Arrow Arrow S3 E1 The Calm

No, it's called common sense. Hey this person shows up unexpectedly to confront me, and they're armed. We're the only two people around, jeez I wonder if maybe I AM his/her target. Sorry, but I'm just not buying that scene and it's STILL an incredibly lame way to kill off such a cool character, disrespectful even. And so instead of dying to further ANOTHER character's story, she dies to further EVERYONE'S story BUT her own. Yeah, not only does that not make the fridging any better, it makes it WORSE!

Common sense is built on observation, not supposition. If she thought this person came to confront her she wouldn't then ask "What are you doing here?" See how that doesn't make sense? The only reason you're not buying it is because you're making up what you believe she saw based on... (anything? feel free to provide some basis), and calling the scenario you made up something lame without acknowledging that the events you are critiquing is a scenario of your own construction, and then calling this common sense. Which is fine, I guess, if you just want to be upset about nothing. You know she was caught off guard, eventually in your grieving process, I hope you accept what that means. -shrug-

You think fridging is better when it's just for one person? That a death is more respectful when someone's death matters only to one person and less respectful when it changes the whole universe?

Okay, dude.

I get the idea of what you're getting at, you want a fighter to get killed in a fight. That's understandable. I think, creatively, they made the right choice. This was the only way her death could have been a surprise, the only way it could have been a gut wrenching punch. I'd take an exciting sucker punch over a boring fight any day.

Last edited:
On Thea being the killer, that would be atrocious for the character and silly if she was also the one who talked to Sara since it was a male voice. When Sara used the voice modifier in S2, she sounded female, so if they want to be consistent, then the killer should be a man, unless he just talked to Sara to distract her while his acolyte shot her. Anyway, the idea of your sister killing your ex-lover and the sister of your other former lover and friend would be too much, this is not Game of Thrones. And since Thea is Speedy, she's not supposed to be another psycho, they have plenty of those already.

I don't know, I swear that voice sounded a little feminine. Whatever.

And where is everyone getting this Thea becoming Speedy thing from? Is this just a "logical" assumption or has this been confirmed? Me personally I hope she doesn't. If the show has enough psychos the show definitely has enough archers (yeah, its called "Arrow" but still). We've got Ollie, Roy, Merlyn, Komodo, the upcoming Cupid chick (she uses arrows too, right?) I think Thea should definitely just be an original character or just "Thea who can fight really well now" (and possibly murder highly trained assassins).

Thea is going to be mia dearden from the comic as her middle name is Dearden and she will definately be Speedy one day

C. I'm still putting my money on Tommy's eventual revival.I seriously doubt they want to cheapen deaths to the extreme by having every character that died come back.One is probably the limit and it'll be Tommy.

Don't see it happening. Tommy doesn't really have anything to contribute.

I think Tommy'd be a pretty compelling villain for a the future.Barrowman won't be with the show forever.I can see them waiting a few seasons for people to forget they already did the friend-turned-enemy thing with Slade.But I'd say around season 5,they bring him in to replace Malcolm.After being an antagonist for a season or so,I can see him becoming a recurring "frienemy."

I feel like if you've been dead for over a year in real time, you should stay dead. I liked Tommy, but like someone already said, he wouldn't have much to contribute.

Tommy's death was the end and resolution of his character arc as a decent man and similarly heroic person to Oliver when it counted. He also served to make the reversal of Ollie and Malcolm more clear, and bookend Season One. In episode one, Arthur Queen sacrifices his life to preserve his son's chances of survival and gives him a mission of fixing his mistakes. In the season finale, Malcolm's mission leads to him effectively sacrificing his son for petty revenge. Tommy proved that he was a better man than his father, refusing to either stand with him or kill, and his disapproval and death define the difference between Ollie becoming a hero and just another fanatical archer with a mission.

So, his story was wrapped up when he died, whereas Sara's was retroactively reopened in Season Two's finale, then cut short for another character's arc in The Calm. And yeah, Tommy's death was better executed than Sara's.

Here's an idea for his Sara could have been killed so surprisingly; one person confronted her on the rooftop and distracted her while someone else shot her. Everyone who's caught an arrow was either in complete silence (Al-Owal) or looking directly at Ollie when he fired his arrow.

Maybe she just never trained to catch arrows. We have never seen her catch an arrow. Just because your as skilled as another person in martial art, maybe even better, doesn't mean you automatically can do anything they can do. Catching an arrow requires practice and training and unless you have ridiculous reflexes you are not going to catch an arrow without that training and practice. Canary deserted the LoA assassins after four years. We don't even know if she was really there all those four years either. How long was she on the run? Did the League train her from day one? Maybe she was kept as a prisoner for a few months first. Since she was being sent out on assassinations prior to leaving she obviously wasn't training full time the entire time she was there. She may have missed that particular class.

So, his story was wrapped up when he died, whereas Sara's was retroactively reopened in Season Two's finale, then cut short for another character's arc in The Calm. And yeah, Tommy's death was better executed than Sara's.

Here's an idea for his Sara could have been killed so surprisingly; one person confronted her on the rooftop and distracted her while someone else shot her. Everyone who's caught an arrow was either in complete silence (Al-Owal) or looking directly at Ollie when he fired his arrow.

Sara was off guard, she was surprised, and she said as much, it's just that simple. People who are off guard don't guard.

You bring up a good point that there may have been multiple people up on that roof. The person who threw her off guard with their mere presence may not be the triggerman.

I think Tommy'd be a pretty compelling villain for a the future.Barrowman won't be with the show forever.I can see them waiting a few seasons for people to forget they already did the friend-turned-enemy thing with Slade.But I'd say around season 5,they bring him in to replace Malcolm.After being an antagonist for a season or so,I can see him becoming a recurring "frienemy."

I could see after Malcolm again and Ra's (I can easily see Ra's being around next season too) them bringing back Slade for the fifth season.

Maybe she just never trained to catch arrows. We have never seen her catch an arrow. Just because your as skilled as another person in martial art, maybe even better, doesn't mean you automatically can do anything they can do. Catching an arrow requires practice and training and unless you have ridiculous reflexes you are not going to catch an arrow without that training and practice. Canary deserted the LoA assassins after four years. We don't even know if she was really there all those four years either. How long was she on the run? Did the League train her from day one? Maybe she was kept as a prisoner for a few months first. Since she was being sent out on assassinations prior to leaving she obviously wasn't training full time the entire time she was there. She may have missed that particular class.

You do realize that no-one in reality can actually catch an arrow, don't you?

But when people in this universe have equal (Ra's flunky) and lessor (Huntress) skills than Sara and can catch an arrow,it shows great misjudgment on the writers part to somehow keep that skill from her.

Tommy's death was the end and resolution of his character arc as a decent man and similarly heroic person to Oliver when it counted. He also served to make the reversal of Ollie and Malcolm more clear, and bookend Season One. In episode one, Arthur Queen sacrifices his life to preserve his son's chances of survival and gives him a mission of fixing his mistakes. In the season finale, Malcolm's mission leads to him effectively sacrificing his son for petty revenge. Tommy proved that he was a better man than his father, refusing to either stand with him or kill, and his disapproval and death define the difference between Ollie becoming a hero and just another fanatical archer with a mission.

That's the thing.Everyone who has died so far,had outlived their story potential.Just about everything that could be done with Moira had been and there was little reason for Tommy to stick around without turning heel.But Sara had such an interesting back story and so many interesting places to go in the future,it just comes off as a colossal waste of story potential.

So lesser-members of the LOA (ones who weren't dating the boss's daughter) and Huntress can do it, but BC cannot? And given her actions, it's clear that she'd had quite a bit of training. I find it hard to believe that after four years, THAT'S something that they didn't teach her, especially if Huntress (who lacks LOA training) can do it. It's sloppy writing. Sorry, not buying it.

I find it hard to believe that after four years, THAT'S something that they didn't teach her, especially if Huntress (who lacks LOA training) can do it. It's sloppy writing. Sorry, not buying it.

Again, we don't have all the facts, maybe two people were involved: the one that talked to Sara to distract her, while another shot her. But if you prefer jumping to conclusions, go ahead!! :o

Al Qwal was a high ranked member. I have no idea how Huntress got as skilled as she did. When she was introduced she was almost as good as Ollie though. Keep in mind that there are other ways to become that skilled without joining the LoA. Ollie and Slade haven't mentioned training with the LoA. Black Canary from the comics didn't train with them either yet Lady Shiva had her on her list of the top ten martial artist. She even raises her up higher on the list when she saw how brutal she was. For all we know Helena met Richard Dragon or something while on the road. He and Lady Shiva are considered the beat martial artist in the DCU and Shiva was only briefly affiliated with them and Richard Dragon never was.
[

Yeah, I am aware that in reality, unless the archer is using a bow with a very low tension it is impossible to catch an arrow. I've also considered that that might even be the case in Arrow as well. Ollie might be using a low tension bow because he's no longer aiming to kill. The fact that Laurel was able to use his bow despite the fact that she was considerably weaker than him and had only recently had started going to group meetings for s drug problem actually supports this theory. The person who shot Canary could have probably has a draw with twice the resistance.

Al Qwal was a high ranked member. I have no idea how Huntress got as skilled as she did. When she was introduced she was almost as good as Ollie though. Keep in mind that there are other ways to become that skilled without joining the LoA. Ollie and Slade haven't mentioned training with the LoA. Black Canary from the comics didn't train with them either yet Lady Shiva had her on her list of the top ten martial artist. She even raises her up higher on the list when she saw how brutal she was. For all we know Helena met Richard Dragon or something while on the road. He and Lady Shiva are considered the beat martial artist in the DCU and Shiva was only briefly affiliated with them and Richard Dragon never was.
[

Yeah, I am aware that in reality, unless the archer is using a bow with a very low tension it is impossible to catch an arrow. I've also considered that that might even be the case in Arrow as well. Ollie might be using a low tension bow because he's no longer aiming to kill. The fact that Laurel was able to use his bow despite the fact that she was considerably weaker than him and had only recently had started going to group meetings for s drug problem actually supports this theory. The person who shot Canary could have probably has a draw with twice the resistance.

Spoiler from the arrow tie in comics huntress went to train in europe..

I think that the Sara surprise conclusion is: We don't buy that many people could have surprised her so badly that she wouldn't defend herself.

So basically, now we just wait and see whether the writers impress us and prove us wrong with either a situation that could realistically surprise her or a second shooter or some other solid reason; or they **** up royally and we all get to whine all over again.

I personally like the theory that it was Oliver under Vertigo drug that killed Sara.

Would explain how she was off guard, but i dont see the rage at her death, she's the one character that's most easily resurrected via Lazarus Pits thanks to Nyssa.

If anyone thinks this show is not going beyond 5 seasons on the CW,you're sadly mistaken.

Yeah, I easily see Arrow going a few seasons past 5, and though it's a little early to say, I think Flash will have no trouble going the distance either.

I personally like the theory that it was Oliver under Vertigo drug that killed Sara.

Would explain how she was off guard, but i dont see the rage at her death, she's the one character that's most easily resurrected via Lazarus Pits thanks to Nyssa.

Doubt it. The killer was lucid enough to know her name.

If anyone thinks this show is not going beyond 5 seasons on the CW,you're sadly mistaken.

Agreed. I can see this show going beyond, though I say the only thing that can stop this show are the creators. This is the CW's most watched show. This ain't get cancelled.

I wonder what they'll do about the flashbacks if the go beyond season five.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"