Justice League Ben Affleck Offered to Direct Justice League

Oh I'm sure too, but he's not the "DCE Godfather" of WB like some here thought he was.

lol whole nother thread there but i agree. i wasn't a huge fan of the nolan batman flicks and im not thrilled about superman begins either.

Oh I'm sure too, but he's not the "DCE Godfather" of WB like some here thought he was.

I think people jumped the gun when they read that article. I never took away that he was, just that WB probably wanted him to be.

You can't blame him after doing 3 batman films and producing a superman film that he would be a bit burnt out with the genre.

Damn. Got my hopes up :csad:.

I didn't find anything he did all original. :huh:

You didn't think inception was original?

If he had more ideas like that (especially being successful) would you not want to see what else he could come up with.

Assuming Affleck does accept this gig, solely as a director -- who would he hire to do the cinematography and score? He's picked some great guys to shoot his films, like Robert Elswit, Rodrigo Prieto, and John Toll. I would love to see Prieto tackle a movie like JL. The guy knows his stuff.

I'm a little less anxious who he'd pick to score the film. Harry Gregson-Williams (Gone Baby Gone, The Town) would be an okay choice, but Alexandre Desplat (Argo) would be a GREAT pick.

You didn't think inception was original?
Not really. Heavy inspiration from paintings and a direct rip-off of a Scrooge comic.
If he had more ideas like that (especially being successful) would you not want to see what else he could come up with.
I am interested in seeing more from him, but not eagerly anticipating anything.

Not really. Heavy inspiration from paintings and a direct rip-off of a Scrooge comic.

I am interested in seeing more from him, but not eagerly anticipating anything.

Is there ever really an original idea if you look at it that way, lol.

Either way, its like they are building his name into a brand. If his films continue to make money, you want to be the studio collecting it. Starting with not upsetting him.

Is there ever really an original idea if you look at it that way, lol.
There's plenty, Inception just wasn't one of them for me, sorry.
Either way, its like they are building his name into a brand. If his films continue to make money, you want to be the studio collecting it. Starting with not upsetting him.
While I agree, again I see you giving Nolan too much credit. Sure they'll try not to upset him, but if what WB wants goes against what he wants, WB pulls rank.

Nolans one of my favourite directors of all time. I adore his Batman trilogy. But it's time to move on.

Batman must always move forward. Don't repeat things of the past. If you can't move in a forward direction and do something that hasn't been done with the character, then take a long break.

Justice League is important to me too, because as a massive Bat-fan it effects the next series of movies for him. And JLA has never happened so im back to being psyched about it. ESPECIALLY if somebody like Affleck is attached.

While I agree, again I see you giving Nolan too much credit. Sure they'll try not to upset him, but if what WB wants goes against what he wants, WB pulls rank.

But were talking about different things at this point. Its clear he's done with the dc films, I'm saying that WB is going to show him other projects that they want him to consider.

I'm sure he knows that batman is there character and at this point they will do what they want with it, including trying to get bale back if they felt the need to. Nolan would be naive to think otherwise and also naive to think any other studio wouldnt do the same.

Its not really giving him to much credit when he's produced critically acclaimed films that have made a lot of money at the box office. Just because you may not like his stuff doesn't mean you can't recognize the success of it.

i'm not optimistic about been affleck doing this. the deadline report worries me

Seems like a good idea to me, why are people *****ing?

he's in he's out.....wow......the reports for this are both within the same day so I'm incline to think its not true.

If Affleck is involved, I'm not sure if I'm for it or against it

He's coming along as a director no doubt, but his writing is probably the highlight. With his acting falling under the other 2. Even though he's decent at that.

The only reason why i think he fits something as wild as Justice League is because of who is writing the script. Or should i say the word going around about what kind of writer he is, and what subject manner he has experience in. Which is more of a crime element with what looks like a bit of fun thrown in there. Not your "traditional" crime screenwriter i guess.

Add to that, the talk of WB trying to let JLA take a more mature direction compared to Marvels movies. That's a damn good fit for Affleck.

Im starting to get too attached now, and before i know it he's going to refuse because he has other genres in mind. Which will be a damn shame.

WB wanted Rises in 3D. They wanted The Riddler as the villain. I think you're not giving his pull at WB enough credit.

i gotta say, Affleck directing Justice League is a total out of left field choice. but i like it! Gone Baby Gone was a very good film and The Town was one of my favorite films of 2011. given enough time and a good script, i think Affleck will pleasantly surprise all of us.

even if we don't get solo films leading up to JL like Marvel did with Avengers, i think this can still be a quality film. i recently read Justice League: Origin of the New 52 series and i thought it was well done how all these heroes came together. if the script were to take cues from that and from Singer's X-Men films because of such a large ensemble, then we will be in for a hell of a film.

and if he were to star in the film as well, i can definitely see him playing Maxwell Lord - that is if he is still involved in this newer version of JL.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of him playing Maxwell Lord rather than someone on the team.

What I've surmised from the conflicting reports is that WB is definitely eyeing Affleck for the gig, but Deadline spoke directly to his reps, and they said he may take a meeting at most, but ultimately isn't interested in the job. So no one's lying. Variety is correct - WB does want him - Deadline just has further info (Affleck's not interested).

So if that's the case, I'm liking the sound of Yates for this. In fact, if it came down to the two, I would prefer Yates for this. His State of Play was amazing and his work on the HP movies was very good - just behind Cuaron's, imo. He's good with actors and has demonstrated far more visual flair than Affleck, so I think he'd be a better fit anyway.

What I've surmised from the conflicting reports is that WB is definitely eyeing Affleck for the gig, but Deadline spoke directly to his reps, and they said he may take a meeting at most, but ultimately isn't interested in the job. So no one's lying. Variety is correct - WB does want him - Deadline just has further info (Affleck's not interested).

So if that's the case, I'm liking the sound of Yates for this. In fact, if it came down to the two, I would prefer Yates for this. His State of Play was amazing and his work on the HP movies was very good - just behind Cuaron's, imo. He's good with actors and has demonstrated far more visual flair than Affleck, so I think he'd be a better fit anyway.
That's a good analysis of the situation. :up:

I wouldn't mind David Yates because with a good script he can do pretty great stuff like his TV stuff Sex Traffic and State Of Play and obviously his had experience on big budget movies with the Harry Potter franchise.

I don't think Affleck is going to do Justice League as he doesn't seem intrested in Superhero movies going by what his said in public post Daredevil. Yates is a more safe choice than Affleck I guess which is either a good or bad thing depending on your own point of view.

Very succinct clarification.

I also think it's true that:

1) It is not a coincidence that WB leaked the possibility of an exciting, buzz worthy director being offered the project less than 48 hours after Joss Whedon is not only confirmed for Avengers 2 in 2015 but looks set to become the "godfather" of the MCU in the same way they wanted Nolan, not to mention the rights deals speculation. They want new buzz for JL at the same time regardless of how likely it actually is BA would direct, they wanted to get the ball rolling.

2) It is possible Affleck is interested playing negotiating tactics, there have been people announced for projects who swore they weren't involved, there was speculation that Whedon wasn't interested when the list of frontrunners was leaked. However it is interesting that Deadline outright called BS instead of "clarifiying" it like they did with FOX vs Marvel.

3) No matter how nuts you think someone might be to pass on this job, no top tier director will want to come aboard this project unless they're passionate about it and convinced they can make it be seen as more than "poor man's Avengers".

Hiring a director that is not interested will result in "poor man's Avengers".

Just saw this. I LOVE Affleck as adirector, would be thrilled if he took this. Who would he cast himself as, though? A villain? I could actually kinda see him as Aquaman, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"