Comics Brand New Day Discussion Thread

If you took out Menace, replaced him with Norman, and added MJ, then yes, I could agree with you.

I hate freakin' Menace! :cmad:

Uh...Norman is in the story. You know the premise is Norman unleashing the Thunderbolts on Spidey, right?

From The Cup o' Joe panel at NYCC just a few minutes ago;

While Alonso was still talking about this issue, Marvel Comics icon Stan Lee joined the stage, saying "Who here is responsible for Spider-Man being single again?"

He then added that he thought it was "a great idea," and then gave Quesada some compliments before leaving.

Updating

Uh...Norman is in the story. You know the premise is Norman unleashing the Thunderbolts on Spidey, right?

Yes, I know. But I want him as the Goblin, not this stupid imposter. I want him to know who is under the mask. I want him to hate the man, not the costume.

MJ is Menace. I just feel like that's the twist that's gonna be thrown at us.

Jackpot is a rejuvinated Aunt Anna, or an alternate dimension baby May, or maybe it's a crossdressing Ben Reilly...

I really can't wait to see what explanation they come up with for Jackpot's identity. It just can't be MJ, its waaay too obvious. On the other hand, it wouldnt make sense fot Jackpot to be anyone other than MJ. Like i said, i cant wait to see what kind of explanation they come up with for this.

If you took out Menace, replaced him with Norman, and added MJ, then yes, I could agree with you.

I hate freakin' Menace! :cmad:
IMO, Menace is very cool Villian. I still think Mr. Negative may be a bit cooler and interesting, but as I said, they both are awesome. :up:

I really can't wait to see what explanation they come up with for Jackpot's identity. It just can't be MJ, its waaay too obvious. On the other hand, it wouldnt make sense fot Jackpot to be anyone other than MJ. Like i said, i cant wait to see what kind of explanation they come up with for this.
Jackpots a skrull :oldrazz:

You do have a point. I mean, they even showed on the cover of ASM Issue # 560 a ripped up part of the newspaper showing Jackpot and MJ pictures and it says "stunning similarities" or something like that. I mean, would they really make it so obvious or are they trying to trick us? Hopefully, we'll know mroe about this.

We already saw who Jackpot is.

IMO, Menace is very cool Villian. I still think Mr. Negative may be a bit cooler and interesting, but as I said, they both are awesome. :up:

I finally read two issues of BND (no, I didn't buy them) and I can offically say that BND is easily the worst comic EVER. It's like Spidey for kids. Diet Spidey or something. It's terrible. And the villians are just straight up ******ed. After 6 years of JMS and people are willing to read this suck fest? People will eat anything as long as it has Spider-Man's name on it I guess.

I finally read two issues of BND (no, I didn't buy them) and I can offically say that BND is easily the worst comic EVER. It's like Spidey for kids. Diet Spidey or something. It's terrible. And the villians are just straight up ******ed. After 6 years of JMS and people are willing to read this suck fest? People will eat anything as long as it has Spider-Man's name on it I guess.

You must have really hated the first 250 issues of Amazing Spider-Man then, eh?

:csad:

You must have really hated the first 250 issues of Amazing Spider-Man then, eh?

:csad:
But is it really so unconceivable for someone to like a later version of spidey over the original?
Actually, as a loyal fan of the early 2000s spidey, I thought I’d give a shot at the Essentials.
I thought, if people liked the 60’s Spider-Man so much to keep him alive for so long and actually try and replicate some of the aspects that made the comics of that age so ‘great’, I’ll definitely like it too, right?
Boy, was I wrong. I can honestly say I can’t stand Stan Lee’s Spider-Man. He’s just not my generation. I’d pick JMS’s 2001-2004 run over that any day. Suffice to say, I never bought any more essentials past spidey’s Vol.1.

I guess it just depends on taste, i grew up in the 90's but i can still enjoy the Lee/Ditko/Romita days. They were corny yes, but then again, peter was so young back then that it was acceptable. Plus thats how comics were written back then, they reflected the era they were living in. Remember, the 60's and 70's were a very corny, groovy, psychedelic era. It was the era of scooby doo, Adam West Batman, disco, soul, everything was just more innocent back then, so its only natural that comics were written in a similar manner. Nowadays, we live in very different times than the 60's. We live in the age of violent, mature television shows live 24, the Shield, Prison Break, Nip/Tuck, The Sopranos, The Wire, heck even the super hero show "Heroes" is a very mature show. And don't get me started on the state of music today. But my point is, comics are usually written to reflect the times they're in, it makes them feel more real to the readers even though it is fictional reading. JMS had created a Spider-Man for the 21st century, he was still the same Peter Parker but just more updated.

BND is trying to bring things back to a more 70's feel, i'm not quite sure thats a bold move. The best way to make a relatable character to have him reflect the modern times. They've already been doing that with IronMan, Captain America, Daredevil, and Ironfist, and look how successful those series are. If ASM could achieve a more natural, modern feel, like JMS did, then i'd have absolutely no problems with BND.

Are you trying to say that JMS had bad Issues? If so, then I have to disagree to a certain degree. His run with JRJR was awesome, but once Sins Past and all that happened, it just got bad. Anyway, Dan Slott is such a great writer, so I don't see why people wouldn't atleast try to read a few Issues. All the other writers have been great so far as well.

Also, I wouldn't eat anything that has Spider-Man's name on it. However, I'm willing to give things a chance. OMD, there was no chances. That was doomed from the start and even though I bought every Issue of the storyline, it still was a very bad story.

BND is trying to bring things back to a more 70's feel, i'm not quite sure thats a bold move. The best way to make a relatable character to have him reflect the modern times. They've already been doing that with IronMan, Captain America, Daredevil, and Ironfist, and look how successful those series are. If ASM could achieve a more natural, modern feel, like JMS did, then i'd have absolutely no problems with BND.
I understand that, of course, and it was part of my point. As I said, it’s not my generation.
And by the way, mature shouldn’t necessarily mean violent and vice versa.
Check out Lost and Battlestar: Galactica.
Today 15 year olds develop mind capabilities similar to those of 30 year olds in the 60s. They became much more observing and analytical, no more accepting things at face value. But most of the staff at Marvel is stuck in that 60s-70s nostalgic mindset because that’s what they liked when they were kids. If they want to keep up with the mindset of today they must become more aware of it. At the same time that’s why Captain America and Iron Man are so good. They are adults and comic book writers can pour more of their own experiences and perspectives in them. It’s the regression to a teenager’s state that doesn’t quite work for them.

Today 15 year olds develop mind capabilities similar to those of 30 year olds in the 60s. They became much more observing and analytical, no more accepting things at face value.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this statement, and we'll have to pleasantly agree to disagree and chalk it all off to a generation gap difference of opinions...

I happen to know 15 year olds today (as I am currently 40 year old). I knew 15 year olds 10 years ago (when I was 30), and it just appears to me that as I get older, the younger kids do not seem to care nor seem as astute as the kids did when I was that age, and again, I'm willing to bend that comment along the lines of a generational difference... but what I can attest to is that when I was 15 in 1982, kids that age seemed to be more on the ball when it came to politics, environment, religion, state of world affairs, etc... Kids today may be knowledgable of all those things, but they come across as very indifferent to the point that they look and/or appear stupid and completely uncaring of everything, which is why I disagree with your comments. Back in the 60's, 15 year olds and even 30 year olds were matching lines and stood up against corrupt politics why people nowadays could not care less even though they watch possibly the most ignorant and corrupt President that ever defiled the hallow halls of the White House... and I also know that I am generalizing here as I do understand that there are brilliant kids today that do care and give a rat's arse about the affairs of the world, just as I am also aware that there were ignoramus kids 40 years ago...

Just my two cents...

Mike :yay:

:batty:

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this statement, and we'll have to pleasantly agree to disagree and chalk it all off to a generation gap difference of opinions...

I happen to know 15 year olds today (as I am currently 40 year old). I knew 15 year olds 10 years ago (when I was 30), and it just appears to me that as I get older, the younger kids do not seem to care nor seem as astute as the kids did when I was that age, and again, I'm willing to bend that comment along the lines of a generational difference... but what I can attest to is that when I was 15 in 1982, kids that age seemed to be more on the ball when it came to politics, environment, religion, state of world affairs, etc... Kids today may be knowledgable of all those things, but they come across as very indifferent to the point that they look and/or appear stupid and completely uncaring of everything, which is why I disagree with your comments. Back in the 60's, 15 year olds and even 30 year olds were matching lines and stood up against corrupt politics why people nowadays could not care less even though they watch possibly the most ignorant and corrupt President that ever defiled the hallow halls of the White House... and I also know that I am generalizing here as I do understand that there are brilliant kids today that do care and give a rat's arse about the affairs of the world, just as I am also aware that there were ignoramus kids 40 years ago...

Just my two cents...

Mike :yay:

:batty:
Well, I just wanted to say that since I'm 14 and I'm in high school, I see the way kids act and how they react to political stuff. Alot of kids in my school are extremly dramatic and to be hones, I don't I've ever heard a kid in my school say anything about politics except once. I'm different than other kids, I care about the next president and about the whole world. I'm sure there are tons and tons of brilliant minded kids out there that care about things like that such as me and my friends. I just wanted to add my thoughts. :yay:

Jackpot is either MJ...which is corny and the obivous truth.

Or even lamer YET....it could be someone else...a new sueprhero...who is not only fighting crime...but trying to LOOK and TALK like MJ while being a new superhero all at the same time.

Well, I just wanted to say that since I'm 14 and I'm in high school, I see the way kids act and how they react to political stuff. Alot of kids in my school are extremly dramatic and to be hones, I don't I've ever heard a kid in my school say anything about politics except once. I'm different than other kids, I care about the next president and about the whole world. I'm sure there are tons and tons of brilliant minded kids out there that care about things like that such as me and my friends. I just wanted to add my thoughts. :yay:

And a very welcomed 2 pennies they are ... :word: :word: :word:

While I don't disagree with your last comment, I just happen to believe that kids like you are in the minority... but please keep it up... you're our only hope.

and you can read the last line in my post in a Princess Leia voice all you want :csad:

And a very welcomed 2 pennies they are ... :word: :word: :word:

While I don't disagree with your last comment, I just happen to believe that kids like you are in the minority... but please keep it up... you're our only hope.

and you can read the last line in my post in a Princess Leia voice all you want :csad:
I'll defenitley keep it up. :word::up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"