Avengers Score : Singular, Or Multiple Composer?

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by VenomVsSpidey, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

Okay, yes, Labor of Love did sound like LOST. But, really... so what?

LOST sounded great all around.

Let's get down to brass tacks here: The Avengers would be damn lucky to have him. :o

2. Elayis

Elayis Well-Known Member

Maybe. I don't know. It just irks me that all of his stuff is so samey. I really don't want to hear LOST in The Avengers.

My top choice that has been suggested is David Newman.

3. Fifthchild

Fifthchild Well-Known Member

I dont really agree with writing him off as being wrong for the genre based on what he did for the Batman films even if you didnt like the approach. Peronally once i accepted a more minimalistic approach to the score I really enjoyed it and it enhances the separation from the previous films which im sure was part of the idea. He does have other strings in his bow and a facility for melody as seen in the Pirates scores. Anyway i suppose it comes down to a matter of personal taste and we arent all going to agree on everything.

4. ddddeeee

ddddeeee Well-Known Member

Giacchino won't be doing it anyway. Thor was a May release and Doyle started on it in September, during which Giacchino will be working on Mission Impossible 4 and then John Carter straight after.

I don't think we're getting a big name for this.

5. ladyloki

ladyloki Well-Known Member

after just comming back from seeing x men first class.. I was not only blown away by the movie but the soundtrack was sick .... I said in a previous post that Desplat would be good but I would love to have Henry Jackman do avengers !!!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  6. Gunga Diner

Gunga Diner Solvin' cool mysteries

Henry Jackman would be crazy. I listen to his First Class score in my car all the time. :woot:

7. ladyloki

ladyloki Well-Known Member

I know I cant stop listening to it ... especially the track sub lift , its off the wall :yay:

8. Elevator Man

Elevator Man Well-Known Member

Not as boring as Zimmer.

I'm not a fan of Debney's music by any means. But to say his score is one of the reasons you hated IM2 b/c Djawadi's score (which is FAR from decent, imo) was better. Is laughable to me. No offense. Debney's score was weak b/c he had to follow the sound and tone that Djawadi used (which you hear in most action movie scores from (and not from)the MV/RC factory ) for IM. Djawadi's score was already weak and generic, imo. So instead of hiring a different composer to write a different score for the sequel. TPTB have him copy the same generic sound that the first film had, which is again in pretty much every popcorn movie blockbuster today. Djawadi's score for IM was probably the weakest thing about the film, imo. So to me that was a good thing he didn't come back for IM2. But why hire Debney if they wanted a Djawadi (or MV/RC type) score ? For that reason TPTB should've just kept Djawadi.

Back to The Avengers . Beltrami would be a good choice as well. I would love to see him get a project of this scale. Probably doubtful though.

9. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

Zimmer is boring?

:whatever:

10. Elevator Man

Yeah imo Zimmer and his MV/RC comrades are very boring when it comes to scoring action/ adventure/ popcorn movie blockbusters. Directors and producers have been loving this type of sound for 16 years and counting. The Avengers needs something new and groundbreaking. Zimmer and his buddiies won't bring that. It'll be more sound design and another huge noisefest. So hopefully they get a composer with real talent and want's to bring something new to the genre. Yes I know very doubtful.

11. ddddeeee

Nowadays? Yes. Except when he's working with Ron Howard.

12. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

Giacchino would do a good job. Just give him permission to go crazy. Just tell him to write the definitive superhero movie score of all time and he will deliver.

We've been jipped on comic book superhero movie scores too often.

13. Elayis

Elayis Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this guy's been mentioned yet, but he just popped into my head, and now I can't help but think that he would be perfect for this, and give him a big publicity push that he seems to be lacking.

Elliot Goldenthal. Loved his work on Heat and Final Fantasy. He's magnificent.

14. Krimasen

Krimasen Avenger 0

I think the score needs to be epic and sweeping, so I'd suggest Hans Zimmer, John Williams, or Steve Jablonsky.

15. The Watcher

The Watcher Otherwordly Witness

Giacchino is really a top choice. His works have been identifiable (as being composed by him), and yet separate and distinct in their sound. His themes mix a degree of epicness with drama and heart (Star Trek displayed this quite excellently), and action themes aren't at all 'out of his comfort zone' (MI3). Mystery and character themes have been explored with LOST, and Up was just a bundle of joy.

Considering Whedon's on the project - I don't recall a 'constant' composer in his past projects.

I think two collaborative composers would work well for the film, though.

16. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

I wouldn't mind Elfman, especially if he brings
    Some of "Hulk" insanity to the picture.

17. Krimasen

Krimasen Avenger 0

Elfman's a fine composer, but I think his works are largely better suited for darker fare. I've also enjoyed Giacchino's work very much especially in Lost, but I'm not sure he'd be up to the task.

18. ddddeeee

Elfman and Giacchino are completely booked for next year.

Silvestri doesn't seem to have any movies lined up at all.

19. Gamingboy

Gamingboy Well-Known Member

If it would be anything like how my head works when I read comics, then each character would have a theme:

The Hulk and Banner would have "The Lonely Man" (AKA the 80s theme music) as their theme (this actually isn't without precedent, since it was sampled in the 2008 score).

Iron Man and Stark would be, of course, an instrumental of Black Sabbath.

Captain America would have some sort of semi-over-the-top patriotic music, although I haven't heard the First Avenger score yet, so maybe that could take over.

etc. etc.

And I have the Avengers theme music in my head as almost a march that builds up until we have the musical equivalent of AVENGERS ASSEMBLE at which point it becomes all-out awesomeness.

20. The Watcher

The Watcher Otherwordly Witness

I'm particularly looking for a composer who's willing to take the themes of each character from the past movies and input them into the score. Perhaps put his/her own spin on the track, but at least incorporate that general tune.

21. tillyvick14

tillyvick14 Member

I will be very upset if each character does not have his individual theme incorporated into the film along with a sweeping new theme for the team as a whole. That will be a very tall order and I'm not sure how it will be accomplished but that's what I want as a fan.

22. MahvelBaby!

MahvelBaby! Well-Known Member

23. Krimasen

Krimasen Avenger 0

Whoever does ultimately take over scoring duties will have quite a task ahead of them.

24. Elevator Man

When you think epic and sweeping Zimmer and Jablonsky(excluding Williams) are the first to come to mind ? Wow. Generic and lackluster is what comes to mind (for me) when you mention those two names. Especially when it comes to this genre. Williams scoring this will only happen in a wet dream.

Marvel Studios needs to stay as far away as possible from Zimmer (shouldn't be too hard since he'll be busy scoring TDKR) and his MV/RC buddies. If not this will sound no different from Bay's Transformers, the Nolan Batman trilogy, and many other MV/RC action scores. The Avengers' score shouldn't sound like any of those scores.

The composer should write something that's appropriate for the Avengers and something that'll break ground. Especially since this is the first time something like this happen in the genre (with superheroes from other films joining forces for the greater good ). This is something that we thought that we would never see before IM. And now it's coming. The score should reflect that. Kind of like how STM hit the big screen and it being the first cbm it set the bar that many follow ( when it comes to this genre) to this day. Even the score set the bar. I hope the Avengers score (as well as the film) will set a bar for many scores of the genre to follow. So whoever gets the gig needs to bring his A-game and deliver something mind blowing and groundbreaking. But I seriously doubt that.

25. BatmanInc

BatmanInc Well-Known Member

Who do I want to score it? John Williams?

Do I think it's likely that he will? Not really. A 1/50 chance, at most.