Brie Larson is Captain Marvel!

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by kvz5, Jul 23, 2016.

1. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Registered

Apparently, a few morons wanted CM played as some combo of a Ellen DeGeneres/Amy Schumer over-the-top caffeine monkey type.

No one cares what they think. Brie did just fine. Storywise, it's a middle-of-the-pack Marvel movie which was perfectly entertaining as is.

2. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

Margot Robbie's performance as Harley Quinn was anything but subtle, and it was almost universally praised. Many people said she was one of the few good things about Suicide Squad. That was my point.

[​IMG]

No funny faces, uh? And yet between the over the top Robbie and the 2deep4u Larson, the latter is not the one whose performance received unanimous praise... maybe because her acting wasn't appropriate for the character she was playing.

And speaking of rudeness... because of my dislike for this movie, so far I've been called an incel, a troll, a sexist and now a moron.

But yeah, I'm the one being rude.

#1877 Abudefduf, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  3. I Am The Knight

I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

Yes, there is no need to attack Abudefduf for his deep hatred of the Captain Marvel film :o

4. WhoMani

WhoMani Registered

So basically you don't like Captain Marvel? :wow:

5. Holy Slapper

Holy Slapper Registered

Well Harley Quinn as a character is already the type that really can't be played with small gestures but requires going all out.

6. Kane52630

Kane52630 Model 101 Series 800

Abudefduf is having a sale on strawmen arguments! baw gawd!

#1881 Kane52630, Mar 21, 2019
    Chesterfield, Holy Slapper and doink like this.
  7. Thome216

Thome216 Registered

Let's try and remember that we are all Superhypers and basically on the same side. It would be great if personal attacks could be left in the trash, no matter which side of the divide one is coming from.

As with any movie, there are those like and praise, and those who did not. Some say she was wooden, some say she was lively, it the end it all comes down to personal taste and expectation, which is no reason to cause insult.

WhoMani and Naglfar like this.
  8. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Registered

I liked the movie and I hope to be seeing it again soon.

9. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

As opposed to Captain Marvel, who is famous for her quiet personality.

10. flickchick85

flickchick85 Mod of Might

Compared to HQ, sure. I’ve never seen KSD’s Carol as a cartoonish type. Quippy and sarcastic, not cartoonish. Harley is VERY over-the-top in comparison.

11. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

Not every superhero needs to be played as some kind of larger than life persona. Heck, my favorite hero in the MCU is Steve Rogers. He's the total opposite of any of that! I don't see Chris Evans giving an over the top performance. He's quite subtle and subdued as the good Captain. Are we going to say he sucks and needed to play him louder?

At the end of the day, it's up to the actor's choice. I think Larson did a fine job with Carol, and her personality shined through well. I don't concur with this assessment that she was too restrained. I found the opposite. She was having loads of fun, and that fun was infectious.

Shuri, doink, kvz5 and 5 others like this.
  12. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Registered

It is interesting that we are talking about
    Carol Danvers and Harley Quinn.
    They just couldn’t have more different personalities.
    Not to mention entirely different life experiences.

Shuri and Webfoot Hero like this.
  13. Thome216

Thome216 Registered

Keep in mind she was finding herself in this movie.

But still, there were scenes of her just letting loose and reveling in what she was doing while she was finding out about herself. Screaming back at that Skrull. When she finally got the 'mufflers' off her hands. When she was literally flying through ships and fighters. There's one shot with her arms and legs spread wide and she's pretty much going 'woo-hoo!' while destroying one of those fighters. Then there's her stare down with Ronen and doing that fist pound.

To me that was the opposite of a quiet personality.

Shuri likes this.
  14. Holy Slapper

Holy Slapper Registered

When she has had her memories back. That was not the case in this movie yet.

15. Speed Force

Speed Force Goober

"You guys wouldn't happen to know how these things come off, would ya? No? Fine"

"Arm wrestle for the tesseract?"

doink and Naglfar like this.
  16. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Pretty much my thoughts on Larsons performance, I really enjoyed it.

17. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

You guys seem to have missed that the only reason I brought up Harley Quinn was because an user with a Harley Quinn avatar tried to tell me that people prefer subtle performances in their comic book movies, and I was just pointing out the irony in their statement given that Robbie, unlike Larson, was universally praised for her Harley.

At no point did I say that I want Captain Marvel to be like Harley Quinn… at no point. What I said is that I wanted Brie Larson's performance to be more energetic and less stiff and restrained.

But I can see this is going nowhere. I'll leave you guys to discussing Larson's subtle eye acting that so many peasants like me are apparently failing to appreciate. I'm out.

#1892 Abudefduf, Mar 21, 2019
  18. WhoMani

WhoMani Registered

Maybe the user knows Carol and Harley are two different characters. Harley is a larger than life character while Carol is a more reserve character. It would be like comparing Chris Evans performance as Captain America to Ryan Reynelds performance as Deadpool.

19. Patrick77

Patrick77 Registered

I agree that there's no need to be antagonistic in either direction. It's possible to have a difference of opinion on how the character was portrayed.

Even though I did like the movie initially, I didn't really connect with the emotional beats until the second time I saw it.

Having said that, it's not pretentious or condescending to note that the actress, and the movie as a whole, made some very specific choices, having to do with a journey of self-discovery. It's not even handled in a pretentious or heavy-handed way.

But it's definitely the core of the movie, and I personally see it as a positive.

20. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Registered

That was actually a very important part of her performance.
    It was a journey of self discovery.

doink likes this.
  21. Thome216

Thome216 Registered

When you wrote that, it was my impression that you were stating sarcastically that you thought Larsen's portrayal (as opposed to HQ) was too quiet and reserved, as is opposite of the comics.

My apologies for the misinterpretation.

22. Heretic

Heretic Registered

Brie Larson wasn't playing Captain Marvel in this film...or most of it anyway.

She was playing an amnesiac whose life, as far as she was aware, was nothing but learning how to be a soldier...and...as part of her training...she was constantly being told to limit her emotions.

I'm not sure how else people would want that character played.

Shuri, Webfoot Hero and Holy Slapper like this.
  23. Speed Force

Speed Force Goober

24. TWayneP

TWayneP Registered

First off, I'm sorry to spark such passionate bickering haha. I really didn't mean to upset or offend anyone with my comments, or one sidedness. I was just stating that I think acting in these types of movies do need to utilize subtlety, to be effective to the viewer, especially origin films or first impressions. RDJ does show it, plenty of times. The best actors in the MCU do show it, that's why a few of those movies are great. Thor in Infinity War on the ship talking to Rocket is a key example, without the subtlety that scene could have been written off as another comedic Thor scene, joking about how everyone has died but him and he’s amazing and strong. BUT through all of that, you feel his anguish, through this facade that he puts on, over his extreme hurt. That scene alone justifies Thor: Ragnarok’s existence. There are many layers at play. Brie puts this on display many times. She plays her part in this origin perfectly, at least as it was meant to, as it even plants seeds for blooming later. We will see how she does in Endgame, now that she is more sure of herself and has broken free from her inner turmoil and controlling relationship with Yon Rog and the Kree. She will be written much differently, and I have confidence that Brie will bring it.

Now, me having a Harley avatar is indeed for the irony, like you mention. I love her expression, like she's trapped in a bad movie and knows it. Though I thoroughly hate that film, I do love Margot's Harley, as she represents the comic book character well. If you examine her performance, it is cartoonish for the most part, as is precisely called for, but she does show subtlety that really helps her connect with the audience. There needs to be a balance respective to the character, and that's one of the reasons she is so praised, along with RDJ as Stark because there’s a balance. Pictured below is the scene that won me over because through the "2deep4U subtle eye acting", we as an audience connect with her and feel along with her, in her loss and struggle with identity in a mere 10 seconds.

[​IMG]

Harley is a larger than life personality even for the pages of a comic or animated series, and for Margot to go this far with a ridiculous role in an AWFUL movie, is why she's praised.

Much like Brie Larson and how she respectively represents Captain Marvel. Now I'm no expert on Captain Marvel, but I know she isn't as outlandish as Tony Stark, or as wild as Harley. She does have a sarcastic, playful personality, but is reserved and stoic. She’s a warrior and leader. So the subtlety of her performance may be slept on by many. I understand that. But the balance is there. Here is how I feel… I so deeply appreciate Larson's performance in this movie because it resonates so much with me. It's as if I was watching myself on screen. This is the first time ANY MCU character has accomplished that for me and been so relatable. If I had no memory of the past I wouldn't know how to carry myself, I wouldn't know what to do. I’d always be fighting with my outgoing side, because I'm an extreme introvert and refuse to show emotion at times, but I have a fantastic sense of humor and warmth. I put up a brick wall to protect myself when people challenge me. Especially when I'm dealing with inner turmoil. The perfect example of this is when Carol and Fury are in the records room looking at files, Fury misunderstands the situation. She is so overwhelmed with what she is finding, she then sees herself in the photo, she shuts down in near disbelief. It's exactly something I would feel. Fury asks "you good?" or something to that effect, and she replies with a simple "mmhmm" and a subtle eye movement that says her thoughts are “I need to be alone, I need time to process this, but I’m also being level headed, controlling my emotions like I’ve been groomed to by the Kree“. There’s layers to it. The music builds and builds as we see her struggle to come to grips with what she is seeing. There's no room for a quip or an overly expressive face, because it defeats the purpose of the meaning. This is the turning point where her natural humanity comes into play. She’s starting to realize she was a normal human. (which all comes full circle in the climax). The whole theme of the film is humanity, finding the humanity in yourself. Cartoonish/exaggerated shallow expressions are not going to be as relatable to the audience. There's just no need for it beyond what's called for. Otherwise it would feel gimmicky, like how some of the Guardians, Dr. Strange or Ant-Man films do.

Due to what I've experienced, the past feels like shackles holding me down. The way the movie curates Carol's rise to ownership over her identity connected with me so much that it brought me to tears. A freaking silly marvel comic book movie did that, without me really being a fan of the comic character, nor a HUGE fan of most of the MCU. Carol breaks her shackles when she realizes she IS human, and is capable of so much more now because of her finding herself. She was lost, her new found power is relative to her new found identity. Without that subtlety in her performance leading up to that, people like myself would not have connected with her going Binary. Now, I totally understand if you can’t relate, everyone has different life experiences of course, and different people want different things out of their comic movies. but this is exactly the kind of emotional response the movie was actually aiming for. Her performance is very particular in that way. It is intentional. I’m not trying to say her performance is “too good” for this movie, it’s not, but it’s of higher caliber than most would like to give it credit for. That’s how I feel anyway!

I could talk about this movie and Brie’s performance for days on end, and if anyone is willing to rebut and discuss any of my feelings I’ll gladly do it in a more respectful manner than I may have with my post before! And thank you if you did happen to read my lengthy post haha. I tend to ramble a lot, but that’s when my deeper thoughts tend to bubble up.

#1899 TWayneP, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Shuri, Webfoot Hero and Speed Force like this.
  25. Erik Lensherr

Erik Lensherr Registered

Brie Larsons directorial debut

#1900 Erik Lensherr, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Iceman, opert and Naglfar like this.