Are there certain kinds of Fanboys that annoy you? - Part 1

it annoys me when people are on here 24/7 and diss fanboys. Kinda a pot calling the kettle black.... we're all fanboys in some form. Unless you pop in here only about once a month.....
I disagree about this. Fanboys have a certain degree of obsessive focus that you can't accuse everyone who likes comics, sci-fi and anime of having.

To piggyback what Morningstar says, it's all about having eclectic tastes and how wisely you spend your time and money. To me 'Fanboy' is like a religious zealot. Maybe even seems like they have a touch of Aspergers. Like Sheldon and Simpson's Comic Book Guy.

For me, I have my downtime where I do things like watch Star Wars and Superhero stuff. Fanboys are like those guys though where their thing is their thing all the time. They don't wait for people to ask "hey, what did you think of Avengers" and even when they do, they have some lecture prepared instead of just saying "I really liked it! I'm really into those superhero movies".

I disagree about this. Fanboys have a certain degree of obsessive focus that you can't accuse everyone who likes comics, sci-fi and anime of having.

To piggyback what Morningstar says, it's all about having eclectic tastes and how wisely you spend your time and money. To me 'Fanboy' is like a religious zealot. Maybe even seems like they have a touch of Aspergers. Like Sheldon and Simpson's Comic Book Guy.

For me, I have my downtime where I do things like watch Star Wars and Superhero stuff. Fanboys are like those guys though where their thing is their thing all the time. They don't wait for people to ask "hey, what did you think of Avengers" and even when they do, they have some lecture prepared instead of just saying "I really liked it! I'm really into those superhero movies".

There are different levels to being a fanboy... What you described is the extreme. Not all fanboys are like that

There are different levels to being a fanboy... What you described is the extreme. Not all fanboys are like that
Then I wouldn't call them 'Fanboy'.

Just like I wouldn't throw around the term 'Zealot'. Also, it's calling someone a "-boy", and I don't consider calling a grown man a "-boy" to be a term of endearment.

Then I wouldn't call them 'Fanboy'.

Just like I wouldn't throw around the term 'Zealot'. Also, it's calling someone a "-boy", and I don't consider calling a grown man a "-boy" to be a term of endearment.

I do. As long as "fan" is attached to it.

Honestly if some one tried to insult me with the term "fanboy" I'd just laugh at their clueless ass.

It's not the 1950's when people who liked comics, fantasy and sci-fi were picked on. The world eventually caught up with us.

Even amongst nerds I don't see 'Fanboy' used much as a compliment. But, if you like the term, by all means call yourself that. Free speech and all.

"fanboy" like any other term... is only negative depending on how it's used. Sorry.. but in the real world a "fanboy" is simple someone who follows.. or is a fan of certain genre's that usually include but are not limited to (superheroes, sci-fi, graphic novels, sword and sorcery, anime, etc...) like every group of people.. they're all generalized stereotypes (see the big bang theory). But, like all "groups" of people, not everyone fits into that stereotype.

Last edited:
[YT]YjdBYp567ME[/YT]

This kind.

it annoys me when people are on here 24/7 and diss fanboys. Kinda a pot calling the kettle black.... we're all fanboys in some form. Unless you pop in here only about once a month.....

I try to limit it to a few times a week. :up:

2 years later and almost every kind of fanboy still annoys me.

• Console War Fanboys. Both have benefits and drawback but neither is crap compared to the other.
  • Hardcore MCU fanboys. I was gonna say Studio fanboys but it's these who are present in all, for example MCU vs Fox, MCU vs Sony and MCU vs DC. There's hardly any DC vs Fox or Sony vs DC ect...
  • Football Fanboys. I don't get the love of the sport enough to get into such fights over it

"fanboy" like any other term... is only negative depending on how it's used. Sorry.. but in the real world a "fanboy" is simple someone who follows.. or is a fan of certain genre's that usually include but are not limited to (superheroes, sci-fi, graphic novels, sword and sorcery, anime, etc...) like every group of people.. they're all generalized stereotypes (see the big bang theory). But, like all "groups" of people, not everyone fits into that stereotype.

Imo the "Fanboy" is those like you said but who intentially crap on competing properties over their fanatics for their preferred property.

-Hardcore DC [Film] Fanboys. I find their Fundamentalism annoying; listening to them, DC's film division can do no wrong, Snyder is Jesus, and Man of Steel is the next Chinatown. Part of being a fan of a franchise is acknowledging when a studio makes mistakes; I've acknowledged all of the mistakes I see in the MCU, and I consider Feige/Whedon artistic heroes. But, the constant potshots at Marvel and the religious fervor have made me distance myself from the DC film crowd.

-The Defenders of the Killing Joke. The Joker crippled and raped Barbara Gordon; it infuriates me to no end when defenders claim that the Joker did not rape her. I recommend they look up the current definition of what constitutes rape (especially in light of the original art Bolland created, that was subsequently censored.) Rape aside, the crippling of Barbara infuriates me as well. Defenders have said, "oh, it provides positive characterization and added some realism to the dangers of crime fighting." Fine, if that is the case, than Bruce should have stayed in a wheelchair after Bane/Ben broke him.

-The Rabid Doctor Who Fans. The canon has acknowledged that Time Lords can change gender in their regenerations, but, raise the possibility in the discussion, and one will find the some of most misogynistic comments possible. I'm not even raising the lid on the can of racism, as my blood pressure will skyrocket even more.

-Hardcore Halloween Fans. I have no problem with viewers not liking Zombie's unique take on the mythology. I take issue with the claims that he ruined it or that the franchise was in such stellar shape before Zombie added his two cents. Before H20, Michael siring a child with his niece was canon. Let that sink in for a ruddy moment. Post H20 retcon, we had the awfulness of Busta Rhymes in Resurrection.

Hardcore MCU fanboys. I was gonna say Studio fanboys but it's these who are present in all, for example MCU vs Fox, MCU vs Sony and MCU vs DC. There's hardly any DC vs Fox or Sony vs DC ect...

I think this is mostly because two of Marvel biggest properties-Spidey and the X Men -are tied with those studios, and fans ( in general, not just Marvel fans) are still divided on the fact on wheter those studios has done good jobs with those properties.

Things like Too much Wolverine....Spidey reboot etc etc

DC doesn't have that propblem because their well known characters are being adapted by the same studio.That's why you don't see DC fans *****ing about other studios.

batman fans .
who believe with prep time he could take down god.
whereas in reality (comic reality) he'd get his ass handed to him by a whole plethora of super powered people...
I like batman but the fans can be pretty rabid at times..

Lotsa hardcore videogames fans...because of their overblown sense of self entitlement,,,

The ones who believe they're always right and are entitled to be heard because they're... "right".

I was listening to a podcast about a guy who gave up on the entire comic book medium because he didn't like the quality of the paper they use to print the comics.

I immediately stopped listening

Batman fanboys who only like teh dark, because teh funniez ain't mature and interesting, and batgod can beat superman and even darkseid with enough prep time, also, only TAS and JL/JLU are teh definitive Batman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"