The Dark Knight Rises Batman 3: Where does the story go from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

batman497

Civilian
Reaction score
I thought it would be good to set up a thread for ideas on the third movie. Story arcs, villain etc after you've seen the dark knight. Post your ideas and discuss.

I think this topic should be brought up in a few days once more folks have seen the film, can I suggest folks be respectful to others and not post spoilers if they are going to answer.

But to answer the question, I have no idea where the story can go from here, the story has enough closure to end the series here but has enough of an opening to warrant a third film. After seeing the movie, part of me doesn't want a third film at risk of falling into to dreaded 'bad film three' category, yet the other part wants to see if Nolan can go one better.

I have to agree with jmc that it's probably better to wait until Friday before responding to this, because it's hard to answer this question directly without spoiling things. However, I will say the movie leaves enough things open ended to where there are definitely a few directions they could go in with the third film.

I say the 3rd movie should start to show a larger shift from the primary criminals as being standard mafioso type mobsters to the dangerous sociopath "freak" criminals. The Dark Knight pretty much shows how the Joker has become a major figure in the Gotham criminal underworld, but there is still a certain mobster element that is prevalent. I think after the Dark Knight, you're going to have to see there is a definite change. The mob is no longer the power, now its the freaks.

I posted this on the Facebook Batman group:

I was debating how to top TDK with another film in the series, and I think I came up with a reasonably good way to do so (in my head at least):

Roman Sionis / Black Mask
Penguin
Ventriloquist

I believe these three adress both themes of duality and mob involvement that run through the films. I believe having a film that sort of shows the re-rise of the mob with the freaks at the helm would be great. Have the Ventriloquist as an underworld gang leader struggling for power of a Gotham in the state its in after the Joker's arc, with Black Mask as the "rival". The Penguin can serve simply as an arms dealer, wearing the front of the classy night club owner; he is simply the middle man supplying the goods (should be simplistic enough in Nolan's world for the character).

As for Ventriloquist, given Heath's performance I don't think having a crazed split personality seems too far out there, and given the appearance/character of other villains, what would be more pyschotic than the Joker than a mob-boss dummy?

On the other side, Roman Sionis can start off as an established business man who is in heavy competition with Wayne Enterprises, who is dealing dirty behind the scenes. Throw in some bad luck and whatnot, then he becomes Black Mask and goes all out against an up and coming Ventriloquist as well.

The story can once again take a harsh toll on the character of not only Batman, but Bruce Wayne and others. I'd also leave it off with Black Mask becomming a background character who isn't a major force after the film, but whose presence is still known and active within Gotham.

As for actors:

Ventriloquist: Robin Williams
Penguin: Bob Haskins
Roman Sionis/Black Mask: perhaps Hugo Weaving

I'd also love to see the Riddler and Catwoman as they are the only other two characters I feel can be showcased somehow as villains, but I wouldn't know how to go about working them into this plot idea I've concocted. All in all I'd save them for another time.

Riddler: Ralph Fiennes
Catwoman: No idea really, Rachel Weisz?

I would also add Leslie Thompkins as a character finally, to give us some Bruce background to add to the Black Mask arc.

What do you people think?

I posted this in the Batman - Villiian thread, but I'll post it up in here as well.

Now, I'm just typing this as I think, but here we go.

TDK ends with Batman as a fugitive. Meanwhile, Batman is still doing the whole superhero thing, just working even more in the shadows than before. I can't decide if he should still have secret meetings with Gordon.

So, the cops are looking for him and maybe the mob gets wind of this and they want in on the deal for immunity or getting out of jail time or something. A mob boss--could be made up for the purposes of TDK2 or could be one from the comics (Thorne, Penguin, etc)--could hire someone to find and kill Batman. This hired killer could either be Deadshot or Bane. Anyway, if the mob brings in Bane we could get an abridged storyline from Knightfall. Maybe not have Bane break Batman's back, maybe have him break his leg near the thigh or something. If it's Deadshot, have him shoot Batman in the leg. Whoever causes the damage and whatever the damage is has to get Batman out of the way for part of the movie.

While Batman is in a recovery state, things get even worse in Gotham. Batman is presumed dead and or captured by the police and public, but someone is running around pretending to be Batman. Gordon, wanting to investigate the new Batman, sets up a meeting with him (maybe with a new Batsignal). At the meeting, the fake Batman abducts Gordon. Turns out it was Two-Face (or it could be someone else if Two-Face is dead, which I don't believe) masquerading as Batman. So there is breaking news that Gordon has been kidnapped and Batman goes to save him, in a weak state.

I don't know, I just typed all that really fast, but I think it's one of the possibilities for TDK2.

They should further explore the 'fake' batman angle. They start to multiply, and perhaps one of them starts doing a pretty effective job, but more along the lines of seriously wounding or killing criminals
which goes further in turning the city against batman

Catwoman could be in it too so that
batman can start developing a relationship with her but is hesitant due to the death of Rachel
and because she is smitten with Batman, near the end she encounters the fake batman and he tries to kill her cause she's a criminal and the real Batman comes in and kicks his ass.

And maybe the guys name is Azrael.

I think that Black Mask should be in a third film, representing the 'Freaks' taking over the mob. Have him in competition with a normal mob boss, Maroni if he's still around? Rupert Thorne? Sofia Falcone? (I'd prefer Thorne).
I'd also have The Penguin trying to have a legitimate business front through the Iceberg longue, and possibly some other ventures. But have him selling mob secrets, and weapons to rival mob groups, double crossing both Black Mask and Thorne.
For this i'd show at the start Sionis' company being overtaken by Wayne Industries, and Roman killing his parents out of anger. Then Black Mask could also be a villain to Bruce Wayne rather than just Batman.
I know i haven't really thought about it a great deal, and there is alot missing but i think it could work as a part of the 3rd film. I'd also have another main villain, Two-Face/ Riddler/ Bane having their own storyline aswell. And maybe Catwoman as a love interest, new anti-hero?

Batman's innocence being proven in the eyes of Gotham's citizens. His redemption and him assuming the position he now has in the comics: The protector of Gotham WITHOUT being considered as public enemy no1 (at least not by the citizens).

I think that Black Mask should be in a third film, representing the 'Freaks' taking over the mob. Have him in competition with a normal mob boss, Maroni if he's still around? Rupert Thorne? Sofia Falcone? (I'd prefer Thorne).
I'd also have The Penguin trying to have a legitimate business front through the Iceberg longue, and possibly some other ventures. But have him selling mob secrets, and weapons to rival mob groups, double crossing both Black Mask and Thorne.
For this i'd show at the start Sionis' company being overtaken by Wayne Industries, and Roman killing his parents out of anger. Then Black Mask could also be a villain to Bruce Wayne rather than just Batman.
I know i haven't really thought about it a great deal, and there is alot missing but i think it could work as a part of the 3rd film. I'd also have another main villain, Two-Face/ Riddler/ Bane having their own storyline aswell. And maybe Catwoman as a love interest, new anti-hero?

I agree.

I'm really hoping for Bane as a secondary villain (like scare crow) and riddler as primary. riddler ends up, obsessive on who batman is, if hes a good guy or bad guy. He wears a green suit without a question mark (as much as this is trade mark i feel its to campy). The mayor hires him to try to stop batman and his "crimes" for murdering the people. however he has a different agenda, gaining access to all of city hall records, and starts black mailing people into doing bad things that he wants done, however there is almost no trace back to him, as bane is killing the people once they commit the act. and he leaves riddles with the people who died. He has a hate for gotham due to some tragic event, involving corrupt cops and his family.

The only problem is it would be hard to make this feel not campy. I feel leaving riddles behind in itself is campy. Bane is a serial killer, thats just massive of course. of course the first response is that he's the reason these people are doing all these bad things, but after they arrest him and they still happen, they start to gather that there all riddles etc.

All I know is I want the movie to end with batman being told that gotham is substantially safer.

really the ONLY way for batman to redeem himself is if harvey two face is still alive somehow

They introduce a character by the name of Reese. Mr. Reese = mysteries? Riddler?

At first I figured the Penguin would be a great villain for the series, but now after seeing TDK I don't want them to go back to regular mobster villains. Sure they can play a role, but as a primary villain....no. I feel TDK was also a way to set up the transition from mobsters to supervillains and madmen, and bringing the Black Mask or The Penguin into it wouldn't do it for me.

I want costumed freaks.

The Riddler does seem like a plausible choice as a new villain, and they even have a nice set-up. Obsessed with discovering the identity of the Batman, he targets Mr. Reese, getting info on his true identity. From there he can go about destroying his life piece by piece in the form of a game (similar to Matt Murdock's breakdown in "Born Again").

But when I think about it, I'd love for part 3 to include an all female villain cast. Now that his love interest is gone, he should be heartborken and more vunerable in my opinion. I'd like for them to include Catwoman with her "Batman: Year One" origin as maybe the primary one. Harlequinn wouldn't be bad either. Have her as a psychiatrist trying to diagnose the Joker while he's in Arkham, and then have her end up down his path of destruction and craze. Or instead, throw in Talia Al Ghul and Catwoman as the villains. That'd be great, if not ****ing hot.

But you know what I'd really like to see: Mr. Freeze done over. That'd be great. Or Bane would be nice. Matter of fact he'd be perfect. If they include him, they have to include the "Downfall" storyline.

If none of those ideas are used, I'd love for them to do "Dark Victory".

really the ONLY way for batman to redeem himself is if harvey two face is still alive somehow

Who says Batman redeems himself? Now the thugs of Gotham think that Batman is capable of killing them. That's a good thing. THe citizens of Gotham think he's capable of killing them. So they don't go out prancing around like Batman. That's a good thing.

I think it's all good.

There's no way Batman will redeem himself. In the eyes of Gotham citizens, he killed the most pure and incorruptible person in the city.

BATMAN III

Villains: Catwoman/Selina Kyle-Main antagonist (Tho she's not a villain, but an anti-hero, but what the hell, she can't kick Batman's ass as she licks his lips)
The Riddler-Supporting villain

PLOT
Contains spoilers
After the events in TDK Batman's now an outlaw vigilante and the Joker's crime empire was just the beginning of the nightmare, mob work has ceased but the streets are now owned by the so called "freaks". Harvey Dent is dead and the city's hope has died along him, even the rich ones from Gotham city have suffered the consecuences, a vicious cat-burglar known in the underworld as The Catwoman has turned the caped crusader's life upside down, not only for Batman but also to his own alter ego. After Rachel's death Bruce has decided to re start his life, by meeting a beautiful woman, called Selina Kyle at a party. The GCPD and Jim Gordon get their own problems when a mysterious cop killer called The Riddler leaves a riddle on the body of his victims so the police can stop the next murder

Catwoman-Marion Cotillard
The Riddler-David Tennant

I'm assuming who ever reads this thread saw this movie so if haven't don't read this post. Spoilers.

Batman didn't want Gotham City to know that Harvey Dent killed those people. That would ruin everything Harvey did before he was Two Face. Batman doesn't want to be redeemed IMO.

As for Batman 3. To me The Dark Knight was the Empire Strikes Back of the Batman franchise. Where can you go after Darth Vader tells Luke that he's his father? As in TDK where do you go in terms of villains after you see Heath Ledger's Joker. The man was the reason the city was in such bad shape. I don't know what they could do with the 3rd him but I have faith in Nolan to make it to the best of his abilities.

If you haven't seen TDK yet do not read my post!!!!!

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!!

So at the end of TDK, you have Batman taking the blame for the deaths of cops, mob bosses, and Harvey Dent himself. All the police force is after him. This movie is all about redemption.

No one can catch Batman, so the city goes a little crazy wanting justice and hires some outside help (The new DA perhaps does the hiring)

So, they hire a female assassin/great cat burglar...ie Catwoman.

Meanwhile, with the Joker behind bars, Millionaire Oswald Cobblepot takes the reigns. He wears tuxedo's everywhere he goes, and is given the moniker Penguin. He looks like the short stocky guy with a tophat from the comics. Also uses umbrellas as weapons. With all the mob money burned from TDK, he is the only one who can afford the luxury of being the boss. Other people want the title, so the Penguin starts killing mob bosses, and blames it on Batman.

Reese, (aka Mr. Reese, aka Mysteries?) knowing who Bruce Wayne is from TDK, goes a little crazy and starts dropping hints about who Batman is. Gotham doesn't believe him, and this makes him angry. (Also getting shot at in TDK doesn't help.) He sends a package to Wayne Manor with a riddle. The riddle leads to the television station getting blown up. Bruce keeps receiving riddles, and must stop the Riddler, Catwoman, and the Penguin.

Catwoman realizes Batman is trying to help, they make out, and she wants to feel redeemed for all the bad people that may have been good that she has assassinated. She then helps Batman solve a riddle that unintentionally backfires and kills the Riddler.

The final showdown is at a gala at the circus, Penguin kills the flying Graysons whose son (a young young young boy. Like 10 years old) is the only survivor.

It is revealed to Gotham that all this is happening to Batman, and they feel guilty for wanting his head on a platter. Batman wins, Penguin gets tossed in Arkam, you hear a voice (and it better sound just like Ledger) say, he got you too huh?). Bruce takes the young Dick Grayson under his wing, he asks Dick, why do we fall? He replies, "So we can learn to pick ourselves back up". Gotham loves its hero once again. Bruce feels redeemed.

Roll Credits. End of series. No more movies ever after this.

I want Penguin in there... even if it's a scarecrow type villain... i hate how these mobsters are just pawns... I get that's the way a lot of these mobster are portrayed but they should have more of a presence IMO. Penguin is a good villain for this. Riddler is also a good choice. But Penguin should have a small roll... for love interests... it HAS TO BE Selina Kyle.

Batman should move into an apartment with Green Arrow....then wacky hi-jinks ensue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"