• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Dark Knight Rises Batman 3: Where does the story go from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe DCRanger and a few others have mentioned it in other threads, but if Catwoman is in the film, her arc needs to represent the reverse arc of Harvey Dent. Have her start out as a villain. A vengeful thief who steals from the rich people of Gotham, and from the mob. Just like Dent, Selina is driven by revenge. Perhaps her sister was killed by the mob. Mirroring the hostage scene from TDK, Selina confronts her sister's killer, when Batman comes in and pleads with her not to kill him. She listens to him, and the killer is captured. By saving Selina, Batman is redeemed of not saving Dent, and Catwoman is redeemed, becoming The Narrows' Protector, like in the modern comics.

What do you think?

I like it, although I'm not a hundred percent on her just stealing random things. So far, Nolan has tied both A and B villains together in some way, so i suspect if Catwoman is in the picture she will be stealing something for the main villain. (Catwoman is a B level villain, so she would be working for someone or again tied in some way to the main threat.)

Batman will get a horrible case of B.O., causing Alfred to temporarily resign due to health reasons.

Not only will Robin be in the movie, but he will lay an egg, bringing up questions about his gender and means of reproduction.

The batmobile will lose a wheel, causing it to shoot out the bat-unicycle instead of the batpod.

The Joker will escape by carving a giant chelsea grin into the wall of his cell.
:joker: I almost didn't catch that! Brilliant!

I believe DCRanger and a few others have mentioned it in other threads, but if Catwoman is in the film, her arc needs to represent the reverse arc of Harvey Dent. Have her start out as a villain. A vengeful thief who steals from the rich people of Gotham, and from the mob. Just like Dent, Selina is driven by revenge. Perhaps her sister was killed by the mob. Mirroring the hostage scene from TDK, Selina confronts her sister's killer, when Batman comes in and pleads with her not to kill him. She listens to him, and the killer is captured. By saving Selina, Batman is redeemed of not saving Dent, and Catwoman is redeemed, becoming The Narrows' Protector, like in the modern comics.

What do you think?

I think that's how it should be, it's different from Tim Burton's take and it fits with the modern comics.

Gambol should return from the dead as Spawn (for the second time no less!!!).

I feel bitter sweet about this movie. At the end of BEGINS you had a clear interesting story to tell. At the end of TDK, there isn't a story that is juicy enough or interesting to tell. And you know they can't come close to topping TDK. Thematically, relevancy, or in terms of interesting characters (can't top the Joker, and it's obvious) ... I really don't know what story there is to tell with Batman 3 that isn't redundant and or interesting.

Really?
In my opinion, of course. Otherwise the script for this movie would have been enthusiastically banged out already, with a story everyone is ready, willing and excited to see.

This thread wouldn't even exist if there wasn't a definitive story that people want to see.

At the end of BEGINS you could see where the story was headed, and it was something people were anxious to see.

The Dark Knight has an end to it that is a perfect stamp on a great story. It's not a finite ending, but it leaves enough lee way to pick up with it, but otherwise I thought it was ending to the two meatiest stories of Batman to be told (from the Nolan perspective.) But the film doesn't play out in my mind and branch out to an interesting idea or concept.

So what? Does that mean that there are only two good stories about Batman out there?

Also, you forgot about the ending of TDK. Batman took the blame but we didnt see where that took him, what it means for Gotham and so on. If anything it leaves a lot more things open than a joker card (end of Begins).

So what? Does that mean that there are only two good stories about Batman out there?
No, I said the "meatiest" Batman stories. I don't think there is a story to tell capable of eclipsing either of the concepts of Nolan's first two movie's however. No story interesting enough to have me excited about the film. Only reason I would be excited for a 3rd film is because I know the talent is returning from arguably the two best comic book movies of all-time. That's only reason. There isn't a theme or story I'm dying to see.

Mr. Earle said:
Also, you forgot about the ending of TDK. Batman took the blame but we didnt see where that took him, what it means for Gotham and so on. If anything it leaves a lot more things open than a joker card (end of Begins).
No, I didn't forget the ending of TDK. I said it it's a very strong ending to Nolan's two part Batman story. It does leave a vague ending where you could pick up the story and make another movie, but thats the point ... the movie ending is so vague, it doesn't direct you instantly to a entertaining story to tell the way the "Joker Card" scene at the end of BEGINS directed the audience's imagination towards. In one scene it encompassed thematically where the next film would go, and left the audience salivating with the other most interesting character in the Batman mythos as the catalyst for the theme in the next movie.

Batman being on the run and "what it means for Gotham" isn't a story with the drawing power of what BEGINS leaves you with. (IMO)

I mean people are referencing obscure and quite possibly really lame Batman villains, and obscure Batman stories (Batman: PREY) as places to take the next sequel? It all lends itself to a bitter sweetness for me. I know I'm supposed to be excited for a Batman 3, but it's also kind of bitter because I don't see a drawing story to tell, and certainly not one that can match, let alone exceed BEGINS and certainly not The Dark Knight.

:doh:

In my opinion, of course. Otherwise the script for this movie would have been enthusiastically banged out already, with a story everyone is ready, willing and excited to see.

This thread wouldn't even exist if there wasn't a definitive story that people want to see.

At the end of BEGINS you could see where the story was headed, and it was something people were anxious to see.

The Dark Knight has an end to it that is a perfect stamp on a great story. It's not a finite ending, but it leaves enough lee way to pick up with it, but otherwise I thought it was ending to the two meatiest stories of Batman to be told (from the Nolan perspective.) But the film doesn't play out in my mind and branch out to an interesting idea or concept.

I understand what your your writing but having Batman restricted to his early origin story and the Joker and then have another directors take on it every decade or so is quite ridiculous.

Batman can have plenty of more stories. Just because TDK was an incredibly satisfying movie in a sense of a sequel it doesn't have to mean its the end of the story because the ending is indicative of the general premise of most Batman circular lore.

Restriction is never a good thing and I'm glad to say that Nolan has steered clear of that and fleshing out a great story and the finest adaptation he can imagine. Personal opinion of course.

I know I'm supposed to be excited for a Batman 3, but it's also kind of bitter because I don't see a drawing story to tell, and certainly not one that can match, let alone exceed BEGINS and certainly not The Dark Knight.

:doh:

This is like saying Nolan is creatively tapped and that Begins and TDK were the greatest Batman stories ever told.

Batman took the blame but we didnt see where that took him,
It took him up that incline he rode on the Batpod! :oldrazz:

But I'm not sure what Bubba is trying to say. That since he can't think of a story the guy that gets paid to won't be able to do so?

What is inherently different in Nolan's telling of the Batman mythos that makes you believe it can't eek out another worthwhile story, while there's been 70 years worth of worthwhile Batman stories?

Brilliant writers from Grant Morrison to Paul Dini are still pulling out fresh, exciting stories for Batman on a monthly basis. I'd put Nolan in that category of great Batman storytellers.

It does leave a vague ending where you could pick up the story and make another movie, but thats the point ... the movie ending is so vague, it doesn't direct you instantly to a entertaining story to tell the way the "Joker Card" scene at the end of BEGINS directed the audience's imagination towards. In one scene it encompassed thematically where the next film would go, and left the audience salivating with the other most interesting character in the Batman mythos as the catalyst for the theme in the next movie.

It didn't have to repeat that formula. It would become very old if Nolan automatically set up the next villain in some way at the climax of TDK.

Not to mention paint him in a corner again before fully fleshing out and realizing his story.

Batman being on the run and "what it means for Gotham" isn't a story with the drawing power of what BEGINS leaves you with. (IMO)

Which has been great for keeping it a mystery and wetting appetites. Think about it this way...

What did the last scene of Begins set up for TDK (outside of the Joker)?
The theme for TDK... Escalation.

What did the last scene of TDK set up for RISES (outside of Batman now being a fugitive)? Quite possibly the theme for RISES...

SACRIFICE. FAITH. something along those lines.

I mean people are referencing obscure and quite possibly really lame Batman villains, and obscure Batman stories (Batman: PREY) as places to take the next sequel?

Would you rather have Penguin simply because he's a household name? Or perhaps a stronger choice for an adversary, that isn't quite known, but has the potential to play into the theme of the film and really push the heroes buttons even more than Joker did?

It all lends itself to a bitter sweetness for me. I know I'm supposed to be excited for a Batman 3, but it's also kind of bitter because I don't see a drawing story to tell, and certainly not one that can match, let alone exceed BEGINS and certainly not The Dark Knight.

I can see a much grander and more moving story than TDK with an epic finish that doesn't continue on but closes out the journey for good. Bittersweet? Yes. Best Picture worthy? Damn straight. Nolan isn't going to repeat himself here. He's going for Oscar gold.

Seeing it as just another continuation does dull the senses and makes it feel like just more of the same with characters not quite as impactful as say Joker. But if you look at it another way as Nolan said. As a story with an end. Then THAT really ups the ante and makes those villain choices play into a much more powerful story and makes it meaningful.

This is like saying Nolan is creatively tapped and that Begins and TDK were the greatest Batman stories ever told.

I am not speaking for Christopher Nolan, I'm speaking for myself. Thus the "I know I'm" portion of what I said.

:huh:

Nolan may feel obligatory in making another Batman film. I do remember him speaking about the script saying his brother was struggling with it or something along those lines.

Creatively he might not be tapped, but for Batman he might be, I certainly don't think he can conjure up something on his own that is as inherently interesting as the two previous Batman stories he told.

Nolan may feel obligatory in making another Batman film. I do remember him speaking about the script saying his brother was struggling with it or something along those lines.

Yep, but they solved there problems...

were at a story impasse on the third Batman film (which is now picking up steam as well)

Creatively he might not be tapped, but for Batman he might be, I certainly don't think he can conjure up something on his own that is as inherently interesting as the two previous Batman stories he told.

I doubt it...

So what happens next?

“Without getting into specifics, the key thing that makes the third film a great possibility for us is that we want to finish our story,” he said. “And in viewing it as the finishing of a story rather than infinitely blowing up the balloon and expanding the story.”

Nolan said the key surviving characters from the two first films and the actors who play them will be back. “We have a great ensemble, that’s one of the attractions of doing another film, since we’ve been having a great time for years.”

Batman has been throwing punches in the pages of DC Comics since 1939 and as the decades passed, much of the core of the character stayed the same even as Bruce Wayne’s sideburns or the profile of the Batmobile changed. Not so with film.

“I’m very excited about the end of the film, the conclusion, and what we’ve done with the characters,” Nolan said.“My brother has come up with some pretty exciting stuff. Unlike the comics, these things don’t go on forever in film and viewing it as a story with an end is useful. Viewing it as an ending, that sets you very much on the right track about the appropriate conclusion and the essence of what tale we’re telling. And it harkens back to that priority of trying to find the reality in these fantastic stories. That’s what we do.”

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010...ht-with-superman-we-have-a-fantastic-story-1/

Last edited:
Nolan said the key surviving characters from the two first films and the actors who play them will be back./

When Nolan said before that he will use "many of the same characters" in the movie,in fact,it means that we will see some surviving characters from the two previous movies.
And many people are thinking that he will use some characters from the one of the previous franchises...
And if some surviving character from the two first film can be back...hummm
Could Ras Al Ghul have jumped from the train in Begins?
We should consider the possibility.:yay:

Good find there LungRocket, as is appropriate, the aforementioned poster has given me a good pun to be used as a metaphor for the Batman trilogy. Think of Nolan's tenure in the same vein as the life-cycle of a rocket. It has multiple stages once it's launched. We've had its two stages, now we'll have the stage three rocket!

I can't stand these 'creatively exhausted' opinions. Where one frankly is too cowardly to venture with a third film because to them, nothing can top the previous film. This isn't Nolan's modus operandi, it never has been. He's always exploring and charting new territory with his stories and their respective characters, this third film will be different. The flamboyance of the Joker will be gone and I think we will have a more Bruce Wayne/Batman centric piece. Which is what's needed. A more introspective film experience where the threat will be much greater and personal to both Wayne and Batman. The next villain will know about Bruce's alter-ego; which is why I think Talia al Ghul and/or Ra's al Ghul in addition to the Black Mask will be used.

I liked the second film even though I found problems with it. It didn't satisfy me the way the first film did even though it had some great moments in it. In a sense I am carrying a slight disappointment with the second film and it feels uneasy to me. I think a part of this state of mind is that I feel the story isn't finished and therefore I need to see the third film in order to be satisified with the film series.

For any poster that's unsure of a 'prompt' for the next film's premise/theme. Try this one: "He's the hero Gotham deserves but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight."

Bang! There you are. He'll be chased to the four corners of Gotham. His character, mettle and spirit will be tested to breaking-point. He doesn't do things to be perceived in a certain basking light but because he deems it to be the right and altruistic course of action. In doing so, this noble but maligned character will ascend to greatness and become a guardian who will be respected, revered and championed.

This video is a must-see: Rise of the Dark Knight

I'd a like a "now that's more like it Mr. Wayne"! :up:

Last edited:
No, I said the "meatiest" Batman stories. I don't think there is a story to tell capable of eclipsing either of the concepts of Nolan's first two movie's however. No story interesting enough to have me excited about the film. Only reason I would be excited for a 3rd film is because I know the talent is returning from arguably the two best comic book movies of all-time. That's only reason. There isn't a theme or story I'm dying to see.
Why, because it wont be the Joker again?
No, I didn't forget the ending of TDK. I said it it's a very strong ending to Nolan's two part Batman story. It does leave a vague ending where you could pick up the story and make another movie, but thats the point ... the movie ending is so vague, it doesn't direct you instantly to a entertaining story to tell the way the "Joker Card" scene at the end of BEGINS directed the audience's imagination towards. In one scene it encompassed thematically where the next film would go, and left the audience salivating with the other most interesting character in the Batman mythos as the catalyst for the theme in the next movie.

I never got that from Begins. The film didnt have a cliffhanger, nor did it mean that the sequel would be about the Joker. Nolan himself said that he wasnt sure that he'd use the Joker in TDK. It was just a way to show that batman villains are coming up.

And now you re not interested because there wasnt a set up for some other villain to entice you to watch the third one? Well Batman has a lot more villains than the Joker, and in my opinion TDK needs a proper ending. BB was airtight, but TDK's ending needs some elaborating.

I feel bitter sweet about this movie. At the end of BEGINS you had a clear interesting story to tell. At the end of TDK, there isn't a story that is juicy enough or interesting to tell. And you know they can't come close to topping TDK. Thematically, relevancy, or in terms of interesting characters (can't top the Joker, and it's obvious) ... I really don't know what story there is to tell with Batman 3 that isn't redundant and or interesting.

Don't under-estimate Tom Hardy and Chris Nolan. Hardy had a supporting role in Inception but pretty much stole the show from DiCaprio. Whatever character he is playing, I suspect he will knock it out of the park. IMHO, Hardy is a brilliant actor with just as much range as Heath Ledger. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Lets not get carried away here. Hardy did not steal the show in Inception. He acted very well, made a couple of jokes but that was it. Just because he was comic relief (and barely made any jokes to be honest) it doesnt mean that he stole the show.

Lets not get carried away here. Hardy did not steal the show in Inception. He acted very well, made a couple of jokes but that was it. Just because he was comic relief (and barely made any jokes to be honest) it doesnt mean that he stole the show.

I'm not talking about jokes. I'm talking about his acting, period. All the way around, the dude gave a stronger performance than anyone else in that movie.

I'm not talking about jokes. I'm talking about his acting, period. All the way around, the dude gave a stronger performance than anyone else in that movie.
I do not agree. I think this is exactly what happened with Ledger and Gyllenhaal. Fanboism taking over critical judgement. Hardy was in Inception and now Batman, therefore he is teh awesome and teh best actor ever. If anything i think Leo, Page and JGH were the best. Hardy's role wasnt that hard.

I mean no offense. I just think that Hardy is overrated around these parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"