Arkham Asylum: The Thread for Debating the Insane Topic of Batman Realism

Not insecure on my part, at all. I only brought up that kind of point to counteract Shauner's post that minimized Harry Potter, Star Wars and the MCU as 'kiddie', because Batman isn't any less 'kiddie' than those properties can be.

It's not insecure to acknowledge that something serious can also sometimes be silly. That's being quite secure, actually.

Exactly.

I wasn't referring to you when I made that statement I was more referring to Dark Detective.

Star Wars Harry Potter and MCU are for all ages there definitely not "kiddie" in my opinion.

There's light stuff and dark stuff in them.

The irony of this statement has made this whole thread worth it. Because you just described exactly who the fantasy character known as the Batman is intended for.

6c734ae06a5cf818ca349141474b6cb1.gif

McDonald's and Warner Bros circa the second half of 1992 and through the majority of the rest of the 90's would beg to differ with you sir. It was certainly released and marketed as such, but I think the infamous television spot where they interviewed a kid about the film and initiated quite a lot of pearl clutching "Think of the children" reactions speaks for itself.
We have these very same situations for any children's content that involves members of the LGBTQIA+. We have it for Harry Potter, because teaching kids witchcraft is amoral. Does that suddenly change that we are talking about material intended for kids? Consider the complaints about teaching children about "critical race theory". Or as normal people call it, history.

Something being controversial for a few people, doesn't change the actual content or context.

I...can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not?

Because that's why I said 'via different interpretations', which I thought would shield me from being misconstrued.

Saying an IP is for all ages does NOT mean that every interpretation is for all ages.

I wouldn't make the argument that Batman Returns is for all ages nor was I - I'd make the argument that Batman as an IP is.

Because the same year we had Batman Returns, we had Batman: The Animated Series.

My apologies, it's quickly becoming difficult to tell who's actually on the same page as me there with all of the different posts that are coming in right now. :funny:

On this front specifically? Yes, I completely agree with you!

It's the greatest strength that Batman as a franchise has. It can be adapted and shown across the various mediums in a variety of different tones and approaches that are best suited for different age groups each.

I wasn't referring to you when I made that statement I was more referring to Dark Detective.

Star Wars Harry Potter and MCU are for all ages there definitely not "kiddie" in my opinion.

There's light stuff and dark stuff in them.
Do you believe "kiddie" stuff doesn't have anything dark in it? Grimm's Fairy Tales say hi.

My apologies, it's quickly becoming difficult to tell who's actually on the same page as me there with all of the different posts that are coming in right now. :funny:

On this front specifically? Yes, I completely agree with you!

It's the greatest strength that Batman as a franchise has. It can be adapted and shown across the various mediums in a variety of different tones and approaches that are best suited for different age groups each.

No apologies necessary - I think this thread's getting confusing and like a crossfire of points that we can't tell who or what agrees with who.
:)

And yes, I prefer a serious/gritty Batman - but I also love how flexible the IP is.

It's one of the reasons I think Batman and Spider-Man have remained among the top selling superhero brands for one shared reason = they both can do so, so much for so many demographics, styles and interpretations - and they've had this demonstrated more than any comic book property than I can think of, I feel.

This is their key to longevity and relevance. And I'm glad Batman is in on that.

No apologies necessary - I think this thread's getting confusing and like a crossfire of points that we can't tell who or what agrees with who.
:)

And yes, I prefer a serious/gritty Batman - but I also love how flexible the IP is.

It's one of the reasons I think Batman and Spider-Man have remained among the top selling superhero brands - it can do so, so much for so many demographics, styles and interpretations.

Same! It's more than a little ridiculous at this point. :funny:

Yeah, absolutely. And I appreciate your use of the word "flexible" here.

In a perfect world, I'd want to see Reeves fully embrace his grounded 70's neo-noir-meets-horror take on the most classic parts of the BatMythos in that universe, while Keaton and company tackle the BatFamily and the most fantastical stuff in the DCEU and then have a third live action film series that goes headfirst into the Adam West/Joel Schumacher/Brave and the Bold territory.

The irony of this statement has made this whole thread worth it. Because you just described exactly who the fantasy character known as the Batman is intended for.

The Batman is aimed at adults. Which is why it has a PG-13 rating. Do you expect no kids to go see it?

Yes, the source material. The funny books about the child fantasy character, THE BATMAN.

I can see how that strikes you as ironic.

But it's hard to quantify the entire Batman brand.

Parts of Batman are for kids parts for adults and parts for anyone.

There divided into sections while all behind equally valid and worthy part of the characters history.

If you are under the impression that I'm saying Batman as a whole is for adults than your wrong im not.

Matt Reeves take is specifically for adults.

Killing Joke is specifically for adults.

The source material started out for adult's and wisely took away the stuff that was edgy for the sake of edgy like Batman killing.

Now it really depends on the artist and creative team behind it.

Some are full adults other for kids other for all ages.

It all depends on the creative team behind it.

PG 13 is completely bull**** when you actually read the descriptions.

KIDS ARE gonna see The Batman because kids enjoy Batman as well from the takes aimed at them.

Last edited:
If anyone here was around in 2008 - I can't be the only one who read articles back then that reported parents were not happy with how far The Dark Knight pushed PG-13 and they felt bamboozled.

Many parents felt it should've been R, at that time.
Parents in 1992 weren't happy with how dark Batman Returns was either.

You're avoiding the point.

You can like Batman anyway you like. That doesn't change who/what Batman is. A superhero, a kid's fantasy. And you claim that isn't what you like, while continuing to discuss that very kind of entertainment. To do so, you have to completely ignore the very topic you are trying to talk about. A dude dressed up like a Bat, fighting crime, with his fantasy outfit and equipment. This is why the argument over realism has no actual legs.
The original intention of Batman doesn't really matter to me since I don't read the earliest comics. The stuff I'll read is usually Bronze Age or modern graphic novels that depict Batman as a dark, more mature character. Where the villains are real sickos. Batman is BOTH a story for kids and adults. That's what it's become. Especially since the 70's/80's. I do have a personal attachment to Batman so even if he was just for kids, I'd give it a pass because I was a fan of Batman as a child. So that stuff carries over. As a 33 year old, I really don't think I'd latch onto a Spider-Man movie or comic these days if I was introduced to it recently. But because I experienced it as a child in the 90's, I can sit there and really get immersed in a future Tom Holland Spider-Man movie that may have childish humour and villains.

But Batman has become more than a kid friendly superhero. Wearing a costume does not mean it's for kids. That clown you talk about is basically a serial killer. And comics across multiple mediums have stories with those guys where the tone is very serious and tragic and horrifying. Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum is for adults. Straight up. It's pure horror. If it was adapted it would be Rated R or a PG-13 rating that teeters on a R just like this movie we're all going to see in March.

So I simply don't see Batman the same way you do. It's kinda in its own category because the tone is so flexible. And my nostalgia and bias for Batman plays a large part in why I'm still even interested in this character, sure. But I can honestly say that if I only heard of Batman last year, I'd be intrigued enough to buy comics like Ego, Year One, Prey, ASHOSE, Her Sister's Keeper, Nine Lives, Night Cries, Long Halloween. A Superman comic? Forget it.

The vast majority of the GA still see Batman as this hokey adventure tale, I'm sure.

Karens (hate using such an overused term but still) still see Batman as the cartoonish Schumacher version and I'm not sure anyone can tell me different.
I disagree. Nolan changed the perception.

Tone and execution of those tales decided that.

Some are toned down for kids others are not.

Your trying to make this black and white when on reality it's grey.
No, I am treating it like the reality of what is. I am arguing against the self-importance of a character who dresses up like a bat. I am arguing against the idea that just because something is "for kids" doesn't mean it can't be mature. A phrase much like realism, that people are using incorrectly.

You remember how you said action figures are for people of all ages? That's what Batman is. Batman is a morality tale, made for all ages. About the good one man can do for his community. He's Robin Hood. Using phrases like 70s noir and saying someone is based on a real world serial killer, doesn't change this. It doesn't change that at his core, Batman is the story of a man who dresses up like a Bat and fights for the soul for his city' with his bare hands against a color rogues gallery, whether they wear leather, trash bags or kick ass suits. Which at it's barest essence is the adventures we grew up with as kids

The reason why we get the "PG-13" Batman we do now, is because we all grew up with it. Reeves is a Batman geek. He's living out a childhood fantasy making this movie.

You're avoiding the point.

You can like Batman anyway you like. That doesn't change who/what Batman is. A superhero, a kid's fantasy. And you claim that isn't what you like, while continuing to discuss that very kind of entertainment. To do so, you have to completely ignore the very topic you are trying to talk about. A dude dressed up like a Bat, fighting crime, with his fantasy outfit and equipment. This is why the argument over realism has no actual legs.
Batman is and has been many things. I don't agree with the way shauner has expressed his points but reducing Batman to "a kid's character" is extremely reductive considering how many versions of him out there. Some versions of Batman are for kids, but some very very much aren't, he isn't the type of character in which you can just make a blanket statement like that when for 30+ years now you'd never give a 5 year old the weekly Batman comic.

The original intention of Batman doesn't really matter to me since I don't read the earliest comics. The stuff I'll read is usually Bronze Age or modern graphic novels that depict Batman as a dark, more mature character. Where the villains are real sickos. Batman is BOTH a story for kids and adults. That's what it's become. Especially since the 70's/80's. I do have a personal attachment to Batman so even if he was just for kids, I'd give it a pass because I was a fan of Batman as a child. So that stuff carries over. As a 33 year old, I really don't think I'd latch onto a Spider-Man movie or comic these days if I was introduced to it recently. But because I experienced it as a child in the 90's, I can sit there and really get immersed in a future Tom Holland Spider-Man movie that may have childish humour and villains.

But Batman has become more than a kid friendly superhero. Wearing a costume does not mean it's for kids. That clown you talk about is basically a serial killer. And comics across multiple mediums have stories with those guys where the tone is very serious and tragic and horrifying. Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum is for adults. Straight up. It's pure horror. If it was adapted it would be Rated R or a PG-13 rating that teeters on a R just like this movie we're all going to see in March.

So I simply don't see Batman the same way you do. It's kinda in its own category because the tone is so flexible. And my nostalgia and bias for Batman plays a large part in why I'm still even interested in this character, sure. But I can honestly say that if I only heard of Batman last year, I'd be intrigued enough to buy comics like Ego, Year One, Prey, ASHOSE, Her Sister's Keeper, Nine Lives, Night Cries, Long Halloween. A Superman comic? Forget it.
It's not a simple question of the original intentions. He's still a guy who dresses up like a Bat, with a comic book moral code and fights an unrealistic rogues gallery of people. That's the character. What you decide to read, doesn't change that. The clown has always been a serial killer. Even when I watched him on BTAS.

It's not a simple question of the original intentions. He's still a guy who dresses up like a Bat, with a comic book moral code and fights an unrealistic rogues gallery of people. That's the character. What you decide to read, doesn't change that. The clown has always been a serial killer. Even when I watched him on BTAS.
I honestly don't know what's inherently childish about this concept to be honest. Maybe it's the fact that I've grown up with the dark Batman so for me seeing him be dark just seems like his natural habitat to me, but the description "A guy that dresses up like a bat" doesn't immediately ring to my head "character for kids", if anything, separating all my knowledge from that character, "A guy that dresses up like a bat after his parents got murdered in front of him when he was 8 years old" reads more to me like crazy unsettling traumatized person than role model for kids.

He can work as a role model hero for kids and has done so in many incarnations, but that isn't what he has to be, or what I even think his concept immediately evokes.

Batman is and has been many things. I don't agree with the way shauner has expressed his points but reducing Batman to "a kid's character" is extremely reductive considering how many versions of him out there. Some versions of Batman are for kids, but some very very much aren't, he isn't the type of character in which you can just make a blanket statement like that when for 30+ years now you'd never give a 5 year old the weekly Batman comic.
The problem with this argument is that it ignores who "grown up" Batman is. What he's for. He's "mature" (use this term loosely) who grew up with the character. This isn't something limited to Batman. It applies to so many action adventure fantasy franchises, including a crap ton of DC characters. Arguably all of them. Same for Marvel.

Because what we see is a repackage of children's tales under the guise of being for adults, because more then anyone. But this is still the story of a dude who dresses up like a Bat to fight crime. And the best way to keep these legends alive? To have people share them with their kids. Which is why as mature as people want to claim this movie is going to be, a bunch of kids will be in the theaters with their parents. Just like they were with the "mature" Deadpool, which was rated R.

I don't look down at the lunacy of the "mature" guy who wears costumes and fights crime. I just know what is.

Screw this 'kiddie stuff sucks' talk.

Winnie the Pooh is freaking boss.
So is Kermit.

My three favorite films of all time are Alien, Stanley Kubrick's The Shining and Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

And I'd go so far as to say that all three films slap harder than any Batman movie or TV show to date.

So now if you don’t want to kill a fool
it is now labeled a "comic book moral code" lmao instead of "having a moral code". Weird thing to say.

So he fights unrealistic villains. Hmm. Harrison Ford's Deckard fights a bunch of unrealistic villains. Does that make Bladerunner a movie for kids?

[
No, I am treating it like the reality of what is. I am arguing against the self-importance of a character who dresses up like a bat. I am arguing against the idea that just because something is "for kids" doesn't mean it can't be mature. A phrase much like realism, that people are using incorrectly.

You remember how you said action figures are for people of all ages? That's what Batman is. Batman is a morality tale, made for all ages. About the good one man can do for his community. He's Robin Hood. Using phrases like 70s noir and saying someone is based on a real world serial killer, doesn't change this. It doesn't change that at his core, Batman is the story of a man who dresses up like a Bat and fights for the soul for his city' with his bare hands against a color rogues gallery, whether they wear leather, trash bags or kick ass suits. Which at it's barest essence is the adventures we grew up with as kids

The reason why we get the "PG-13" Batman we do now, is because we all grew up with it. Reeves is a Batman geek. He's living out a childhood fantasy making this movie.

I think your looking for "self importance" when there is none and I don't agree that people are using realism incorrectly.

Batman IS for all for ages.

Any a one from kids to adults can find a corner of Batman aimed at them for them to enjoy.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know what's inherently childish about this concept to be honest. Maybe it's the fact that I've grown up with the dark Batman so for me seeing him be dark just seems like his natural habitat to me, but the description "A guy that dresses up like a bat" doesn't immediately ring to my head "character for kids", if anything, separating all my knowledge from that character, "A guy that dresses up like a bat after his parents got murdered in front of him when he was 8 years old" reads more to me like crazy unsettling traumatized person than role model for kids.

He can work as a role model hero for kids and has done so in many incarnations, but that isn't what he has to be, or what I even think his concept immediately evokes.
What you described being played straight and with him as the hero, is what makes it's "inherently childish". He's Zorro. A child fantasy. You can get into the meta if you like, but the meta only exist because we play it straight. How many Batman stories not only question Batman as a concept, but then lead to him being thrown in jail, locked up and never let back out on the streets again?

- He's a superhero.
- He's incredible rich.
- a skilled hand to hand fighter.
- He's fancied by multiple women, who happen to also be superheroes.
- His origin is that of so many kid's stories. The orphan who lost his parents to tragedy.

That's Batman. And I love him. But that's who he is.

I think your looking for "self importance" when there is none and I don't agree that people are using realism incorrectly.

Batman IS for all for ages.

Any a one from kids to adults can find a corner of Batman aimed at them for them to enjoy.
That’s not my quote lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"