The Avengers Avengers Score : Singular, Or Multiple Composer?

You serious? For me it's:
1. Avengers
2. Captain America
3. Thor
4. Iron Man
5. The Incredible Hulk
6. Iron Man 2
I'd agree with this. I loved Silvestri's theme for The Avengers. IM2 was definitely the least memorable soundtrack for me, considering the only things that stand out are not the score, but the AC/DC songs and the Another One Bites The Dust/It Takes Two/Robot Rock remix from the Tony/Rhodey fight.

Man, the Avengers theme is such an earworm. Can't get it out of my head. That and "Live to Rise."

I'm seriously hooked on silvestri's Avengers theme song right now. I've had it in my head for the past 3-4 days now. I'm so obsessed with it .... makes me want to see them all suit up and go to battle immediately.
I know what you mean! I fell in love with the song "A Promise" it's got a softer begining before breaking into the Avengers theme song. I've added it to my post about the Avengers movie being like a Marvel Annual issue.

Last edited:
I saw the film again a few days ago. The music stuck out in some scenes. Like the music he used for S.H.I.E.L.D.'s arrival to the base, and when Cap tells Hawkeye to suit up and the montage of the heroes preparing for battle, when IM flies back to Stark Tower and meets Loki, and the music during the finale. I have yet to purchase the Intrada cd or hear it seperate from the film. But I plan to.

Once again, I must say I love the theme of the Avengers, especially the motif.

Having listened to all the MCU scores, I'drate them like this:

1.The Incredilbe Hulk
2.Iron Man 2
3.Iron Man
4.Thor
5.Avengers
6.Cap

Silvestri's work really doesn't do it for me anymore.

I'm with you in terms of rating TIHs score - its probably the only part of the film I really liked. And yes Hulk had a definite theme/motif with that descending ocatve thing. Though I have also grown to quite like Thor's score, particularly the "Asgard" theme.

Havent really listened to Avengers or Cap outside the movie but i'm mostly with you on Silvestri. I'm probably being unfair (i really havent listened to much of his stuff) cant help but his only memorable moments sound like outtakes from Predator/BTTFuture. Couldn't help but think that the little anxiety/danger cue when Stark lands on his building to talk to Loki was heavily reminiscent of those scores for me. Still similar criticisms could be levelled at most if not all composers.

I dont rate either of the Iron Man scores at all.

I thought the movie was a homerun but it could have been a grand slam if it had a better score. Sorry, but I thought it was unremarkable and totally forgettable.

They should have used Michael Giacchino.

Gotta agree I think Giacchino would have been all over this. Though Silvestri arguably does fit The Avengers pulpy feel. Maybe my opinion will change with time but atm i feel the score could have been much better. The Avengers main theme is pretty decent though.

It was probably tracked with "Love," David Newman's cue from Serenity. I noticed Silvestri following the temp track again with "The Helicarrier," where you can hear clear influences of Henry Jackman's X-Men: First Class' theme.

Silvestri admits in the interview that all directors use temp tracks nowadays, and that if they're used correctly "they can be productive instruments" or if not, "they're instruments of death."

Thats interesting because that shot where we cut from Captain America to under the ocean and we then pan across to Stark is reminding me so much of the title cue from Serenity straight after "Where are you little girl?" I cant help but think that must have been the temp track.

I'm with you in terms of rating TIHs score - its probably the only part of the film I really liked. And yes Hulk had a definite theme/motif with that descending ocatve thing. Though I have also grown to quite like Thor's score, particularly the "Asgard" theme..

Armstrong made that movie. Any emotion there was in the script, he fleshed it out better than anyone working on TIH. It's a score I thoroughly enjoy.

Thor's score was bombastic, I really enjoyed it. Then again, Patrick Doyle wrote the best soundtrack of the Harry Potter franchise, imo.

Havent really listened to Avengers or Cap outside the movie but i'm mostly with you on Silvestri. I'm probably being unfair (i really havent listened to much of his stuff) cant help but his only memorable moments sound like outtakes from Predator/BTTFuture. Couldn't help but think that the little anxiety/danger cue when Stark lands on his building to talk to Loki was heavily reminiscent of those scores for me. Still similar criticisms could be levelled at most if not all composers.

I agree with that last sentence, but that's not my problem with Silvestri. He writes music than, imo, is completely uninspired and as generic as orchestral score music can get nowadays. I think his decline started with Van Helsing. The Avengers theme is cute, but what begins us something interesting, goes on to become boring to me. Although I rate it higher than Cap's score, I think he was a better fit there, due to the fact the movie was a period piece. But yeah... meh.

I dont rate either of the Iron Man scores at all.

As in, you don't like them? I think what hurt them was the incosistency in style and the lack of a distinguished theme. The same deal with the X-Men films. 4 films, 4 themes. Now, granted, I love EVERY single X-theme from those movies, which is really strange, and the IM films didn't manage to achieve this kind of quality. However, there are tracks int he 2nd IM score that are pure gold to me.

Come to think of it, I think I'm switching Thor for IM. Yeah:

1.TIH, 2.IM2, 3:Thor, 4.IM, 5.TA, 6.Cap

Silvestri wrote Back to the Future didn't he? That was really catchy and memorable. I wish the Avengers theme had something triumphant sounding like that.

The Avengers does. The actual Avengers itself theme is great i think. It's just the rest of the score is underwhelming.

When it's blaring out during that 360 tracking shot of the team... that's awesome.

Y'know, for all the complaints that the score is mediocre, that moment when the group gets together and The Avengers theme blares... glorious every time.

I think it's actually my favorite score of all the Marvel films, not that the scores are usually iconic are anything. My favorite tracks are Stark Goes Green, Helicarrier, Assemble, I Got a Ride, A Promise, and The Avengers. Hopefully they do pick up the slag in some places in future films, but for what it's worth I thoroughly enjoyed Silvestri's work here.

Last edited:
The Helicarrier score is one of the best film tracks ever created. In addition, its overlay with the Helicarrier scene creates a sense of wonder and majesty that had not been reached since the apatosaur reveal in Jurassic Park.

Yeah, the sense of wonder in both the footage and music really ties the feel of the scene together. It was one of those moments where I was watching the movie and felt like, "Whoa, I'm really watching something special."

IMO Thor and Cap have the two best themes. I liked TA's theme but i can never remember it.

The Avengers does. The actual Avengers itself theme is great i think. It's just the rest of the score is underwhelming.

When it's blaring out during that 360 tracking shot of the team... that's awesome.

I agree about that. I just love the theme. I wish it recurs more in the score.

IMO Thor and Cap have the two best themes. I liked TA's theme but i can never remember it.
lol gets worse the older you get too. lol

I'm the same way, I can't remember the music itself, but I DO have all the Scores on my puter at home and on an MP3 player, including the rock songs from each film

The first time I saw The Avengers, Silvestri's score didn't leave much of an impression on me. The second time I saw it the music in a few moments caught my attention. So after listening to the cd for the first time. I gotta say the score is growing on me. It's probably b/c the movie had a lot of memorable moments and left an impression therefore I'm able to recognise the music to what scene it's associated with. So the score while listening to it brings me back to the film, which most scores/soundtracks tend to do.

Though Silvestri's score is in the same vein as his GI Joe, A-team, and CA:TFA scores. I found his Avengers score to be better than those. I only wish they included the entire music from the "helicarrier attack sequence", b/c the music on the cd didn't even scratch the surface. The cd missed some good biys ,imo. I also found the cue "The Avengers" too short. I think it should've been 5 min long. As good as that track was it felt like it was over before it even started. Nothing groundbreaking or too impressive from Silvestri, but I still enjoyed it more than I thought I would thanks to the movie.

I thought the whole album was good and didn't drag (like GIJoe:ROC did, imo ) especially for a 76 minute cd. The Avengers theme (though at first felt like a theme that Silvestri didn't put a lot of thought in) was awesome and fits with what Whedon was going for.

Last night I was listening to a cue from Silvestri's The A-Team ("The Docks part 1") my brother happen to be listening and he asked me if the music was from "The Avengers". Then I was listening to a track from The Avengers ("Subjugation") and he thought it was from CA:TFA. That's my main problem (as well as fear when Silvestri was hired) with Silvestri today. Is that his recent action scores are interchangeable with eachother. You could switch scores and it wouldn't make much of a difference. I bet if I listened to GI Joe: ROC, A-team, CA:TFA, and The Avengers people would think it's one long action score from the same movie or franchise. Instead of it being from different scores from different action movies. Though I enjoy the score on cd. I can't help but be disappointed with how similar it is to his GI Joe and A -Team scores. The music in Avengers shouldn't sound like something out of an A-team or GI Joe movie, imo. At least with CA:TFA it had an excuse to be similar since it's in the same universe and a continuation. Tbh I knew Silvestri was going to go the GI Joe and A-team route with Avengers since both those and Avengers deals with a team of action heroes. It just would've been nice if he went out of his comfort zone and surprised us. I guess Joss and Marvel wanted a typical Silvestri action score and if so he delivered. Sorry to rant on just had to get this off my chest.

Last night I was listening to a cue from Silvestri's The A-Team ("The Docks part 1") my brother happen to be listening and he asked me if the music was from "The Avengers". Then I was listening to a track from The Avengers ("Subjugation") and he thought it was from CA:TFA. That's my main problem (as well as fear when Silvestri was hired) with Silvestri today. Is that his recent action scores are interchangeable with eachother. You could switch scores and it wouldn't make much of a difference. I bet if I listened to GI Joe: ROC, A-team, CA:TFA, and The Avengers people would think it's one long action score from the same movie or franchise. Instead of it being from different scores from different action movies. Though I enjoy the score on cd. I can't help but be disappointed with how similar it is to his GI Joe and A -Team scores. The music in Avengers shouldn't sound like something out of an A-team or GI Joe movie, imo. At least with CA:TFA it had an excuse to be similar since it's in the same universe and a continuation. Tbh I knew Silvestri was going to go the GI Joe and A-team route with Avengers since both those and Avengers deals with a team of action heroes. It just would've been nice if he went out of his comfort zone and surprised us. I guess Joss and Marvel wanted a typical Silvestri action score and if so he delivered. Sorry to rant on just had to get this off my chest.
I think you start seeing similar elements recur throughout a composer's body of work, especially if they have been working a while. I just take it as their signature style. Ultimately it's up to the director to decide if he wants something different and considering Joss signed off on it, then Joss must have liked what he heard.

I think you start seeing similar elements recur throughout a composer's body of work, especially if they have been working a while. I just take it as their signature style. Ultimately it's up to the director to decide if he wants something different and considering Joss signed off on it, then Joss must have liked what he heard.

Well I know that. Pretty much every composer has a signature sound where I can identify that it's such and such's score. Silvestri has been guilty of that before. My problem with Avengers and CA:TFA for that matter is that it sounded like leftovers of his GI Joe and A-team score. It doesn't even try to differentiate itself from those scores. Judging from the music it seems like Silvestri wasn't inspired by the Avengers or the other three scores I mentioned. You can literally switch the scores around the four movies and wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you could. Now sure TPTB might play a role in this and wanted a score in the vein of GI Joe but I don't want to think of GI Joe when listening to The Avengers. I want something fresh and unique from other action scores where I believe this is The Avengers. Instead it sounded like a sequel to GI Joe or A-team.

Well I know that. Pretty much every composer has a signature sound where I can identify that it's such and such's score. Silvestri has been guilty of that before. My problem with Avengers and CA:TFA for that matter is that it sounded like leftovers of his GI Joe and A-team score. It doesn't even try to differentiate itself from those scores. Judging from the music it seems like Silvestri wasn't inspired by the Avengers or the other three scores I mentioned. You can literally switch the scores around the four movies and wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you could. Now sure TPTB might play a role in this and wanted a score in the vein of GI Joe but I don't want to think of GI Joe when listening to The Avengers. I want something fresh and unique from other action scores where I believe this is The Avengers. Instead it sounded like a sequel to GI Joe or A-team.

Silvestri also did Back to the Future, which doesn't sound like the other scores. It's distinctive and iconic. I would've liked more elements of that in the Avengers, particularly for their main theme, with something rousing and triumphant in addition to the melodies we did get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"