BOX-OFFICE potential in the Multiverse of Madness

This movie will be critic proof to some extent. It's a bit like Aquaman in that regard. The film is so visually stunning it makes up for a lot of it's shortcoming. Also this film got decent reviews, it didn't certify fresh because of the top critic rating. Overall, these are good ratings.

Marvel's strategy changed from the early days and it's added to the BO success of its movies. At first, they made pretty much standalone movies with some teases of things to come. Who can forget the Avengers tease in the credits scene of IM? Now, after their huge successes, the movies tend to be more interconnected and feed on the successes of earlier movies. MoM is a perfect example of this.
Yeah, especially for sequels.

Marvel's strategy changed from the early days and it's added to the BO success of its movies. At first, they made pretty much standalone movies with some teases of things to come. Who can forget the Avengers tease in the credits scene of IM? Now, after their huge successes, the movies tend to be more interconnected and feed on the successes of earlier movies. MoM is a perfect example of this.
Personally, seeing Character B show up in Character A's movie is my jam. This is what I feel is working for the MCU.

Personally, seeing Character B show up in Character A's movie is my jam. This is what I feel is working for the MCU.

I like it too and it certainly isn't hurting their bank accounts.

Crossovers in comics are what really pushed them to the next level for me, and I feel the same now with the film universe. It makes every film like part of a massive whole and makes it worth watching every film as part of the larger story rather than picking and choosing what immediately appeals and ignoring the rest. The MCU is giving me a similar experience to what comics did for me all these years.

Crossovers in comics are what really pushed them to the next level for me, and I feel the same now with the film universe. It makes every film like part of a massive whole and makes it worth watching every film as part of the larger story rather than picking and choosing what immediately appeals and ignoring the rest. The MCU is giving me a similar experience to what comics did for me all these years.
Unless it's a team movie I guess? I don't necessarily need someone to appear in a FF movie but if they show Spider-Man swinging into the Baxter building, I'd lose my s't.

Is Doctor Strange now more popular than Harry Potter?

Is Doctor Strange now more popular than Harry Potter?
Not on his own, no way lol. But the MCU is way more popular. Strange individually is probably more popular than nearly all individual HP characters. Saying that he would make an amazing Master of the Dark Arts teacher in a Harry Potter film, as would Scarlet Witch.

I get the site is called Superhero Hype, but come on. Dr. Strange is not more popular than Harry Potter. Doesn't matter what JK Rowling did.

If you wanna say the MCU as a whole is more popular? Sure. But Dr. Strange himself? Not even almost.

I think it's not a good question to begin with. HP doesn't really exist anymore. During the time of the movies, I'd say no, but if you look at recent box office numbers of the movies DS is in, the lines blur "a little bit". Of course, these weren't all DS movies. HP had 8 movies dedicated to him and his friends. No other character really had that kind of run. I kind of feel like it's comparing things that are difficult to compare.

And JK really has harmed her franchise (along with not so great movies LOL).

There are HP sections of Universal in 4 parks across the World as well as some pop up store in NYC that sells butterbeer. Yeah Fantastic Beasts isn't exactly blowing people away but this is still a very profitable franchise.

Some of the big franchises do very well with core titles but interest drops off fast for spin-offs. For the MCU I would count the team films like Avengers and Civil War the core titles and the solos as the equivalent of spin-offs (even thought the universe launched with solo films). You have the likes of BP as a $700m domestic monster. Cap Marvel with $1.1B was just about scraping into the top 10 of MCU. Ragnarok at $854m globally was a middle of the pack film for box office (ranked 13 off 26 before Eternals). There’s nothing like the MCU.

And why do you think these are bad box office numbers? We're talking about a post-pandemic sequel to a 36 year old movie. These are very solid.
I didn't say anything about bad boX office numbers.

Didn't you quote my post when I said Doctor Strange 2 has the entire month for itself, which is true. Downtown Abbey 2 has a different audience and is a sequel to a movie thatbgrossed 200 million worldwide... how is it a competition. Top Gun Maverick is a sequel to what an 80s film, coming out in the last 4 to 5 days of summer. And yes it would be lucky to gross half a billion which is pretty good for a franchise that has been inactive for decades.

Where in my post I mentioned "Bad boX office numbers" for those movies. I just don't think those movies are competition for Doctor Strange 2.

Didn't you quote my post when I said Doctor Strange 2 has the entire month for itself, which is true. Downtown Abbey 2 has a different audience and is a sequel to a movie thatbgrossed 200 million worldwide... how is it a competition. Top Gun Maverick is a sequel to what an 80s film, coming out in the last 4 to 5 days of summer. And yes it would be lucky to gross half a billion which is pretty good for a franchise that has been inactive for decades.

Where in my post I mentioned "Bad boX office numbers" for those movies. I just don't think those movies are competition for Doctor Strange 2.
May isn't the last days of Summer

Well, no one expects Maverick to make anything close to the numbers of Doctor Strange overall, and it doesn't have to, for it to have an impressive run proportionally to the size and expectations of the franchise itself. But it will probably still be big and it's going to make Strange lose steam by the end of the month, by getting more screenings and create buzz and hype for something else. That's what competition means in this case, not that it's going to be as huge of a film. So the direct box-office comparison felt pretty pointless.

This will certainly make money and profit but I'm not expecting it to reach Avengers or Spider-Man's level box office Shattering records. No Way it makes a Billion dollars

Audience score on RT are coming in just under 90%. This thing is critic proof. Not much strong competition coming out in May either until Top Gun Maverick. Disney learned their lesson from the horrible decision to put Black Widow on premier access at the same time as the theater release. The pandemic for all intents and purposes is over. This is also the first May release for Marvel since Guardians Vol 2. They moved both IW and Endgame a week up in April. I feel the mojo is working again for that first May weekend release.

This will certainly make money and profit but I'm not expecting it to reach Avengers or Spider-Man's level box office Shattering records. No Way it makes a Billion dollars

I dunno man. I think this is gonna have a monster opening weekend this weekend. And even though some fans are divided i think audiences are gonna eat this movie up. I think it has a good shot at $1B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"