Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Well its obvious its between The Dark Knight Rises and Iron Man 3.

Director: Chris Nolan gets this by far. I loved 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' and 'Iron Man 3', but Shane Black doesn't have near the artistic eye as Nolan. Point:THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Cinematography: Wally Pfister in a land side. 'Rises' looks beautiful. Its a wonder to watch from that standpoint alone. Especially with the IMAX. Yum. 'Iron Man 3' isn't bad, but its nothing different than the standard blockbuster film from a cinematography point of view.
Point:THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Editing: From a sound mixing/editing standpoint, both films are great. Editing is something you shouldn't really notice. When someone asks 'who edited that?" thats normally a bad sign. We notice editing when its jarring and, well, bad. Neither film tried anything special with the editing, just a solid job.
POINT: Toss Up.

Special Effects: Another near toss up, but I'll give the nod to 'Iron Man 3' simply because more effects were needed and they looked great.
POINT: IRON MAN 3

Screenplay: Shane Black is great with witty dialogue and typically good with juggling tones. Jonathan Nolan is great with villainous monologues and escalating the story. Both films have pacing issues, mostly due to the stories themselves. However, Nolan knows this and opens with an action scene with Bane, then gives a small action scene with Blake and Selina before we eventually see Batman an hour in. Black on the other hand, gives us mostly nothing but backstory until we see Iron Man in action about an hour in when his house is attacked. Right after the attack, Black slows back down in Tenn. However, once Batman is back, Nolan picks up the pace a tad, leading soon to Bane and Batman's first encounter and even when he has his hero MIA for sometime, he continues the escalation with the Football scene, Blake racing to the hospital, riot montage and Bane's speech. Nolan gives us some quiet, subtle emotional scenes with Bruce in the beginning as a hermit, his quarrels with Alfred and in Bane's jail. Black gives Tony a few scenes of panic attacks due to PDSD, however he never really develops it. Tony is never MIA, but most of his gadgets are. Both characters come back in full hero form for a strong climax. Iron Man has an interesting villain twist, but the villain himself isn't very unique. Nolan continues to show his strength in writing villains and Tom Hardy adds a strong performance to give Batman a solid villain in Bane. Overall, The Dark Knight Rises aims higher and while it doesn't quite hit where it wanted to, it was still higher than Iron Man 3, which aside from one big twist, yet again played it safe.

CAST:
Hero- Both RDJ and Bale are phenomenal actors. Bale gets a meatier character due to a more dramatic and better written story and part. RDJ gets a more enjoyable performance due to a more light-hearted, joke oriented story. I know RDJ as Iron Man is iconic, but I can't pick one over the other.
POINT: TOSS UP

Villain- Guy Pearce isn't bad by any means, but Hardy's Bane is just flat out better. A better written character and better performance.
POINT: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Love Interest- Pepper is about a hundred times better than Tate/Talia who is just awful.

Side Kick- Rhodey is pretty cool in IM3 and Cheadle does well with what he was given, but once again Anne Hathaway had a better written part to work with, which made it easier for her to give a better performance.

The rest: 'Rises' has way more characters than 'IM3', but the combination of guys like Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Joseph Gordon Levitt and even Matthew Modine is easily superior than the rest of the cast of 'IM3', which has a really strong cast. Ben Kingsley in a strange roll gives probably the best performance of the two films, but 'Rises' cast is just more consistent overall.
POINT:THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

OVERALL: 'Rises' gets 6/10 of the categories, 'IM3' gets 2/10 and two toss ups. Overall, 'Rises' simply had a better cast and crew overall, better overall story and aimed much higher. While it didn't reach its personal potential, the level it did reach is still higher to 'IM3', which again, aside from one huge twist, simply played it too safe.
OVERALL: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Very cool, and agree with the criteria.

Although the love interest...Selina Kyle > Pepper Potts.

There is no way a Batfilm would have better effects than an Iron Man film, imo, and the last bit of IM3 with all the armors coming to Tony's rescue...possibly the best thing about the film because it's a treat to the eyes.

Iron Man 3 for me, third films always seem to have such division between fandom but personally Iron Man 3 is my favorite Iron Man film...for now.

Very cool, and agree with the criteria.

Although the love interest...Selina Kyle > Pepper Potts.

There is no way a Batfilm would have better effects than an Iron Man film, imo, and the last bit of IM3 with all the armors coming to Tony's rescue...possibly the best thing about the film because it's a treat to the eyes.

I wanted her to be the 'sidekick', but I could have easily had her be the love interest and JGL the 'sidekick'.

Anyway, I think the poll is telling. TDKR and Iron Man 3 are easily the only two films in this poll worth a flying flip. I think TDKR is of higher quality, but I quite enjoyed IM3 too.

I love how I'm the only one who voted for X3

I actually should have voted X3 too. I thought it was better than X2 and a very good X-Men movie who addressed a different and very interesting angle on the mutant issue. I also like how Rogue finally made her decision. I bet any other version would have had her stepping back.

Well its obvious its between The Dark Knight Rises and Iron Man 3.

Director: Chris Nolan gets this by far. I loved 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' and 'Iron Man 3', but Shane Black doesn't have near the artistic eye as Nolan. Point:THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Cinematography: Wally Pfister in a land side. 'Rises' looks beautiful. Its a wonder to watch from that standpoint alone. Especially with the IMAX. Yum. 'Iron Man 3' isn't bad, but its nothing different than the standard blockbuster film from a cinematography point of view.

Editing: From a sound mixing/editing standpoint, both films are great. Editing is something you shouldn't really notice. When someone asks 'who edited that?" thats normally a bad sign. We notice editing when its jarring and, well, bad. Neither film tried anything special with the editing, just a solid job.
POINT: Toss Up.

Special Effects: Another near toss up, but I'll give the nod to 'Iron Man 3' simply because more effects were needed and they looked great.

Screenplay: Shane Black is great with witty dialogue and typically good with juggling tones. Jonathan Nolan is great with villainous monologues and escalating the story. Both films have pacing issues, mostly due to the stories themselves. However, Nolan knows this and opens with an action scene with Bane, then gives a small action scene with Blake and Selina before we eventually see Batman an hour in. Black on the other hand, gives us mostly nothing but backstory until we see Iron Man in action about an hour in when his house is attacked. Right after the attack, Black slows back down in Tenn. However, once Batman is back, Nolan picks up the pace a tad, leading soon to Bane and Batman's first encounter and even when he has his hero MIA for sometime, he continues the escalation with the Football scene, Blake racing to the hospital, riot montage and Bane's speech. Nolan gives us some quiet, subtle emotional scenes with Bruce in the beginning as a hermit, his quarrels with Alfred and in Bane's jail. Black gives Tony a few scenes of panic attacks due to PDSD, however he never really develops it. Tony is never MIA, but most of his gadgets are. Both characters come back in full hero form for a strong climax. Iron Man has an interesting villain twist, but the villain himself isn't very unique. Nolan continues to show his strength in writing villains and Tom Hardy adds a strong performance to give Batman a solid villain in Bane. Overall, The Dark Knight Rises aims higher and while it doesn't quite hit where it wanted to, it was still higher than Iron Man 3, which aside from one big twist, yet again played it safe.

CAST:
Hero- Both RDJ and Bale are phenomenal actors. Bale gets a meatier character due to a more dramatic and better written story and part. RDJ gets a more enjoyable performance due to a more light-hearted, joke oriented story. I know RDJ as Iron Man is iconic, but I can't pick one over the other.
POINT: TOSS UP

Villain- Guy Pearce isn't bad by any means, but Hardy's Bane is just flat out better. A better written character and better performance.

Love Interest- Pepper is about a hundred times better than Tate/Talia who is just awful.

Side Kick- Rhodey is pretty cool in IM3 and Cheadle does well with what he was given, but once again Anne Hathaway had a better written part to work with, which made it easier for her to give a better performance.

The rest: 'Rises' has way more characters than 'IM3', but the combination of guys like Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Joseph Gordon Levitt and even Matthew Modine is easily superior than the rest of the cast of 'IM3', which has a really strong cast. Ben Kingsley in a strange roll gives probably the best performance of the two films, but 'Rises' cast is just more consistent overall.
POINT:THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

OVERALL: 'Rises' gets 6/10 of the categories, 'IM3' gets 2/10 and two toss ups. Overall, 'Rises' simply had a better cast and crew overall, better overall story and aimed much higher. While it didn't reach its personal potential, the level it did reach is still higher to 'IM3', which again, aside from one huge twist, simply played it too safe.
OVERALL: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
I agree with a lot of what you said, but i think id rate it

Director: Chris Nolan
Cinematography: Wally Pfister by a little bit. I though IM3 had a great look as well
Editing: IM3
Special Effects: Iron man 3. Not exactly fair though since tdkr didnt really require a whole ton. But the Iron man suit has never looked better
Screenplay: Toss up
Cast: Toss up. RDJ is a better lead in my opinion, but the whole cast of both films are great
Villain: Killian was great, but i have to give it to bane
Love interest: IM3 by a long shot
Sidekick: IM3, i thought Rhodey really got to shine in this one and his interaction with tony was great
The Rest: This one is hard to peg because these two films are so different. Each has a great cast and a ton of heart. TDKR packs a serious emotional punch and iron man packs a ton of laughs and great action
So id say its a toss up
Overall: Tdkr-3 IM3-3
I personally enjoyed im3 a bit more but i tend to enjoy movies that make me laugh more than ones that are pretty much completely serious. I will say that TDKR is awesome and my favorite nolan bat-film.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but i think id rate it

Director: Chris Nolan
Cinematography: Wally Pfister by a little bit. I though IM3 had a great look as well
Editing: IM3
Special Effects: Iron man 3. Not exactly fair though since tdkr didnt really require a whole ton. But the Iron man suit has never looked better
Screenplay: Toss up
Cast: Toss up. RDJ is a better lead in my opinion, but the whole cast of both films are great
Villain: Killian was great, but i have to give it to bane
Love interest: IM3 by a long shot
Sidekick: IM3, i thought Rhodey really got to shine in this one and his interaction with tony was great
The Rest: This one is hard to peg because these two films are so different. Each has a great cast and a ton of heart. TDKR packs a serious emotional punch and iron man packs a ton of laughs and great action
So id say its a toss up
Overall: Tdkr-3 IM3-3
I personally enjoyed im3 a bit more but i tend to enjoy movies that make me laugh more than ones that are pretty much completely serious. I will say that TDKR is awesome and my favorite nolan bat-film.

You make some good points. Your point about both films being so different regarding the cast is a good point. In many ways, TDKR is an ensemble type story. IM3 not so much. Therefore, TDKR had some bigger names in smaller parts that were given more to do than some of the supporting parts in IM3.

You make some good points. Your point about both films being so different regarding the cast is a good point. In many ways, TDKR is an ensemble type story. IM3 not so much. Therefore, TDKR had some bigger names in smaller parts that were given more to do than some of the supporting parts in IM3.
Very true. TDKR focused on a lot of different cast members, whereas IM3 was pretty much completely about tony. Hard to compare two films that had such different approaches to story. I felt that both of them accomplished what they set out to. For me it just really comes down to what style I prefer. They both rocked. :up:

I actually should have voted X3 too. I thought it was better than X2 and a very good X-Men movie who addressed a different and very interesting angle on the mutant issue. I also like how Rogue finally made her decision. I bet any other version would have had her stepping back.

X3 is the only one I like. I overall disliked X2 and X1

You didn't like the first two X-Men films?

shocked_stares__buffy___spike__by_thisnameispwoper-d4sqp33.gif

I really do like Spider-Man 3 and Dark Knight Rises the most. After that I'd say X-Men 3 and then Iron Man 3. Iron Man 3 could have been one of the best, but since they ruined Mandarin, didn't take the film seriously and made some poor decisions it ended up being a fun, good but not great movie.

It's a shame because it had everything it needed to be great.

Spidey 3 and TDKR have great themes and action scenes. Both are flawed but overall I do like them a lot.

With the TDK trilogy, the recurring theme throughout the series was that Batman was more than just one man, he was a symbol, a symbol that anyone could be (given their outlook on how to deal with Evil) and was consistent throughout all 3 films.

The Iron Man trilogy, OTOH, tried to drive the opposite theme home, that Tony and Tony alone was Iron Man and that he was more than a suit. However, the 3rd film seems to completely throw this out the window given the fact that he utilizes dozens of suits in order to accomplish anything throughout the film, numerous of which are remote controlled by Jarvis, and several which are worn by various people throughout the film, and the tech was utilized by someone else to finish off the bad guy.

I'd take Superman Returns over X3 anyday. :o
Fine by me, I honestly think that movie did a fine job as well
Even the Hulk films, both Ang's and the MCU film are pretty great

The Iron Man trilogy, OTOH, tried to drive the opposite theme home, that Tony and Tony alone was Iron Man and that he was more than a suit. However, the 3rd film seems to completely throw this out the window given the fact that he utilizes dozens of suits in order to accomplish anything throughout the film, numerous of which are remote controlled by Jarvis, and several which are worn by various people throughout the film, and the tech was utilized by someone else to finish off the bad guy.

I think you really missed the point there. Being Iron Man is more than "finishing off the bad guy." He's the mechanic, and not defined by his armors. Saying "I am Iron Man" has nothing to do with the suit itself.

Iron Man 3 for it's focus on Stark and Ben Kingsley's performance as "The Mandarin" (at both points) alone.

For me, it was actually better than the second (unlike all these movies listed here mostly) and had the fun, wit and action I've come to associate with these Marvel films since the Avengers. It was a smart, quick movie and a very nice addition to Stark's character out of his 4 fully film appearances.

The third movie, no matter what it is, always goes in weird a weird direction that changes everything up. Iron Man 3's weirdness was actually really satisfying to me for once. From the opening and it's unique soundtrack to the places it took Stark and the other characters. By no means do I think it was better than Iron Man or The Avengers but it was an enjoyable popcorn flick and everything that a summer blockbuster should be.

Not the thread but I can't see what's great about it. Sure, it's not a bad movie, but great?

Indeed X2 is great. Before the Dark Knights, before the MCU, we had two really great films in the early 00s that were X2 and Spider-Man 2.

I'd take Superman Returns over X3 anyday. :o

Yah, I'd take the film that had more Cyclops :hehe:

Indeed X2 is great. Before the Dark Knights, before the MCU, we had two really great films in the early 00s that were X2 and Spider-Man 2.

Because....?

I didn't have the action Spider-man 2 and didn't have the strong plot and acting from TDK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"