Endgame Avengers: Endgame Box Office (Poll is for second film only)

I'mma say the only movie to beat a James Cameron movie... is another James Cameron movie.
This outdid one, another future MCU ensemble movie has potential to reach this height.

Should have released it on Christmas
And make it take longer for me to see both it and Far From Home? I don't want that.

I'mma say the only movie to beat a James Cameron movie... is another James Cameron movie.
I don't even think Avatar sequels can do it, but I'm not going to bet against James Cameron. I hope another MCU movie comes close in the future.

Sometimes I wonder if the studio went a step too far w/ their anti-spoiler campaign. I mean, casual moviegoers on social media and the like were so wary of ruining the film for others that they refrained from mentioning it altogether. As to whether or not that had a slightly adverse effect on WOM is anyone's guess.

So $29,4 mil US.
and $46,8 mil OS.

$2615 mil total WW.

Kinda meh. I was hoping for $2625 mil minimum.

$173 mil to go.

Will probably add another $9 mil from the US midweek and around $13 from OS.
Then $16-20 mil from the 5th US weekend and around $25 mil from OS.

So around $2680 mil WW by the end of next Sunday.

Then we got the Memorial Day weekend boost in the US after that. So there is hope.

Last edited:
That’s a decent hold across the board.
EG should pass (or get very close to) 800M dom after Memorial Day. At that point the gap with Avatar WW should be down to about 100M give or take.

Just for the record Infinity War made another 51M dom after Memorial Day. If EG keeps the pace, then passing Avatar is doable. But either way it’s going to be way too close for comfort. And if it happens it is going to be a very short lived record with the mandatory reissue Avatar is going to get once its sequel hits the screen.

Just for the record Infinity War made another 51M dom after Memorial Day. If EG keeps the pace, then passing Avatar is doable. But either way it’s going to be way too close for comfort. And if it happens it is going to be a very short lived record with the mandatory reissue Avatar is going to get once its sequel hits the screen.

Avatar had to get its total via several reissues though. Endgame did it in a cave! With a box of scraps!

Avatar had to get its total via several reissues though. Endgame did it in a cave! With a box of scraps!

Very true.

New projections based on the weekend numbers and taking into account the lack of extension in China. I basically projected for another 9 weeks not accounting for the small change it will make after that. Take that with a grain of salt because this is not an exact science (or not a science at all for that matter).

Domestic: 845M
+ Foreign: 1,920M
= Worldwide: 2,765M

So still missing Avatar's current WW total by 20M or so which is too big a gap for Disney to fudge it to #1WW (or even plan a re-release to get it there, most likely).

Last edited:
Very true.

New projections based on the weekend numbers and taking into account the lack of extension in China. I basically projected for another 9 weeks not accounting for the change it will make after that. Take that with a grain of salt because this is not an exact science (or not a science at all for that matter).

Domestic: 845M
+ Foreign: 1,920M
= Worldwide: 2,765M

So still missing Avatar's current WW total by 20M or so which is too big a gap for Disney to fudge it to #1WW (or even plan a re-release to get it there, most likely).
Unfortunately this seems like it will be close to the mark. :up:

Unfortunately this seems like it will be close to the mark. :up:

Honestly those are conservative projections. Slightly better holds could still be in the cards and help it match Avatar. In any case next weekend is a make or break situation. If it keeps matching IW dom that’s good news, if it gets a sub-50% week to week drop os without China, then everything is possible.

But at the moment it looks more like another IW vs TFA finish.

I don't even think Avatar sequels can do it, but I'm not going to bet against James Cameron. I hope another MCU movie comes close in the future.

Every James Cameron movie that is a sequel is even better both critically and financially. Aliens. T2. Why? He is a master at world building. Historically, his movies don’t have huge opening weekends, they defy box-office trends as his movies only increase in week to week and then remain steady for months on end. Avatar 2/3/4 will only build on his past records. Feige will need Cameron himself to direct a MCU film which is highly unlikely.

Endgame still has hope of matching/beating Avatar’s WW. In fact I wouldn’t put it past Disney to buy out theatres/add screens (like they seem to do with BP) with their own money simply to own the record.

I have Endgame pegged to make another $120-180 million at the most.

2.734-2.794 billion Final WW total falling short of Avatar’s WW/slightly edging Avatar

Still the greatest Comic book movie of all time. DC has zero chance of beating this barring a MCU VS. DCU movie of course

Last edited:
Why didn't Endgame get an extension in China? Every other Marvel movie got one and the demand on this one was certainly bigger.

A couple of things here. Not every successful movie at the CBO gets an extension, they do remain rare although 2018 saw a unusual amount of tentpoles get one (from Infinity War to Bumblebee). I could be wrong but I don’t remember Ant-Man and the Wasp or Captain Marvel getting one though.

Now, in any case, wether or not it received an extension AEG is about done there (and the lack of extension might have actually helped its numbers over the weekend) and would have at best made another 10 to 15M. Which is no big deal ... or is it ?

Additionally there is a trade war looming/strengthening between the US and China. Usually extensions are granted out of courtesy and mutual (financial) interest. I don’t think chinese officials feel the need to be extra courteous these days. AEG is already far and away the biggest foreign movie ever there, its the third highest grossing movie ever including local releases and the first foreign movie to ever cross the ¥4B mark. They probably think at this point that AEG made a big enough cultural impact in their country without giving it an extra 30 days.

And finally there’s a roaster of western movies coming out there in the next few weeks so older releases have to make room for new ones.

Last edited:
Avatar and The Force Awakens were released during the holiday season and the weekday tallies are usually higher than summer's weekday (mon to thu) tallies especiallyaround Christmas and New Years'Eve. Avatar's only real competition at that time was Sherlock Holmes. While for TFA, it took more than a month before another movie opened with 50 million dollars. Like someone said, everybody almost tried to watch it in the opening weekend and without the holidays, not a lot of people would have a spare time to go to the theaters for a repeat viewing or just to see what the hoopla is all about. I'd like to see Avatar 2 and the newest Star Wars film open in the summer season to know if it can hold better than Endgame.

Plus Infinity War didn't have a major competition during its third weekend and I even thought Pikachu would have been #1 simply because Pokemon is still popular but still Avengers was strong enough to outgross it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"