Batman Returns fans united

Returns is my favorite flick out of all the Batman movies. I love everything about this movie: Keaton, Pfeiffer, DeVito, the look and feel of the movie, and the score.

The SNES game kicked some serious ass too. That was my favorite game as kid, up until Mario Kart.

^ I think the atmousphere was slighty too gloomy to be honest, but i agree on the score and the casting, they were both perfect.

That sequence between catwoman and penguin is an all time classic

"Penquin theres "some body" here to see you"

"just the ***** ive been waiting for"

BATMAN RETURNS IS AN AMAZING FILM

That's excellnt one ^

Penguin: "You'll never invited me so I crashed"

Maybe it isn't good as yours DD.

Penguin had great lines in the movie.

"They wouldn't put me on a pedestal. So, I'm laying them on a slab"

"You're just jealous because I'm a genuine freak, and you have to wear a mask"

"You lousy minx. I ought to have you spayed. You sent out all the signals!!! And I don't think I like you anymore"

^ I think the atmousphere was slighty too gloomy to be honest, but i agree on the score and the casting, they were both perfect.

I love the atmosphere, it's dark but fun. It's like Dr Caligari told by Dr Seuss.

I love all those german expressionism's nods given by Burton, Max Shreck (the actor who played Nosferatus), Fritz Lang (Dr. Caligari on Penguin's make up and Metropolis on his take on Gotham).

He also used biblical references like Moses and "the baby in the basket" episode.

And even David Lynch's The Elephant Man when the Penguin said that "I'm not a man, I'm an animal", the exact opposite of what John Merrick (The Elephant Man) said.

There are other references but that's what I can remember from the top of my head right now.

All this, and the way how he linked the Bat, the Cat and the Penguin, making a rich, tragic, touchy but however sad film, makes me think this movie as being the best of the whole bunch. I keep oscilating among this one, Batman 89' and BB as my favorite, I can't really decide, because it depends on how I'm feeling on that given moment, depends on the mood, so sometimes BR is my favorite.

Like now. :yay:

I love Batman Returns.Danny Devito Is a great Penguin.Michelle Pheiffer IS
Just fantastic and sexy as Catwoman(and I love she Is more or less played as a Dominatrix and the overtunes between her and Batman I can't get enough) and Michael Keaton Is even better as Batman the second time(however the weakness of his portal Is he never got to be the public Bruce Wayne) It IS darker than Batman and I have always felt more action packed than Batman as well.I consider Batman,Batman Returns,and Batman Forever as a trilogy.Batman started the story,Batman Returns contuned It(and was the best of the three) and Batman Forever ended It(of course I wish Tim Burton would have been allowed to do the finishing.If you see the Special features on Batman Returns DVD It shows that he wanted to direct another
Batman but Warner Brothers didn't)

BR is one of my all time favourite movies, I watched it A LOT and yet there are some things that I don't like/understand.
Doesn't it look stupid when Batman defeats an entire gang of deadly circus freaks but then he can't handle Catwoman (who yesterday was just an secretary)?
When Batman fights Penguin who without a problem gets from him remote controller, ignites rockets on pengiun's back and suddently... the bats come from Batboat and attacks him? It looked cool but was really forced and cheap IMO. What do you think about it?

Catwoman is a better fighter than the Circus Gang.

BR is one of my all time favourite movies, I watched it A LOT and yet there are some things that I don't like/understand.
Doesn't it look stupid when Batman defeats an entire gang of deadly circus freaks but then he can't handle Catwoman (who yesterday was just an secretary)?

Catwoman is better fighter than the Circus thugs. When she was revived by the cats, she inherited their traits, including their nimble cat like reflexes, and of course, the nine lives thing.

When Batman fights Penguin who without a problem gets from him remote controller, ignites rockets on pengiun's back and suddently... the bats come from Batboat and attacks him? It looked cool but was really forced and cheap IMO. What do you think about it?

Didn't look forced and cheap to me. It looked really cool. Especially when the rockets start destroying the old zoo. It's sad to think all the little penguins probably died in that destruction.

I agree that the Batman Returns video game was great. I still have my copy for the SNES (which I play often).

I still think B89 is the better of the two, but I've come to appreciate BR a lot more as I've gotten older.
Some personal favorites:
The introduction of Batman: One of the fewer sequels that has a better intro for the hero than the original. You can't beat a huge bat-signal being reflected into the mansion and Keaton standing up and coming to life.
Catwoman: Looked and sounded awesome. Michelle Pfieffer clearly put her all into the role, and good for her. :up:
Batman/Penguin arc: Batman takes down Penguin's thugs but can't prove Penguin's directly responsible. Penguin responds by framing Batman for murder and taking control of the car. Batman then hits him where it hurts the most: right in the self-esteem. Penguin, already clearly struggling with abandonment issues, gets his whole psyche put on display and the people of Gotham chase him back to the sewers. But Batman's not done. He thunders towards the old zoo in his Batboat while his theme music thunders around him. And this time, he crashes the vehicle but he doesn't miss the bad guy. And he gets Penguin in the same way Penguin got the ice princess. Poetic justice, b---h! And he nukes the old zoo with Penguin's very own arsenal. You just don't mess with Bats.
Max Shrek: Christopher Walken = automatic win. Every time. And what a final comeuppance!
True, not every loose end was tied up to my complete satisfaction (Batman never proven innocent, unmasking in front of Shrek), but this was a great movie nevertheless. Props to Burton for having the guts to stick to his vision.

I remember first seeing Returns in the theatre back in the summer of '92 -- and coming away from it somewhat confused at what I just saw.

It surely wasn't the big bang up sequel I was expecting to the blockbutser original.

But as years gone by and the chance to revisit it on DVD (when the special editions came out in '05), I've learned to appreciate it much more.

Its verty gothic and I love how Burton emphasizes each of the characters somewhat not-so-normal tendencies.

Its a great movie.

Did anyone ever notice on the full screen edition of the film that if you look between batman and the penguin right when Catwoman is doing backflips toward them after she blows up shrecks, there is a catwoman double or something between them kneeling there. It's only on the full screen version for some reason.

I noticed it was kinda corrected for the special edition.

I don't misunderstand BATMAN RETURNS at all - I fully understand a lot of the stuff Burton put in there, and the artistry that went into it. But I don't believe it turns out a coherent film, or that it is really a great "Batman" film.

I think a lot of people get hung up on Burton's visual style and storytelling approach, and acting like all of that swaps out elements of Batman as a character, instead of seeing it as additions made to the character. Batman is still very much Batman, right down to the first shot of him in the study, and it's not until the Bat Signal shines through his window that he actually feels alive.

As for changing the villains. Catwoman doesn't really have what we'd call a classic origin, and I think the most important aspect of her character is her interaction with Batman, and I think the film understood that. She's always been that character who challenged Batman and the film did a great job illustrating that.

cap420.jpg

I loved this moment, too--it was like somebody cut and pasted from DKR. :up:

Did anyone ever notice on the full screen edition of the film that if you look between batman and the penguin right when Catwoman is doing backflips toward them after she blows up shrecks, there is a catwoman double or something between them kneeling there. It's only on the full screen version for some reason.

Burton likes to shoot in 1.85:1 aspect ratio. On most of those, they're filmed in fullscreen and the director adds the black bars in post-production. Hence, the widescreen version just removes the matte bars that Burton put on to get the look he wanted. That's why it can sometimes reveal errors, because those portions of the picture are not meant to be seen. Terminator 2: Judgement Day was also, I believe, shot like this. Fullscreen and framed to 2.35:1 in post.

Hey, I gotta say, I LOVE Batman Returns. It was one of Burton's BEST! It's a fun movie to watch; especially Danny DiVito's Penquin! While I like this movie, it is not by any means a GREAT Batman movie, but it is a GREAT Burton Movie. I can remember going to see this movie in theatres (I would have been 10, almost 11) and I can remember my mother not wanting me to see the movie, because it was suppose to be more violent and she heard Batman killed people (which he did). The movie was visually stunning, and the story line was great.
I read a review for Batman Returns on Jett's Batman on film and someone said that Batman and Max Shreck sort of mirror the opposite of one another. You can see how Bruce Wayne could have become a "Max Schreck" type character, or been an "outcast" like the Penquin, or a vigilante, ala the Catwomen. You have all of those great parrallels and psychology wrapped in a "big bow" for our enjoyment! I just remember everyone in my family was like, "Who is playing the Penquin??" I believe the film was ahead of its time and cudos to Mr. Burton for giving us a sequal, that IMHO was just as good as the original!

it was alright...it would have been much better though if they had let Burton do what he wanted to with it (Harvey Dent instead of Max Shreck, non mutant Penguin, introduction of Robin, etc...)...this was really the WB's first step in destroying the Bat-Franchise

HE WAS GONNA WHAT?!?!?! **** WB man. Billy Dee would have been friggin excellent. But I like the BR version of penguin so much more than in the comics. Guess I'm just a fan of the tragedy.

Burton wanted to waste Robin by making him a mechanic in a 10-second cameo. I'm glad Warners stopped him. Also, the 'mutant Penguin' idea was all Burton's, it was Warners who forced him to make the character resemble the classic version by having him dress up like a 1930's aristocrat (note on the Batman Returns DVD/video cover, the Penguin looks far more like the classic Penguin than he ever does in the movie).

Again, DAMN I WISH THEY WOULD HAVE LET HIM HAVE HIS WAY.:woot:

From UGO:

This is the one Batman film that came close to the tone of the comic book, and Bob Kane's original character creation, for that matter. Understand this, once and for all: Bruce Wayne is a PSYCHOTIC. He witnessed his PARENTS' MURDER. He dresses up as a BAT. He is not a healthy man. The truly well-done Batman stories are dark, gothic, despairing and nihilistic nightmare yarns, in which mentally ill characters, both good and evil, go to vaudevillian extremes to express their psychoses. They become tragic clowns, all of them, and Tim Burton understood this. This is the Batman movie he wanted to make, with little to no studio interference. This is as close as it's going to get, folks. Cherish it, or you can't call yourself a Batman fan. The only reason this unpleasant, ghoulish film had to pull some of its punches to get a friendly rating is because it's the sequel to the inferior (though still solid) original, which made a kazillion dollars.

I agree. If you really look at Bill Finger and Bob Kane's original concept The Batman was dark, even killed. That is why I like Batman 89 and Batman Returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"