Bought/Thought January 2nd, 2009

However I don't approve of Dread's new avatar...

Yeah I gotta be honest, the old one had a charm that this one kinda lacks.

I changed it to some Eastman/Laird artwork for the 25th anniversary of TMNT. Depending on my mood I may change it after May, which was when TMNT #1 first printed.

Yeah but you get sick of same villains fighting the same heroes over and over again, it gets kinda boring after a few decades. Back in the silver age villains were way less strict about having set heroes to fight, a silver age issue could have a villain appear from a different series, just to mix things up.
Back in the Silver age, red Skull killed Peter Parker's parents, that's way more out of the blue then this.

Besides they can easily come with a reason for this villain to fight the x-men, he is a villain, he doesn't need much motivation to fight heroes: maybe he was hired to it by someone else, maybe he wants to steal their tech, maybe he thinks if he can kill the X-men he will become famous or maybe he wants to rob their house. The fact is the X-Men have been shut off from the rest of MU over the past 20 years, so I think some more interaction and having them fight villains from other series could be fun.

I don't read WOLVERINE so I may be a bit ignorant of some things about it. I just figured that from a dramatic standpoint, tricking Wolverine into slaughtering his own teammates should be a dramatic and tragic thing, and it would be made more so by a villain who had some particular grudge against the X-Men. Mysterio had none.

The Red Skull killing Peter's parents made sense because they were spies. It wasn't even the real Red Skull, either. Spider-Man is also a bit of an exception; he fights everything and anything.

I'm fine with other villains interacting with the X-Men, but the idea of, "in a dark, alternate future, the X-Men are destroyed forever by...MYSTERIO!" just seems more random than effective to me. Surely there were other figures who would have fit the bill. Too many people mistake "random" for "funny/innovative".

It would be funny if the X-Men started fighting some of Wonder Man's old villains since they are on his turf, though.

Unexpected = "awesome moment".

Comic writing isn't always about narrative. It is about surprises and attention. Like being a class clown, only at four figures an issue.

And complaining about comics isn't always about being cool. It is about having nothing better to due and starving off suicide one more day. Like being the lonely kid in class, you know the one that dreams about killing everyone.

And complaining about comics isn't always about being cool. It is about having nothing better to due and starving off suicide one more day. Like being the lonely kid in class, you know the one that dreams about killing everyone.

My question is, what is worse? Having nothing better to do than complain about some comics, or having even less to do that you complain about the complaining?

I also never thought having an issue with a particular plot in a comic meant I wanted to go on a shooting rampage or kill myself. Talk about jumping to conclusions.

My question is, what is worse? Having nothing better to do than complain about some comics, or having even less to do that you complain about the complaining?

I also never thought having an issue with a particular plot in a comic meant I wanted to go on a shooting rampage or kill myself. Talk about jumping to conclusions.

Did mean to hurt your feelings, just thought that since you dish out so much crap on here that you could take some, but now I see that you can't. So I'll back off, I don't like to make 40 year-old men cry. ***** away and write 10,000+ word reviews of comics you claim to hate, but just can't stop reading.

-Allen Elswick.

Incognito #1

The temporary replacement for Criminal, this miniseries comes almost like Brubaker and Phillips' take on the premise of Millar and Jones' Wanted: a superpowered guy who finds himself confined to a dull life in a world that has no knowledge of him and finds himself drawn to rejoining the game. Obviously, it's a lot more subdued than Wanted. I was initially a bit put off by the tone, which is almost a total replica of Criminal, which makes references to superpowers and people with names like "Ava Destruction", "the Overkill Brothers", and "Professor Zeppelin" kind of stand out as a bit dumb. But once you get used to it, much like the modern-ish dialogue in Northlanders, it works fine.

Dangit! I wouldn't have bothered with Incognito if I knew it was a mini. Oh well.

I changed it to some Eastman/Laird artwork for the 25th anniversary of TMNT. Depending on my mood I may change it after May, which was when TMNT #1 first printed.

I don't read WOLVERINE so I may be a bit ignorant of some things about it. I just figured that from a dramatic standpoint, tricking Wolverine into slaughtering his own teammates should be a dramatic and tragic thing, and it would be made more so by a villain who had some particular grudge against the X-Men. Mysterio had none.

The Red Skull killing Peter's parents made sense because they were spies. It wasn't even the real Red Skull, either. Spider-Man is also a bit of an exception; he fights everything and anything.

I'm fine with other villains interacting with the X-Men, but the idea of, "in a dark, alternate future, the X-Men are destroyed forever by...MYSTERIO!" just seems more random than effective to me. Surely there were other figures who would have fit the bill. Too many people mistake "random" for "funny/innovative".

It would be funny if the X-Men started fighting some of Wonder Man's old villains since they are on his turf, though.

Dread, you keep missing the point: the villains are cooperating with each other to wipe out the heroes. So instead of indulging in old grudges that have proved fruitless over the past 40+ years, they've (apparently) been mixing and matching which villains take on which heroes. For example, as others have mentioned, instead of Thor being taken down by Loki, he's defeated by Magneto.

In this case, Logan is deceived precisely because he's dealing with a villain he's never encountered before. You're complaining about Millar putting shock before logic, and while the moment was shocking, it's also logical for the villains to throw someone at Logan that he has no history with. That's the only way he'd fall for it.

You're looking for dramatic weight where, logically, none should exist. If the X-Men are finally going to be taken down, it isn't going to be because Magneto or Sinister finally got lucky after decades of failures, it's because they were blindsided by someone they aren't used to. It actually reminds me of No Country for Old Men, in that regard.

But the flip side of that is, you know Shadow King did it and have yet another Shadow King/ X-men fight, which we have seen a million times before. Yawn. Just in general, I like it comics switch up villains and have the heroes fight someone they haven't before and they almost never do that with the X-Men Also I like Mysterio, I think his time is due to be a bigger player. I think I like this idea more then you do and I would be less likely to dismiss it so easily. You what, it just sounds like fun, the kind fun you get in the old Silver Age comics, where a villain from another comic would menace a different hero, just because it could fun tale to tell.

Did mean to hurt your feelings, just thought that since you dish out so much crap on here that you could take some, but now I see that you can't. So I'll back off, I don't like to make 40 year-old men cry. ***** away and write 10,000+ word reviews of comics you claim to hate, but just can't stop reading.

-Allen Elswick.

You didn't hurt my feelings. Don't worry. Good luck on the trolling thing, though. :up:

Dread, you keep missing the point: the villains are cooperating with each other to wipe out the heroes. So instead of indulging in old grudges that have proved fruitless over the past 40+ years, they've (apparently) been mixing and matching which villains take on which heroes. For example, as others have mentioned, instead of Thor being taken down by Loki, he's defeated by Magneto.

In this case, Logan is deceived precisely because he's dealing with a villain he's never encountered before. You're complaining about Millar putting shock before logic, and while the moment was shocking, it's also logical for the villains to throw someone at Logan that he has no history with. That's the only way he'd fall for it.

You're looking for dramatic weight where, logically, none should exist. If the X-Men are finally going to be taken down, it isn't going to be because Magneto or Sinister finally got lucky after decades of failures, it's because they were blindsided by someone they aren't used to. It actually reminds me of No Country for Old Men, in that regard.

Still sounds an awful lot like WANTED, only with WOLVERINE.

The problem with alternate futures is they usually exist as safe excuses to slaughter characters who one could never slaughter. Old school WHAT IF issues usually did the same thing.

It just feels off to me. But to each their own.

Wasn't Millar's FF HC supposed to come out?

FF also skipped a month. That may have delayed the release of the HC. Still, it has been 9 issues so the first 5 or so could have been collected somewhere.

But the flip side of that is, you know Shadow King did it and have yet another Shadow King/ X-men fight, which we have seen a million times before. Yawn. Just in general, I like it comics switch up villains and have the heroes fight someone they haven't before and they almost never do that with the X-Men Also I like Mysterio, I think his time is due to be a bigger player. I think I like this idea more then you do and I would be less likely to dismiss it so easily. You what, it just sounds like fun, the kind fun you get in the old Silver Age comics, where a villain from another comic would menace a different hero, just because it could fun tale to tell.

I'm all for having other villains fight the X-Men. Personally I always imagined Doctor Octopus giving a bunch of them a good fight. As for actually killing them in an alternate reality, that is another story.

It's like if in some alternate future, if Daredevil was killed by Hydro-Man. Does Hydro have the power to do it? Most likely. But would it have any sort of dramatic weight? Eh, not really. There's no beef between them and they've barely met. Without emotional impact, it's just a slaughter fest, like so many EXILES stories where we find out what token threat ended an imaginary world that doesn't matter one whit to continuity. One month it is Dr. Doom, another it is orca whales. Millar is basically writing WOLVERINE: THE END: ONLY BETTER SELLING. ;)

Last edited:
Reviews presented in alphabetical order...

DOCTOR WHO: THE FORGOTTEN #5
Chan--The flashbacks continue--Tho

A recap: Our story began with the (10th) Doctor and Martha waking up in a strange, dark, empty museum type place where all of the artifacts are related to the Doctor or Time Lords in general. The Doctor has no memories of his life prior to his 10th incarnation, and there appears to be a mysterious man with a dodgy beard in a control room that's trying to steal the Doctor's remaining regenerations. Martha finds a series of items related to the Doctor's previous incarnations, and we've spent the entire miniseries watching the Doctor force himself to remember some of his "old school" adventures. When #4 ended, however, there appeared to be a twist in store when the Doctor realized that he was slowly developing memories of things that happened during his times with Donna Noble-- who he wouldn't travel with until after Martha left.

Right. So this issue starts with the Doctor questioning "Martha," who he's pretty sure is a fake because she seems to know about the TARDIS' cloisterbell (which Martha shouldn't). He wants to find out what's going on, but Martha hands him an ascot/scarf, and asks him to try to remember something about it. It turns out it's the 8th Doctor's ascot, and we're treated to a flashback...

In the flashback, we see the Doctor sitting alone in a cell, wondering how the war is going without him. The robotic guards open the doors to his cell, and toss in a cellmate: a Malmooth (Chantho's race) man named Chantir. When the Doctor hears spaceships landing nearby, he and Chantir devise a plan for them to escape from their cell. They lure the guards in when the Doctor stops his hearts and fakes his death, allowing them to steal their guns and escape. And yes, the Doctor once again snatches a gun, uses it, and then goes on about how he hates them. They free the rest of the prisoners, but then the Doctor insists that he and Chantir go to a nearby room where the Doctor finds (dun Dun DUN!) The Great Key of Rassilon! The Doctor says the key is a piece of a gun that can be used to completely remove a person from time and space. The Doctor remarks that he might want to remove millions from time and space one day, and that he might have to reformat the gun into something a lot bigger.

The flashback ends, and the Doctor remarks that in the end, he had to use the key. I know this comic isn't in real continuity, but the Doctor does mention that he saw Gallifrey burn prior to his decision to commit double-genocide, so that's at least something. Anyway, Martha decides to hand the Doctor his slightly psychic paper, which she uses to silently warn him that "everything is not as it seems." Then we jump into a 9th Doctor flashback...

In this flashback, the 9th Doctor and Rose arrive in a war trench. It's Christmas Day 1914, and they're located in France in the trenches of the Bedforshired Regiment-- so there are other Brits nearby. The Doctor, using his slightly psychic paper, pretends to be a brigadier, and proceeds to manipulate men from opposite trenches to have a temporary truce, and engage in a friendly football/soccer game. Needless to say, Rose is stunned that the Doctor actually pulled it off. After the game is done, the Doctor and Rose depart in the TARDIS, astonishing a watching officer named Major Dobbs, who convinces himself they were Christmas spirits.

When the flashback is over, the Doctor mentions how he misses Rose, but how she's trapped in a parallel world. However, the Doctor then remembers that he's seen Rose since then. The Doctor gets back to confronting Martha, who reveals that she's holding a final item that can be used to jog his memories-- his fob watch. When the Doctor opens it, he's flooded with memories of the Master/Harold Saxon, Astrid's death, the psychics of Pompei, and Donna's grandfather Wilfred-- all events that happened after Martha left the Doctor. With all of his memories back, the Doctor confronts "Martha," who he knows to be a fake. Whoever she is, however, she has been helping him. "Martha" confesses that she's not Martha, but she knows her because she knows every companion that passes through her doors, and she herself is the Doctor's most faithful companion.

That's not Martha. That's the TARDIS, manifesting a virtual form to help the Doctor regain his memories. She can only do this because the Doctor is apparently inside of the TARDIS Matrix. Once this has been discovered, the mysterious man with the dodgy beard finally unveils himself: It's not the Master. It's the half-human Doctor, slightly older. And he wants to steal the real Doctor's regenerations.

Really, I love this story. The writer Tony Lee captures the Doctors many voices perfectly, and as I've said before, this miniseries is basically a love letter to old Doctor Who adventures. Pia Guerra, who had a fill-in artist last issue, comes back for pencils this month. The colorist, however, screwed up big time. All shades and gradients are spotty and grainy-- like the colorist used a regular photo-editor to color, but sent everything through MS Paint before turning it in. Of course, there's a chance the drop in image quality could've been a mistake of the letterer or even the editor, but based on the fact that the colorist also went too bright on everything (Martha is more of a bright greyish brown, and the Doctor's blue suit is practically flushed white), I'm going to blame him.

----------

FANTASTIC FOUR #562
Apparently, we all just forgot that Alicia Masters exists.

It's the fabled "Funreal of The Invisible Woman," and we all know it's not the real Sue who died. It was Future Sue. The Future Sue that only the Fantastic Four have met, as she was posing as Val & Franklin's nanny for about a week. Still, for some reason I can't fathom, every damn hero in the Marvel Universe (and I mean even the ****ing Watcher) showed up at the funeral. A funeral where Present Sue gave the eulogy. Oy.

The New Defenders of the future make sure there's no hard feelings as they thank the Fantastic Four for giving them a new planet to live on. In fact, Johnny and Psionics appear to have rekindled their relationship.

Meanwhile, at the Baxter Building, Valeria Richards (super-genius) is building a freaking TARDIS. No lie, Val has been watching new episodes of Doctor Who, and it inspired her to create a small trailer to attach to the back of the Fantasticar. The trailer, which is not only a blue box, is bigger on the inside. No time-travel, though. Reed marvels at his daughter's invention, but Val is worried that her new closeness to her father is going to alienate Franklin. Sure enough, upstairs we see Franklin making out his wishlist to Santa Claus (which I'm 99% sure Franklin is too old to actually believe in, even if he is only 7 again instead of 12 like he should be), asking for superpowers (which he should get when he finally hits puberty 30 years from now).

Later, Reed pays a visit to Dr. Doom, who is currently being held in prison. For some reason I can't for the life of me grasp my brain around, Reed wants to defend Doom at his trial. Sure, Doom just murdered a future version of Reed's wife, has tried to kill the whole Richards family in the past, and has been arrested for crimes against humanity-- but gosh darnit, Reed feels compelled to defend him at his trial. Not that it matters, because Doom assures Reed that he has friends in high places, and that all charges against him will be dropped. Also, Doom mentions that his "master" is coming from across the stars, and that (whoever he is) he's practically the first super-villain.

Come midnight, Ben is close to concluding a date with Not-Alicia, as they fly across the city in a Fantasti-bucket-car. They talk about how Ben just met her parents, followed by Ben making sure she's not a Skrull or a robot or anything. Why? Because their scene concludes with Ben popping the question to Not-Alicia. What will her answer be?

Meanwhile, in New York in another dimension, two shadowy figures arrive unseen by the masses, and they discuss which species to "start with" first: insects or humans. They decides on humans.

Again, I have to remark that I'm impressed by how much Millar has been holding back with this book. Aside from giving Val super-intelligence, he hasn't done any major changes to any of the characters. Truth be told, I didn't think Millar would be able to write a 616 Marvel book with pulling a Grant Morrison (you know, where he changes the book's whole dynamic, totally flips around a few of the characters, and every reader loves his run's bold new direction until its awesomely terrible conclusion), but this kinda feels like a typical Fantastic Four run. It kinda makes me miss Marvel Knights 4, though.

I'd also like to commend Hitch for not taking 4 months to bring us this issue. Well done.

----------

INCREDIBLE HERCULES #124
In this issue: we're all reminded of the sick mating habits of royalty.

The issue opens up with the New Amazons in possession of the Omplasos, a device capable of making its holder's fondest desires come true. Because the city of Atlantis is no longer as important a socio-political site as it once was, the Amazons need to take the Omphalos to Washington DC, where they take it to the Washington Monument. Yes, even their new Queen Artume is aware that the Amazons are going to perform their ritual next to one of the world's most prominent phallic symbols. On the ground, Namora, Hercules, and Athena (in full battle armor, because she's the goddess of the wisdom AND war) arrive just underneath the amazonian ship. Hercules is convinced Amadeus is okay, due to his unparalleled intelligence. However, when they see that Amadeus is being held at gunpoint, Athena reminds Herc that Amadeus' intelligence only works when he's full of junk food.

Artume reveals the image of Atlas, who is holding up the heavens from just above the Washington Monument. Artume frees Atlas of his burden, and points out that Atlas' least favorite trickster (Herc) is right by his feet. Atlas then pulls the Washington Monument out of the ground, and uses it to swat Hercules a few miles away. Herc lands in some sort of aviation museum, and proceeds to throw entire airplanes at Atlas-- it's a distraction, of course, as Namora uses that opportunity to sneak up and punch Atlas right in the godnads. Just before Herc and Namora knock Atlas out, Hercules asks Namora to marry him, which she's not sure how to answer.

Meanwhile, inside the ship, Amadeus is trying to run for his life, when he's saved by everyone's favorite gorgon monster, Delphyne. Turns out she survived getting stabbed in the chest, as that wasn't where her heart was at all. She helps Amadeus break into the vault, where a couple of candy bars are being kept. The two flirt a little, and Delphyne feeds Amadeus some chocolate to fuel his brain. Amadeus peeks out the window, sees some of his gnarly air-math, and tells Delphyne the exact place through the roof to shoot to knock the Ompalos out of Artume's hands (who's been standing on the roof and chanting this whole time). With the Omphalos falling, Hercules tries to grab it, but only gets his fingertips on it, briefly showing us his heart's desire: he and Namora as a couple, having a party with a bunch of ancient Greeks and mer-people. The fantasy soon ends, and Namora tries to grab the Omphalos. She holds it briefly, showing us her fantasy where OHMYGODSHE'SMAKINGOUTWITHHERCOUSINNAMOR!

UGH! My God! I can't unsee it! That thought will be with me forever! There's no getting rid of it. It's... out there.

Anyway, Amadeus grabs the Omphalos next, and we see a fantasy where he's with Delphyne, and the people of New York all love him. This is interrupted when Artume knocks the magical thingy out of Amadeus' hands, finishes her chanting, and creates a world of her own design...

Turns out it's not so bad. Artume is president, and Amadeus (the great man behind every great woman) is an administrator in her office in charge of keeping her schedule. Manica Rambeau is a Naval police chief in charge of investigating a terrorist attack by Atlanteans; the Avengers consist of a Spider-Woman, Invisible Woman, X-23, and an Emma Frost-Phoenix; there are flying cars; and some architecture resembles ancient Greek, Egyptian, and Mesopotamian designs, while other buildings are playfully shaped like roses and pineapples.

Really, it's not the worst scenario you'd think would come from the bad guy taking over the world.

As always, I'm loving Clayton Henry's art, and it'll be sad to see him go. Another artist (who I'm fairly certain is the same person who drew Welcome to Tranquility) handled the first two pages, where I swear a panel with George Washington's face was copied directly from a dollar bill. As always, the writing is crisp, and I just can't see why this isn't a Top 20 book.

----------

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #22
Because of my sheer apathy toward the Gog storyline, this review will be my shortest this week...

FINALLY!

----------

YOUNG X-MEN #9
You know you're trying too hard to make readers like a bad character when...

When we last left off, the Dani & Bobby's X-Men squad were surrounded by a virtual army of tattooed superpowered gang bangers calling themselves the Y-Men. With the team in trouble, a new girl named Cipher had no choice but to step out from hiding, find Ink, and tell him to go help the rest of the team. Like us readers, Ink has no clue who Cipher is, but she's wearing an X-uniform, and she seems to know a lot about him. The two hop in an X-jet, and are on their way to help.

Meanwhile, at the battle, Dani has been shot, and the team is losing. Dust is trying to take Dani to safety, but they're stopped by one of the Y-Men cuts them off. Anole and Rockslide once again quip and make jokes during the fight.

Ink and Cipher arrive at the home of Leon Nunez, the tattoo artist who's been giving everyone powers. Leon admits to using Ink as a guinea pig, testing his newfound tattoo powers (which he discovered for the first time when he gave a girl a lower-back tattoo of a rose that smelled like a rose) to see what they can do. Afterward, he convinced Ink that the powers were his own, and went on to give superpowered tattoos to a local gang he was in debt with. They drag Leon to his tattoo parlor, where they force him to give Ink a series of new tattoos.

Meanwhile at the fight, the best Sunspot, Rockslide, Jonas, and Anole can do is keep themselves from getting hurt. The Y-man who stopped Dani and Dust punches Dust in the face, and threatens to rape Dani. That's when Ink shows up and uses his superstrength-arm tattoo to knock the guy out. Ink then unveils a new tattoo on his palm: the Caduceus symbol for medicine. He heals Dani's wounds, then does the most ridiculous thing ever...

Ink turns into the Phoenix. One of his new tattoos is a phoenix symbol over his eye, like the one Rachel and Jean manifest when they use their powers. In a burst of fire, Ink knocks out all of the Y-Men, and drains them of their powers. Because he's the Phoenix now. Ugh.

Later at Graymalkin Industries, Bobby and Dani are briefing Cyclops about the mission and Ink's newfound powers. It turns out he doesn't have any contact with the Phoenix Force, but just a simulation of it. Nunez's powers work entirely through intent, not symbolism-- meaning Nunez has to know what he's tattooing before he can give it any power. When he tattoos powers on someone, however, that person's new powers are actually slowly draining Nunez. It's like he's using his powers everytime they use their tattoo powers. When Ink described what the Phoenix could do, the related tattoo turned out to be powerful enough to completely drain Nunez. Ink's new Phoenix powers are so powerful, none of Nunez's other tattoos (including everything given to the Y-Men) work. In fact, Ink's little Phoenix episode just put Nunez in a coma. If Nunez ever wakes up from his coma, even Ink will lose all of his powers, and will become some dude with a bunch of regular tattoos.

So the good news: Ink's powers are temporary.
The bad news: he's got a simulation of Phoenix powers.

The issue concludes with Jonas extending his hand in friendship to Ink, as he's the only one who doesn't hate him. Ink remarks that Jonas talks to himself all the time, but Jonas clarifies that he's actually been talking to Cipher every time it looked like he was talking to himself. But just who the hell is Cipher?

All things related to Ink aside, I actually like this book. However, I recently heard that it's been cancelled, and its final issue will be #12. Over in the Young X-Men thread in the X-Men forums, I said how launching this book was a bad idea to begin with. Not because of any creative reasons, but because this book wouldn't be getting canned if it was still New X-Men. Prior to Messiah CompleX, New X-Men was selling fairly decently. It wasn't cancelled due to low sales, but merely so they could relaunch it as Young X-Men with a new issue #1. Young X-Men clearly hasn't been selling nearly as well as New X-Men, and I think if they had simply switched creative teams, they would've retained most of their readers, and Guggenheim's story would still be going strong. Basically, Marvel's gimmicky relaunch did the exact opposite of what they wanted.

I'd also like to point out that the editors screwed up on the cast page. There's a picture of Dani Moonstar, but they wrote Cipher's name under it.

On a side note, the next arc of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN is being advertised as "Character Assassination". The cynic in me replies, isn't that what they have been writing for the past three to four years with him?

Dread's Bought/Thought for 1/2/08:

INCREDIBLE HERCULES #124:
This is my first issue that I have gotten since catching up on the last year's worth of issues via trades and back issues. I know, late to the party, but better late then never. I probably got on this a bit sooner than I got on CAPTAIN AMERICA or INVINCIBLE, which both had been going on well past 2 years before I caught up.

I thought I would begin the review with a blurb from a real conversation I overhead in my comic shop as I was waiting to pay for my books with one of two clerks the shop has. Another customer was chatting with the second clerk.

BUYER: "--and I'm reading INCREDIBLE HERCULES, and I like it, but I dunno why."
CLERK: "It's written quite well, and the art is good."

The little snippet stuck with me because sometimes, myself included, in the rush to maintain knowledge of continuity or in answering hype or following a bigger-than-life name or franchise or whatever, sometimes many fans forget the simple stuff. The idea that enjoying a book doesn't have to be because of a crossover or event or whatnot, because it simply is good. Along the line I think that has been lost on many fans, again, myself included, a bit, and that is why you have many mediocre works with big names or pedigrees selling like gangbusters and a lot of genuinely good stuff never gets a chance by the masses.

Onto this installment of "LOVE AND WAR", Part four. Artume, Princess of the Amazons (like Wonder Woman, only angry and vengeful) along with her fellow Amazons and Amadeous Cho as a prisoner, flies to the new center of the world, Washington D.C. to gain control of the Axis Mundi and rewrite the planet in her own image. Cho is incensed that she seemingly killed Delphyne the teenage gorgan, who he was getting jiggy with, but without sugary foods, his brain is no better than any other schlub. Meanwhile, Hercules, Namora, and Athena are off to Washington to rescue him, and of course a fight ensues. Especially when Artume releases Atlas from his godly weight, and sets him upon the Prince of Power.

As usual, Lente & Pak write the frentic action pace as both fist-pounding and quite hilarious. From Hercules' banter with Namora and Atlas to, of course, some of their tag team tactics against him, the book simply screams "fun adventure", but without that tagline being an excuse for being stupid. Delphyne, as it turns out, survived Artume's attack due to her Gorgan physiology, and helps Cho get his groove back. But, it is too late. After everyone does a round robin with the Omphalos, and we get to see everyone's desires. Hercules seems to genuinely desire to stick with Namora, while Cho wants to be a teen idol with Delphyne and Namora wants to follow in the footsteps of Dorma and Madam Medusa and get it on with her royal cousin. Yes, a bit gross, and played for laughs, but royals do kind of inbreed like that sometimes. Besides, Namora always was a bit infatuated by Namor, hence why she took his name. Artume, however, managed to grasp control and suddenly reality is rewritten in favor of women, with female superheroes and Cho seeming to serve some sort of support role to the regime.

Normally, alternate realities are not my cup of tea, but I don't expect it to last longer than an issue or so. I am certain that Lente and Pak will keep it a fun read, which is why HERCULES works. Most books are an angst, bleak sandwich, and IH isn't at all. Clayton Henry's artwork is really shining for this arc, and I am glad he will return to the book after it is done. The look on Atlas' face was priceless. The only quibble was a coloring issue on Atlas' hand, when he falls and clips the wing of the jet. As three colorists are creditted with the issue, they may have been in a rush.

The Amazons are a bit one note here, but the trick of INCREDIBLE HERCULES isn't really the villains. It is in watching Hercules interact with his compatriots and seeing them banter with each other as they go through all of these insane battles together. The recap page is almost always amusing as well.

Oh, and those plushies in Cho's vision? They need to seriously make them.

Much like CAPTAIN AMERICA, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and NOVA, INCREDIBLE HERC is among the cream of Marvel's crop on practically every level, even if it has it's own niche right now. Later arcs will tie into things and that isn't the point, anyway. Sometimes it is, or should be, all about enjoying books that are "written quite well" and have good art. Way to break it down, Clerk Guy.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #8: People make lists of comics that have "Holy ****!" moments in them, and honestly this comic had one for me at the end. It isn't one that should have been hard to predict, but in a world where few writers actually follow logical conclusions, Abnett & Lanning manage to shine in that regard.

Brad Walker replaces Pelletier on art, as the latter is moving onto art chores for the WAR OF KINGS mini. I must say he is on a good start. He has been able to handle the alien designs and locals rather well, while keeping the artwork looking fluid and kinetic. His Peter Quill took some getting used to, but not as jarring as some fill in's on other books have been.

The story is naturally split across a slew of characters. The old GOTG have split up over revelations that Peter Quill had Mantis telepathically "nudge" them into joining up. That leaves her, Rocket Raccoon, Groot, Major Victory and new recruit (or old teammate) Bug as the ad hoc squad, battling the Badoon on a far off world. While DnA SERIOUSLY need to realize that Groot could actually TALK beyond three words when Giffen wrote him (he's not a damned Pokemon, people!), they do at least give him a good moment, as well as recall the "monsters of Badoon" cyborgs. If anything, these writers always do their homework. They manage to save the planet from the Badoon, but earn the ire of the aliens; Victory hails from a future where they have overrun Earth and the universe, and naturally wants to finish them all off sooner rather than later. Rocket simply is trying to hold the crew together as he trades quips with Bug, who is so much fun that one wonders why he didn't show up sooner.

Elsewhere, Adam Warlock and Gamora, former Infinity Watch members (see, DnA do their homework) chase down a member of the Universal Church of Truth, and after a "pagan" jolly stomp, demand an audience with the leader.

But most of the action follows Peter Quill, the man formerly known as Star-Lord. Feeling guilt over the Phalanx attack on the Kree Empire at the start of ANNIHILATION CONQUEST, Peter tries to warn them of a possible Skrull attack, and breaks into Ronan's inner chamber when he gets no reply. Ronan, as it turns out, got his warning and slaughtered the Skrulls that were dispatched by obligation to keep the Kree from aiding Earth (as if Ronan would have anyway). Ronan is using Babel Spire technology to help rebuild the Kree, and gets into a brief fight with Peter when he feels such technology is too risky. A trip into the Negative Zone later and Peter is stuck where he was last issue, as the prisoner of Blastaar. Turns out Annihilus' former rival has been tasked and aided by Ronan into holding the Negative Zone in check. But Blastaar has his own plans, which involve...

Facility 42, of the CIVIL WAR variety.

I didn't even have to read a word. I saw the page and I pretty much mumbled, "Holy ****!" I mean it was inevitable, but one gets so used to many books just existing in their own worlds that one forgets that Marvel should be intertwined. But that is what DnA, and this new event, and here to fix. Blastaar wants to use 42 to invade Earth!

Now, considering the Nova Corps are on Earth at the moment, part of me is wondering if some sort of crossover is possible. Or maybe if this leads into how Darkhawk gets into space; maybe he's the only one on hand to try to stop the invasion and has to team up with Peter? Oh, the possibilities!

Drax & Phyla are forgotten, but the issue had enough action and events to more than make up for their absence.

While the stuff with Rocket and Adam was fun, honestly it was those last few pages with Blastaar and 42 that had my head buzzing with possibilities and wondering how things will turn out. More importantly, they have me counting down the weeks until the next issue, which is as it should be. As the first WOK tie-in from an ongoing series, it couldn't have gotten off to a better start.

The cover makes Blastaar look weird, but that is the only caveat. Great book.

KICK ASS #5: Running about four months late, but who cares for an ICON book, right? The most amazing thing about this title for me is that it reveals the utter desperation in Hollywood. They not only optioned the movie rights, but are filming it right now, AND THE FIRST ARC ISN'T EVEN FINISHED! If anything was a sign of there being a lack of originality in the movie industry, this was it. And there is a part of me that wonders what will be the bits that are removed. Obviously, the "pretending to be gay to spend time with a girl" bit will be the first to go. I never saw WANTED but the trailer looked little like the comic and I was amazed it did well. Granted, Mark Millar's work offers a lot that movie execs want. It has a lot of gore, violence, and vulgarity, and is able to pretend to have depth and meaning without actually having any. In retrospect, I am surprised Millar wasn't a tinseltown darling YEARS ago.

KICK-ASS is a bit of an awkward work. There are bits that come off as genuinely funny, or human, or even heart rending. And then there is the rest, which is a typical vulgar, violent, bleak Millar-story. All heroes are losers, and anyone who tries to be is in for a life of misery and suffering, while being upstaged by anyone who is nastier. Somewhere in the story is supposed to be a commentary about how the Internet media can be quick to sweep less than qualified people in for fame and get a "nobody" like Dave Lizewski in heaps of trouble trying to live up to his own hype. There even may be a message about how the media is so anxious for a hero that it creates one where none exists; Kick-Ass is a failure. He got hit by a car his first night out. He barely saved a guy from some gang members two issues ago and needed some potty mouthed SIN CITY refugee toddler to save him last issue. This issue, he nearly dies to save a cat.

But whatever messages there are seem buried in needless vulgarity and "look how hip I am for a guy pushing forty" pop culture reference dialogue. A line like "Six weeks ago, I was HEROES Season One. Now, as far as the 'net was concerned, I was season ****ing two" is supposed to count as relevant and special. It just means Millar can read his TIVO. Looking back at his ULTIMATES, all those references did is remind us of how many years ago those issues were, and this will be the same. Hell, HEROES is only on a third year and it's practically forgotten already (as the dwindling ratings state).

In this issue, Dave is irritated that another wanna-be hero, Red Mist (who sounds like a soft drink) is getting all sorts of publicity for raids on the Russian mafia and stealing his thunder. Calling him out on MySpace (ugh), he learns the guy isn't connected to the two creeps he ran into before, but is simply another "a-hole" in a suit like himself. After toking up and going on some joyrides, they come across a fire. Mist doesn't want in, but Kick-Ass is ready to play hero, all to try to save a woman's cat, and get rescued (and chewed out) by fire-fighters. The media, however, is fooled and celebrates him as a hero. Frustrated by his issues with Katie, Dave starts to see his 'net profile move up when the two freaky heroes appear in his room.

The cussin' little girl with the sword and "lock" holding her cape on annoys the ever-lasting crap out of me. She reaks of trying too hard to create a "cool" character, and did last issue. Maybe because I am 26 and not 16, the idea of being obsessed with MySpace and YouTube profiles and whatnot doesn't appeal to me and just seems like shameless pandering that will only remind us of how old it is within a few years.

I want to like Dave; there are moments when he comes off as noble or sympathetic. But there are other times where he just comes across as typical vapid Millar hero who does a lot of cursing and attempts at pithy dialogue and I just lose hope in him for stretches of time.

Romita Jr. as usual does great artwork, although there were some poses where the angles or anatomy seemed a little fuzzy. I am curious why a speedy artist like him is on a book that has fallen four months late, although given that Millar is doing two other books and probably chatting to Hollywood types over the film, despite health woes, I wonder if Mark is behind some of the delay himself. There are a slew of titles I would rather see Romita drawing than this, though. It's like Robert Stack having a voice role in BEEVIS AND BUTTHEAD DO AMERICA; you can only look at a legendary talent stooping to that level and think, "what he is thinking".

Of course, being a so-so ego vehicle for an A-List creative team, it is selling very well. Issue #4 sold about 56k in September, which is great for an ICON title (and only about 5-7k removed from what FF averages). Even better, between reorders and reprints, in October 2008, some 22k issues of KICK-ASS #1-4 sold on shelves despite no new issue accompanying it for the rest of the year. That basically means more reprints and reorders of KICK-ASS's last four issues sold more than new issues of titles like NEW EXILES, AMAZING SPIDER-GIRL, SQUADRON SUPREME, NEW WARRIORS, or even SHE-HULK. ETERNALS #5 barely sold more.

KICK-ASS isn't an outright bad book at all. It certainly has it's moments. But it is striking me as overrated and not nearly as important as it believes it is. Just the cover blurb "THE HOTTEST COMIC BOOK IN THE WORLD EVER" just screams of trying too hard. Unlike INVINCIBLE, it doesn't always back it up (plus, hey, INVINCIBLE sells 15k; it needs a will of steel to exist on the racks next to NEW AVENGERS and BATMAN). At the very least, though, it is $2.99 and the creative team is probably having fun writing & drawing it. Although the fact that KICK-ASS is being rushed to theaters while plenty, PLENTY of deserving comic book franchises never have and never will is quite irritating. One wonders if the failure of PUNISHER WAR ZONE or the ballyhooed THE SPIRIT to earn $25 million, COMBINED, at the box office will put a damper on things.

Honestly, between this and FANTASTIC FOUR, the Four are the better Millar work by a mile. A rare week when both shipped made it crystal clear.

[soapbox]
As a minor note, am I the only one who feels that WAR HEROES, much like AMERICAN DAD (or LIL' BUSH), is an irrelevant concept after the November elections? I mean here is a story that really needed McCain to win to have it seem topical, as it depicts him waging an unpopular "100 year war" against Iran after Washington is attacked by a suicide bomber, which gets so desperate that the only thing that can be done to increase military recruitment is, literally, to turn every soldier into Nuke (a pill popping super-soldier death machine). In an America with Barack "The One" Obama about to take office behind history, a popular win and a globe full of genuine good will, and a Democratic majority in Congress that was increased just enough that the media said, "oh, YEAH, Republicans have been a minority in Congress for two whole years now", and Bush an obvious lame duck, stuff like WAR HEROES just seems like a knee jerk story for an era about to pass us by (much as a Bill Clinton type story would have seemed in 2002-2003). Instead of hating the Republicans for their inefficient rule and corruption (which are fair reasons to hate them), many writers like Millar should be thanking them for years worth of material, and wondering what to do next. I mean, it isn't like any of them would dare write a story in which a Democrat proved to be corrupt or inefficient, y'know, because it does kind of happen in real life, almost, right? I only brought this up because an ad for WAR HEROES was in the issue, before some cool Romita Jr. line art.
[/soapbox]

Last edited:
Re: Incredible Hercules; you'd think in an alternate universe with the gender norms completely reversed, Girlverine would be given the dignity of getting to have 3 entire ****ing claws.

Re: Incredible Hercules; you'd think in an alternate universe with the gender norms completely reversed, Girlverine would be given the dignity of getting to have 3 entire ****ing claws.

That is true, unless it was a universe where Logan either died or whatnot and X-23 lived on. Give her power she may age very slowly and not grow more claws. Maybe Artsume's control of the Mundi was limited and she needed to build her new reality around bits that she knew of in the current one, i.e. characters that already existed, like X-23.

Aside for that...yeah, a bit lame. Probably just to keep X-23 more recognizable as X-23 and not just "Lady Logan" or something.

I am curious as to whether "Spider-Girl" here is Peter's daughter, whether Peter was remade into a girl (ew) or if it could be MJ or something.

I am wondering if Invisible Woman's lone "4" means that here, she was the sole survivor of the space trip.

But, all questions that will be answered next issue. I would guess we will have one issue with this new reality before the 6th and final installment wraps the story.

Call it an issue and a half; usual practice seems to be end of next ish'll be where everyone goes "This reality ain't real!" then halfway through the next one they'll get it put back.

Anyway I was glad to see Delphine hadn't died although the 'gorgon anatomy' explanation was kinda stupid. Also I got a surprising amount of enjoyment out of the picture of Cho wearing a homecoming mum.

I was also glad Delphyne survived. "Gorgon anatomy" is a better explanation than the "I fight a mysterious magical sword man" that Wolverine had for a while to explain how he came back from near-death a few times. :p

But, yeah, that outline of the next issue and a half is also possible.

Well, Perseus had to behead Medusa to kill her. Also, I looked up gorgon monsters just a minute ago, and apparently the blood that comes from the right side of a gorgon's body has the power to bring the dead back to life. I checked last month's Incredible Herc (I have a month-old stack of books I've yet to file away), and Delphyne was harpooned on the right side of her body. I doubt that was intentional by the writer and artist, but I just fanwanked the hell out of "gorgon anatomy."

Well, Perseus had to behead Medusa to kill her. Also, I looked up gorgon monsters just a minute ago, and apparently the blood that comes from the right side of a gorgon's body has the power to bring the dead back to life. I checked last month's Incredible Herc (I have a month-old stack of books I've yet to file away), and Delphyne was harpooned on the right side of her body. I doubt that was intentional by the writer and artist, but I just fanwanked the hell out of "gorgon anatomy."

Fascinating.

Not being sarcastic, that is pretty damn cool. Maybe it was intentional on someone's part...;) I like the comic so I will assume good things about it.

After all, I'm sure Van Lente and Pak do their homework on writing the comic. It's been a mixture of genuine myth and Marvel myth since the start, after all.

Last edited:
I was also glad Delphyne survived. "Gorgon anatomy" is a better explanation than the "I fight a mysterious magical sword man" that Wolverine had for a while to explain how he came back from near-death a few times. :p

True. It just felt forced, like they were saying "Well if we don't outright fatally stab her to death everyone will know she's coming back, so we'll fatally stab her to death... and then bring her back!" Oh well, it's a pretty minor gripe on the whole, especially for a book in which 1. Hercules attacks his enemy with the planes in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum and 2. Namora punches Atlas hismself right in his immortal, Titan-sized ding-dong.

EDIT:

Oh. Okay I take it back, that's actually totally awesome. I actually figure that probably was intentional on their part.

So yeah, Incredible Hercules: Unrelenting passion for mythological esoterica, and forty-story-tall dudes getting punched in the junk.

And there are actually people who can't figure out why they're reading this?

Last edited:
Yeah, Manic did some research and made it work. :up:

But, all questions that will be answered next issue. I would guess we will have one issue with this new reality before the 6th and final installment wraps the story.
This story's only five parts long, actually.

Elswick, I can't wait till you piss off the right person an' get yer sorry ass banned. Every post I've seen from you here has been nuttin' but an attack on another poster. Seriously, get a f***ing life or get the f*** out.

Now, I too will dare to *GASP!* discuss comics on a comics forum with other people who read comics! Marvel at how little life I have! I better hurry and do this quick so I can get my 500 pound fat-ass into the shower before I stink up mommy and daddy's basement!

BOUGHT:
AVENGERS INITATIVE #20
AVENGERS INVADERS #7
BATMAN #684
BLUE BEETLE #34
CAPTAIN AMERICA #45
FANTASTIC FOUR #562
FINAL CRISIS SECRET FILES #1
GREEN LANTERN #36
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #8
INCREDIBLE HERCULES #124
JSA #22
JLA #28
KICK ASS #5
LEGION OF SUPER HEROES #49
MARVEL ADVENTURES FANTASTIC FOUR #43
NEW EXILES ANNUAL #1
PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL #25
PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL #26
PUNISHER WAR ZONE #4
SUPERMAN #683
TEEN TTIANS #66
TRINITY #31
ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #59
ULTIMATE X-MEN #98
ULTIMATE X-MEN #99
VENOM DARK ORIGIN #5
WAR MACHINE #1
WHAT IF SECRET WARS
WOLVERINE #70
WOLVERINE MANIFEST DESTINY #3
X-FORCE #10
X-MEN WORLDS APART #3
YOUNG X-MEN #9

THOUGHT:
AVENGERS INITATIVE #20 - A nice build on the Hank/Jocasta relationship from the one-shot last week, and seems some things are building up there. I was under the impression this book was going out, but hearing Gage is taking it over is fine too as he's a good writer. Overall thought it was handled well, and considering the content they picked some good Avengers issues to reprint in said special. Weapon Zero surprised me as I really didn't get too into that mystery, I'm hoping Hardball isn't as big a jackass as he appears 'cause I liked him with Komodo, and the Tigra thing was pretty surprising, if not expected. I loved Hank's reaction to the news of the two of them too...if I found out I could score someone like Tigra that'd probably be MY reaction as well!

AVENGERS INVADERS #7 - Ultron's back on Earth, folks, and he's making hell for TWO generations of Avengers. Progressing nicely, if not slow, and I love the last page. Only thing is I don't recall when Bucky's sleeve got torn, but eh, it worked out fine.

BATMAN #684 - Life without Bats continues and Nightwing steps up. A decent enough read, hopefully it'll mean something in the grand scheme of the bat-verse coming.

BLUE BEETLE #34 - Another good issue of this soon-to-be-ended series. I give DC credit for letting it go as long as they did, but it just took too long to find it's voice. It took 17 issues for me to even begin to enjoy it, I can only imagine how long it took for the others who stuck around long enough. Shame, character had a LOT of potential.

CAPTAIN AMERICA #45 - Another villain out of a special out the week before, as a villain similar to this one appeared in a reprint in the Captain America Theater of War special. As usuall, Bru does an outstanding job and I'm digging the book.

FANTASTIC FOUR #562 - The only thing this book accomplishes is making me miss Waid and Ringo. These outlandish stories and contrivances seem better suited for classic Excalibur than the FF. Not digging the book at all.

FINAL CRISIS SECRET FILES #1 - The origin of Libra revealed. Nothing too thrilling. I was really hoping for something more along the lines of the older Secret Files books where it had a story and some bios on the characters.

GREEN LANTERN #36 - The origin of the blue lanterns revealed, and things are heating up as all the colors are in place. Hopefully the war of the colors comes out as good as Marvel's Annhiliation event. I've never been big on the space stuff, but the recent Lantern books have pulled me into DC's corner on that front like Annhiliation did for me on Marvel.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #8 - Speaking of Marvel space, the Guardians continue to operate on multiple fronts as the build-up to the next event comes down. As always, DnA do a great job and work well within their own continuity while tying it all into whatever's coming up. Plus with all the ties to the original Guardians coming up I'm thinking to make that my next priority back-issue read just so I can keep up.

INCREDIBLE HERCULES #124 - Another great issue. Gotta say, kinda strange to be seeing the Amazons active here and then reading Wonder Woman as well with a lot of the same characters running around. Of course, the book ends on another pointless alternate future that won't last, but depending how it runs it can definitely be an interesting interlude.

JSA #22 - The Gog story comes to an end, FINALLY. It was decent, but could've been shorter. The victory did seem a little too quick, but it was clever. Also, it was nice to see old Supes get a happy ending some what in Ross' excellent paints. Someday I'll have to pick up Kingdom Come and get to know those characters better.

JLA #28 - A fight that's not what it seems. Looks like we got a mystery brewing here. Hopefully, it's a lot better than the last story was. So far this series has gone from decent to bland. Too much show, not enough substance.

MARVEL ADVENTURES FANTASTIC FOUR #43 - Another fun wordless issue. It makes reading quick, but luckily the art is expressive enough to get the story across.

PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL #25 & 26 - I fell behind on my reading over the last year and a half. I had gotten so busy writing reviews, articles, comic scripts, running a networking chapter and all the other fun stuff life has to offer that it all backed up on me. I had allowed myself to fall so far behind I had gotten PWJ up to #24 before deciding to drop it. Then I heard #26 was the last issue, so I said to myself, self: you were already a dumbass for buying this POS book as long as you did without reading it, you may as well get the last two issues and get a run out of it at least. So, that's what I did. I'm glad it's gone, I never saw the appeal. I sure as hell hope the new Punny series is a VAST improvement over this one. But, I can guarantee you this; now that I'm almost entirely caught up with my recent books, if the new Punny sucks I will know early and drop it quickly. (Well, okay, more of a promise to myself than to you, but you get the idea!)

PUNISHER WAR ZONE #4 - Clones, clones, clones. Basically if you enjoyed Ennis' run on Punny Max, you'll love this. All the goodness in a nice, neat little package.

SUPERMAN #683 - So this pretty much settles it; every other Kryptonian that's not Superman is an *******. I'm hoping a story like this will have long-lasting ramifications on Superman's legacy on Earth. Probably gonna be the springboard to why Supes is in space in the coming months.

TEEN TTIANS #66 - The Titans are looking to recruit as the line-up is being shaken up. McKeever's done pretty well on the book so far, but I can't help but admit I miss the last regular writer some. I was enjoying the direction of the book then and was sorry to see it shift. But, now that all the previous storylines have been fairly wrapped-up, McKeever can shine entirely on his own with his own vision.

TRINITY #31 - As this book degrades further into the mystical mumbo jumbo, I find myself gradually losing interest. There just wasn't enough steam behind this story to last an entire year. I also often find myself more interested in the secondary story than the main one, which I don't think is supposed to happen.

VENOM DARK ORIGIN #5 - And so the origin ends in a decent retelling of everything we may or may not have known. However, one thing suddenly sticks out at me; Venom encountered MJ at Peter's apartment. MJ and Peter were married at the time. How does this book fit into their new Spidey status quo? Hmmm...

WAR MACHINE #1 - So far I'm not impressed with the book. War Machine was never like this back when, so I'm hoping some of his established characterization will shine through at some point. Like most new books, I'll give this an arc, but Pak's strengths have been limited with where he's good. Hulk was awesome, but Skaar is boring. Herc is fun, but War Machine is meh.

WHAT IF SECRET WARS - I think they need to go back and see how the older What Ifs were done. This last batch has been a severe disappointment. Especially the back-up story which started out interestingly enough, but degraded into...something.

WOLVERINE #70 - Another Millar book I'm not digging. This story is utterly pointless. Millar was the whole reason I considered dropping this book once upon a time ago, and it's only the knowledge that he's not the permanent writer that keeps me on. Hopefully, the next arc is as good as the last one ended up being. For now, I can't wait till this crap is over.

WOLVERINE MANIFEST DESTINY #3 - Not much happened in this. A lot of talking, a lot of recruiting, no real action and no real answers. One issue left, hopefully it's a good one.

YOUNG X-MEN #9 - Another meh issue of the book. I'm hoping the rumors of it being canned are true, because this just steps on the legacy of the infinitely superior New X-Men.

VENOM DARK ORIGIN #5 - And so the origin ends in a decent retelling of everything we may or may not have known. However, one thing suddenly sticks out at me; Venom encountered MJ at Peter's apartment. MJ and Peter were married at the time. How does this book fit into their new Spidey status quo? Hmmm...

All of that history still happened. All that has changed is everyone's recollection of the marriage. As far as Peter and MJ are concerned, they lived together at the time, they just weren't married.

All of that history still happened. All that has changed is everyone's recollection of the marriage. As far as Peter and MJ are concerned, they lived together at the time, they just weren't married.

Incorrect. What has changed is in fact the marriage which outright never happened, Peter and MJ don't recall being married because they never were. Additionally the recollections of Spider-Man's identity have been changed in some not yet described way.

Incorrect. What has changed is in fact the marriage which outright never happened, Peter and MJ don't recall being married because they never were. Additionally the recollections of Spider-Man's identity have been changed in some not yet described way.

I'm not sure how Marvel will play this out, but from the indications I've read, it will come across as that the people who knew his identity at the time that these stories were told knew his identity at the time...

However, in some way as you said that has yet to be explained, Peter did something to make everybody forget his identity, as well as going one step further and perhaps making it so that no one will actually ever "suspect" that Peter Parker is Spdier-Man.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"