Arkham Asylum: The Thread for Debating the Insane Topic of Batman Realism

What you described being played straight and with him as the hero, is what makes it's "inherently childish". He's Zorro. A child fantasy. You can get into the meta if you like, but the meta only exist because we play it straight. How many Batman stories not only question Batman as a concept, but then lead to him being thrown in jail, locked up and never let back out on the streets again?

- He's a superhero.
- He's incredible rich.
- a skilled hand to hand fighter.
- He's fancied by multiple women, who happen to also be superheroes.
- His origin is that of so many kid's stories. The orphan who lost his parents to tragedy.

That's Batman. And I love him. But that's who he is.
I think that your take on whether you see Batman as inherently childish or not is more than anything influenced by maybe the way he was first introduced to you, because I was a kid around the time of the Nolan era, and to me, Batman always seemed like "the hero for adults". And I kinda think that a lot of people in my generation (Zoomers and very young millenials) share the same viewpoint. I never inherently associated him as a kid's character.

So now if you don’t want to kill a fool
it is now labeled a "comic book moral code" lmao instead of "having a moral code". Weird thing to say.

So he fights unrealistic villains. Hmm. Harrison Ford's Deckard fights a bunch of unrealistic villains. Does that make Bladerunner a movie for kids?
It's literally the comic book moral code. That's what it's called. Are you denying this?

I mean, I watched Blade Runner as a kid. Same with Alien. Beyond that though, Deckard isn't a comic book character. He didn't come from the comics, he's not a superhero, and he's certainly doesn't fit all the trappings of a superhero. He certainly doesn't wear a ridiculous costume, nor does he swear off guns do to a moral code based in being in a kid's book.

Ahhhhh but i don't see Batman as a "superhero". Nothing super about him technically. He's a human being and vigilante. Costumes or not, that's what he is.

People disagreed with Rob when he said he wasn't a superhero. But I agree with him.

I think that your take on whether you see Batman as inherently childish or not is more than anything influenced by maybe the way he was first introduced to you, because I was a kid around the time of the Nolan era, and to me, Batman always seemed like "the hero for adults". And I kinda think that a lot of people in my generation (Zoomers and very young millenials) share the same viewpoint. I never inherently associated him as a kid's character.
So you were introduced to him as a kid. The guy who dresses up in a batsuit and you were like, that's very adult.

Hero for adults is still pure fantasy. It's just under the guise of being "more mature" so as to try and disassociate with it being "childish".

Perception is everything. See, when I say my ludacris stuff (trust me I know it's ludacris), I'm not passing it all off as fact. It's just my opinion. How I see these properties. But Skywalker over here is literally saying things as if it's factual.

That's why I said "I said what I said!" because I can't change anyone's thoughts on this. And nobody's gonna change my viewpoint. It's just what I like or don't like.

Ahhhhh but i don't see Batman as a "superhero". Nothing super about him technically. He's a human being and vigilante. Costumes or not, that's what he is.

People disagreed with Rob when he said he wasn't a superhero. But I agree with him.
Whether you see him as a superhero or not, is not relevant. Batman is a superhero and this isn't an argument.

So you were introduced to him as a kid. The guy who dresses up in a batsuit and you were like, that's very adult.
Yes, that's exactly what I did. I don't find the concept of Batman inherently childish or ridiculous, and I think a huge chunk of that is because of the fact that my first memories of him are associated with the Nolan era. I saw him as an adult character because those seemed like adult movies with an adult fanbase.

Yes, that's exactly what I did. I don't find the concept of Batman inherently childish or ridiculous, and I think a huge chunk of that is because of the fact that my first memories of him are associated with the Nolan era. I saw him as an adult character because those seemed like adult movies.
But you were a kid when you came up with that thought. You understand that right? When I was a kid, Batman and Superman weren't childish concepts to me either. Because I was a kid. It was the same for the Biker Mice from Mars and Power Rangers. The conversation I am having now, is asking you to look at the character and realize what we are talking about here.

But you were a kid when you came up with that thought. You understand that right? When I was a kid, Batman and Superman weren't childish concepts to me either. Because I was a kid. It was the same for the Biker Mice from Mars and Power Rangers. The conversation I am having now, is asking you to look at the character and realize what we are talking about here.
It doesn't change the fact that I still to some extent share the thought to this day. I don't think Batman is a childish character by nature. He can be a childish character in some incarnations, but I don't see that as his default like you do.

And no, I didn't see Batman the same way I saw Power Rangers or Superman. To me, the Nolan movies formed my perception of him as the "adult superhero", I felt I was watching something I wasn't meant to watch whenever I caught glimpses of those films. I didn't feel that way about other superheroes, just Batman.

It doesn't change the fact that I still to some extent share the thought to this day. I don't think Batman is a childish character by nature. He can be a childish character in some incarnations, but I don't see that as his default like you do.

And no, I didn't see Batman the same way I saw Power Rangers or Superman. To me, the Nolan movies formed my perception of him as the "adult superhero", I felt I was watching something I wasn't meant to watch whenever I caught glimpses of those films.
Define what you mean by "childish".

Your second paragraph makes Batman sound like taboo, and thus you find him inherently mature. That's not exactly a mature way of looking at the character.

What is the name of this place you are posting about The Batman?
Not everything in this forum is about superheroes. Look up every single section of the forum. And a lot of ppl call Batman a superhero and a lot of ppl don't see him as such. You like to live in a world of absolutes but it's a world where a lot of this stuff is subjective. I know your whole purpose when coming into these threads lately is to correct people. But it doesn't need correcting. We just see Batman differently. And that's fine.

Define what you mean by "childish".

Your second paragraph makes Batman sound like taboo, and thus you find him inherently mature. That's not exactly a mature way of looking at the character.
I saw him as taboo when I was a kid because the way pop culture presented him during that era was as an adult character, so I don't see anything about his concept inherently childish.

I feel like Batman at his core is more of a detective than anything honestly. Or moreso a mix of a vigilante and detective.

I can also see why everyone sees him as a superhero. My first introduction to Batman and Joker was through that Batman/Superman World's Finest TAS crossover. But that doesn't mean Batman can't tackle more overtly mature themes to set his world apart from the Spider-Men, Spider-Women, Thors, and Supermen we all know and love.

Not everything in this forum is about superheroes. Look up every single section of the forum. And a lot of ppl call Batman a superhero and a lot of ppl don't see him as such. You like to live in a world of absolutes but it's a world where a lot of this stuff is subjective. I know your whole purpose when coming into these threads lately is to correct people. But it doesn't need correcting. We just see Batman differently. And that's fine.
A lot of stuff is subjective. Whether Batman is a superhero isn't one.

I'm here to have a discussion. You don't want to have it, fine. But you seem determined to keep talking about me specifically, not the argument.

I saw him as taboo when I was a kid because the way pop culture presented him during that era was as an adult character, so I don't see anything about his concept inherently childish.
Okay, but you do realize that's your personal view, that is ignoring the character himself, right? You bring up pop culture, but pop culture knows Batman is a superhero character for all ages.

How do you define childish?

A lot of stuff is subjective. Whether Batman is a superhero isn't one.

I'm here to have a discussion. You don't want to have it, fine. But you seem determined to keep talking about me specifically, not the argument.

What IS YOUR ARGUMENT !?

What IS THIS DISCUSSION SUPPOSED TO BE !?

Please tell this board what your trying to prove here.

I feel like Batman at his core is more of a detective than anything honestly. Or moreso a mix of a vigilante and detective.

I can also see why everyone sees him as a superhero. My first introduction to Batman and Joker was through that Batman/Superman World's Finest TAS crossover. But that doesn't mean Batman can't tackle more overtly mature themes to set his world apart from the Spider-Men, Spider-Women, Thors, and Supermen we all know and love.
There's a lot of Sherlock Holmes to Bruce, I agree. He's a good example of a "superhero" before there were superheroes.

You bring up Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Thor and Superman, like they haven't had stories with overtly mature themes. But they have. Do you believe having obvious super powers limits the ability to tell a "mature" tale?

What IS YOUR ARGUMENT !?

What IS THIS DISCUSSION SUPPOSED TO BE !?

Please tell this board what your trying to prove here.
I've done it multiple times. Why are you yelling?

[
I've done it multiple times. Why are you yelling?

What's your motive for this argument.

Do you feel that people are ****ting on other takes on Batman that are not aimed at adult's ?

Because if so that's not what anyone is saying so you can stop trying to claim that every single Batman adaption or comic is aimed at kids or all ages and zero aimed at adult's.

C’mon guys. Batman is a superhero. He’s a guy who does elevated heroics. He’s a superhero.

I don't see Battinson Batfleck or Keaton's Batman as superheroes.

There viglanties struggling to listing to there heroic sides while unstable.

Again it depends on the take of Batman.

There's a lot of Sherlock Holmes to Bruce, I agree. He's a good example of a "superhero" before there were superheroes.

You bring up Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Thor and Superman, like they haven't had stories with overtly mature themes. But they have. Do you believe having obvious super powers limits the ability to tell a "mature" tale?
Not necessarily but they usually don't focus on it. Spider-Man probably wasn't the best example for what I'm trying to say but Gotham is a ****hole in a way those other cities aren't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"