• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BOUGHT/THOUGHT May 9th

I haven't read any of the New Avengers reviews, most of them at least but did anyone else find it interesting that after the spell of Purity Jessica Drew was coughing and in extreme discomfort?

Who cares if Didio starts up a weekly interview? Ooooh, DC is giving people something they might appreciate--but Marvel did it first! Now it doesn't count!

It counts. I just felt it was interesting to see that Dan finally was doing the weekly thing on Newsarama. I mean, good or bad they always got attention for Joe. I'm actually amazed it took this long for him to find time to do it. It's free advertising.

I haven't read any of the New Avengers reviews, most of them at least but did anyone else find it interesting that after the spell of Purity Jessica Drew was coughing and in extreme discomfort?

I did notice that, although I thought it was just an excuse for yet another rear shot. I mean, heroines do that. You never see a male hero shove his crotch into the camera as much as heroines do. Got to love the male domination of the medium. :oldrazz:

But, considering, she'd have amung the most reason to, since she is a double or triple agent. Or was. Or whatever. Wolverine probably should have felt funky, unless you can be pure of spirit and still wantonly slaughter people just because they go to the wrong bars in Madripoor or something. Plus I really doubt he beats himself over the people he kills every time he gets brainwashed.

I was just going to ask if anyone else noticed that. She was in way worse shape than the other folks, but still didn't trigger enough of a reaction to be "impure." So, what, is it because of all the double-agent stuff? Is she technically supposed to be betraying the team, but is in actuality supporting their cause--thus the slightly rougher reaction?

I was just going to ask if anyone else noticed that. She was in way worse shape than the other folks, but still didn't trigger enough of a reaction to be "impure." So, what, is it because of all the double-agent stuff? Is she technically supposed to be betraying the team, but is in actuality supporting their cause--thus the slightly rougher reaction?

Who knows? Probably another pointless twist by Bendis. I just thought it was funny how it made a baby smile and everyone hunky dory but she was seconds from passing out.

I dunno, the issue brought up the conspiracy thread, AND Jessica reacted to the purity spell? Pretty big coincidence

I didn't buy any comics this week, but I read ASM (good), Thunderbolts (average), Ms. Marvel (average), and New Avengers (average). So, there's my reviews. I know, awesome.

Think I'll pick up Countdown, though my wallet will regret it eventually.

Huh, didn't notice this until you said.

I dunno, the issue brought up the conspiracy thread, AND Jessica reacted to the purity spell? Pretty big coincidence

Wouldn't surprise me. Bendis already rehashed the Ronin plot, why not the quadruple agent plot.

BOUGHT:
AMAZING SPIDER-GIRL #8
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #540*
ANNIHILATION SAGA*
BLACK PANTHER #27
BLADE #9
COUNTDOWN #51
DMZ #19*
GEN 13 #8
GHOST RIDER #11*
HULK AND POWER PACK #3
IMMORTAL IRON FIST #5*
INVINCIBLE #41
MADAME MIRAGE FIRST LOOK
MARVEL ADVENTURES FANTASTIC FOUR #24
MARVEL ZOMBIES DEAD DAYS
NEW AVENGERS #30*
NEW X-MEN #38*
NIGHTWING #132
NOVA #2*
PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL #7*
RED SONJA VACANT SHELL
SPIDER-MAN FANTASTIC FOUR #2
TEEN TITANS #36
THUNDERBOLTS #114*
ULTIMATE POWER #5*
WOLVERINE ORIGINS #14
X-MEN #196
X-MEN #197

THOUGHT:
http://www.215ink.com/reviews_050907_dc.php

I guess. Something did seem to be a little off with his Spider-Man/FF art this week. I think maybe he's just not challenging himself enough artistically. Draw the same stuff over and over again and you get really ****ing bored, then you just don't feel like giving it your all.

Hmm... how about Pascual Ferry? I bet he'd rock the mutha****in' house on a Spider-Man comic. His art on Adam Strange made me think of him on Spidey.

Oh, also Jim Cheung's cover for the next Initiative issue made me really wish he were fast enough to draw a monthly Spider-Man comic. Alas...

Pascual Ferry has gone the Larrocca route. He's stopped actually rendering his drawings and instead relies on the colorist to fill in the rest. He's basically become a glorified outliner.

Jim Chueng's a good artist, but I don't like his Spider-Man. The mask always looks....weird.

I did notice that, although I thought it was just an excuse for yet another rear shot. I mean, heroines do that. You never see a male hero shove his crotch into the camera as much as heroines do. Got to love the male domination of the medium. :oldrazz:

But, considering, she'd have amung the most reason to, since she is a double or triple agent. Or was. Or whatever. Wolverine probably should have felt funky, unless you can be pure of spirit and still wantonly slaughter people just because they go to the wrong bars in Madripoor or something. Plus I really doubt he beats himself over the people he kills every time he gets brainwashed.

Who knows? Probably another pointless twist by Bendis. I just thought it was funny how it made a baby smile and everyone hunky dory but she was seconds from passing out.

Huh, didn't notice this until you said.

Wouldn't surprise me. Bendis already rehashed the Ronin plot, why not the quadruple agent plot.

Ten bucks says it was nothing more than a gag either by Bendis or Yu, referencing Jessica's less than squeaky clean past.

Second Thoughts:

I never get to read that many comics on Thursday. Each Thursday I take my daughter to work with me, and you just don't get that much time to read. Anyway, a few more reviews.

Ultimate Power #5: The second best Ultimate title. (I've come around to Ultimate Fantastic Four and am finally used to the change of writer and artist.) Straczynski gives the reader what they want, mainly plenty of action; and, Land makes it all look great. The biggest problem is that the comic just brings to mind readers have been waiting about seven months since the last regular issue of the Squadron Supreme left us with an awesome cliffhanger, and who knows when we'll finally see the next issue of that comic. This is a quick read; but, if you like action, it's the comic for you. 9/10

New X-Men #38: At first, I hated the new artist...but, by the time I got to the last page, I noticed the art was growing on me. It seems to fit the story, and New X-Men is still one of the better X-Men comics readers can buy. The best part is we have these still fairly new mutant heroes who are continually interacting with subjects from classic Uncanny X-Men comics of the past. This time, Belasco and Magik make their return, and it's all out action from the onset. I'm not sure if the people who appear to die will stay that way; but, damn, what a Part 1 on this Quest For Magik. 9/10

Amazing Spider-Girl #8: Thank God we don't have to have another story involving the Hobgoblin. In this issue, Mary Jane is fighting with her demons over May's determination to be Spider-Girl (a topic that has already been visited enough, IMO, with Spider-Girl's first 100 issues), and a friend of May displays mutant powers at school, making her and her family to deal with how others will perceive them. Solid issue. 8/10

Ten bucks says it was nothing more than a gag either by Bendis or Yu, referencing Jessica's less than squeaky clean past.

A gag in a Bendis comic is a whole plot point.

And even if that was the case, it doesn't make sense and contradicts the whole scene, so Bendis now also fails at humor.:csad:

I don't think Wolverine killing people in Madripoor or anywhere else, for that matter, would make a difference. Dr. Strange specifically pointed out that it was a spell to determine the purity of each of them to the team. Wolverine could've slaughtered a bus full of children and fed them to their mothers for lunch; it wouldn't matter according to the spell, so long as he's not working to bring the New Avengers down.

The Immortal Iron Fist #5 - So, there's not just two Iron Fists; there's seven. And Danny's going to have to fight them all. Thank God, Orson gave the Bible of Kung Fu. That's the big revelation in this issue. Seven Iron Fists. Or, as Orson calls them, "Immortal Weapons". If you want a more indepth review, go elsewhere.

Are the "Immortal Weapons" Iron Fists aswell? I read the issue again, and by what Orson said about them to Danny, It didn't sound like that. Unless i'm wrong...but I think what he meant by "they are like us" is that they are immortal. Seven immortal champions.

Oh, probably. I was just replying to others.

A gag in a Bendis comic is a whole plot point.

And even if that was the case, it doesn't make sense and contradicts the whole scene, so Bendis now also fails at humor.:csad:

He certainly does. Read enough USM and that gets obvious. "Yike-a-hooty" is not a funny one liner. At all.

I don't think Wolverine killing people in Madripoor or anywhere else, for that matter, would make a difference. Dr. Strange specifically pointed out that it was a spell to determine the purity of each of them to the team. Wolverine could've slaughtered a bus full of children and fed them to their mothers for lunch; it wouldn't matter according to the spell, so long as he's not working to bring the New Avengers down.

Touche'. It just is amazing that his Dr. Strange can go to unstoppable god-moding when it comes to escapes, hiding, or finding traitors, but is incapable of defending himself from a ninja. Unless it's an illusion or something.

Are the "Immortal Weapons" Iron Fists aswell? I read the issue again, and by what Orson said about them to Danny, It didn't sound like that. Unless i'm wrong...but I think what he meant by "they are like us" is that they are immortal. Seven immortal champions.

Yeah, I thought that the "immortal champions" weren't Iron Fists themselves but other beings from K'un L'un. The Iron Fist's are "immortal" because there is a legacy of them and because, I guess, they can use their chi to live a long time, or at least maintain fighting vigor (as Orson was fully grown in WWII and after 60 years he can still fight pretty well for a guy who'd have to be in his 80's or 90's at least). A little conveluted because stuff is still a mystery, but the good parts far outweigh any conclusion. I just wonder how Hydra got past Bendis' golden boy Cage.

Answering some points noted here and there, without using direct quotes from 2-3 pages ago:

- I am aware that Iron Man is the director of SHIELD and thus has some legal/international authority on Earth. Yes, in Marvel, SHIELD is international, so he should have a bigger reach than simply the United States. And I know the SHRA can be far-reaching; Iron Man & his troopers went after Storm despite the fact that she was married to T'Challa and thus Wakandan Royalty by law, because she was actually born in the United States before moving to Africa and thus was a U.S. citizen. But the Nova Corps are sort of like the Green Lanterns who sort of have "space cop" jurisdiction. Nova can just up and leave. And it is always interesting to see in NOVA how differently Iron Man presents the law against someone who could potentially kick his arse, vs. someone he greatly overpowers. Someone he feels he can beat, like Prodigy or Spider-Man or no end of resisters, he just gives the "Resistance is futile" speach. But against Sentry or Nova who could probably give all of SHIELD a fight, suddenly he's all, "Well, think it over, good buddy." It's shrewd and intelligent naturally, but it can't help but be noticed. Diamondhead, notably, hasn't been seen since the 90's when he was shattered for the second time in his career (back when Cap had his "energy shield").

Like I said, the book has a "you can't come home again" sort of vibe to this story, and it helps show part of what Marvel sometimes does right; while Joe Q usually ignores the wishes of fans when they ask questions about company policy or offer criticisms, sometimes they do seem to "tap" what the fans want to see and deliver. Ever since ANNIHILATION and CW started, fans wanted this issue, for Nova to go back home and react, and it is happening. Next issue continues that. And when done well it seems organic.

Yeah, I LOATHED Civil War and hate the post Civil War Setting, and even I can see why the writers had to let Rich come home long enough to react. #2 was very well done all around despite the misleading cover. Nice to see Tony actually try the carot instead of the stick, but as you point out, if Nova had been at his old power level, that might not have been the case.

Yeah, I thought that the "immortal champions" weren't Iron Fists themselves but other beings from K'un L'un. The Iron Fist's are "immortal" because there is a legacy of them and because, I guess, they can use their chi to live a long time, or at least maintain fighting vigor (as Orson was fully grown in WWII and after 60 years he can still fight pretty well for a guy who'd have to be in his 80's or 90's at least). A little conveluted because stuff is still a mystery, but the good parts far outweigh any conclusion. I just wonder how Hydra got past Bendis' golden boy Cage.

It's the "they're like us" part that throws me. What does that mean? If he's talking immortality, then I'm confused because while the Iron Fist legacy can be immortal, Danny and Orson are not, but it's implied that the other five are. So does "like us" mean "fellow Iron Fists"? It's really not clear yet.

I'll tell you one thing, though: I can't wait to get further into it.

Second Thoughts:

I never get to read that many comics on Thursday. Each Thursday I take my daughter to work with me, and you just don't get that much time to read. Anyway, a few more reviews.
Shouldnt you be like....Working?

Well, if Strange is satisfied enough with Jessica's non-epileptic reaction to the spell, then it's probably no big deal.

Then again, he might have an agenda as well, which wouldn't be inconceivable. Or maybe he doesn't have an agenda but just didn't let anyone in on Jessica's betrayalness right that moment 'cause it would have been a bad time to do so. Or maybe he did tell everyone secretly with telepathic messages or something, and they're all waiting for the right moment.

Geez, there I go again; giving Bendis far more credit for his writing than he has ever been worth.

To be honest, my initial thought when I read the scene was I just figured Strange made the spell up to quell their distrust.

Damn, I didn't notice Jessica's reaction. Very interesting. I am really enjoying this version of the New Avengers altho I am a little disappointed that Hydra has overpowered them. Seems to me NA (Narcotics Anonymous?) would have kicked some major major butt even if the ninjas were in the hundreds. Not really into the powered-down Spider-Man - seems to me he is the strongest of the Avengers except maybe for Strange's magic - and they ought to show that. In terms of power levels, you got to go with Spidey or Strange first.

It's the "they're like us" part that throws me. What does that mean? If he's talking immortality, then I'm confused because while the Iron Fist legacy can be immortal, Danny and Orson are not, but it's implied that the other five are. So does "like us" mean "fellow Iron Fists"? It's really not clear yet.

I'll tell you one thing, though: I can't wait to get further into it.
I think the "immortal" part of "immortal weapon" simply means the legacy. For K'un L'un, there will always be an Iron Fist, but not necessarily the same Iron Fist. We know that K'un Zi's weapon is also not literally immortal because we just learned that Davos only recently became the current weapon of K'un Zi and we saw Orson kill one of the previous ones. We haven't seen much of the other five cities' weapons, but I'm guessing they're not going to be the same people as the weapons who attacked Orson. Taken in the context of each city having a title for its weapon that is bestowed on various people throughout the ages, "they're like us" probably just meant that those people were the weapons at that moment, much like Danny is the weapon at this moment for K'un L'un. That's how I interpreted it, anyway.

Also, nobody seemed to notice before: What's the deal with Luke Cage being all chummy with Misty Knight and Colleen Wing? I thought the latter two were supposed to be busting his jive-talkin' ass.

Shouldnt you be like....Working?

When I need to work, I do. This job gives me a ton of free time, since it's family own. Plus, if a kid is ever sick or at home, they can easily come to work with me anytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"