• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Justice League Ben Affleck IS Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly it’s time for Batman Beyond. We’ve seen a lot of Bruce Wayne, perhaps the conclusion in Reeves’s trilogy could be a BB movie.

Honestly it’s time for Batman Beyond. We’ve seen a lot of Bruce Wayne, perhaps the conclusion in Reeves’s trilogy could be a BB movie.

Nah, man. The idea of a Batman Beyond movie bores me to death.

Have a proper Bruce Wayne/Batman movie or bust.

Ideally I want the Matt Reeves Batman movie to have Ben Affleck in it. I think that would be amazing. I think talks of Matt Reeve's movie spawning a trilogy is premature, because I think its wise to first see how and what he does with the first film. We dont even know if he wants to do 3 movies, or if he has enough stories for 3 movies. 3 movies means dedicating 9-10 years of his life to one franchise and that's maybe not what Reeves wants.
Reeves has been coy about his direction for the series, but I never got the impression he was a one-and-done type of creative. Trilogy talks are indeed too early, but I think that's both WB and Matt's plan. He's talked eagerly of having a path he wants to explore much like he did with Caesar. Given the wealth of material for Batman, I imagine he can't possibly fit all he would want in a single film. Barring any tremendous setbacks, Reeves is our guy for 2020s Batman.

If JL works, and is a huge success, there might be a scenario where Ben fulfills his 3 movie contract, does JL2 as his last film. JL2 where GL joins the league, and the 7 go against Darkseid. That would be amazing, while Reeves gets to make HIS Batman film with his Batman. That would be cool, because that might be a prime Batman who is maybe 30 years old.
I don't think this scenario works, honestly. While much of Batfleck's past has only been hinted at, it does box Reeve in as the future has already been set. And you'll potentially rule out the inclusion of popular favorites like Deadshot, Harley, and Deathstroke (as they'll be in the present timeline).

I see this as Ben fulfilling the rest of his contract with JL2, thereby forcing Reeves out of directing for another year or so to prepare transitions. Or Flashpoint already has this reset button built in and now they just need to secure that director so they can work out logistics with Reeve in preparation for his new Batman.

I've no urgency to watch a Batman Beyond without an established and careered Bruce in that chair.

It's an exciting concept, but for me it cannot take precedence over a full-on Batman universe. Especially when this (DC) universe is literally just starting and we barely got to know our Batman.

I'd support a Batman Beyond film, but not necessarily one connected with the DCEU.

I said this long ago, but my ideal Batman Beyond film would be with Michael Keaton returning as Bruce Wayne helping Terry McGinnis in the future.
Doubt it would ever happen, but I'd love that.

if you do Beyond, you make it an elseworlds film and get Michael Keaton to play old Bruce.

Those are my requests.

I'd support a Batman Beyond film, but not necessarily one connected with the DCEU.

I said this long ago, but my ideal Batman Beyond film would be with Michael Keaton returning as Bruce Wayne helping Terry McGinnis in the future.
Doubt it would ever happen, but I'd love that.

Not hot on that idea, either. If they ever were to make an 'Elseworlds' Batman movie with Michael Keaton, it should be a Dark Knight Returns-style story directed by Tim Burton.

Not hot on that idea, either. If they ever were to make an 'Elseworlds' Batman movie with Michael Keaton, it should be a Dark Knight Returns-style story directed by Tim Burton.

Id support that too. Honestly, I'd support almost any idea that brings Michael Keaton back as Bruce Wayne/Batman/Batman Beyond or whatever.

Great shot as a elseworlds story regardless and I'd be in the theater to see either one.

Nah, man. The idea of a Batman Beyond movie bores me to death.

Have a proper Bruce Wayne/Batman movie or bust.

Which interesting stories do they tell, though?

I've no urgency to watch a Batman Beyond without an established and careered Bruce in that chair.

Does the person playing Bruce absolutely have to be someone we previously saw as Batman? That feels like an unnecessary stipulation.

It's an exciting concept, but for me it cannot take precedence over a full-on Batman universe. Especially when this (DC) universe is literally just starting and we barely got to know our Batman.

I thought the idea of an interconnected universe was kind of shelved by WB recently? I may have inferred that off insufficient info, though.

I'd prefer they go for individual (and potentially separate) interesting stories - like they're doing with Flashpoint, rather than developing another full-on universe.

My issue is I'm struggling to think of source material that's interesting to adapt for live-action. UTRH? The Long Halloween? I like the idea of Hush, or seeing anyone in the Rogue's gallery we haven't seen yet.

As I said in my earlier post, I'd support this idea as well, but would the Superman in this film be........................... Nicolas Cage? :woot:

As I said in my earlier post, I'd support this idea as well, but would the Superman in this film be........................... Nicolas Cage? :woot:

Of course. :mnm:

Which interesting stories do they tell, though?
Which interesting stories do they tell? For Bruce Wayne/Batman? Man, there's so much to tell it's difficult to figure out where to start. There have been so many different takes on the character, even in the comics, that you could fill plenty of different kinds of movies.

Doug Moench's conspiracy-filled 1990s stories come to mind as and inspiration for something we have yet to see on the big screen.

For how long have they been churning out James Bond movies? There's plenty of material to do the same thing with Bruce Wayne / Batman.

Which interesting stories do they tell? For Bruce Wayne/Batman? Man, there's so much to tell it's difficult to figure out where to start. There have been so many different takes on the character, even in the comics, that you could fill plenty of different kinds of movies.

Doug Moench's conspiracy-filled 1990s stories come to mind as and inspiration for something we have yet to see on the big screen.

That's kind of my hesitation with Bruce/Batman stuff, there's so much, and so much of it is tangentially a genre within the superhero genre so it's kind of like having so much choice it's difficult to choose.

I also feel like it should ideally be stuff that's either a little left-field or so old it's not super familiar to the GA. If it's just a live action UTRH I'm not sure it would be all that interesting, maybe some of the conspiracy stuff you mentioned that's far back enough to be 'new' would be great.

Another approach would be stories with Batman + Superman (and perhaps WW) - because the Trinity has some cool arcs.

That's kind of my hesitation with Bruce/Batman stuff, there's so much, and so much of it is tangentially a genre within the superhero genre so it's kind of like having so much choice it's difficult to choose.

I also feel like it should ideally be stuff that's either a little left-field or so old it's not super familiar to the GA. If it's just a live action UTRH I'm not sure it would be all that interesting, maybe some of the conspiracy stuff you mentioned that's far back enough to be 'new' would be great.

Another approach would be stories with Batman + Superman (and perhaps WW) - because the Trinity has some cool arcs.

That's why screenwriters are screenwriters and directors are directors.

P.S.: What the hell is a UTRH?

That's why screenwriters are screenwriters and directors are directors.

True. I'm intrigued by the idea of a trilogy just to see what they come up with.

P.S.: What the hell is a UTRH?

Under the Red Hood. A while back when Reeves/Affleck were first rumored to be doing a new set of Batman movies Under the Red Hood seemed like it got the most attention as a story people wanted adapted. I liked the idea initially, but in hindsight it doesn't feel like there's enough going on for it to be an engaging live action movie.

I understand there's people who are big fans and will greatly defend these movies here and I respect that and I honestly don't want to offend anyone, but throwing around only reasons like "commitment issues" or "personal problems" as the main part of the reasoning why Ben might be leaving is frankly BS, when the simplest, most logical answer is probably the critical disaster that BvS ended up becoming (whether deserved or not, that's subjective to anyone). Personally, as a fan, I wish Ben had never taken this role, even though I enjoy him in it and I can understand why he did it on the basis of a good relationship with WB, future directing plans being conditioned by it and perhaps too much optimism. He's admitted and it's only to be assumed that had many appealing directing and acting offers after winning the Oscar for Argo and this was a huge gamble. But, I remember thinking despite his other intentions, he also had a lot of enthusiasm about this role, there was probably really a fanboy/childish side of him that enjoyed the idea and the possibility to redeem himself from the stink of Daredevil (although at the time critics also said he was one of the better parts of another critically derided movie, but he took the burnt of it, as it inevitably happens with big stars being associated to these roles), as he's repeatedly said that was his biggest regret during his career and had even promised to never put on a tight suit or be part of a blockbuster again. He had that enthusiasm during the BvS junket as well, I think, until the reviews came out and based on his future statements, I don't think he expected the reaction to be that extreme.

I remember before Tsujihara made that announcement subsequently that he would be directing as sort of a PR damage control imo, he had been asked a about the idea of directing and despite that probably being the plan right from the beginning, he still sounded unsure because of it probably resulting in too much responsibility and pressure and wanting the basis material to be good..and that uncertainty was clear almost every other time he addressed it, even as he was working on the script, with probably the only exception being that Kimmel appearance that seems to be the only time those in denial seem to remember, when he said they were working on the movie, probably just to get journalists and people off his back for a bit. I understand the degree of interest on this movies is huge and they generate a lot of clickbait, but that constant hounding and complete lack of respect towards his work, during junkets for The Accountant and especially LBN, a movie he worked on for four years, was completely disrespectful and almost abusive to a degree. And people bring up Live by Night, but truth is, that movie's problems were bad editing and an apparent lack of focus compared to his previous ones (perhaps brought on from his commitments in the DCEU as well) and the reviews also included the critics' recognition for his abilities as a director and had encouragement for him to continue to direct despite it being a misfire, so aside from it resulting in a financial loss for LBN, I don't think the damage to his directorial prospects is considerable at all.

Outside of that, Gone Girl and The Accountant have also brought critical praise for him as an actor. Despite the later receiving mediocre reviews, it was sold only under his name and it surpassed box office predictions, proving his star-power outside of the franchise. And I am very aware of his personal problems, but they're also speculative and subjective if you want to get into that, because as his ex admitted in an interview, they had been secretly separated a long time before they even announced their divorce publicly, which means Ben would have probably already been facing some of those family problems while and maybe even before he decided to play the character, yet they didn't seem to factor in his plans up to a point. I do think his drinking becoming a problem is a more recent thing and I do think Ben doesn't particularly appreciate the extra attention this role has brought at this point in his life and that could add to the stress but overall, I think his hesitation is more justified based on the earlier points. However, if JL is proven to be a success and with Reeves' talent and vision being promising, he could consider staying one or 2 more times but I don't think longer than that. Personally, I think he enjoys far more being a director anyway tbh.

if you do Beyond, you make it an elseworlds film and get Michael Keaton to play old Bruce.

Those are my requests.

l7iqupy.gif

Who’s 35-38, a big name and a fit for the role

Time to brainstorm!

Who’s 35-38, a big name and a fit for the role

Time to brainstorm!

Let's do that in the Batman casting thread over at the Batman subforum.

This is the 'Ben Affleck IS Bruce Wayne/Batman' thread. :cwink:

Go to 40 year old, and convince Michael Fassbender. He has the gravitas to be Bruce Wayne and Batman. ( and i could see him alongside Gal, and the others)

let's do that in the batman casting thread over at the batman subforum.

This is the 'ben affleck is bruce wayne/batman' thread. :cwink:
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz