Arrow Arrow Season 5 Episode 8: "Invasion"

Decided to binge all of the crossover together as a whole from Supergirl to Legends. To me, I felt Arrow's was the weakest and it was just an obligatory out-of-place detour that distracted the whole Alien Invasion plot in order to celebrate the 100th episode of Arrow.

They could have placed this a week later or at a different time.

I give it a 10/10.

Stephen Amell absolutely killed it as an Ollie torn between the life he always wanted and the life he has been handed - strong effort from the supporting cast too.

Also, the Ollie/Diggle/Thea/Sarah vs Dahrk, Deathstroke, Dstroke's goons, and Ghosts was one of the best fight sequences in the entire series.

This was probably one of the best episodes of Arrow to date - because rather than seeing Ollie wracked with guilt and burdened with responsibility we see him as a vulnerable guy who loved his parents and has lost everything a couple of times over.

Great episode and the crossover bits were fun too.

Sure, it ain't Shakespeare, but it's damn entertaining - everything a TV superhero show should be.

I get Oliver's, Sarah's, an even Thea's ideal fantasy world involving Laurel and their family still being alive, and having a normal live

but why would Dig fantasy be to be the Arrow?(I mean sure he at least got his brother back, but still) and why was Felicity there at all?

why wouldn't Ray's fantasy be about have his fiancée back?
Dig still feels the need for penance. This just gives him a way to use it.

For Ray, I'm guessing it was just using his brief relationship with Felicity and not needing to cast a different actress.

I know it was probably due to budget, time constraints and/or something else. But, where was the rest of Team Arrow (especially Ragman) during the rooftop fight? Also, at the end where are the other members of the team when they are having their little party?

I REALLY didn't care for how they used Thea during this crossover. What a waste.

I think the whole crossover wasn't timed that well. If they didn't have to celebrate the 100th episode of Arrow then the Arrow part of it would've been better.

They also timed it up with SG's mid-season finale, which also wasn't great timing since that was always going to focus more on addressing some of the plots that the show has been building up. If it hadn't have been the winter finale, then maybe SG would have tied into the crossover more as well.

Like how they had the heroes fighting the villains that had the biggest impact on their lives, another thing I liked was how Thea shot an Arrow towards Sara for her to catch, which I think was a reference to Thea killing Sara before by shooting her with an arrow, but this time it was to help her. Also, perhaps the reason Thea did not try to shoot Darhk with the arrow herself was because when Oliver did that before to protect Laurel from Darhk, he caught it and killed her with it, so she decided to give it to Sara instead.

Last edited:
I REALLY didn't care for how they used Thea during this crossover. What a waste.

I thought they treated her very well up until the end. On the Arrow episode, she was given a couple of really good scenes, as well as a deeper look into her reason to retire from being a hero. It was only the alien-aspect that brought her back.

But yes, after that...

The reason for her disappearing could have used some explanation other than just how she got back to Star City. If she had been wounded during the escape from the Dominator ship, then I can understand her suddenly being gone. Or if they had explained that maybe being shown a different reality that she desperately wanted to remain a part of, Thea decided she's had enough...

But that still makes it seem like she simply abandoned the others in the middle of a fight, which is not Speedy's style. I would rather she'd been injured and had no choice but to bow out.

If she had been injured though, she would have been healed on the wave rider. Diggle was injured but they took him to the medical bay on the ship for Gideon to treat. So there would be no reason not to treat Thea if she had been wounded. So they couldn't really use that, otherwise why treat Diggle?

I think it was basically that the episode probably had too many characters, so some had to be left out. From Arrow, Oliver, Diggle and Felicity were always going to make the cut over her. Not every character can make these crossovers. They are jam-packed enough as it is.

Reading various reviews, I'm glad that a lot of people enjoyed Laurel and agreed that this was the Laurel that we should've gotten from the beginning.

Excellent episode. Had just about everything I wanted to see in a 100th episode.

Call backs to dead characters, CHECK.
Sarah and Ray returning to their original home, CHECK.
Guest Heroes, CHECK.
Thea back in action as Speedy, CHECK.
Awesome fight scene between Heroes and Villains, CHECK.
Amell giving his all for a very emotional story, CHECK.

Only thing that was a bit off was the escape from the alien ship. Seem to easy.

Gets a solid 'A' from this viewer.

Excellent episode. Had just about everything I wanted to see in a 100th episode.

Call backs to dead characters, CHECK.
Sarah and Ray returning to their original home, CHECK.
Guest Heroes, CHECK.
Thea back in action as Speedy, CHECK.
Awesome fight scene between Heroes and Villains, CHECK.
Amell giving his all for a very emotional story, CHECK.

Only thing that was a bit off was the escape from the alien ship. Seem to easy.

Gets a solid 'A' from this viewer.

I definitely agree with your assessment. Good rundown of all the important parts of the episode. :)

Like how they had the heroes fighting the villains that had the biggest impact on their lives, another thing I liked was how Thea shot an Arrow towards Sara for her to catch, which I think was a reference to Thea killing Sara before by shooting her with an arrow, but this time it was to help her. Also, perhaps the reason Thea did not try to shoot Darhk with the arrow herself was because when Oliver did that before to protect Laurel from Darhk, he caught it and killed her with it, so she decided to give it to Sara instead.

Very insightful post. I like how you identify some of the major references and symbols regarding the heroes' clashes with their most bitter enemies in the dream world during the big fight scene. :)

The way the fight scene (which was very well-choreographed, by the way) set up the heroes to combat a villain who most affected their lives as a way of metaphorically battling and overcoming their personal demons was very cool, and it made logical sense:

Oliver vs. Deathstroke: Oliver fights the villain who was a former ally; who had a long history with him on the island before becoming consumed by hate and vengeance; who threatened everything he held dear; who murdered his mother in front of him; and who was arguably the villain who came closest to destroying all of Starling City. It's fitting that Slade would be Oliver's foe in this dream-centered conflict.

Thea vs. Merlyn: Thea fights an infamous villain who turned out to be her biological father. Their father-daughter rivalry runs deep, and Thea has been at the center of much of the harm caused by Merlyn. It only makes sense for her to fight and kill him in the dream world battle.

Sara vs. Damien Darhk: Sara fights and kills the man who murdered her sister. 'Nuff said.

Diggle vs. the two HIVE agents: Diggle first heard that HIVE had ordered his brother killed. Then he learned that HIVE had taken his brother alive. And then he learned that his brother had turned traitor and become a full-fledged member of HIVE. So this fight makes perfect sense since HIVE as an organization has been the source of so much of Diggle's pain and agony.

Ray vs. the two Mirakuru soldiers: The Mirakuru soldiers were the ones who killed Ray's fiancee. He and his fiancee were among the many people who fell victim to the super soldiers unleashed by Slade. That tragedy arguably set Ray on the path to where he is today.

All in all, it was a nice symbolic conflict for the heroes to defeat their personal demons, and the fighting was immensely well-choreographed.

Wow, nice comparisons @Slade W and @Guard82. Didn't even realize them when I watching the episode. I loved it, Amell really acted the hell outta this episode. Seeing Oliver and Thea with Oliver's parents was so nice. It was also great to see Laurel back even if it was for just one episode.

I teared up when Oliver left Laurel, it was such a good scene.

Arrow has been awesome so far this year. I hope they can keep this up for the rest of the season. :) :)

As an Arrow episode this was great. I admit I choked up when I saw Moira Queen. As someone else said, I didn't realize before how much I missed that character. And the final hugs with his parents, and the conversation with Thea about whether or not to go was really tough to watch. Arrow has lost its way the last 2 seasons, but this episode reminded me of everything I loved about the show. Despite the ups and downs, overall it's been a great ride.

I like this question. Very. Good. Question.

No Prize: The Dominators didn't want to set up entire independent psychic interrogation computers for all their prisoners, so let their subconscious work out a single acceptable collective dream. It ended up being primarily Ollie's dream, because his was the dominant mind.

I'm not a regular Arrow viewer im just watching it due to the Invasion crossover but then I crap my pants when I see..........WILD DOG?!!

As a long time DC reader I remember seeing ads for this clown's limited series in the 80's and thought to myself what a stupid costume, wearing a hockey mask (unless you're Jason Vorhees) and a cartoon dog on your shirt will surely gets ones ass beaten by criminals.

I mean I'm seriously out of the loop here, when did DC decide to bring back this numbnuts into continuity? and why?

I'm not a regular Arrow viewer im just watching it due to the Invasion crossover but then I crap my pants when I see..........WILD DOG?!!

As a long time DC reader I remember seeing ads for this clown's limited series in the 80's and thought to myself what a stupid costume, wearing a hockey mask (unless you're Jason Vorhees) and a cartoon dog on your shirt will surely gets ones ass beaten by criminals.

I mean I'm seriously out of the loop here, when did DC decide to bring back this numbnuts into continuity? and why?

The writers are better at writing origin stories for heroes and their journey towards joining the team. Once they have joined the team, they do not seem to know what to do with them (apart from Oliver and a few others). Wild Dog, like the other newbies, is on his journey to becoming a hero. Him being an obscure character means they have more license to do what they want with him too.

One little quibble about Thea. She had at first decided to stay behind when they were leaving the fantasy, but that would mean leaving Thea hooked up to an alien mind-device... After which the Doms would simply pull the plug on it after the others escaped... Leaving Thea a prisoner of the Dominators...:whatever:

Thea wasn't sure what was going on and wanted to stay in her perfect world as long as she could. Oliver wouldn't have left her hooked up.

They should've had Thea stay, Oliver disconnect her and have her break down about not being ready to say goodbye.

But it all went down way to quick. She wants to stay then 5 seconds letter "forget about it"

It would've been cool if they had Oliver go through with the wedding and have all the villains crash it. Then we could've gotten Sara/Laurel fighting side by side one last time.

One little quibble about Thea. She had at first decided to stay behind when they were leaving the fantasy, but that would mean leaving Thea hooked up to an alien mind-device... After which the Doms would simply pull the plug on it after the others escaped... Leaving Thea a prisoner of the Dominators...:whatever:

Arguably, she didn't know that, though.

This was the 100th episode. A great celebration of the series in the middle of the crossover. I thought it was excellent.

I am honestly glad they swung more towards the 100th episode arrow celebration as I found the Invasion storyline dull for the most part and as a result the Arrow episode was the best one in the arc for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"