Wayne character in the comics....he's a total mystery to the public. He's a very hidden person, very personal. He's a mystery when his private life is concerned, and I respect that becuase in Hollywood that ain't easy to do.

Since when was Batman considered the big guy in the comics? He uses fear and weapons to defeat his eniemies......he's usually drawn as a muscular chararcter, but hardly in the GOOD stories has he been drawn like some giant. Read YEAR ONE......Bruce doesn't appear to be like some 6'6 dude there. Not even very muscular either.........

Btw....Batman looked DAMN TALL and DAMN INTIMIDATING when he smashed Crane's little skull on the concrete wall.

Alfie Luke said:

He isn't really tall? Bale is 6' 0". That tall for a man. More taller than Keaton for sure, so I ain't complaining. :p

You also forgot that Charles Naiper (I think that his name who play Alfred in the 60s Batman tv show) is surely taller than Adam West. Alfred is supposely normally tall. Supposely taller than Bruce Wayne.

I think that the man who played Alfred on the 60's tv show name was Alan Napier.

Michael Gough seems taller then Michael Keaton but you never complain about that??

Maybe because we're NOT talking about Batman '89?
Plus, let me quote myself on what I distinctively said earlier:

To me, Batman has always been a big guy and they never really made him like that on film.

That wasn't that hard, was it?

IMDB....? And they have credibility since when.....?

The Internet Movie Database, I think it has plenty of credibility.
You should check it out sometime...

Right.......but don't you think the whole, "now he has a giant plane ready" aspect is kinda shot up? I mean, the concept of having the batmobile drive up a freaking wall was bad. Not because it was "homoerotic", but because it was fantastically stupid.

Like I said earlier, there are different kinds of 'fantasy'. When you look at the Batman comics and cartoons, you can see plenty of stuff that isn't 'realistic', but the world of Batman has ( how should I put this ) wider boundaries of reality, which allows it to present fantasy oriented material, while keeping it in the realm of possibility for that particular world.

Look at this way....unless Robert Rodriguez someday wants to make a panel by panel copy of a Batman comic- most good directors will never do the same. It's a part of movie making. Same as making comics, always different takes.

I'm not expecting a 100 % comic-to-movie transposition, far from it. It's based on personal interpretation of the characters and the world around them. Batman has consistantly been portrayed as average in height and I'd like to see otherwise, for once.

6'8 is just clumsy tall. Those guys have a hard enough time getting through doorways.......imagine trying to sneak around ontop of warehouse rafters and balance beams when scoping out the area.

Hence my rectification to 6'5'', no less.

Nope, there's a reason why Batman is 6'2 in the comics. It's because its the perfect blend of atheltic quickness with the ability to intimidate when needed. 6'2 is tall. But, he's able to still get around easily without knocking his head on ceilings.

Batman has had a lot of martial arts training and he's a really intelligent man that knows what he's doing. Being 6'5'' wouldn't really be a dissadvantage to being 6'2'' for him, as he uses his surroundings to his advantage. Plus, even if being 6'2'' was the "best height" according to you, the fact still remains that Christian Bale is only 6'.

The reason for the armor suit is for protection.....but not to be hit with a barrage of bullets. Lucuius himself said it can take anything but a straight shot, and it'd be damn hard NOT to hit a 6'8 dude with a straight shot.

I never said that. As I stated earlier, I said that they decided to give him a bulletproof armor because he wasn't able to dodge bullets in the first place, I never emplied that he wasn't even going to try, due to the armor. Plus, if you're able to shoot a 6'5'' guy, you're able to shoot a 6'2'' guy, come on now.

6'5 MAY be okay.....but I still think it's unnecessarily tall. Plus.....not many GOOD actors are that tall to begin with.

I know there's probably not a lot of good 6'5'' actors that are known and I would never sacrifice talent for height, that's for sure... but that's not going to stop me from wanting a taller Batman.

Since when does Batman have to be alot taller than Alfred? Batman is 6'2......should Alfred be like 5'7??? Plus.......in MANY interpretations of Alfred, Alfie had served the armed forces...either as some agent, some solider, or some medic...so it can be suggested that Alfred is a big guy too whose been places. Obviously, he can't use karate......but I don't see why he needs to be less thab 6'0.

The thing is, in Batman Begins Alfred not only is taller than Batman, he's also quite big... which doesn't really help. Most, if not all interpretations of Alfred that I have seen, there is always a big difference in size between Bruce and Alfred and when I say 'size', it doesn't only involve height but also body structure, wideness, etc. Still, once again I wouldn't sacrifice talent for physique, but in my mind, it takes away from the character...

Since when was Batman considered the big guy in the comics? He uses fear and weapons to defeat his eniemies......he's usually drawn as a muscular chararcter, but hardly in the GOOD stories has he been drawn like some giant. Read YEAR ONE......Bruce doesn't appear to be like some 6'6 dude there. Not even very muscular either.........

Come on now, he's always been pretty big... not "the big guy", but more like a large, muscular man. I'm not trying to emply he's body builder big, but he is a physically imposing man. In my eyes, he should almost NEVER have to look up to anyone, which he does in Batman Begins.

Bale is 6'1 almost exactly. I am 6'0 and when I stood next to him, he was a forehead taller than me. In the suit w/ the boots...he is 6'2 at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philippe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"