BvS Batman casting thread for Man Of Steel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gokira2012

Civilian
Reaction score
Since Comic-Con’s reveal, lots of rumors are speculating about the next “Man of Steel” sequel to be “Batman vs. Superman.”

BatmanOnFilm has been working around the clock to get more details on this movie. And according to that site’s sources (stating it’s more than one and less than ten unnamed people), an older actor will be targeted to play the Dark Knight.

So it means that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is definitely out if this rumor is true.

And the site stated a few names, including Josh Duhamel, Jude Law, Gerard Butler, Josh Brolin, Jon Hamm, Brad Pitt, Ben Affleck and Jim Caviezel.

http://latino-review.com/2013/08/02/older-batman-batman-vs-superman/

Not to be a spazz, but this is now the 3rd casting thread in this subforum.

This rumor makes me really worried.

If true it just shows the lack of respect for almost 80 years of source material. Batman and Superman have always been around the same age. Bruce is usually depicted as slightly older, but never any more than 5 years.

To me this reeks of Warners trying to both bank an established hollywood star and also to loosely adapt the Dark Knight Returns more literally than we had previously been led to believe.

Of those names only Jon Hamm would be close to pulling it off. The rest are terrible choices. That said. Hamm is too old.

:doh: how any threads do we need, this is been discussed in several other threads

What this forum needs...is more Batman casting threads

Walken-Cowbell.jpg

So with today’s ComicCon announcement about the dark knight appearing along side the man of steel in the next big DC film, I've seen a lot of people elsewhere going epic crazy fan-casting who they want to don the cape and cowl.

A lot of that fan-casting though is, frankly, way off the mark and unlikely to happen. Because everyone and their mother seems to be making a few big mistakes. Like choosing an established name. Or casting way too old.

People like Jon Hamm or Ryan Gosling.

You want to know who’ll be the next caped crusader? Think younger, think unknown or barely known. Think Henry Cavill a year ago, think Christian Bale in 2004, think Tobey Maguire in 2000.

Also, think non-American born.

The next hero of the night is going to be someone between approximately 25 and 30, with maybe a few years lee-way on either end. He’s going to be someone with some experience under his belt, but not enough that people really know his name. And he’s not going to have been born in the US of A. How do I know this?

They’ve said before - I think it was Snyder and/or Goyer in an interview right after the film came out - that Man of Steel is the beginning of the new DC cinematic collective universe, and that Superman’s arrival on the scene is what inspires others to take on the mantle of being heroes. So take any thoughts of Batman being older, wiser, established, and throw them out the window. This Batman is going to be new to the scene and new to the job. Likewise, they won’t want either hero making the other look too old or too young. They’ll want them on even footing with each other.

At the same time they don’t want to upstage their new crown prince Superman. If they pick a “name" like Hamm or Gosling, it makes Cavill second-string. Because even with “Man of Steel" under his belt, he still doesn’t yet have that kind of instant recognition.

As for why the new guy will not be born in the US of A?

It’s a trend I’ve noticed.

The vast majority of superheroes aren’t played American born actors anymore. Likely because someone, somewhere, tested audiences and found that international audiences respond poorly to Americans playing heroes, but are more favorable to European or Australian’s playing them. Think about it. Wolverine, Batman, Superman, Thor, Spider-Man… all UK or Aussie. Sure, there are still some Americans playing heroes. RDJr's Iron Man, Captain America, whoever plays Hulk. But the trend has been going more and more towards non-American actors for these big tent-poles, and I doubt it'll change.

So… IMHO, what can can say about the next actor to play the Bat is...

• 25-30 years old
  • Likely not American born
  • Not a ‘name’ celebrity

Of course it did. :oldrazz:

I think that most just want him for the role because he has a role in Interstellar and they assume Nolan is casting the film even though we don't know how involved he will be in this sorta sequel to MOS.

And before somebody calls me out I'll acknowledge that some wanted him before he was cast in Interstellar.

Haha! :D

Oh right, I didn't know he'd been cast in Interstellar. I always think of him from the first Ghost Rider film.

So with today’s ComicCon announcement about the dark knight appearing along side the man of steel in the next big DC film, I've seen a lot of people elsewhere going epic crazy fan-casting who they want to don the cape and cowl.

A lot of that fan-casting though is, frankly, way off the mark and unlikely to happen. Because everyone and their mother seems to be making a few big mistakes. Like choosing an established name. Or casting way too old.

People like Jon Hamm or Ryan Gosling.

You want to know who’ll be the next caped crusader? Think younger, think unknown or barely known. Think Henry Cavill a year ago, think Christian Bale in 2004, think Tobey Maguire in 2000.

Also, think non-American born.

The next hero of the night is going to be someone between approximately 25 and 30, with maybe a few years lee-way on either end. He’s going to be someone with some experience under his belt, but not enough that people really know his name. And he’s not going to have been born in the US of A. How do I know this?

They’ve said before - I think it was Snyder and/or Goyer in an interview right after the film came out - that Man of Steel is the beginning of the new DC cinematic collective universe, and that Superman’s arrival on the scene is what inspires others to take on the mantle of being heroes. So take any thoughts of Batman being older, wiser, established, and throw them out the window. This Batman is going to be new to the scene and new to the job. Likewise, they won’t want either hero making the other look too old or too young. They’ll want them on even footing with each other.

At the same time they don’t want to upstage their new crown prince Superman. If they pick a “name" like Hamm or Gosling, it makes Cavill second-string. Because even with “Man of Steel" under his belt, he still doesn’t yet have that kind of instant recognition.

As for why the new guy will not be born in the US of A?

It’s a trend I’ve noticed.

The vast majority of superheroes aren’t played American born actors anymore. Likely because someone, somewhere, tested audiences and found that international audiences respond poorly to Americans playing heroes, but are more favorable to European or Australian’s playing them. Think about it. Wolverine, Batman, Superman, Thor, Spider-Man… all UK or Aussie. Sure, there are still some Americans playing heroes. RDJr's Iron Man, Captain America, whoever plays Hulk. But the trend has been going more and more towards non-American actors for these big tent-poles, and I doubt it'll change.

So… IMHO, what can can say about the next actor to play the Bat is...

• 25-30 years old
  • Likely not American born
  • Not a ‘name’ celebrity

They cast non-American born actors because of the tax breaks for filming abroad. If you shoot in Australia you get a tax-break if a large percentage of the cast is Aussie born. The same thing goes for England and Canada. Of course, you have the weigh the benefits versus the deficits of casting an A-Lister.

You also mentioned that they didn't want to upstage Superman, but the mere fact that Batman is in the film actually does that. You also said that Snyder and Goyer claimed that Superman/Man of Steel was the beginning of the DC Shared Universe, but Goyer also said in an interview that Christian Bale was still Batman to him. There is no law that says that you couldn't restart/reboot a franchise with the same actor reprising his role ("Fast and Furious 6" is proof of that).

This rumor makes me really worried.

If true it just shows the lack of respect for almost 80 years of source material. Batman and Superman have always been around the same age. Bruce is usually depicted as slightly older, but never any more than 5 years.

To me this reeks of Warners trying to both bank an established hollywood star and also to loosely adapt the Dark Knight Returns more literally than we had previously been led to believe.

Of those names only Jon Hamm would be close to pulling it off. The rest are terrible choices. That said. Hamm is too old.

I don't see a 5 year difference as being the same age... oh, and this thread should be merged into the casting thread.

Batman On Film reported this so i am calling BS on it

BUT if they do go with an Batman in his late 30s/early 40s i would like Karl Urban or Jon Hamm for the role

however, if WB is really serious about wanting to have a Justice League film and having whoever plays Batman in MOS 2 also headline the Batman reboot, then they would need to cast someone close to Cavill's age

Latino-Review mentioned some names. Now I know they mean absolutely nothing. I just wanted to give my .02 on each of them.

Josh Duhamel, eh. Maybe.
Jude Law, He's a favorite, but prolly not for Bats.
Gerard Butler, No thanks.
Josh Brolin, Yes.
Jon Hamm, idk. Sure, but doubtful anyway.
Brad Pitt, Nope.
Ben Affleck, Definitely Not.
and Jim Caviezel, Perhaps.

So Josh Brolin gets my support, followed somewhat distantly by Jim Caviezel. The rest I'd avoid.

Latino reviews list isnt theirs, they just copied Jetts .
And there is no official title for this film yet.
And I dont care what titles WB may have grabbed The copyright for .
That is just to cover their bases .
This movie has no title .

It's between Josh Brolin and Jon Hamm with maybe Christian Bale back in the loop. To me there's no other possibility. Not for a seasoned Batman.

Still think some younger guys might sneak through .
I also believe if they get in a pinch WB will turn to Bradley Cooper .

Still no casting announcement.
The Role of Batman is open, at the moment.

Hire me. I'll do it. :yay:

Bale must be getting a hundred calls a day. I hope he sticks to his guns. I love his Bruce/Batman, but the franchise needs a new face for the next cycle of films.

I still think 30 rather than 40 is the way to go. I just don't like the idea of a younger Superman possibly deferring to an older, wiser Batman. It should really be about Superman's hopefulness and optimism helping a younger Batman to focus his anger and resources in a more effective way.

Last edited:
Well, this Older Batman rumor has not led to any solid news, so a Batman in his 30s is still possible.

Bale is coming back.
I have no problem with Brolin playing a different Batman that has had Robin in his life already, with different possibilities for Gotham. But if they're going older, a part of me feels like "why not just go with Bale?". If theyre not planning solo movies, want a 40s actor who has been around as Batman long before Superman made his mark...then go with Bale.

But I guess there's some appeal to having a different Bats already at the start of the movie in his batcave, 15 years into being Batman.

I'd love Brolin to play Luthor. But Batman? I can't see it. I really hope that doesn't happen.

If Mickey Rourke didn't destroyed his face as years passed by , he would have been an amazing old Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Do we even know when this is gonna be announced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"