Blade Runner 2049 - Part 4

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Thread Manager, Oct 26, 2017.

?

Rate the Movie

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

I respectfully disagree too, but I will just say that I understand your love for the original, try to judge the sequel on it's own terms instead of comparing it. I'm not saying it'll change your mind on it, but when you do compare it to something you love so much, inevitably, it will always fall short and it will have an unfair disadvantage.

The sequel has already been praised, so it's not a thing like the original where its reputation will grow over time, but I truly think the sequel will stand the test of time and be known as the one revival that surpassed expectations in this era of revivals in a film historical context, but in general, just a timeless film in it's own right. And one of the best sequels ever made.

flickchick85 and Batmannerism like this.
  2. Da-Scribe <-- Me

Blade Runner-themed pop-up bar coming to LA in November.

[​IMG]

3. Batmannerism Super-unknown

First, sincere thanks for showing such class in your response. Respectful disagreement is the only way our species can move forward.

Given that 2049 is a sequel and continues the storyline of the original I think it's impossible not to make comparisons.

If I could judge it on its own merits I would say it was a good and visually impressive film - but my original criticism of Gosling wandering around looking blank would stand. I Still would have enjoyed Hoek's psychotic replicant villain.
    ( can't help but compare Lego with Joe Turkell as Tyrell, and while creepy and evil he comes up short otherwise - plus we don't get the satisfaction of seeing his eyes pushed into his skull before it gets crushed).

Honestly, 2049 didn't do enough to engage me, at least Scott infused BR's action sequences with a frantic and desperate energy. But that's just IMO.

You're right, that time will tell as to what legacy 2049 leaves. Will it be considered a good film ? Probably. Will it become a classic ( not a word I use lightly) ? We'll see.

4. StarLord < < < < < < <

5. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

2049 definitely left sequel opportunities open IMO. But if Villeneuve wants to do this, go lower budget and let him tell whatever story he wants.

6. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Given how much money the last one made, I don't see this ever materializing. But I would be all for it

Blackman likes this.
  7. Joe Von Zombie Hell yeah!

Blade Runner on GOG.com

They finally got this thing running on modern systems. It was a pain in the ass to get running otherwise.

8. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

Usually I'd say no but Villenueve wanting to return and something disconnected would be great. As long as it's noir.

9. David H. We’re not owed anything.

Remake/reimagining of Soldier with Dave Bautista? I’d watch it.

10. OutOfBoose ⊃∪∩⪽ 2020

I'd be up for another BR from DV. Especially considering that would be something stand-alone. Sequelitis damaged BR49.

But it's not gonna happen.

11. Brother Jack The Penitent Man

At this point I'm all-in on anything Villenueve wants to do. He's earned a place in that upper echelon of directors whom I will watch whatever they do.

Closerframe and Blackman like this.
  12. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

It breaks my heart that this film didn't do better financial or snag any big awards. It was damn near perfect, albeit a tad slow. It surpassed the original in pretty much every way for me. Anyway, I'd be all for returning to the Blade Runner world if it happens.

13. Closerframe Registered

If he can develop a smaller story with a smaller budget, I can see WB letting him do another.

OutOfBoose and Deck Rickard like this.
  14. Gothamsknight Registered

I'd love this with every fiber of my being.

15. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

I feel like the Denis had ideas in mind for a third installment, given how BR2049 ended. Because it felt like a war was coming at the end of that movie. Though a movie about a full-on replicant/human war wouldn't feel very Blade Runner to me, so maybe Denis just wanted to plant those seeds but not actually make another film about that. I know he's doing the "I don't make sequels" thing now but if the first one had been a big hit, I think he might have done a full-on sequel.

16. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I’m not gonna hold my breath, but if he somehow gets this made I’ll be there opening day.