Best Annihilation Book?

Kirk Langstrom

FRANCINE!!!!
Reaction score
Ok, so we've had a chance to sample at least one issue each. (two in some cases)...

In your opinion, which one is the best so far?

Well, each one is a bit different from the other. I'm going to go with Nova, though, as my favorite. It's got the best art, from what I remember, and it's great to see Nova back in the spotlight. (Thank God he wasn't killed off with the rest of the New Warriors in Civil War.)

Probably, the most different book in the group is Ronan. I'm interested to see where that book goes from here. Definitely great to see a Marvel Cosmic adventure that we pretty much get to read each week.

Nova's my favorite, though Silver Surfer could pull ahead once the heralds really start coming together. I'm a sucker for the uber-powerful gatherings, and it doesn't get much more uber-powerful than a bunch of dudes wielding the Power Cosmic. Plus, it was unspeakably awesome to see Stardust still hanging around and serving Galactus, even though I'm still not sure whether he/she/it is male or female. At least you can count on someone like Giffen to remember what's happened in the Marvel universe recently, beyond the last five minutes.

Anyway, Nova's still my favorite at the moment. It's kind of the same skewed space opera of an alien culture coming to depend entirely on some backwater human, seemingly for no other reason than the fact that he's human (just like we are), but it's been a good, fast-paced read thanks to Abnett and Lanning, and Kev Walker's pencils are heavenly, as always.

Cool. Surprisingly, im enjoying all four books, but i REALLY liked Super-Skrull. I guess because i've always been fascinated by creepy, shape-shifing aliens, and SS is the creepiest! Plus, he's been getting his ash kicked for so long in the Marvel Universe, it's great to see him getting his act together.

That, and he just smacks of classic Lee/Kirby, even to this very day.

I like the books in THIS particular order;

1) Super-Skrull
2) Nova
3) Silver Surfer
4) Ronan

But like Corp suggested; that order could change with any given issue.

I've only read Silver Surfur so far but I wanna pic up ronan. I'm kinda pissed because I don't have enough money for both Civil War #1 and Silver Surfur #2!

Ronan had a surprisingly Loboish feel to it. Only without the humor. I liked how he summarily executed a dude and then, when others told him about how that dude's "crime" was actually a perfectly legal action by their rules, he just blew them off with a casual "Irrelevant." So far I'm really enjoying Ronan for his colossal ego. He's one of those guys I find myself loving to hate.

Nova with Super Skrull a close second. Quick question how did stardust coe back didnt he get sucked into a black hole in Stroembreaker?

For now I'll go with Ronan, although they all rock.

Nova's is good, but it's a little to cliche for me, the way he acts. ;)

all of them are awesome and im glad im gonna be reading this storyline. but, so far nova has the potential to be the best story out of them. so far so good. i did like the super skull story too, you dont see much of him and im glad were seeing him in the front seat of a story.

You know what? I'd seriously consider supporting a "Cosmic Tales" ongoing from Marvel...a book that features rotating arcs with all of Marvel's various cosmic beings...

CaptainStacy said:
You know what? I'd seriously consider supporting a "Cosmic Tales" ongoing from Marvel...a book that features rotating arcs with all of Marvel's various cosmic beings...
I'm not a big space-opera buff, but I definately want the genre to exist, to keep the Marvel Universe more than urban superheroes. Sounds like a great title to keep that faction happy. It would never happen. Joe Q's too busy telling anyone who has read Spider-books at any point in the last 20 years that the marriage to MJ was "stupid" or something.

I voted for NOVA. Of course, it happens to be the only one I am buying, for the same reason. I like Nova. Sure, he seems to be a loosely veiled "clone" of Green Lantern, but he always was, so you may as well do it right.

CaptainStacy said:
They actually had a book like that in the 90's, albiet it only lasted five issues. It was called Cosmic Powers Unlimited if I remember right.

Nova, however SuperSkrull is a close second.

I love seeing the bad guys in a new light.

Johnny Blaze said:
They actually had a book like that in the 90's, albiet it only lasted five issues. It was called Cosmic Powers Unlimited if I remember right.

Yes! By Ron Marz no less, iirc...good memory, man!

I wonder if a book like that would fare better in today's market?

CaptainStacy said:

In today's market? If Joe Q did what he usually does, which is give it almost nothing besides your "online teaser" that all books get, it would sink like a stone. Marketted properly like ANNIHILATION? Who knows. Marvel hasn't tapped their cosmic market for many years, though, and it may not be sustainable beyond "events". I would recommend big name talent, though. The sort of "far out" writers well known for doing well with space stuff. Gaiman and Morrison come to mind. Maybe start begging Alan Moore. Writers sell comics a lot of times, so if they got a hot writer (and artist), you could have a 17 issue series starring The Watcher and Ego and it would sell in the Top 25.

The only one I've even seen in stores is Silver Surfer and it's all I've read of Annihilation so I feel a little bit behind I think.

I bought the one Shot and wasn't overly impressed. I thumbed through nova and Super Skrull but decided to pass on the whole thing....Though I may still get Ronan.

CaptainStacy said:

Was it written by Marz? I didn't remember that much of it. Been a while since I've read them.
And I can't re-read them anymore since those issues were part of the comic package I sold years ago when I was hurting for money. :o

Dread said:
In today's market? If Joe Q did what he usually does, which is give it almost nothing besides your "online teaser" that all books get, it would sink like a stone. Marketted properly like ANNIHILATION? Who knows. Marvel hasn't tapped their cosmic market for many years, though, and it may not be sustainable beyond "events". I would recommend big name talent, though. The sort of "far out" writers well known for doing well with space stuff. Gaiman and Morrison come to mind. Maybe start begging Alan Moore. Writers sell comics a lot of times, so if they got a hot writer (and artist), you could have a 17 issue series starring The Watcher and Ego and it would sell in the Top 25.
I'd absolutely love to read a cosmic book written by Gaiman, whether it be a book akin to the previously mention CPU or a title focusing on a specific character. Gaiman on Surfer, Quasar, or a new Adam Warlock (the real Adam, not the wannabe version from the last failed series) would make my day.
Maybe if his Eternals mini sells well, and Annihilation does good, the folks at Marvel will try to work something out with him? Course, I'm not holding my breath for that to happen, but it would definitely make my day.

I think a more realistic choice that I would also love to see if have Oeming given a shot at writing one of Marvel's cosmics. Granted he's not near as big a name as Gaiman, Moore, or Morrison, but I think he showed that he can handle writing a cosmic book from his work on Thor and Stormbreaker.

Well, Seven Soldiers was about finished, so I figured I would go ahead and grab this scince I'll now not have to pick up seven other mini series. It all kinda worked out I guess.

And I'm enjoying the Surfer best of all so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"