APP. "Gotta Catch 'em All." The Pokemon RPG.

'Sup boys! I'm totally in! I'll take that GM position too. :) I think we need some serious rules to make sure this doesn't turn gay. I plan to rule with an iron fist!!!
I'd don't want in on this RPG, though it is a cool idea. However, I back up Marko on being a GM. This guy's Poke' crazy! :up:

Well...maybe not, but he certainly knows his stuff.

And it won't be completely gay either when I do it! That is my #1 priority.

I was never by any means a fan, I just collected the pokemon I thought were cool and looked cool as a kid and played Blue...but to be honest a more mature thing of this could be interesting.

EDIT: But I'd prefer to see the established parts of it first before committing. Stuff like the application, the rules that would have to be implemented, the details, etc etc. It seems not too much has been "finalized" yet.

And I want to see something done with this, "All Pokemon passed out. You blacked out" ****. How about, your pokemon pass out, you stay conscious! :cmad:

Sorry...that always got to me...

And I want to see something done with this, "All Pokemon passed out. You blacked out" ****. How about, your pokemon pass out, you stay conscious! :cmad:

I'm pushing for it to be more like the cartoon and comics, where that doesn't happen.

I just read the rest of the thread to get an idea of what we had already talked about. I think the original 151 would be cool for the initial setup, but what's just me. I've played Blue, Silver, Crystal, and Sapphire. I actually don't even have any problems adding the G/S/C Pokemon, but having 450+ Pokemon would be insane and not very cool. RBY and GSC were the best, so I think we should stick with those ones. Stick to Johto and Kanto.

Also, (*assumes he's been made GM already*) I think we should start taking reservations on characters. I'll take Brock for sure right now, and maybe later another character.

Also, I just wanted to clarify main character names as their offically unofficial names, for clarification.

RBY - Red (male starter), Leaf (female starter), and Blue (rival).
GSC - Gold (male starter), Kris or Crystal (female), and Silver (rival).

So...I'll make the list.

RESERVES

Trainers
All Available

Gym Leaders
Brock, Pewter City
Mr Marko

Villains
All Available​

Also, I just wanted to clarify main character names as their offically unofficial names, for clarification.

I'm confused with this part.

I'll create a Johto trainer, with Totodile as his starter for my first post, a mysterious Poke-egg from Prof. Birch, and he'll catch a Charmander.

Those are just the characters in RBY and GSC that you could name. Those are the names that they go by on the fanbase. So we don't have somebody trying to call Red Ash, or Blue Gary.

I just read the rest of the thread to get an idea of what we had already talked about. I think the original 151 would be cool for the initial setup, but what's just me. I've played Blue, Silver, Crystal, and Sapphire. I actually don't even have any problems adding the G/S/C Pokemon, but having 450+ Pokemon would be insane and not very cool. RBY and GSC were the best, so I think we should stick with those ones. Stick to Johto and Kanto.

Also, (*assumes he's been made GM already*) I think we should start taking reservations on characters. I'll take Brock for sure right now, and maybe later another character.

So...I'll make the list.

RESERVES

Trainers
All Available

Gym Leaders
Brock, Pewter City
Mr Marko

Villains
All Available​

What about created characters? And I'd really prefer that all existing pokémon be allowed, with the restriction of not being able to own legendaries.

Marko, I tried sending you an invite on MSN to chat, too bad Jinn doesn't seem to have one, so we could all figure this out, 'cause it seems like there are too many different ideas here, and that can't be good. We need to bang out a consistent rule list.

Personally, I think Gym Leaders and Villians should be taken directly from the games, while Trainers create their own character. Characters like Red should be NPC'd, and should be a role-model (or something like that) to our own Trainers. Just my thoughts, though.

I would be okay to have created players, but I think it would be cool to have them fall under a certain class as listed here:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Trainer_classes

Just an idea, but that doesn't necessarily have to happen. You would need to be known as a Swinner or something. Just to give more direction to the character. He doesn't have to be in a speedo all the time, but you get the idea.

I see where your coming from Marko. Instead of just saying that your character is beginning their journey as a Pokemon Trainer or something generic like that, you want people to flesh out their character and give them intrests other than Pokemon.

Yeah, exactly.

SF, if we're going to go with the time frame we talked about, we need to establish who the Elite Four and Champion are.

Why not play a Giovanni that's learned from those past mistakes, and formed a better, stronger Team Rocket?
Yeah, that's a good point. I'd also have a little more freedom with the character as well. Still I like the idea of the RPG starting at the beginning of Red/Blue/Yellow, and then Season I would end at the end of Season I.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page

This is my personal resource for Pokemon info. And just a personal opinion on the topic, I think that it would be cooler if we had to choose only three initial Pokemon. If everyone has six that could be alot to keep tabs on.
I've used that wikia site too. However, I wish it was more exact on details of what Pokemon Team Rocket Grunts carried. I've been playing through Pokemon Yellow recently and have been keeping track, but it'd be much easier if I could find a site with that information :o

Only three? Even though its freakin' Giovanni!? Now, if this RPG were to happen at the beginning of Red/Blue/Yellow, then I could work on a plan of starting out with three with me (around upper level 20's), having a few of his 'finest' back at his Headquarters (around level 40-50), and then he has to catch the rest.

If its after the events of Red/Blue/Yellow, in the games hes already had 5 high level Pokemon from his Gym, not to mention probably 3-4 others from two fights that Red had with him in Silph Co.

I'm pushing for it to be more like the cartoon and comics, where that doesn't happen.
Thirded!

Or maybe even just sticking to Kanto, and then we come up with our own place. Of course, I'm heavily opinionated in that area as I'm not really a huge fan of anything past Red/Blue/Yellow :-/

So...I'll make the list.

RESERVES

Trainers
All Available

Gym Leaders
Brock, Pewter City
Mr Marko

Villains
All Available​
Hey, I reserved Giovanni back on the first page! Put him on the reserved list :cwink:

Yeah, exactly.

SF, if we're going to go with the time frame we talked about, we need to establish who the Elite Four and Champion are.
Would not the Elite Four stay the same, even if Red is the Pokemon Master?

If this RPG is after Red/Blue/Yellow, then shouldn't Blue now be a part of the Elite Four? (seeing as how he's technically the second most powerful trainer next to Red). If that happens, which of the Elite Four would get booted off? Or would it maybe become an Elite Five?

Questions, questions ...

I was talking to SF, and what could be interesting would be 3 Pokemon to start off from, but each one had to be from a different "game". Like, you couldn't have Charmander and have Sandshrew for example. I think that is one way you can have all of the Pokemon on the game without any problems.

And then, you have the option to catch up to 3 more Pokemon; having no more than 6 to me would be best, but if it was 6 at a time like the games, than oh well. All SUPER rares (which are obvious, but typically towards the end of the lists) would be uncatchable, but you could chase/fight them, etc for storie elements.

Other than that? The rest doesn't bother me too much what happens when all is decided.

I was talking to SF, and what could be interesting would be 3 Pokemon to start off from, but each one had to be from a different "game". Like, you couldn't have Charmander and have Sandshrew for example. I think that is one way you can have all of the Pokemon on the game without any problems.
Then what the hell is someone like Mr. Marko supposed to do, he's playing Brock, who only had a Geodude and an Onyx! Are you to tell me that he could only be allowed to have his Onyx since you can get both a Geodude and an Onyx in the same game? Or is he not even allowed both since both Geodude and Onyx are catchable in Red, Blue, and Yellow?

Giovanni runs into similar problems, considering he only has certain Pokemon.

This rule is SEVERELY limiting, especially to established canon characters who have specific Pokemon. Plus, this is an RPG that should have ALL 151 Pokemon open to us (well, minus having the Legendaries catchable of course). Yes, this RPG is based on the games, but that doesn't mean we have to live by their limitations. Hell, I wanna have some 2 vs. 2 Pokemon battles!

And then, you have the option to catch up to 3 more Pokemon; having no more than 6 to me would be best, but if it was 6 at a time like the games, than oh well. All SUPER rares (which are obvious, but typically towards the end of the lists) would be uncatchable, but you could chase/fight them, etc for storie elements.

Other than that? The rest doesn't bother me too much what happens when all is decided.
Like I mentioned before, Giovanni, is well, the LEADER of Team Rocket. He should be able to have more then 6. Though not more then six at a time of course, he would leave some back at headquarters.

Now, I could understand these rules if this was a Pokemon RPG with just made-up beginner trainers, but this isn't the case. Just about anyone is available, and there seems to be too many trainers I could think of that would break these rules.

Then what the hell is someone like Mr. Marko supposed to do, he's playing Brock, who only had a Geodude and an Onyx! Are you to tell me that he could only be allowed to have his Onyx since you can get both a Geodude and an Onyx in the same game? Or is he not even allowed both since both Geodude and Onyx are catchable in Red, Blue, and Yellow?

This rule is SEVERELY limiting, especially to established canon characters who have specific Pokemon. Plus, this is an RPG that should have ALL 151 Pokemon open to us (well, minus having the Legendaries catchable of course). Yes, this RPG is based on the games, but that doesn't mean we have to live by their limitations. Hell, I wanna have some 2 vs. 2 Pokemon battles!

Like I mentioned before, Giovanni, is well, the LEADER of Team Rocket. He should be able to have more then 6. Though not more then six at a time of course, he would leave some back at headquarters.

Now, I could understand these rules if this was a Pokemon RPG with just made-up beginner trainers, but this isn't the case. Just about anyone is available, and there seems to be too many trainers I could think of that would break these rules.

I could argue for certain rules to be bent slightly for those playing Gym Leaders and the like (like maybe allowing one more to start with, or another fully evolved Pokémon to start).

And I think it's best that we don't limit which games the pokemon on your team come from. Have a mix, have a whole Kanto team, whatever it doesn't matter.

And by the way, 2 vs. 2 battles ARE in the games.

Yo, I think I may be in for a Gym leader. I don't want a huge role. I just want to be able to fight some people. Am I allowd to pick any Gym leader not taken?

I should have been more clear. That rule was obviously only if you were to create your own trainer. :clown:

Ok, I'm still confused about some things...

• Are you using Generation I and II? Or just I?
  • Unless you're a Leader, you can't have more than 3 Pokemon?
  • Are you using Trainer Classes?
  • What's the process of catching a Pokemon? If it's not limited in some way, people will just be like, "Look at that! I just caught a wild Gyrados, level 56!"

All the Pokémon that currently exist are available (aside from the legendaries), but the action will take place mostly in Kanto (the first Gen region for the uninitiated) although I want Johto to be used as well.

No levels. I think it flows better that way. As in the anime and manga, the battles are more like what we're used to here in the RPGs.

Created characters start with three, but can catch more eventually. As for the Gym Leaders (and pre-existing Trainers in the game), I was thinking of letting them start with the Pokémon they have in their latest chronological appearance in the games (i.e. Gold and Silver for the Kanto guys, as it takes place two years after Red/Blue/Yellow).

Yes, we are using trainer classes to help develop a characters focus on their Pokémon, as well as their outside interests.

Catching a Pokémon in a post should be a big dramatic event, even if it is just a Rattata or Caterpie. Put some effort into it, make it believable and it'll be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"