BOUGHT/THOUGHT Dec. 20th Edition

Roughneck

Avenger
Reaction score
52 #33 - I need to read 32 FIRST

Front Line #9 - I missed 7 and 8, I wanna track them down beofre i read this one.

Ms Marvel #10

War Crimes - I only bought this cause it's written by Tieri and let me say I was glad that I did. I suggest to you all that you should read this, it isn't really even a huge tie into Civil War but it's great, If you've been enjoying Brubaker's Daredevil Run then you need to read this, it's great. There are some nice little surprises too, Highlights.....Slyde is dead...again, the return of UNDERWORLD, that was frikking awesome, I hope we see mroe of him, I don't really think he could maintain an ongoing or even another Mini anytime soon, but more appearances like this are just what the doctor ordered for my Underworld fix. Anyway there are some nice little twists, this is far better than Illumiati I'll tell you that. Go Buy it and read it. 9/10 It might have been a perfect ten but there was one piece of art that really bothered me.....it was a few pages in Fist is grabbing the table...I know that it is perspective ans his hand is supposed to be close to the "camera" but it just makes him look like he has a giant hand.

New Avengers: Illuminatii #1 - This was a nice mindless read, It almost felt kinda not Bendis....but since it was Bendis I will say a few things. I didn't like Iron man Kicking the hell out of Skulls without any armor, If the Illuminati told the Skrulls that they would kick all kinds of ass if the ever attacked Earth again....why didn't they, Skrulls attack earth twice a week, but the illuminati has never teamed up and kicked all kinda of ass. And I think they were a little quick to kill all of the Skrulls on that ship.....It just seemed odd For Some of them to kill that many skrulls and be fine with it, I know they weren't exactly fine (Except for Namor) but it seemed like killing all of them was aption A.5....they just went for it quicker than I think these guys would....Anyway I recomend it, the art is nice the fights are cool, the ending is quite rushed, they rescue one guy a panel and we don't even see Black Bolt Rescued.....I dunno, if it didn't have Bendis' name on it it would score higher...and that saddens me that I roll that way. Oh well 5/10

Cable & Deadpool #35

X-men: First Class #4 - I have to read 3 first

Earth Mightiest Heroes #4 - I'll be honest, I haven't read one of these yet, I think now I'll wait for all 8.

New Avengers #26

She Hulk #14 - Now this was a good issue, I still don't like Dan Slott getting second rate artists, he should get Pelletier back or Divio, but even with some flat and bland art this book still kicked a little ass, Awesome Andy Ass that is. Really very little She Hulk in this issue at all. But that's good once and a while cause Andy rules. It get's us prepped for the next arc too. Either way I wonder if Danny Boy has future plans for Andy or if he's just letting him go to one day fall into the hands of another writer.

Ultimate Spiderman #103 - Okay, that clinches it, I am done, I am done with the Ultimate Universe, I AM DONE, God War and UXM sucking ass were getting me closer, but Dr. Magnetoctopus was the last straw, that's just dumb, well it's pretty stupid anyway, I will at least finish up this arc, but then I am done...well I'll prolly still get the Ultimates, but that is it. Oh and who didn't know Peter's Dad was a clone the second he showed up? Anyone? Anyone?

TPBs:

Howard the Duck (Max)

Formerly Known as the Justice League

The Omac Project

It was really really odd, I was looking at the racks thinking what a slow week it would be, so i picked up my comics one by one and then all of a sudden I had a rather large lot of comics....Odd.

Big week:

CABLE & DEADPOOL #35
NEW AVENGERS #26
IRON MAN #14 CW
IRON MAN CAPTAIN AMERICA CASUALTIES OF WAR ONE SHOT CW
MS MARVEL #10
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #103

Reviews up soon.

I guess we should merge this one with the other one.

Ha, ha. You didn't and you edited.

you know the depressing thing two bought/though threads and not a single review in either of them.

:(

I've already sent out a request to the mods.

I deem this to be the official one.

Yes but half of yours is not in caps, beat that.

Well that's just not fair. Wait so, it still has my thread title but it's Roughs thread.

HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa!

good Match X...Good Match

But DP already deemed mine the official one :csad: .

oh, what the bloody hell?!? :mad:

Wow, three books and not an X-title among them. That's got to be a first for me.

Civil War: Front Line #9

I continue to enjoy this secondary Civil War miniseries. I'm genuinely mystified about where the central conspiracy plot of this series is headed, because everyone points to Iron Man being responsible (certainly his final panel this week in meant to make people think he is, or else has tolerated someone else's actions), but I just can't see that being the case; if it were, Marvel absolutely could not justify their statements that Iron Man is being portrayed at all sympathetically in this event (already a somewhat dubious statement). Sally's interview with Captain America also goes in an unexpected direction when she walks out, having determined he has nothing new to say; one could almost take this as Jenkins' acknowledgement that the arguments advanced by both sides in this conflict have become incredibly repetitive. I skipped the final segment, per usual. Speedball's story has been the most interesting one throughout most of this miniseries, but I now find his segments somewhat dull, and the conspiracy elements more interesting. Speedball now appears to have been transformed into someone whose powers operate on how much pain he is in; kinky! And he's now looking rather creepy, asking to sign up for Registration.

Iron Man #14

I enjoyed this issue of Iron Man much more than the last one; you get a much more interesting study of Tony, who spends most of the issue being stalked by someone trying to get a moment alone with him (the identity of the person turned out to be someone I had not considered at all, and the conversation when Tony finally talks to the Invisible Woman is interesting [she has a rather condescending view of Mr. Fantastic, and blames Iron Man for everything]). Tony also makes a decision that is pretty incredible and (within the context of modern comic storytelling, which tends to stretch things out) kind of abrupt: he seemingly euthanizes (at the urging of a loved one and the Invisible Woman) a supporting castmember who has been around since Tales of Suspense #45 (Iron Man first appeared in TOS #39). This also seems to be "Cap talks to Iron Man" week, because Iron Man contacts Cap to find out if he was in any way involved in Spymaster's attack on Happy Hogan last issue; this leads to a fight scene with Luke Cage, Spider-Man, Silhouette, and Ultra Girl. Exactly what happens to trigger this fight is completely unclear to me, but it seems like the Secret Avengers decided to attack without any provocation; Iron Man hands them their asses, however, including revealing to Spider-Man that Tony has not only figured out how to control Peter's Spider-Sense (such as sending him false positives, or nullifying it), but he has made a version of it for himself. The writing is quite good, but I find the art somewhat lacklustre. Also, featuring a one-panel silent cameo by Stature!

New Avengers: Illuminati #1

And, finally, we have the Illuminati miniseries, cowritten by Brian Michael Bendis and Brian Reed, and illustrated by the wonderful Jim Cheung of Young Avengers (sigh; I hold out hope we'll see them again within the next year). This recaps the Illuminati's first adventure after founding the cabal in the aftermath of the first Kree-Skrull War, as they tell the Skrulls to stay away from Planet Earth. Things get off to an explodingly-good start, but sour pretty quickly for the Illuminati, as they spend the issue in a variety of customizing torture devices (Reed's is particularly painful to look at). All in all, it's a good start for the miniseries, with some fantastic Jim Cheung art (although, Dammit, Jim, give us some different goddamn facial types). Tony gets the most focus in this issue, I suppose, and gets to defeat a bunch of Skrull guards while naked and on the verge of a heart attack. The other five each get some action moments, and show off what their powers are. I thought the team seemed a bit underpowered at first, but then this is the Silver Age, when everybody was less powerful, and Strange's power levels are never consistent (for the record, I much prefer the levels of power here, which makes him less of a deus ex machina). There's one bizarre continuity error/omission here, where Black Bolt seemingly kills everyone on the Skrull flagship, only to have the Emperor just show up at the end, still alive without explanation. A lot of people are buying this just for the art, and it's worth it; we get Cheung drawing the Illuminati, the Skrulls, the Thomas-era Avengers (no Giant-Man, though), and Galactus. This is structured as a series of one-shots, but the final moments suggest the Skrull Emperor's little ploy will outlive him (although, if he survived that explosion, I don't see why he couldn't survive the destruction of the Throneworld) and come back to bite the team in the present day. Next issue, the team tackles the Infinity Gauntlet.

this'll contain spoilers, so if you don't want to know anything, don't read anymore.

after reading frontline #9, and keeping in mind what we know about mighty avengers, i have no idea how civil war is going to end.

jenkins has alluded that the "traitor" in tony's midsts is hank pym. as tony takes reed away to talk to him about their problem, pym can be seen looking on quietly. tony reveals to reed that he knows who screwed with norman osborne's nannites, and that he's known all along.

okay. that leads one to believe that tony knows that pym is responsible. we also know from frank cho that pym will be be around, if not a member, of the mighty avengers.

that leads ME to believe one of a few things:

1. hank pym is in fact NOT responsible for going against the pro-reg guys. jenkins is effing with us. this makes me think that reed IS the traitor, and the private conversation (which was cut short), was the beginning of tony calling reed out. this makes sense because we know that susan and johnny storm are against the registration, as well as storm and t'challa. we also know that when civil war is over, t'challa and storm fill in for reed and sue while they work on their marriage. meaning, that the fantastic four is not broken up; instead, two of them are just taking some time off. now, if reed is still pro-reg at the end of civil war, why would sue and johnny (and ben) come back to the four? not to mention storm and t-challa, who would have no reason to help out those they oppose (if reed was still pro-reg). i think this is the soundest theory. reed is the traitor, sue comes back to him, the fantastic four can resume as being wholly against the registration, and anti-reg friends like storm and the black panther can help out while reed and sue sit on the sidelines for a bit.

BUT.

2. if hank pym IS responsible, then the person in the iron man armor come mighty avengers time is not tony stark. remember, the only image of stark shown in the mighty avengers preview has what looked like a flashback. why would tony continue to work with and trust a traitor? perhaps something happens to tony before pym can be publically revealed. perhaps pym kills tony. granted, that's a LONGshot. but it helps to flesh out the "tony might not be in the armor" that marvel likes to tease us with.

which, to be honest, i don't see happening anyway.

I dont think its Pym, I just dont see the dialogue matching up with him.

CaptainCanada said:
Iron Man #14

I enjoyed this issue of Iron Man much more than the last one; you get a much more interesting study of Tony, who spends most of the issue being stalked by someone trying to get a moment alone with him (the identity of the person turned out to be someone I had not considered at all, and the conversation when Tony finally talks to the Invisible Woman is interesting [she has a rather condescending view of Mr. Fantastic, and blames Iron Man for everything]). Tony also makes a decision that is pretty incredible and (within the context of modern comic storytelling, which tends to stretch things out) kind of abrupt: he seemingly euthanizes (at the urging of a loved one and the Invisible Woman) a supporting castmember who has been around since Tales of Suspense #45 (Iron Man first appeared in TOS #39). This also seems to be "Cap talks to Iron Man" week, because Iron Man contacts Cap to find out if he was in any way involved in Spymaster's attack on Happy Hogan last issue; this leads to a fight scene with Luke Cage, Spider-Man, Silhouette, and Ultra Girl. Exactly what happens to trigger this fight is completely unclear to me, but it seems like the Secret Avengers decided to attack without any provocation; Iron Man hands them their asses, however, including revealing to Spider-Man that Tony has not only figured out how to control Peter's Spider-Sense (such as sending him false positives, or nullifying it), but he has made a version of it for himself. The writing is quite good, but I find the art somewhat lacklustre. Also, featuring a one-panel silent cameo by Stature!

I have to say that this is one of my favorite tie-ins to Civil War. Not only does Iron Man act completely badass (creating a Spider-Sense for himself and kicking Spider-Man's, Luke Cage's and two no namers' asses), he doesn't come off as a completely unsensitive prick that we've seen in tie-ins such as Black Panther and Front Line, and that the Secret Avengers are willing to do some rather shadey things also.

The scene between Sue and Tony was also done quite well

I find the art to be quite good, it just doesn't really fit for Iron Man though if you ask me.

Like Cable & Deadpool, I'm definetely keeping this book beyond Civil War

Iron Man #14

I liked this issue a lot too...the thing is all the books dealing with Tony this week including Civil War War Crimes and Captain America and Ironman did make Tony's actions more understandable without making him neccessarily more right or justified in his present course. I also found it interesting that Tony looks upon it as Peter having been the one to betray him and denied Cap's painfully obvious assertion that Tony has been shamelessly manipulating Peter the entire time. The thing is I think Tony actually believed both those statements which better than anything shows the level of self-deception he practices. One thing I didn't go for wasn't Sue blaming Tony for everything including the collapse of her marriage, (hey a lot of the fans think it too, so I get Sue,) but that she said Reed "idolizes" Tony. I've never gotten that vibe at all. If anything Mr. Fantastic is sometimes "above" Tony in terms of scientific achievement, personal powers, and let's face it relevance to matters on a cosmic scale. One other thing this week I liked a lot was getting Aunt May's perspective in Sensational Spiderman-though why the hell she was shown as being the exact same age in flashbacks as she is now was beyond me.

Darthphere said:
I dont think its Pym, I just dont see the dialogue matching up with him.

honestly, i don't either. however, if you've read frontline #9, you'll see what i mean about jenkins alluding to pym.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"