The Avengers Avengers run time

Dark Raven

It's not about what you deserve...
Reaction score
So what is the official run time of the Avengers?

Before, it was shown on UK cinema sites that it was 150 minutes which is 2 1/2 hours.

However, according to this news clip the word from Joss Whedon is that it's 2.15 hours

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/03/15/ign-weekly-wood-031512

That's 15 minutes shorter than expected. According to Whedon it was originally 3 hours but he managed to cut it down, and the longer version won't show up on DVD or Bluray.

So what is the official word?

^ Isn't that what I've already said though?

Action movies over 2 hours start to lose my attention. Hopefully it's not too much more than that.

I'd say 2:15 is the official word, since it came from Joss himself.

I think directors shouldn't keep cutting away or at least shouldn't be still cutting very close to release date. It's easy to get carried away with something and lose perspective. He needs some time away from the project to see how it runs before making a final decision on the run time. Sometimes when you look back on it, you might find it hasn't got much substance left if it's been edited to bits.

When I read about the New Zealand screenings I saw a run time of 145 minutes... But that was a screening so maybe it got cut down to 135 after that. I would have liked it to hit the 2.5 hour mark because I think Avengers warrants it, but I don't think it will hurt anything. Add a couple more minutes to the post-credits scene probably.

If Avengers has as good of story and character-driven moments as it does action(I believe that will be the case) I'd like to see them expand the time a little bit for future installments.

It would seem that the final cut is done and the actual film running length is 2 hrs and 15 minutes; there will probably be another 10 minutes (?) for credits and 1 minute max for after-credits scene.

Is there an after credits scene? I'm not sitting through 10 minutes of credits only to find there's nothing there at the end.

Is there an after credits scene? I'm not sitting through 10 minutes of credits only to find there's nothing there at the end.

There's always an after-credits scene. KF himself said that it's a MCU movie tradition now that will be continued.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there is going to be. Not sure what though, I heard rumors it would be in regards to IM3.

He needs some time away from the project to see how it runs before making a final decision on the run time. Sometimes when you look back on it, you might find it hasn't got much substance left if it's been edited to bits.

Whedon did this when he filmed MAAN after they finished filming Avengers. The final edit is done. 2hrs, 15 mintues.

I think 2 hrs and 15 minutes is fine. For some reason I had 2 hrs and 20 miniutes in my head as perfect (don't ask me why).

Most movies that are 2 1/2 hours or longer do tend to drag at some point.

I think directors shouldn't keep cutting away or at least shouldn't be still cutting very close to release date. It's easy to get carried away with something and lose perspective. He needs some time away from the project to see how it runs before making a final decision on the run time. Sometimes when you look back on it, you might find it hasn't got much substance left if it's been edited to bits.

...and that's exactly what he did. Whedon himself said he distanced himself from the film for a bit, and once he returned to editing, he cut it down to 2:15.

With credits that should come close to 2:30, maybe 2:25 or thereabouts

I think 2 hrs and 15 minutes is fine. For some reason I had 2 hrs and 20 miniutes in my head as perfect (don't ask me why).

Most movies that are 2 1/2 hours or longer do tend to drag at some point.
The previous Marvel movies were fine at being at or just under 2 hours but with the amount of stuff they are trying to put in this movie, it needs to be right where it is.

With credits that should come close to 2:30, maybe 2:25 or thereabouts

Usually when a film's run time is given, that usually includes the credits. So really the film is probably about 2 hours and 5 minutes.

I think we all just don't want a TIH, Daredevil, FF 1 and 2, and X-Men 3 situation here.

I remember how SHH reported the final run time for X-Men 3 was 2 and a half hours per a source at Fox. Then we found out the real runtime and got all angry. That was funny. Then Simon Kinberg talked about it on a movie forum and said Batman Begins was way too long!

Usually when a film's run time is given, that usually includes the credits. So really the film is probably about 2 hours and 5 minutes.

No, Joss was speaking on the runtime of the film itself he wasn't including the credits.

Joss was talking about his cut of the film. That's not an official run time

I almost hope they never show that 45 minutes Joss is cutting. I liked Incredible Hulk well enough until I saw what they cut out. It actually hurts to watch a few of those shorter scenes now knowing how much deeper, better and more complex the movie could and should have been.

It literally bothers me when watching Incredible Hulk. "IF ONLY THEY HAD..." I don't want that to happen with Avengers.

I almost hope they never show that 45 minutes Joss is cutting. I liked Incredible Hulk well enough until I saw what they cut out. It actually hurts to watch a few of those shorter scenes now knowing how much deeper, better and more complex the movie could and should have been.

It literally bothers me when watching Incredible Hulk. "IF ONLY THEY HAD..." I don't want that to happen with Avengers.
I think he said there are deleted scenes that would be on any Blu-Ray/DVD release. I don't mind them because most of the time the information they contain are included in other scenes still in the movie and are redundant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"