The Dark Knight Batman's artificially modulated voice: DVD option to turn it off

I really dont see why anyone would want to turn it off. I personally love bale's voice the best out of all the batmans done so far (yes even Konroy). After hearing Konroy as Batman it doesnt sound nearly as intimidating as Bale. I guess Ive grown very accustomed to Bale's voice

I really dont see why anyone would want to turn it off. I personally love bale's voice the best out of all the batmans done so far (yes even Konroy). After hearing Konroy as Batman it doesnt sound nearly as intimidating as Bale. I guess Ive grown very accustomed to Bale's voice

Konroy? Come on.

Hello Beautiful said:
Oh, OK. There really wasn't meant to be one though. :yay:

Kay :cwink:

I believe he was referencing your misspelling of Kevin Conroy's name. Which is a sacrilege in the bat community's eyes. :o

I've never read or heard about that. Got a link? :huh:

Are you referring to my post about framerate? Well, I don't really have a link, but I am an editor, and this is something you learn after a while. Several composers are horrified at how their music sounds a bit slower and "off" in theatres as apposed to how they are used to hearing it. Now, I'm in Europe, and I can't really speak for how this works in the states (seeing as there are different framerates to begin with, differing between NTSC and PAL-formats).

I believe he was referencing your misspelling of Kevin Conroy's name. Which is a sacrilege in the bat community's eyes. :o
Oh was that what he was referring to? I guess Im sorry for that IATK :cwink:

Are you referring to my post about framerate? Well, I don't really have a link, but I am an editor, and this is something you learn after a while. Several composers are horrified at how their music sounds a bit slower and "off" in theatres as apposed to how they are used to hearing it. Now, I'm in Europe, and I can't really speak for how this works in the states (seeing as there are different framerates to begin with, differing between NTSC and PAL-formats).

So you're saying the voice would sound lower and deeper in the the theater?

This poll is so ******ed. What if we had an option on the DVD to have Hammil replace Ledger's voice? This poll is an insult to Bale, especially after he gave you guys the best live action depiction of Batman...ever. :huh:

I'd be curious to see how different it is--perhaps something in the featurettes?

Otherwise, I'd rather they stuff the DVD with some sweet special features then something like that. :woot:

Conroy is still the best, who managed an intimidating, alternate voice without coming off sounding like he was trying to hard...which is exactly Bale's problem. For all the good he does, he tries to hard to make Batman's voice sound "cool" and "gruff". Slightly inflecting his voice would have way more of an impact. His voice, as it stands is good. Look at Two-Face. Aaron Eckhart used two voices for his better and worse half, yet both voices managed to be similar without sounding the same at all. "No, you're not...not yet" is said in a much darker tone than "what'd you guys used to call me down at MCU", even though it's coming from the same character.

Batman sounds constipated, and what's worse, it hurts the delivery of lines like the speech he gives to Joker at the end. Not everything has to be shouted at the camera, and honestly, an actor as good as Bale should know that.

So you're saying the voice would sound lower and deeper in the the theater?

Basically, yeah, all sound as a matter of fact, but this varies from theatre to theatre, so it's all very random, really.

I would prefer Batman's voice to be kept modulated, though I would like to know how it sounds like when it turns off. Hmm, I opt for options. You can choose either one, and no one has to complain :)

Exactly right. Yahoo was running on their homepage for a few days the story of "Batman's voice too much?". On their homepage, big, smack right in the middle in bigger font above other news around the world. LOL

Media outlets are aware that Batman is the big story right now so they will do anything, including this type of exaggeration to get people to click and read their "story".

Same.
Easy traffic for their little websites.

Couldn't bale just have a deeper or quieter tone when talking. I'd be much happier suspending belief that bruce wayne and batman don't sound the same.

also eckhart managed to do a great distinguish between harvey and two face without sounding like a nun taking a dump, so why does batman need all the gimmicks.

Harvey Dent isn't trying to hide another identity...

I'd like that as a special feature on the DVD!

SPECIAL FEATURES

*Commentary with Director Christopher Nolan (Yeah right, might as well ask for a commentary track with Heath Ledger)
*Batman's artificially modulated voice ON/OFF

Now imagine this piece of dialogue....

"THIS CITAYYY....JUST SHOWED YOUUUU...THAT IT'S FULL OF PEOPLE...READY TO BELIEVE IN GOOOOOOOOOOD"

...Spoken in a non unintentionally funny way!

He was out of breath and just took a beating. His voice sounded hoarse... How exactly do you expect him to sound?

Voice is perfect.

I'd only hope Rorschach's was more like that. It's not low and menacing enough in the trailer.

I think Bale's voice really makes his Batman stand out among all the other actors who have portrayed the Bat. The more he talks the more hokey it gets, but Batman really doesn't talk that much. I've grown to like it. I know some of my friends don't like it. I had one friend who didn't understand why he used his "bat-voice" when he talked to Lucius, who obviously knows he's Batman. I explained that when Bruce puts on the suit he becomes a different person. It would kind of sound funny to hear Bale's regular voice in the suit and it would take away from Batman IMO. But my friend just shrugged "Whatever".

Personally I think Kilmer had the best Bat-voice. His was like Bale but a little less growly.

And on the whole subject of TDK, I'm sick and tired of all these noobs who seen the movie and think they're Batman experts now. All these idiots running around spewing Joker quotes (quoting them wrong btw) declaring themselves "experts" yet when I'd mention if they took part of the viral marketing they look at me like I'm speaking Korean.

"What verbal marketing?"
Ugh.

LOL. You and me both.

I saw a YouTube tribute video to Caesar Romero photoslide show with clips from Adam West's show, and some guy had the impression that the person who uploaded the video was in the pictures, not from the television show (I assume he's never even heard of it) and told him his make up sucks and he's not close to Heath's.

I just said Good Lord help us.

The only time I can understand people disliking the voice is at the end...but the dude is out of breath and then gets shot and before that beaten with a crowbar. Gotta expect him to have trouble talking by that point.

Exactly. Especially if Bruce is trying to maintain his disguised Batman voice all at the same time.

Not unintentionally funny?

Didn't get that impression. He sounded a bit weird the first time I heard it [in TDK] but I didn't find it [unintentionally] funny in that sense. It was the lisp I guess.

"THIS CITAYYY....JUST SHOWED YOUUUU...THAT IT'S FULL OF PEOPLE...READY TO BELIEVE IN GOOOOOOOOOOD"

...Spoken in a non unintentionally funny way!
I downloaded the movie over the internet and watched this scene carefully many times. You are overdoing this. He just said good. In any case he wants to be theatrical, beastlike and intimidating.

Now, about this thread in general, you know, sometimes Bale's voice was too raspy as if he had a cold, but most of the time it was spot on. I grew up with Kevin Conroy's voice, but now, after "where were the other drugs going", "where are they" (joker interrogation), etc, i just couldnt go back to Conroy's more normal voice. During Gotham Knight i felt the need for a more threatening voice. Conroy's voice is great and i will always cherish his work and the BTAS series, but i think that Bale changed things, forever. There is no going back :-)grin:). Batman should have a voice as menacing as his. Perhaps there is someone out there who can do a better job at it, but Bale is the goddamn Batman even if his Batman voice isnt 100% perfect.

I give him a 9/10 score and i urge you not to be so nitpicky.

And one more thing, i remember a great episode from JL animated when the League splits and each one tries to work on his own again. I remember Flass trying to interrogate a thug on top of a skyscraper and the thug laughing at him. "How does HE do it?" he wondered. Well, he doesnt whisper, or just talk for one.

That's why Flass' interrogation scene is one of the best movie scenes i have ever seen. Its Batman 101.

Didn't get that impression. He sounded a bit weird the first time I heard it [in TDK] but I didn't find it [unintentionally] funny in that sense. It was the lisp I guess.
I saw movie three times already, and this is the only batvoice moment that I really don't like.

Keep it the way it is... voice didnt bother me at all.

for the film, keep it the way it is. i'm none too fond of the growly-raspy Batman because its hard to decipher what he's saying sometimes, but i dont want them to change whatever it was that was shown in the theaters. instead they should have a special segment on the DVD where it shows Bale's original performance then the version that was eventually used in the theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"