The Black Panther Box Office Speculation Thread - Part 3

If Disney wants to fudge then they should have fudged when it was still making 500k over the weekend. They waited for too long and now has to resort to all sort of creative accounting (Puerto Rico, etc.) for it to get to 700M. (They have expanded, what, 3 times? 4 times?) Of course in this very year they have helped A Wrinkle in Time reach 100M (and it was NOT subtle at all), but at least that movie was expanded when it was still making 100k weekend, not 13k weekend like Black Panther.

Black Panther is in week 24 of release. The only other Marvel movie to spend more time in theaters during its initial run was the first Guardians of the Galaxy which lasted 25 weeks. Is this BP's final week or maybe it somehow hangs around til Labor Day? What about a double-feature with Christopher Robin next weekend?

Christopher Robin will likely to double feature with Incredibles II. Disney gotta be careful about that one too if they want it to cross 600M domestic. Leg similar to Dory will get it there, but they still should keep an eye on it and act fast if they feel summer coming to an end and the movie running out of steam.

Aloha,
It's so close to $700 million it hurts. Not sure how I feel about it staying in theaters longer than 25 weeks. It would just need a major rerelease for a week to get over the hump. At $8 a ticket, less than 6k people would have to see it to make the $700. To think that most people thought that Black Panther would make $700 million in TOTAL and we're talking about just domestic!

As of July 30, 2018
Domestic: $699,954,935 52.0%
+ Foreign: $646,674,251 48.0%
= Worldwide: $1,346,629,186
:bp:

Long Live the King of Wakanda

We're down to $400 a day now. We need $44k more. At $400/day, that's another 110 days. So sometime Thanksgiving? Black Panther crosses $700 mil domestic on Black Friday?

That's a tall order considering it's been out on Blu-ray/DVD/digital for over two months now.

That's a tall order considering it's been out on Blu-ray/DVD/digital for over two months now.

Aloha,
Agreed.
I think at this point, I can live with the fact that only Avatar and Star Wars have made $700 million domestic. Black Panther will be the third highest grossing domestic film of all time whether it hits the $700 million mark or not.

Aloha,
Agreed.
I think at this point, I can live with the fact that only Avatar and Star Wars have made $700 million domestic.

Oh, ye of little faith! BP is re-re-expanding up to 25 theaters next week. Disney is going to get what they (and we) want!

I think they are giving declining screens from IW to BP. lol Persistent in the chase.

Oh, ye of little faith! BP is re-re-expanding up to 25 theaters next week. Disney is going to get what they (and we) want!
Awesome! I was worried there seeing that $400 figure. I don't care if the numbers fudged I want to see $700 million!:yay:

Aloha,
Oh, I'm not giving up, I just don't want BP to run until Christmas just to make the mark.If it happens within the normal time that other Marvel movies have been in theaters then great, I said it a while back, if Disney would just re release it for a few weeks, it would put it over the top.I can already see Forbes.com adjusting for inflation and it goes over $700 million.Either way, it will be the third movie in US domestic history to hit $700 million or third highest domestic even if it doesn't make $700 million.

Can't any Disney execs just buy the all remaining seats for the week?
It would be even less than pocket change for them.
In fact why have they not done that months ago?

Can't any Disney execs just buy the all remaining seats for the week?
It would be even less than pocket change for them.
In fact why have they not done that months ago?

To say the least, that'd be taking the cheap way out. Personally, I'd rather achieve such a milestone legitimately rather than always thinking "yep, it made $700 million in N.A. but I had to push it there by using my own money instead of letting it get there naturally."

Looks like the 10 theater expansion is putting Black Panther over $700,000,000 this weekend...maybe as early as today given that yesterday's (Thursday's) numbers exploded from $400 on Wednesday to $12,594! It's now up to $699,969,026 leaving it only $30,974 short. Christopher Robin double feature?

Last edited:
Yeah, as expected(at least to me...), they were waiting for Christopher Robin to come out so they could boost it with double features this weekend.

That's why they didn't bother to continue giving theaters incentives this past week. Why bother with cost-ineffective incentives if you're going to boost it with double features the week after anyway.

Looks like the long road to $700M DOM is finally going to come to an end this weekend, lol. It's been a long time coming.

It had a 3048.5% day to day jump, that's got to be some kind of record lol.

Still can't believe people are seeing this in theaters when it's out on home media already.

Wakanda Forever!!

Avengers 4 May be and that's a big maybe might be able to cross $700M domestic next year, especially if it ends with an epically triumphant victory for the heroes.

Yeah, Disney should have something earlier when it wouldn’t have needed as much of a boost.

Wakanda Forever!!

Avengers 4 May be and that's a big maybe might be able to cross $700M domestic next year, especially if it ends with an epically triumphant victory for the heroes.

Hopefully. Will be nice to get another $700m film on the board. And if not, then a 4th $600m plus film wouldn’t be bad.

Still can't believe people are seeing this in theaters when it's out on home media already.

It's different in a theater. I want to see IW one more time on the big screen before it goes, that will be viewing #5.

Just $15,000 to go - that means today is the big day!

$300M:csh::applaud

$400M:csh::db:

$500M:csh::pcg:

$600M:csh::jd:
$700M:csh::bow:

Aloha,
Black Panther will now pass $700 million today, sitting comfortably at its throne as the most successful Marvel film, also biggest solo-superhero film to ever grace the silver screen and one of the highest grossing films of all time. You heard that right -- neither Batman nor an Avengers team-up film have anything on T'Challa.

The projection comes after some unexpected theater earnings on Thursday and Friday, according to a report from Forbes. This is unheard of as the movie enters its 170th day of release, and only two other films have topped the $700 million mark, with Avatar and Star Wars: The Force Awakens respectively at the top two. Avengers: Infinity War follows closely behind Black Panther as the 4th highest grossing movie domestically, with $678 million of earnings. The movie was a culmination of a decade worth of Marvel films and also featured Black Panther and his world of Wakanda.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2455126/black-panther-just-crossed-another-box-office-milestone?utm_source=followistic&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=followistic#flw_c=email&flw_n=5b668f755313545aae95a39e

As of August 3, 2018
Domestic: $699,985,026 52.0%
+ Foreign: $646,674,251 48.0%
= Worldwide: $1,346,659,277

$700M!!!

CWYG3So.png

5L2fHzt.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts