Benazir Bhutto Assassinated

Malice

BMFH
Reaction score
Wow....

Is there anyone who knows Pakastani politics and the state of the country that can give us more info of what its like there...something we dont get from CNN...
I am really curious.

This is pretty bad, considering she was the only clear oppostion leader in the elections. She wasnt a great Prime Minister back in the 80s and 90s (from my pakistani friend has told me about politics there. But I suppose that depends on a political stance).
She narrowly escapped a suicide bombing in October. This is very bad for Pakistan which is clearly divided.
I just realise a good friend of mine was in Lahore. I hope hes ok, I know Bhutto was a major political figure with support and I just hope theres no rioting in the streets or anything. But there probably.

All I know is Nawaz Sharif aint gonna think about going back there now....

I'm not aware i currently heard about this on the tv, apparently they shot her a couple of times and then some dude came in and blowed her and himself up.

They were really out to get her, it was only a matter of time before they got her i think

Shame

I don't think this bodes well. A nuclear state is destabilized and that ain't cool.

I'm not aware i currently heard about this on the tv, apparently they shot her a couple of times and then some dude came in and blowed her and himself up.

They were really out to get her, it was only a matter of time before they got her i think

Shame

QFT

This is a real shame.

Actually let me correct myself, Sharif is already back in Pakistan. But he was leading the opposing party to Bhutto in the upcoming elections.Obviously he's in a good position until they find a replacment for the election if at all

Dude is a dead man walking at this point....

This is truly tragic. Despite the charges of corruption Bhutto did not deserve such a cowardly attack. We mourned the death of Capt. America this year, but a real life promoter of democracy and peace has been killed today. This hasn't been a great year for democracy.

Can't believe she got killed. Just saw Benazir Bhutto story on CNN. This is really bad news for Pakistan and the region in general.

We mourned the death of Capt. America this year, but a real life promoter of democracy and peace has been killed today. This hasn't been a great year for democracy.
Hahaha

But yeah, sad stuff. :csad:

To be honest, she was lucky she survived the first, that killed 130 of her supporters back in October.

This really throws the political ramifcations of the next election in Pakistan in a loop. Does anyone know if Imran Khan is still seriously thinking about running?

This is just like Benigno Aquino. I've been watching her on PBS and CNN, and every time I saw her speak, I thought, "Okay, she's going to be assassinated." and everyone knows it, but they bravely go on anyway, until, they're killed.

When you're in the public eye like that and have opinions that aren't popular, you will be a target. You can go with the safe route, but then we wouldn't have the progress we do now. I'm waiting to see what some of the prez candidates have to say about this now and how it will relate to their own agendas.

This really hurts Musharaf.

It was understood that her party would win the elections and that her and Musharraf would share power. He needed her for international and local legitmacy.

Like I said she wasnt a great PM back in the day and from the Pakistanis I've spoken to some viewed her as a step foward in the political process and others viewed her as being corupt as the rest from her past record.

Still, kinda crazy she got cap and the pictures are pretty graphic

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=78622741#

When you see those and can put a face to it, it starts to resonate more because it happened so recent.

To be honest, she was lucky she survived the first, that killed 130 of her supporters back in October.

This really throws the political ramifcations of the next election in Pakistan in a loop. Does anyone know if Imran Khan is still seriously thinking about running?

I hope Imran Khan does run. We need people to prove democaracy does work and people won't be bullied or murdered into a dictatorship.

Its worth the risk even if the price is so high. Bhutto knew that.

I hope Imran Khan does run. We need people to prove democaracy does work and people won't be bullied or murdered into a dictatorship.

Its worth the risk even if the price is so high. Bhutto knew that.

Living here in the US, I dont know too much about him but from I hear dude was like a big Cricket star turn celeb/humanatarian/aspiring politican.

I'm saying what can he do?

Bhutto's family was always in political conflict (setting up the Islamic republic etc), I dont know if dude is built for that.

Bhutto was falsely accused and never charged for allegations of corruption. She went into exile and recently returned to work to bring democracy and women's rights to Pakistan, as well as an end to state-backed terrorism. She was someone who could have brought about serious change, and not just in Pakistan.

For anyone interested, NPR still has interviews they did with her from a few weeks back.

A horrible, horrible tragedy whose shockwaves will be felt worldwide.

Pakistan is tearing itself apart right now. A nuclear country destroying itself from inside.

Things in the world have just gotten a lot darker.

Bhutto was falsely accused and never charged for allegations of corruption. She went into exile and recently returned to work to bring democracy and women's rights to Pakistan, as well as an end to state-backed terrorism. She was someone who could have brought about serious change, and not just in Pakistan.

For anyone interested, NPR still has interviews they did with her from a few weeks back.

I wonder if a lot of resentment is directed to her family for being involved in creating an Islamic Republic? I need to know more about it to be sure...

smh@ George Bush...

Im watching the news conference live on TV of him giving his condolences to Bhutto's family and the people of Pakistan and he just referred to her as Mr Bhutto......

an idiot through and through

it was a headshot...and i can tell you, its gonna be absolute hell in pakistan for the upcoming future.

right now there are probably insane riots

Nawaz Shareef on TV right now if anyone got CNN or BBC World Service news

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"