Bought/Thought 28/11/07

I'm still pissed about that restaurant that not only "corrected" my French, but "corrected" how my French lifestyle should be. :cmad:

And now they get comics on time, where America doesn't?! :cmad:

Screw them and their 19 year old drinking age! :cmad:

I'm still pissed about that restaurant that not only "corrected" my French, but "corrected" how my French lifestyle should be. :cmad:

Why? English speaking people correct English speaking all the time. For example, If somone with English as a second language corrected by use of "ain't", I'd no reason to be upset.

French Canadians speak a bastardized version of French though.

Why? English speaking people correct English speaking all the time. For example, If somone with English as a second language corrected by use of "ain't", I'd no reason to be upset.

No no, if you said "aint" and nobody cared, that's one thing. Even if someone said, "You know, it is actually 'isn't'." But when they say, "What? That isn't even a WORD, it makes no sense."

I don't care if they speak a dialect of a language, but they can't use it to correct another language altogether. :o

It's like using American English to correct Stamford English, it just doesn't make sense, when they're two different dialects.

Though, I agree, I don't know many people who actually perfectly use a language to it's full intended use. :csad:

About 99.9% of people speak a bastardized version of any language.
True, but only French has an official, government-backed organization that tells French-speakers they're speaking bastardized versions of the language.

In some ways, I almost envy French for that. You know, if it weren't inferior to English and all.

True, but only French has an official, government-backed organization that tells French-speakers they're speaking bastardized versions of the language.

In some ways, I almost envy French for that. You know, if it weren't inferior to English and all.
Actually, less than a decade ago, we actually started allowing other languages in schools (like second language classes) to be used officially in France, where we've spent centuries trying to stamp out other languages. Before, we just didn't allow them to go to school unless they could utilize the French language correctly.

Several times, politicians would have to take supplementary speaking and language classes, because the people themselves might not vote them in unless they spoke perfect French.

It's because the French elite live under the tyrannical thumb of the Academie francaise. If only English had an Academy to control it. We might've been spared hearing the most powerful man in the free world mispronounce "nuclear" for the last seven years. :(

Let's put it this way. We love our language so much, we force the leader of the UN to speak it.

The rest of the world noticed. :o

Actually, a lot of us weren't happy when the UN leader couldn't use French that well. Many called into question his right to lead the UN on it, actually.

That's not true. They issue sanctions and tell world leaders they're being very naughty. :o

They also lead the world in being imcompetent to pursue the mandates they put forth.

"America, don't go to war."

"Screw you."

"Well...We tried at least."

They're somehow BETTER than the inept League of Nations? Pah! :o

French Canadians speak a bastardized version of French though.

Only the French Canadians that live in Quebec.

The French Canadians that live in the Maritimes speak an older form of french from 17th century France, and it differs greatly compared to Quebec French, and is a lot similar to France French.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

:yay:

Modern English has more in common with Old French than modern French does. :)

Only the French Canadians that live in Quebec.

The French Canadians that live in the Maritimes speak an older form of french from 17th century France, and it differs greatly compared to Quebec French, and is a lot similar to France French.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

:yay:

"France French"?

It's the French ordained for proper use in France.

But we just call it French.

you americans,comics don't come in for a day or 2 and you're spamming as if it's the end of the world

Wow...I saw a full two pages of Bought/Thought, and wondered how so many people got comics. I should have known The Hype could easily fill a whole thread with nothing but b#tching and moaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"