The Dark Knight Batman's Competition in 2008

Advanced Dark said:
I'd say Jon Favreau is a big name, Iron Man can carry his own weight. How well known was Blade? See previous post.

Exactly - Not one of the Blade movies made more than $100m, the top grossing film was $82m which was Blade II. Heck, even DD made more at $102.5m.

Sure, Favreau is a pretty big name, but at the same time, general audiences probably won't know who he is either.

BB made more in profit as well when you count how well the DVD did plus we have no real number on budgets for both films anyway..........it's actually pathetic that a "new & fresh" franchise couldn't out-do a fifth film in a franchise that was pronounced dead in 1997.

If I wasn't a comic fan and hadn't paid attention to who was in Daredevil, I wouldn't know who Jon Favreau was at all.

Milkman95 said:
Iron-Man will do Daredevil numbers, sorry. He's even less known than DD is.
Iron Man is way more popular than Daredevil! Probably at the same level with the FF4.

NOFX said:
Iron Man is way more popular than Daredevil! Probably at the same level with the FF4.

Really? I like Iron-Man, and just like every other comic book film, I'll be there to see it on opening day, but I don't think Iron-Man is as popular as F4 though, but I could be wrong.

I, for one, am not looking forward to Indiana Jones 4. I just saw Firewall, and let me tell you, Harrison Ford has NOT aged well.

So, unless the plot of Indy 4 is that Indiana will be taking up the fatherly role Sean Connery played in 3 while his son Jr. played by Nathon Fillion does all the main adventuring, I'm not forking over $10 to see it.

Batman Begins all the way! I would like to see Iron Man, though, simply because I'm a fan of Jon Favreau's work, both acting and directing-wise. I'm just relieved that Tom Cruise isn't involved with it anymore.

Hey guys FYI Jon Favreau just gave a huge update on Iron Man so check out my Q & A thread in the Marvel movies section. :)

It's nice having a director so connected with the fans. We're important to him.

Iron Man won't be competiton for Batman.

Indiana Jones.....I dunno, I mean.......are people going to want to see an over-the-hill Indy?

Btw...how are they going to explain that? Indy isn't supposed to get old.....WTF......****ing time paradox issue...

Hey guys FYI Jon Favreau just gave a huge update on Iron Man so check out my Q & A thread in the Marvel movies section. :)

It's nice having a director so connected with the fans. We're important to him.

sweet.

AnimeJune said:
I, for one, am not looking forward to Indiana Jones 4. I just saw Firewall, and let me tell you, Harrison Ford has NOT aged well.

So, unless the plot of Indy 4 is that Indiana will be taking up the fatherly role Sean Connery played in 3 while his son Jr. played by Nathon Fillion does all the main adventuring, I'm not forking over $10 to see it.

Batman Begins all the way! I would like to see Iron Man, though, simply because I'm a fan of Jon Favreau's work, both acting and directing-wise. I'm just relieved that Tom Cruise isn't involved with it anymore.

I wasn't aware Indy's son was cast already. Karen Allen better be playing his wife and the Mother of his son then............

Iron-Man won't have anything on the BB sequel. Wolverine will give Bats a run though.........

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Iron Man won't be competiton for Batman.

Indiana Jones.....I dunno, I mean.......are people going to want to see an over-the-hill Indy?

Btw...how are they going to explain that? Indy isn't supposed to get old.....WTF......****ing time paradox issue...
Why isn't Indy sposed to get old?

ps good to see you back in the sequel forum

^ Iron Man & Batman won't be very close together as far as competing for the same box office dollars however I would not be surprised at all if they made the same at the box office. Favreau is a huge talent as a director and very well respected. He's being given 100-130 million to play with Iron Man. Look what he did with much less money on Zathura which to me showed off his talents quite a bit...as did Elf.

I can't wait for BB2 and Iron Man. Two of my favourite heroes.

Advanced Dark said:
^ Iron Man & Batman won't be very close together as far as competing for the same box office dollars however I would not be surprised at all if they made the same at the box office. Favreau is a huge talent as a director and very well respected. He's being given 100-130 million to play with Iron Man. Look what he did with much less money on Zathura which to me showed off his talents quite a bit...as did Elf.

Zathura bombed at the B.O. unfortunately, so his so-called popularity didn't help him there. Iron-Man won't be close to Batman, how in the heck are you coming up with that conclusion?

Milkman95 said:
Zathura bombed at the B.O. unfortunately, so his so-called popularity didn't help him there. Iron-Man won't be close to Batman, how in the heck are you coming up with that conclusion?

Hey now, he just said that he wouldn't be surprised if it did. It's very hard to predict the box office potential of these movies, I wouldn't be surprised if Iron Man did just as well as BB2 at the box office either. Not saying it will happen though.

^ Zathura was a great film and didn't do so great as you said at the box office but that's just the way it goes sometimes. Won't happen that way with Iron Man. I can see Iron Man grossing 200 million domestic if Favreau get's it right and it wouldn't surprise me. It's a fresh concept though not too unlike Bruce Wayne/Batman. It won't be as dark visually and will probably appeal to a broader audience.

I'm not knocking Batman because I loved Batman begins. I think Batman 2 could make 250 million or more if done right domestic but the dark tone will prevent it from making much more. That's ok as long as it's enough to make Batman 3 you know.

Also I'm not suggesting Iron Man is more popular than Batman either. It's different in comics and on film.

Milkman95 said:
Zathura bombed because it was Jumanji in Space, essentially.

And no, Milkman, I don't think his son has been cast yet - I was just posting the ideal. I personally think Nathan Fillion would be the best person to take up the fedora and finish up where Indy left off.

AnimeJune said:
Zathura bombed because it was Jumanji in Space, essentially.

And no, Milkman, I don't think his son has been cast yet - I was just posting the ideal. I personally think Nathan Fillion would be the best person to take up the fedora and finish up where Indy left off.

I can definitely see that. Fillion is great in Firefly.

I'll believe there is an Indy 4 when i see it,as for Iron Man if it doesn't get a big star then i don't see it pulling bigger numbers than BB2
Actually 2008 has yet to announce a really huge movie that can make the $600M WW number

^ It was Jumanji in space in a way but the problem I think is people expected only that. Just another Jumanji in a different setting. I went to see it with my kids expecting it to be rehash but in reality is was 10 times better than Jumanji in every possible way. Much more fun, more creative, better acting, better story, and awesome directing. The title Zathura didn't help either.

hunter rider said:
I'll believe there is an Indy 4 when i see it,as for Iron Man if it doesn't get a big star then i don't see it pulling bigger numbers than BB2
Actually 2008 has yet to announce a really huge movie that can make the $600M WW number

Indy 4 is filming next year. So be ready. LOL

hunter rider said:

People don't go to see, for example, Tom Cruise playing Iron Man. They go to see the character. People go to see good movies, you have many many many examples of movies with complete unknowns that have grossed big numbers.

Advanced Dark said:
Indy 4 is filming next year. So be ready. LOL
I knw they claim this,i read it this morning but until see them on set working i won't beleive it
If they do make an Indy 4 it could wipe the floor with the others Depending on how they execute it

^ Then I don't believe Batman 2 is coming out either until I see the trailer. LOL

COME ON ! said:
People don't go to see, for example, Tom Cruise playing Iron Man. They go to see the character. People go to see good movies, you have many many many examples of movies with complete unknowns that have grossed big numbers.

While in some cases that may be true,trying to launch a character like Iron Man who is unknown outside the comic world without some star power leaves you with a small hit not a movie that beats BB2

Advanced Dark said:
^ Then I don't believe Batman 2 is coming out either until I see the trailer. LOL

Fair enough but unlike Indy 4 BB2 hasn't been on and off like a tap for the pasr 5 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"