Days of Future Past Best performance by Hugh Jackman of Wolverine

BlackFox

Class of 97
Reaction score
You might love him, you might hate him, you might think he has too much screen time, you might think he should get more and those other darn mutants are just getting in the way, you might think he should put his backside away, you might think he should get it out more often, but you probably have an opinion on him....

hugh-jackman-talks-about-darren-aronofsky-s-interest-in-the-wolverine-116005.jpg

Simply, out of the seven times (a record on film) that Hugh Jackman has played the character of Logan/Wolverine which has been the best portrayal/performance of the hairy one, Bub?

Oh and make sure you say why you think that particular one is the best yet, cause you know, for fun:woot:

(This poll was someone else's idea so credit goes to them for it, not sure of the name)

Last edited:
I think this had to be one of his best. It reminded me alot of the X1 wolverine but with some of the comic wolverine in him (alot of the lines) plus when he jumped out at the Setinal it reminded me alot of how he jumped in the cartoon.

I really liked his performance in the first one. If Logan were real person I feel that's exactly how he would act. He did a great job in DOFP, but it was a more "refined" Logan at that point.

It's between X2, The Wolverine, and DoFP for me.

X2 simply because it is the only X-Men team movie solely focused on him, and he just owned the role. The intensity used in flashbacks, the chemistry between him and Stryker, the fight scenes, and the emotional scenes from the ice wall at the mansion to Jean's sacrifice.
The Wolverine because he matured into it after 4 movies(even if the 4th one was the worst incarnation of the character) and there was a gravitas to his performance when he could have easily phoned it in.
And in DoFP again, he matured into the role, but it also was a different kind of Logan without butchering the essence of the character. It had him as a grown, more intelligent character instead of one who had basic or cliche mannerisms and responses to those around him.

The Wolverine and X2
Then DoFP and X1 :up:

Those are the only ones where he played Wolverine, and not some random heroic charmer who happens to look like Wolverine.

I'm going with X-2. The whole thing with Stryker, and his feelings for Jean really brought out the very best in Logan.

My ranking:

1. The Wolverine
2. X2
3. Days of Future Past
4. X-Men
5. First Class
6. Origins
7. The Last Stand

The Wolverine and X2
Then DoFP and X1 :up:

Those are the only ones where he played Wolverine, and not some random heroic charmer who happens to look like Wolverine.

I'm not even sure they bothered to do that did they?:cwink:

The Wolverine, followed by X2. Of course, it helps that his character is given more of a proper story arc in those films.

He's great in all of them though.

It's between X2, The Wolverine, and DoFP for me.

X2 simply because it is the only X-Men team movie solely focused on him, and he just owned the role. The intensity used in flashbacks, the chemistry between him and Stryker, the fight scenes, and the emotional scenes from the ice wall at the mansion to Jean's sacrifice.
The Wolverine because he matured into it after 4 movies(even if the 4th one was the worst incarnation of the character) and there was a gravitas to his performance when he could have easily phoned it in.
And in DoFP again, he matured into the role, but it also was a different kind of Logan without butchering the essence of the character. It had him as a grown, more intelligent character instead of one who had basic or cliche mannerisms and responses to those around him.

I did like the interaction between Logan and Stryker in X2, mainly becuase Brian Cox is so awesome. I shall have to deliberate further.....

Not a single vote for DOFP, interesting....

It's funny. I really wanted to see this thread get made but now it's made and I'm so conflicted. It's definitely between X2, The Wolverine, and Days of Future Past, and for a lot of the reasons already mentioned. The last two performances in particular are very interesting because they are only a few months apart yet have so much difference to them in terms of the goals that the character' arc is reaching for. The gravitas in The Wolverine works because of Hugh's dedication and commitment, and I also loved those primal Wolvie moments like when he is locked up and talking to Viper, and I love that he had that X1/X2 charm to him in DOFP and seeing him play a guide and mentor figure to the very man who saved him in the original films. It Looked like Hugh was having a hell of a lot of fun doing DOFP.

It's funny. I really wanted to see this thread get made but now it's made and I'm so conflicted. It's definitely between X2, The Wolverine, and Days of Future Past, and for a lot of the reasons already mentioned. The last two performances in particular are very interesting because they are only a few months apart yet have so much difference to them in terms of the goals that the character' arc is reaching for. The gravitas in The Wolverine works because of Hugh's dedication and commitment, and I also loved those primal Wolvie moments like when he is locked up and talking to Viper, and I love that he had that X1/X2 charm to him in DOFP and seeing him play a guide and mentor figure to the very man who saved him in the original films. It Looked like Hugh was having a hell of a lot of fun doing DOFP.

tumblr_n4lqko1Bob1qems7ao3_500.gif

I liked The Wolverine, still do. I absolutely appreciate a violent, noirish movie about the guy. But even in that movie, Logan had a few forced moments that didn't seem natural. In X2, he probably had his best moment (in the kitchen of course).

But in DOFP, Wolverine is flawless. Absolutely nothing takes you out of the character. Of course bone claws are STUPID AND POOP, but otherwise it's great how natural Logan feels. Jackman was just outstanding. And all this was achieved with the least amount of action of all the movies he's in (FC doesn't count). So DOFP is my choice for Jackman's best performance.

If we can get that same naturally flowing portrayal (with metal claws of course) in Apocalypse and probably some fierce action too, I'm going to see it for that reason alone.

------------

I just realized I don't want to see an X-movie without Jackman any time soon. He's the best he's ever been. In X1-X2 he proved himself, but after X3 and Origins he had to prove himself again. And the bastard did it with force. I'm probably as excited about Wolverine now as I was when watching X1/X2 for the first time, if not more. It's insane, because I almost gave up after X3 and Origins. Thank God for Hugh Jackman. That guy really cares about this character, and with his last two Wolverine performances it really shows.

Last edited:
It's impossible to pick just one.Hugh has brought his A game every time.

Hugh is always amazing. I think X2 is when he really nailed it and The Wolverine was an amazing character piece. DoFP was good too but I think due to the setting and the fact he takes more of a backseat role, he is just kind of there. He has some really amazing scenes with James though. Especially in cerebro. But I think X2 is where the money is.

Last Stand and Origins was just no. He was more Wolverine in his 5 second cameo in First Class then eiether one of those movies. I watched Last Stand again the other day and he was just there to have a cry about Jean. And be the hero. Origins was the worst in my opinion. Just a bad story. He made do with what was given to him. But no.

Can't pick one. Hugh does great in them all. Hell him and Liev's performance makes Origins Wolverine semi-watchable.

He just nails it.

1. The Wolverine
2. X2
3. X-Men
4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
5. X-Men: The Last Stand
6. X-Men: First Class
7. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Yes, the one cameo he had in First Class was better than all of Origins.

The Wolverine was my favorite performance from Hugh. I'd rank his performances in X2 and X1 about equal, but the berserker rage during the Stryker school invasion scene edges it out for me.

I feel like The Wolverine was his best performance, it's probably why it's my favorite X-Men movie. I just hope we can see Logan in Yellow/Blue with the mask in Apocalypse or even the Brown/Tan.

Gotta be The Wolverine. Not performance wise but the character in that film was the most wolverine we have ever seen. Completely blood lusted, brash and rude.

"How did you know there was a pool down there?"
"I didn't"

Shout outs to the first third of X1:
"What do they call you? Wheels? This is the stupidest thing Ive ever heard."

And his mansion fight scene in X2.

Honorable mention to First Class.

For me:

1. The Wolverine
2. X1
3. X2
4. DOFP

Those are all solid works. But he got to play the most "pure" Wolverine, at least from my opinion, in The Wolverine and X1. He really might be the most dedicated superhero actor that there is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"