• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shazam Box Office Thread $

'Black Adam' Global Box Office Crosses $250 Million

Black Adam continues to rule the box office, with a current total of $250 million globally.

The film, starring Dwayne Johnson, made $7.5 million on its second Friday and has now earned an estimated $39 million this weekend from 76 overseas markets, including France, Holland, Turkey, Germany, Denmark, and the United Kingdom, among others. Proving its international hit status, the film has also amassed a $139 million cumulative audience to date, boasting an estimated 29 million total admissions—and has also seen a +42% tracking ahead of the 2019 DC film Shazam.

Last edited:
All in all this is not a horrible result but its not good. Without China this will be considered a flop--not a major flop but a monetary loss nonetheless. I'm rooting for this movie, as messy it is i had a really good time and I'd like to see these characters again in a better written movie.

It seems that China release date was fake from an early promotional poster. Have to say it’s somewhat disappointing so far and it may be also a factor of CBM fatigue in general.

Fact that this is making similar to Eternals when it was released during middle of Omicron with a shorter window to streaming tells how strong the Marvel brand is and how much untapped potential WB isn’t utilizing.

The marketing did this movie no favors either. Idk if the marketers just didnt know how to advertise the movie or what but those trailers sucked and did not sell the movie. This movie needed Suicide Squad level promotion to get butts in seats.

This movie may not be considered a bomb, or totally unsuccessful, but obviously it has underperformed. So is it a failure, flop, a huge mistake, a fiasco, a nightmare , a hiccup, a wreck, a bomb, a flash in the pan, a bust, a sinking ship, and how does it affect the DC Universe?

My guess of 500 million was obviously very optimistic :whatever:

It’ll be lucky to go much over 400.

Banned in China apparently because Pierce Brosnan was wearing Dalai Lama insignia during an interview. Also, Black Adam has now fallen behind Shazam in daily box office.

Also, Black Adam has now fallen behind Shazam in daily box office.

Steeply behind I might add. The Monday/Thursday drop has been rather severe. Its domestic gross is now 15% ahead of Shazam after 14 days (was 18% ahead after last Sunday). I think it’s going to miss 160M dom and will end up way short of 400M ww.

Either way, it’s going to be another money-losing proposition (at least in theaters) for WBD and it might be quite a while before they recoup their investment. What it means for the future of the DCU is anyone’s guess but it makes it painfully obvious that the task ahead is momentous.

That’s right. Financially WB is in a pretty tough position, and if it doesn’t prove that it can churn out money spinners, financing for future big budget movies will be a headache, especially given the rising rates and tightening credit market now. It will be hard to convince lenders and investors your next $200m blockbuster will give them decent returns (or pay back the loans for that matter) if you stop showing that you can.

Disney is fortunately enough to have other good revenue streams to give film division a comfortable cushion in rainy days (still I think it is under lot of pressure BP and Avatar need to do very well since it hasn’t been a banner year for Disney films), WBD doesn’t really have much atm.

Last edited:
Banned in China apparently because Pierce Brosnan was wearing Dalai Lama insignia during an interview. Also, Black Adam has now fallen behind Shazam in daily box office.
Really? Wow, Dwayne gonna be pissed! That is going to be a huge hit for overall box office in that case.

Steeply behind I might add. The Monday/Thursday drop has been rather severe. Its domestic gross is now 15% ahead of Shazam after 14 days (was 18% ahead after last Sunday). I think it’s going to miss 160M dom and will end up way short of 400M ww.

Either way, it’s going to be another money-losing proposition (at least in theaters) for WBD and it might be quite a while before they recoup their investment. What it means for the future of the DCU is anyone’s guess but it makes it painfully obvious that the task ahead is momentous.
I think WBD would have to just rely on Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash post-2023. While Joker films seem limited, even if the sequel does well, it doesn't gonna benefit movies like Zatanna, Static Shock moving forward.

Suicide Squad 1 was a fluke. Birds of Prey and Suicide Squad 2 flopped. Another Green Lantern film needs a MCU boost which DCU lacks of. Shazam 1 did okay but it looks like it would have a sophomore slump at the boX office. Blue Beetle is Blue Beetle.

It looks like James Gunn is up for a huge challenge.

Wearing it in a recent interview, or some interview that was years ago? Not that it matters ethically ( because **** the CCP ), but it would suggest which end of the cart the horse was hitched to.

Wearing it in a recent interview, or some interview that was years ago? Not that it matters ethically ( because **** the CCP ), but it would suggest which end of the cart the horse was hitched to.

It was supposedly a recent interview although I'm not sure which one.

I think WBD would have to just rely on Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash post-2023. While Joker films seem limited, even if the sequel does well, it doesn't gonna benefit movies like Zatanna, Static Shock moving forward.

Suicide Squad 1 was a fluke. Birds of Prey and Suicide Squad 2 flopped. Another Green Lantern film needs a MCU boost which DCU lacks of. Shazam 1 did okay but it looks like it would have a sophomore slump at the boX office. Blue Beetle is Blue Beetle.

It looks like James Gunn is up for a huge challenge.

The first of which has to be to keep budgets under control. I mean I feel like I’m stuck in a loop that gets me back to the MoS days, but launching a franchise, no matter the IP or star power attached, with a movie that has a 200M+ budget is a huge gamble that very rarely pays off. The reason why Shazam! did « ok » and earned itself a sequel is because it was a cheap venture that didn’t need 600M at the box office to break even. The reason why the MCU was able to become this sprawling Cinematic Universe is because they managed their money well from the get go. The success of Iron Man not only allowed them to finance a sequel but also to mitigate the losses from The Incredible Hulk and Marvel Studios then waited until The Avengers, their 6th film and a crossover event at that, to spend upwards of 200M on any projet. But at the same time the prevailing opinion at WB/DC seemed to have been « lets cheat our way to that level of success by throwing 900M at Snyder for 3 movies ». Wonder Woman and Aquaman kinda went against that trend with more modest budgets (and did very well at the Box Office), but Wonder Woman 84, now Black Adam, the Flash next year (which originally was supposed to have a smaller budget) all fell back into the same trap. I really hope Gunn and Safran will have enough leeway to break that cycle early on.
Not every movie needs a 200M+ budget and a cinematic universe doesn’t have to be built on 200M+ movies exclusively either. Just like it would be a mistake to sidestep lesser known characters to only focus on A-listers.

No way are we seeing a Black Adam 2. WB will bury their head in the sand, take the loss on this despite Zaslav's thriftiness, and possibly announce a Superman x Black Adam feature.

I maintain Black Adam should never have had a solo feature. He should have been an end credit tease in Shazam and then the main antagonist in the upcoming sequel. I don't know if WB overestimated the character or Dwayne's ego simply got in the way, but this all felt misguided from the start.

Last edited:
Just like it would be a mistake to sidestep lesser known characters to only focus on A-listers.
Well that would happen eventually when Shazam 2 and Blue Beetle both underperformed or worse, flopped. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are all tried and tested. I would like to think the Flash is going to be a win for them regardless of Ezra Miller. After Birds of Prey, The Suicide Squad and now Black Adam, do you think the new eXecs at WBD is really going to gamble with another lesser known DC character? It is the same management that basically canceled a finished film Batgirl.

Best case scenario, they would use Superman, Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman to help launch a film for other characters, like Civil War did to Black Panther and Homecoming.

More and more im anticipating The Flash despite the drama with you-know-who. All the word around the street is Muschietti knocked it out the park so I hope this becomes a smash hit for DC because DC desperately needs it. I dont think Shazam is gonna do much better than Black Adam.

More and more im anticipating The Flash despite the drama with you-know-who. All the word around the street is Muschietti knocked it out the park so I hope this becomes a smash hit for DC because DC desperately needs it. I dont think Shazam is gonna do much better than Black Adam.
Whatever Shazam 2 makes,
It will be more than it would have made against Avatar 2, The Way of Water.

Well that would happen eventually when Shazam 2 and Blue Beetle both underperformed or worse, flopped. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are all tried and tested. I would like to think the Flash is going to be a win for them regardless of Ezra Miller. After Birds of Prey, The Suicide Squad and now Black Adam, do you think the new eXecs at WBD is really going to gamble with another lesser known DC character? It is the same management that basically canceled a finished film Batgirl.

Best case scenario, they would use Superman, Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman to help launch a film for other characters, like Civil War did to Black Panther and Homecoming.

Gunn absolutely would.

The DC film earned an additional $4.7 million on Friday, down 37% from its numbers one week ago. “Black Adam,” which hasn’t faced much major competition since its release in October, is expected to put up a healthy hold, expanding its domestic gross beyond $120 million. It’ll be the Dwayne Johnson film’s last round ruling the box office, with Marvel’s “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” set to land a massive opening next weekend.

Box Office Mojo Stats:

DOMESTIC (47%)
$123,576,000
INTERNATIONAL (53%)
$139,000,000
WORLDWIDE
$262,876,000

Starting to think it won't cross 400M worldwide. Means WB will end up losing around 100M.

Good riddance.

Let this crash and burn and maybe after another 10 years we may get another good DC movie that's not directed by Matt Reeves.

Latest update via Comic Book.com

Black Adam remains in the top spot at the box office for the third weekend. The film that gave Dwayne The Rock Johnson the biggest opening of his career as a leading man, and that crossed $100 million domestic in its second weekend, will add $18.5 million to its domestic total in weekend three. That brings its domestic gross to $137.4 million. Black Adam hasn't had much competition in its three weeks at the box office thus far, but that will all change when Marvel Studios' Black Panther: Wakanda Forever opens on Friday, likely taking that top spot from the DC movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"