Blade Runner 2049 - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I applaud your honesty but I couldn't disagree more on everything you said, as I see BR as Ford at his minimalistic best - whereas Gosling was straight out dull. Even Robin Wright didn't shine in that film. The only performances that really stood out were Hoek and DeArmas.

Hoek really stood out and there was some real cleverness in the character's design Probably the most disturbing scene in the film was where Wallace purposely murders Luv's newborn clone in front of her - probably to intentionally drive her insane enough to enjoy murdering people. It does a lot to establish her character - but she still doesn't hold a candle to Roy Batty.

However, I respect your opinion. We must agree to disagree. I will say though that it remains to be seen whether 2049 will have anywhere near the legacy or influence of BR - which, IMHO is one of the, if not the greatest sci-fi films of all time.

I respectfully disagree too, but I will just say that I understand your love for the original, try to judge the sequel on it's own terms instead of comparing it. I'm not saying it'll change your mind on it, but when you do compare it to something you love so much, inevitably, it will always fall short and it will have an unfair disadvantage.

The sequel has already been praised, so it's not a thing like the original where its reputation will grow over time, but I truly think the sequel will stand the test of time and be known as the one revival that surpassed expectations in this era of revivals in a film historical context, but in general, just a timeless film in it's own right. And one of the best sequels ever made.

Blade Runner-themed pop-up bar coming to LA in November.

giphy.gif

I respectfully disagree too, but I will just say that I understand your love for the original, try to judge the sequel on it's own terms instead of comparing it. I'm not saying it'll change your mind on it, but when you do compare it to something you love so much, inevitably, it will always fall short and it will have an unfair disadvantage.

The sequel has already been praised, so it's not a thing like the original where its reputation will grow over time, but I truly think the sequel will stand the test of time and be known as the one revival that surpassed expectations in this era of revivals in a film historical context, but in general, just a timeless film in it's own right. And one of the best sequels ever made.

First, sincere thanks for showing such class in your response. Respectful disagreement is the only way our species can move forward.

Given that 2049 is a sequel and continues the storyline of the original I think it's impossible not to make comparisons.

If I could judge it on its own merits I would say it was a good and visually impressive film - but my original criticism of Gosling wandering around looking blank would stand. I Still would have enjoyed Hoek's psychotic replicant villain.
( can't help but compare Lego with Joe Turkell as Tyrell, and while creepy and evil he comes up short otherwise - plus we don't get the satisfaction of seeing his eyes pushed into his skull before it gets crushed).

Honestly, 2049 didn't do enough to engage me, at least Scott infused BR's action sequences with a frantic and desperate energy. But that's just IMO.

You're right, that time will tell as to what legacy 2049 leaves. Will it be considered a good film ? Probably. Will it become a classic ( not a word I use lightly) ? We'll see.

Speaking to Empire in the 100 Greatest Movies of the Century issue (Blade Runner 2049 came in at number 45 on the list), Villeneuve looked back at his experience working on the film – and hinted that he might not be done with that universe yet. “It’s such an inspiring place, the Blade Runner world,” he says – adding that he would be interested in another movie if it was ‘unconnected’ from the first two. “The problem is have is the word ‘sequel’. I think cinema needs original stories. But if you ask me if I’d like to revisit this universe in a different way, I can say yes. It would need to be a project on its own. Something disconnected from both other movies. A detective noir story set in the future… I wake up sometimes in the night dreaming about it.”

2049 definitely left sequel opportunities open IMO. But if Villeneuve wants to do this, go lower budget and let him tell whatever story he wants.

Given how much money the last one made, I don't see this ever materializing. But I would be all for it

Usually I'd say no but Villenueve wanting to return and something disconnected would be great. As long as it's noir.

Remake/reimagining of Soldier with Dave Bautista? I’d watch it.

I'd be up for another BR from DV. Especially considering that would be something stand-alone. Sequelitis damaged BR49.

But it's not gonna happen.

At this point I'm all-in on anything Villenueve wants to do. He's earned a place in that upper echelon of directors whom I will watch whatever they do.

It breaks my heart that this film didn't do better financial or snag any big awards. It was damn near perfect, albeit a tad slow. It surpassed the original in pretty much every way for me. Anyway, I'd be all for returning to the Blade Runner world if it happens.

I feel like the Denis had ideas in mind for a third installment, given how BR2049 ended. Because it felt like a war was coming at the end of that movie. Though a movie about a full-on replicant/human war wouldn't feel very Blade Runner to me, so maybe Denis just wanted to plant those seeds but not actually make another film about that. I know he's doing the "I don't make sequels" thing now but if the first one had been a big hit, I think he might have done a full-on sequel.

I’m not gonna hold my breath, but if he somehow gets this made I’ll be there opening day.

That furnace scene is my favorite scene in any movie of the last decade. That's where it surpassed the original film.

‘Blade Runner: Black Lotus’ Sets Voice Cast For Adult Swim Series – Deadline

Adult Swim and Crunchyroll have revealed the characters and stellar English and Japanese voice cast of its anticipated animated series Blade Runner: Black Lotus, inspired by the Blade Runner movie franchise.

Cast includes Jessica Henwick, Arisa Shida, Will Yun Lee, Shinshu Fuji, Samira Wiley, Takako Honda, Brian Cox, Wes Bentley, Josh Duhamel, Taiten Kusunoki, Peyton List, Yoshiko Sakakibara, Stephen Root, Hochu Otsuka, Barkhad Abdi, Takayuki Kinba, Gregg Henry, Masane Tsukayama, Henry Czerny, Akio Nojima, Jason Spisak and Kazuki Yao.

Shinji Aramaki (Appleseed) and Kenji Kamiyama (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex) will direct all 13 episodes. The series is produced by Alcon Entertainment and animation studio Sola Digital Arts, with Shinichiro Watanabe serving as a creative producer.

Henwick/Shida voice Elle, a female replicant created for a secret and unknown purpose. Lee/Fuji voice Joseph, a mysterious figure who owns a spare parts junkyard in Los Angeles. Wiley/Hona voice Alani Davis, a fresh LAPD recruit. Cox/Hashi voice Niander Wallace Sr, founder and CEO of the Wallace Corporation. Bentley/Koyasu voice Niander Wallace Jr, brilliant scientist working for his father. Duhamel/Kusunoki voice Marlowe, a deadly Blade Runner. List/Sakakibara voice Josephine Grant, the wife of the police chief. Root/Otsuka voice Earl Grant, Police Chief of the LAPD. Abdi/Kinba voice Doc Badger, a black market dealer. Henry/Tsukayama voice Senator Bannister, a politician with strong feelings on replicant production. Spisak/Yao voice Hooper, a journalist in the pocket of the Wallace Corporation.

Adult Swim will air the English language version on the network’s anime programming block Toonami and Crunchyroll will stream the series in Japanese with subtitles. Both will offer the series to viewers worldwide outside of Asia.

A first look at the series will be unveiled during the show’s online panel beginning at 5 pm PT/8 pm ET on July 23 at Comic-Con@Home 2021. Panelists will include Aramaki, Kamiyama, Joseph Chou, (executive producer), Wes Gleason (voice director), Henwick (voice of Elle), and Jason DeMarco (co-creator of Toonami/senior vice-president and creative director for Adult Swim/moderator).

I love these films! The original is stunning in every way. I'll even go so far to say the special effects for that time were so impressive and stood out to me more than even Star Wars (thats not a diss to Star Wars by any means).

2049, what a sequel! I have enjoyed a lot of the unexpected "20 to 30 plus years later" sequels that have come over the past several years. But this was one that was pretty much a near perfect of a sequel/revisit thats ever been done falling in that type of sequel category.

I'd welcome more Blade Runner content of any kind

Blade Runner 1982 is an absolute classic in every sense. Blade Runner 2049 is easily one of the greatest sequels ever made, and I actually rank it above the first one. I still feel like 2049 doesn't get the praise it deserves. It should have at least gotten a best picture nod at the oscars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"