Black Panther's ROTTEN TOMATOES thread - Part 1

I personally don't like SM2.

I think the actors are annoying, it's cringey af and and it doesn't have an ounce of the depth of TDK or BP.

Does that mean the movie doesn't deserve to be highly praised by critics, fanboys and movie goers?

No clearly I have an unpopular opinion and it resonates with people.

You might as well yell at clouds for being above your head.

aecxISD.gif

lol if thor ragnarok can get 92% (since we're using aggregates as an indication of quality because apparently some of us here are blind) then BP sure as hell better get a higher score than that.

RT doesn't work that way. That 92% Thor: Ragnarok has simply means 92% of critics liked it. That means they could have thought it was an A+ movie or a C+ movie. There is no freshness level. It is either fresh or not to them. The critic rating is where a quality score is factored.

Rainer dubbed it the best of the Marvel movies and gave it a 91 on MC.

Orr gave it a 96 on MC.

Back up to 88.

RT doesn't work that way. That 92% Thor: Ragnarok has simply means 92% of critics liked it. That means they could have thought it was an A+ movie or a C+ movie. There is no freshness level. It is either fresh or not to them. The critic rating is where a quality score is factored.

I’m tired of trying to explain this point to certain people.

Aggregating the critic scores has more flaws to it than the fresh/rotten aspect though. That does however ultimately not really matter since of course no critic scores are actual measurements of the quality of a film. That's where some people make the greatest mistake, when they fail to realize the completely subjective nature of film.

i know that. my point was if the percentage aggregate = quality (which some people seem to think is the case for Black panther), then thor ragnarok at 92% was massively overrated to me. But unlike some of the people on this forum I shrug it off as something the critics saw in it that i didn't. i mean i could point to articles like these and insinuate that critics were being subjective and my opinion of the movie is the one truly objective opinion and everyone else doesn't know what they're talking about. but i don't because i have better things to do + i'm not arrogant like that + the actual average rating is 7.5 which is much more appropriate . :yay:

maybe they should use a larger font for the critic rating than the aggregate score

No, the average rating has more problems than the tomato meter due to different scales used, scales being defined differently, not all critics giving grades on every film, etc. Keeping it simple improves the aggregate.

People just need to learn what it's about.

And BP was almost as good as Ragnarok. ;)

Mjölnir;36360463 said:
No, the average rating has more problems than the tomato meter due to different scales used, scales being defined differently, not all critics giving grades on every film, etc. Keeping it simple improves the aggregate.

People just need to learn what it's about.

And BP was almost as good as Ragnarok. ;)

not according to the tomatoes :sly:

The tug of war on MC between 87/88, and RT 8,2/8,3 are the only interesting things about the critical reception ever since opening weekend. It's nice that it never got the usual torrent of delayed backlash that usually happens with highly successful and well reviewed films.

Considering Orr's Metacritic review is the last possible review, the 88 score is final.

I don't know how close the film is to getting back to 8,3 on RT but that's all left at this point.

I mean if you wanted me to reply with reasons BP is vastly superior to Ragnarok (a movie i enjoyed btw and believe saved the thor franchise), I could but all you did was give your opinion on what movie you believe was better and *black panther voice* I don't care. Everyone has their preferences and "the tomatoes" shouldn't influence your enjoyment of a movie.

Excellent results on both metacritic and rotten tomatoes in the end.

I think pxrple was being sarcastic responding to RomanticPenguin.

i should probably make more use of the sarcastic emoji but it's always just looked like someone puckering up for a kiss to me :/

i should probably make more use of the sarcastic emoji but it's always just looked like someone puckering up for a kiss to me :/

That's usually why people use it. :up::o

Another A from a critic. We're at 329 reviews now, should be less than 30 left in the tank.

Let's hope for a few more stellar ones to bump up to 8.3.

Another A from a critic. We're at 329 reviews now, should be less than 30 left in the tank.

Let's hope for a few more stellar ones to bump up to 8.3.

Whats the deal with 8.3 average? I see it pop up continually.

Whats the deal with 8.3 average? I see it pop up continually.

The film's been going between 8.2 and 8.3 average for most of its run. Now that we are getting to the end people want it to to finish in the higher of the 2. The added bonus is that at 8.3 it would tie Spider-man 2 for 2nd most highly rated CBM on rotten tomatoes. Otherwise it's just an arbitrary thing to finish at the higher of 2 possible ratings.

Is it fair to say it's 1 of the best films in the MCU (if not the Best)?

Is it fair to say it's 1 of the best films in the MCU (if not the Best)?

It's not the best in my opinion, but it was really damn good...
Maybe my 5th or 6th favourite...

The Avengers, GotG, CA:WS & Dr Strange all rank higher...
BP is sort of tied with Civil War at the moment, though down the road, CW will be a tad better in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"