• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BOUGHT/THOUGHT May 9th

Is it still Chaykin? Because I tell you, all I hear about him is how he's a legend and such a great artist but his Marvel work is less than impressive.
I'm not much of a fan of Chaykin's style. I don't know exactly why he's so highly regarded. I could see it being more for his writing or layouts or that he just happened to find the perfect project for his style or something. I've always thought his art looks kind of like Frank Miller's current work, and I think Miller's current work is pretty asstastic.

Well...yeah. I was thinking more along the lines of ongoing. I can't see him drawing Spider-Man if it's not on ASM, and it looks like he's not doing that book anytime soon.

It's Picasso compared to the art in Blade.

Is it still Chaykin? Because I tell you, all I hear about him is how he's a legend and such a great artist but his Marvel work is less than impressive.

I actually have not picked up a single issue of the current Blade series, so I'm not sure what Chaykin's work looks like in that, but I've always liked his stuff. I think the last time I saw his work was the Cap issue of New Avengers, and I liked it.

Darthphere said:
I'm seriously thinking if they ever do an Iron Fist movie, they'd be stupid not to base it on this arc

Agreed. This arc is perfect for both old and new schoolers. :up:

JR Jr. drew Peter Parker: Spider-Man a while back. Maybe he'll move to FNSM or SSM this time. Honestly, my orgasmic art team would be JR Jr. on ASM, Garney on SSM, and Ringo on FNSM.

About Iron Fist: How come Luke was all chummy with Misty Knight and Colleen Wing? I thought they were busting jive-talkin', unregistered turkeys over in Heroes for Hire. Luke and Danny are two of the biggest unregistered turkeys around.

JR Jr. drew Peter Parker: Spider-Man a while back. Maybe he'll move to FNSM or SSM this time. Honestly, my orgasmic art team would be JR Jr. on ASM, Garney on SSM, and Ringo on FNSM.

I just came....

to say how awesome that sounds.:dry:

I'm with you until Ringo. I'm just not feeling him these days. He's missing something that I can't put my finger on. I think he realises that too, if you've ever read his blog. The guy's on autopilot, and has been for the past few years.

I'd take Garney and JRJR, of course. Depending on the writer and the tone, I think Maleev would be interesting on a Spider-book. Then there's Jimenez, also. There's a few artists I wouldn't mind handling one of the ongoings.

I can't get the image of Bruce Willis as Orson out of my head.:csad:

Ouch. In a good way.

About Iron Fist: How come Luke was all chummy with Misty Knight and Colleen Wing? I thought they were busting jive-talkin', unregistered turkeys over in Heroes for Hire. Luke and Danny are two of the biggest unregistered turkeys around.
You know, All that art you just named is too clean and similar(sp) for me. I may dislike Medina on SSM a lot, but he helps the feel of the book. I even miss him a bit. FNSM, the art has mostly been good. ASM, I don't hate it, but I'm bored with it.

Posting this from Darth's reviews, because I know people won't click the link, and the review is awesome.

Darthphere said:
Green Arrow #74- Man, Judd Winnick really has lost the touch hasn't he? This book features Black Canary teaming up with both Green Arrows and Speedy to take down Brick, the take down goes wrong, Dinah and Ollie argue and then make out and have tantric sex for 40 hours. I can't make this **** up. It's one of the sloppiest, rushed plot points I've ever read. No set-up, nothing. After years of just having limited contact with each other, they see each other and have sex. Awesome, not really. At least no one got HIV, well except for Mia, who had it already.

Man, I totally forgot I had to buy Outsiders to get the whole "Checkout" story.

Curses.

You know, All that art you just named is too clean and similar(sp) for me. I may dislike Medina on SSM a lot, but he helps the feel of the book. I even miss him a bit. FNSM, the art has mostly been good. ASM, I don't hate it, but I'm bored with it.

BLASPHEMY! :cmad:

I'm with you until Ringo. I'm just not feeling him these days. He's missing something that I can't put my finger on. I think he realises that too, if you've ever read his blog. The guy's on autopilot, and has been for the past few years.

I'd take Garney and JRJR, of course. Depending on the writer and the tone, I think Maleev would be interesting on a Spider-book. Then there's Jimenez, also. There's a few artists I wouldn't mind handling one of the ongoings.
I guess. Something did seem to be a little off with his Spider-Man/FF art this week. I think maybe he's just not challenging himself enough artistically. Draw the same stuff over and over again and you get really ****ing bored, then you just don't feel like giving it your all.

Hmm... how about Pascual Ferry? I bet he'd rock the mutha****in' house on a Spider-Man comic. His art on Adam Strange made me think of him on Spidey.

Oh, also Jim Cheung's cover for the next Initiative issue made me really wish he were fast enough to draw a monthly Spider-Man comic. Alas...

Trying to use logical reason to figure out what's going on is just going to frustrate you.

The plot doesn't bother me, probably because I'm not really using my brain when I read the book.
I...see
emot-raise.gif

Answering some points noted here and there, without using direct quotes from 2-3 pages ago:

- I am aware that Iron Man is the director of SHIELD and thus has some legal/international authority on Earth. Yes, in Marvel, SHIELD is international, so he should have a bigger reach than simply the United States. And I know the SHRA can be far-reaching; Iron Man & his troopers went after Storm despite the fact that she was married to T'Challa and thus Wakandan Royalty by law, because she was actually born in the United States before moving to Africa and thus was a U.S. citizen. But the Nova Corps are sort of like the Green Lanterns who sort of have "space cop" jurisdiction. Nova can just up and leave. And it is always interesting to see in NOVA how differently Iron Man presents the law against someone who could potentially kick his arse, vs. someone he greatly overpowers. Someone he feels he can beat, like Prodigy or Spider-Man or no end of resisters, he just gives the "Resistance is futile" speach. But against Sentry or Nova who could probably give all of SHIELD a fight, suddenly he's all, "Well, think it over, good buddy." It's shrewd and intelligent naturally, but it can't help but be noticed. Diamondhead, notably, hasn't been seen since the 90's when he was shattered for the second time in his career (back when Cap had his "energy shield").

Like I said, the book has a "you can't come home again" sort of vibe to this story, and it helps show part of what Marvel sometimes does right; while Joe Q usually ignores the wishes of fans when they ask questions about company policy or offer criticisms, sometimes they do seem to "tap" what the fans want to see and deliver. Ever since ANNIHILATION and CW started, fans wanted this issue, for Nova to go back home and react, and it is happening. Next issue continues that. And when done well it seems organic.

- I do agree that 'Ringo's art doesn't seem as "fresh" as it did in the past, but quote frankly when you see stuff like, say, Oliver in ULTIMATE X-MEN utterly failing with most action sequences, you don't mind it when an A-Level artist (least in terms of Spidey, IMO) sometimes puts in B-class work.

- NEW AVENGERS naturally suffers from Bendis' decompression and utter reliance on stories he has done, ad nauseum. It reminds me of Claremont hopping on a book and doing, say, yet another "brainwashing" story or something. It's part of why I do respect BKV's decision to leave while he's still fresh and not spending his career collecting a paycheck for repeating himself, like some writers do. CW did improve the quality of NA without question, but it also put a year-long halt to a story that Bendis already was moving at a slow burn. There is suspence, but if it drags on too long, then the audience realizes they will never reach that carrot and lose interest.

Oh, also Jim Cheung's cover for the next Initiative issue made me really wish he were fast enough to draw a monthly Spider-Man comic. Alas...

Thats why you give the cat a 6 issue head start.

I'll also add that while I didn't get ANNIHILATION SAGA (as I felt THE NOVA CORPS FILES already served that role for me), Marvel did get it right having a recap book be under $2 in time for the sequal of said event to come out, for those who missed it and don't feel like reading the HC's. Of course, considering it had no new material, charging full price for it would have seemed like robbery, but it's good to see Marvel for once getting their priority straight, seeing it for the ad that it is and keeping it low priced to get it into as many hands as possible. Well done. No complaints.

And it also looks like with the launch of COUNTDOWN, NEWSARAMA is going to have a weekly chat with Dan DiDio, likely DC's attempt to finally compete with NEW JOE FRIDAYS. I just wonder if it is a day late and a penny shy, like a few of DC's manuvers lately.

Who cares if Didio starts up a weekly interview? Ooooh, DC is giving people something they might appreciate--but Marvel did it first! Now it doesn't count!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"